As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

boston [chat]

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    okay so it says that in Europe the chickens are vaccinated against salmonella, so maybe I should try to find someone who's vaccinating against it before buying unwashed eggs? hm

So long as you're properly cooking the eggs and are careful about what raw eggs touch it isn't a huge issue. You should be doing the latter anyways and the first is really just like don't prepare steak tartar with them unless you really trust the farmer.

isn't the salmonella not in the raw egg, but on the shell? so just wash your egg before putting raw egg on stuff?

or have i been led astray

Salmonella is in the raw egg if the chicken carries it

Washing eggs might offer some protection if your egg comes from a non salmonella carrying chicken that is nevertheless in close contact with chickens that do carry it

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I read a bunch of the Westworld thread and man whenever there's a show with mysteries some people get all kinds of holier than thou and upset the show isn't just giving them everything. I fucking loved LOST and maintain that a shitload of people still don't understand the ending. Westworld is right up my alley so far with the mysteries and hints. ARGs are fun and you don't have to engage with them if you don't want to, so why do people get so bent out of shape when they exist as part of a show? Mysteries and hints and fan theories are fun!

I know what you mean.

Ending of Lost:
    Everyone was actually baked into a giant apple pie before the show even started.

Most people do not understand that.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Even in the midst of funeral arrangements, gf's mom found time to make her Scottish friend try to say "burglar alarm"

It took him six tries and they were all laughing hysterically by the end

gobluss

israelis have a lot of trouble with flat a's

try to talk to a heeb about john coltrane. they will say the word sex a whole lot

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Do not read unless you enjoy the fiery coldness of rage coursing through your veins
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/15/us/veteran-meal-restaurant-trnd/index.html

I heard about that. I was convinced it was a made up click bait story.

I was wrong.

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    did you smash chu

nah. everyone i went out with is in a relationship.

also given the context that would have been gross

what if we were on the exact same level of drunkenness, both thoroughly unable to demonstrate consent to one another

at that point maybe it's less gross and more pathetic

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I accidentally reset a VIP's password in active directory because I was looking at the wrong onenote for the username

Do I tell anyone or do I just let the user fail to log in, call us, and get a reset and go on with her day

• Options
    Drez wrote: »
    I read a bunch of the Westworld thread and man whenever there's a show with mysteries some people get all kinds of holier than thou and upset the show isn't just giving them everything. I fucking loved LOST and maintain that a shitload of people still don't understand the ending. Westworld is right up my alley so far with the mysteries and hints. ARGs are fun and you don't have to engage with them if you don't want to, so why do people get so bent out of shape when they exist as part of a show? Mysteries and hints and fan theories are fun!

I know what you mean.

Ending of Lost:
    Everyone was actually baked into a giant apple pie before the show even started.

Um it was a papaya, did you not even watch the show

smh

• Options
    did you smash chu

Yes.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Do not read unless you enjoy the fiery coldness of rage coursing through your veins
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/15/us/veteran-meal-restaurant-trnd/index.html

I heard about that. I was convinced it was a made up click bait story.

I was wrong.

I say this recognizing I will feel differently later maybe but

I want that old man in the trump hat doxxed hard

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    did you smash chu

nah. everyone i went out with is in a relationship.

also given the context that would have been gross

what if we were on the exact same level of drunkenness, both thoroughly unable to demonstrate consent to one another

at that point maybe it's less gross and more pathetic

Literally on top of a dropped pizza slice, restaurant napkin inexplicably stuck to your butt cheek

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    @y2jake215 the Tea Party was 1773 not 1776

• Options

I know what you mean.

Ending of Lost:

Um it was a papaya, did you not even watch the show

smh

The whole POINT OF THE SHOW was that a papaya and an apple are one and the same.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

i just picked a random but feasible date

curse my lazy bostonian blood

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    y2jake215 wrote: »

i just picked a random but feasible date

curse my lazy bostonian blood

You fool.

You've trafficked in falsehoods and ruined an entire generation of children.

Drez on
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1D9m2Gkq7s

@override367

the kid in the very beginning of this clip is literally any time i eat

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I accidentally reset a VIP's password in active directory because I was looking at the wrong onenote for the username

Do I tell anyone or do I just let the user fail to log in, call us, and get a reset and go on with her day
    Tell her, but do it by saying that someone tried to log on too many times and her password reset. Tell her to make sure that her password is one she can remember so it won't happen again in the future.

zepherin on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

of course you keep that under your hat

you know how this works

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

depends on your org, but that'd be something you'd want to proactively fix at my company as they wouldn't be able to get email on their phone, etc, and you probably don't want them calling the help desk if you can avoid it

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

This shit happens. It's best to let them call in because otherwise an honest mistake turns into needless paranoia and witch hunting on the part of the customer. They have no problem accepting their password needs resetting, but they will never believe their password was accidentally reset. No, surely you are hacking their gibsons.

