As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] Mean Streets of Gadgetzan arrives Dec 1st!

• Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    Well Beneath the Grounds is hilariously more effective as a one of then i thought it would be on ladder today.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What is this rating system Krip is using to pick his Arena cards?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1JxEkXtWW4
    Full disclosure: they pay him to use it.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    this day9 stream is great

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2016
    for this brawl i ran a priest deck with lots of things to steal minions

turn one i stole a huanted creeper and then rez'd it

dude quit immediately

Vanguard on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »
    this day9 stream is great

i don't get the appeal

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    day9 implores his chat to go over to Toast's chat and spam END.

chat upholds good sportsmanship and immediately spams END in day9's own chat.

Well done twitch chat, today you were adequate.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I think this brawl was designed for hunter players to feel less sad.

envoy1 on
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    a dark part of me wants to know what went through that warrior's mind when I dropped Reno at 2 hp as a druid.

Roz on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    a dark part of me wants to know what went through that warrior's mind when I dropped Reno at 2 hp as a druid.

"WHO THE FUCK PLAYS RENO DRUID WHAT IS THIS CRAZY MOTHERFUCKER DOING"

• Options
    CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    Probably the same thing most people would think: "gimmick deck, don't have to worry about playing against that again" while he auto-queues into three more games that finish before your next one. :D

76561197967491341.png
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I think I don't know how to play aggro.

Specifically, tried an aggro shaman from hearthstonetopdecks.com, and proceeded to go 50% with it. I have no idea when to trade, or if I trade at all. I feel extremely vulnerable when I leave minions, especially against the control classes.

Aggro has little to no card draw, so your priority is ensuring you get the maximum damage out of your cards. Sometimes you use burn inefficiently to get more damage out of minions. For the most part you trade to

1: Protect your own minions from trades that will cost you damage in the long run.
    2: Kill high priority minions that will extend the game or cost you damage (Priest of the Feast, Fandral, Armorsmith, etc.)

The first is usually your focus in the early game while you're still playing non-charge minions. Ideally you're removing minions with burn outside of value trades. Around turns 4-5 it usually becomes card inefficient to continue preserving minions with burn, and board clears start coming into play regardless of your opponent's board state, so you transition to lobbing everything at the face and rely on reach once they've traded down your board.

Trading for minions after that point that heal, produce taunts, or snowball value takes more judgement, as much as people like to meme about leaving Fandral up always being the wrong choice. If he has a Priest of the Feast you need to evaluate whether he's likely to heal up more damage from it than you put into killing it (say you've got an Arcanite Reaper and a Kor'kron, an especially inefficient trade of 9 damage into a 6 health minion, but possibly worth it if you suspect he's got enough spells to heal for more than 9 with it), will getting healing out of it force him to make different plays (like casting Pain instead of developing a taunt), and whether a board clear is coming and you're trading minions that will be gone next turn anyway. Sometimes you just don't have enough damage in your hand to clear a minion and also finish the game, so the only play is to go face and hope he can't get value out of it (the case with a turn 6+ Fandral a great deal of the time).

Pirate Warrior is a much more one dimensional aggro deck than decks like Face Hunter and Aggro Shaman. You have only a single card (Mortal Strike) that can deal damage through taunt, no Steady Shot for persistent card free reach, and weaker finishers (no Doomhammer + Rockbiter). It relies entirely on a strong early curve into winning on turn 5-6. Hunter and Shaman were much more capable of taking games later, to around turns 7-8 and sometimes even 9-10 and still winning. Because of this it plays much more 'all-in', where if the game goes longer than you like your only recourse is to pray to topdeck some burn. That doesn't mean you were necessarily making the wrong choices, just that that's the deck's weak point.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Ugh. What a terrible Hearthstone day. Everybody running bullshit decks. Play my rogue and it's all pirate warriors. Switch to aggro and it's nothing but control decks. Can't draw Reno to save my life. Nzoth always at the bottom of my deck. Patches in my opening hand or draw three goddamned games in a row.

Made a bunch of really bad plays I regretted immediately. Started tilting but kept playing anyway. Finished the day about 50% or perhaps slightly under.

The worst part is... I want to keep playing.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    this deck is not good.

but my god, when it wins it feels soooooo gooood

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    this brawl sure is dumb.

I had 3/3 ratpack then used infest on the 6 rats.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I'm not debating the quality of patches at all this is just a question

If we can make a deck of 30 cards better than patches would it still be worth running? Like, it thins your deck to get you to better cards. But if you had to remove a key card to fit it that would be bad right? You'd be thinning by removing something you want

I am asking, I have no idea how this works. I get the statements about the cars but it seems to require the card being good. A 0/0 that played itself wouldn't get you excited, unless your thirty card deck has junk already. I guess arguably some pirate war cards, if they don't do damage that turn are replaceable.

I hope this makes sense.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

If we can make a deck of 30 cards better than patches would it still be worth running? Like, it thins your deck to get you to better cards. But if you had to remove a key card to fit it that would be bad right? You'd be thinning by removing something you want

I am asking, I have no idea how this works. I get the statements about the cars but it seems to require the card being good. A 0/0 that played itself wouldn't get you excited, unless your thirty card deck has junk already. I guess arguably some pirate war cards, if they don't do damage that turn are replaceable.

I hope this makes sense.

A deck of 30 cards better than Patches is worse than a deck of 29 cards better than Patches.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Think of Patches like Paladin Secrets. They are not good cards on their own, but any card is good when played directly out of your deck.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

I hope this makes sense.