• Options

Do it to every other user, call it a "widespread system issue" then sit back and do nothing for 3 hours. Then fix it for everyone.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

Could backfire and couldnt. Is this manager tech savy/generally smart? Have trust issues with IT? For my techs and the microscope we are under I would have them document and call individual and assist with resetting of password directly. But we are being watched pretty intensely.

• Options
    Just start a fire in an office

preferably not your own office

• Options

This shit happens. It's best to let them call in because otherwise an honest mistake turns into needless paranoia and witch hunting on the part of the customer. They have no problem accepting their password needs resetting, but they will never believe their password was accidentally reset. No, surely you are hacking their gibsons.

ima tell them, but this is going to be an official incident elevated to the CIO for sure

sigh

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Like seriously, let any sysadmin that has access to user accounts and a reset system of any kind that has never done this cast the first stone on accidentally resetting the wrong account.

If you cast a stone you're a fucking liar btw

Ludious on
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure I accidentally reset the wrong password for someone while being first tier university help desk support.

• Options

ima tell them, but this is going to be an official incident elevated to the CIO for sure

sigh

you're causing your own gypsy curse this time

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Pretend it never happened @override367, and hope no one goes to investigate the system logs of the domain controller to see who reset it.

If confronted about you doing it, go "oh I must've accidentally clicked that when I was resetting someone's password the other day then"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

sigh
    It totes will, that is why you need to make it their fault. You are holding the hot potato.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    haha, all the real IT people are liars and tricksters!

• Options
    The fake IT people are too.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Could backfire and couldnt. Is this manager tech savy/generally smart? Have trust issues with IT? For my techs and the microscope we are under I would have them document and call individual and assist with resetting of password directly. But we are being watched pretty intensely.

Seeing as VIPs forget their own password and/or how to type every other week, password problems never come back on IT.

Like, when they do straight up forget they blame IT anyway.

Why take the heat when you can just say "yes, yes, I have no idea how it could have happened, I'm so sorry" like you do every other week when it's the VIP's fault

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    make sure to be condescending about how they forgot their password

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options

We do this because override is about to get shit on.

It's an honest mistake, it happens to literally all of us, but at one point in our career we were just a little too honest and someone made our fucking week miserable because of something so stupid.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

There is no "real IT people" it's just people who figured out how to use google and convince everyone they know what they're doing

I am 90% sure when you get hired to be a sysadmin you wake up with white hair like a nerdy version of Tim Allen's Santa Claus.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    zepherin wrote: »
    The fake IT people are too.
    Pretty much all humans, in fact.

EDIT: At the very least, we all lie to ourselves.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

lie? Not at all. Hell you can note on the user account you accidentally did it. You can be completely honest internally.
    Never tell the user because they rarely believe the truth. Users are paranoid as fuck. Especially if you're talking "VIPs" (protip that's almost always code for Old as Fuck outside silicon valley)

• Options
    Pretend it never happened @override367, and hope no one goes to investigate the system logs of the domain controller to see who reset it.

If confronted about you doing it, go "oh I must've accidentally clicked that when I was resetting someone's password the other day then"

nobody will investigate it, this user is bad at computer and everyone will just assume she fucked it up just like her brother did (the other owner, the one who I was supposed to be resetting)

she's actually really nice though, I don't mind telling her, the problem is the fucking CIO is holding a sales meeting in the help desk area for no reason and if he hears me explain it to her he's going to MAKE AN EXAMPLE because he's that kind of asshole

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

I know what you mean.

Ending of Lost:

ADimage5_jpg_627x1000_q85-300x163.jpg

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    If your options are :

A) Pretend like it never happened and go on with your life and feign ignorance
    or
    B) Admit you made a mistake and have your company escalate the "problem" to the CIO/CTO so they can bitch at you about a stupid mistake

it seems pretty obvious what the real answer is

• Options
    Like seriously, let any sysadmin that has access to user accounts and a reset system of any kind that has never done this cast the first stone on accidentally resetting the wrong account.

If you cast a stone you're a fucking liar btw

I couldn't do that.

I specialize in fire magic. Never learned earth magic.

This discussion has been closed.