A deck of 30 cards better than Patches is worse than a deck of 29 cards better than Patches.

Right, because Patches is "free." So really, you would look at the other cards in the deck, and cut the weakest of those, and that makes you a better deck.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Magic has no max card limit and a 60 card minimum. Noone runs 61+ card decks because the smaller your deck the more consistent it is. Patches is the same concept, a way to make your deck more consistent by shrinking

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular

I hope this makes sense.

Ok the thing with Patches is he is literally infinite value. No card cost and no mana cost means in terms of value he is the best card in the game.

There are exactly 2 ways Patches can be a detriment. If you draw him before you can play a pirate (unlikely in pirate decks thanks to Mulligan). Or if you go to fatigue. Highly unlikely since pirate decks are typically very aggressive.

Imagine that Patches replaces the 30th card in your deck. In a pirate deck your never going to reach that 30th card so who cares how good it might be?

• Options
    new thread title:
    [Hearthstone]: Yes, Patches the Pirate is a very good card.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    Magic has no max card limit and a 60 card minimum. Noone runs 61+ card decks because the smaller your deck the more consistent it is. Patches is the same concept, a way to make your deck more consistent by shrinking

LIES! Battle of Wits for all competitive play!! :D

Nothing better than seeing a judge shaking his head while he has to help you shuffle after each shuffle effect.

76561197967491341.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

https://youtu.be/8i-x-raHlPU?t=412

(Skip to 7:00.)

hippofant on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you. That'd what I was asking but I couldn't find it.

Much appreciated.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    kime wrote: »

Right, because Patches is "free." So really, you would look at the other cards in the deck, and cut the weakest of those, and that makes you a better deck.
    No. Patches' effect only makes a deck better when the deck has enough tribal saturation to consistently draw a pirate before you draw Patches. Patches' strength is reliant on the number and quality of other pirate cards available to the player. The utility of using non-pirate cards in a deck may well outweigh the 29-card deck consistency advantage.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    oh my god...

r2Bn39n.jpg

The ONE time I was on the cusp of living the dream, this guy simply refuses to jaraxxus all game and actually ends up taking over the board and killing me without it. There is no justice in this world.

• Options
    InqInq Registered User regular
    oh my god...

r2Bn39n.jpg

The ONE time I was on the cusp of living the dream, this guy simply refuses to jaraxxus all game and actually ends up taking over the board and killing me without it. There is no justice in this world.

That's rank 3 play for you. If you know you're running sac pact and you get thought stolen and the card never gets played... you should probably not turn into Jaraxxus.

• Options
    Maybe this is the wrong place, but I was thinking of doing some game commentary from professional matches and commentating on the decisions, etc. Is there a good way to do that without just letting the stream run in the background and overlaying on top of it?

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Did you actually steal it or did you pop it from a discover card? If you thought stole it, its interesting tech, but the threat of just getting comboed out would surely be enough to prevent your opponent jarraxusing.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Maybe this is the wrong place, but I was thinking of doing some game commentary from professional matches and commentating on the decisions, etc. Is there a good way to do that without just letting the stream run in the background and overlaying on top of it?

I'm not really sure what you mean. Like window capturing the muted stream with OBS and recording sound from your mic instead? That's how I'd think to do it.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Think of Patches like Paladin Secrets. They are not good cards on their own, but any card is good when played directly out of your deck.

Patches is like an opposite Far Sight, where the discount happens up front rather than afterwards.

And it has board presence, and does 1 damage, and comes out turn 1. But the deck thinning aspect is similar!

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    omg I have screenshots for you guys, so so many screenshots

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Ok but would you run 30 Patches if you could? Yes, yes you would.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    As long as it only pulled up to the full board limit and not just your entire deck (which is how it should work in theory), then yea.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    30 Patches would probably not be that bad. You'd do 7 damage a turn starting on turn 1. Your opponent would need 4 board wipes in their first 5 or so turns, that's basically only Shaman/Warrior and only if they can draw it.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    15-5 (shoulda been 16-4, missed lethal, never lucky BabyRage) with this from 13-3 to 9-4 tonight. Really fun for me in a way that none of the other decks I've toyed with have been.

t09rxw9a88jn.jpg

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    A game where Ysera hard carried against Jade Idol Druid:
    51YWejA.png

This poor pirate warrior:
    Su0cvRW.png

This game wasn't even fair, my hand looked great and then got better:
    cQsgIzE.png

uNZOhmY.png

If you look closely at the logs, you can see I played Doomsayer on turn 2

• Options
    30 Patches would probably not be that bad. You'd do 7 damage a turn starting on turn 1. Your opponent would need 4 board wipes in their first 5 or so turns, that's basically only Shaman/Warrior and only if they can draw it.

It even beats 30 Mind Blasts!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Remember that fun first week before everyone on ladder was playing aggro shaman again, that was cool, sigh...

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    15-5 (shoulda been 16-4, missed lethal, never lucky BabyRage) with this from 13-3 to 9-4 tonight. Really fun for me in a way that none of the other decks I've toyed with have been.

Looks like Thijs' list from the other day, -1 Brann, -1 Jade Spirit, -1 Mistress of Mixtures, +1 Undercity Huckster, +2 Shadow Strike.

I agree with cutting Jade Spirit. Also don't feel like Brann adds too much here either, so that's fine. Looks good. Shadow Strike has felt sort of clunky to me lately though, how's it been for you in this meta?

76561197967491341.png
This discussion has been closed.