As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ME Andromeda: Early Impressions Out, Divert All Power To Spoiler Tags

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    as other have said, my biggest problem with Modern Bioware is that they seem to be reluctant to iterate on the formula they know works

one of the best examples I have is that their idea of romance in video games hasn't evolved since mass effect 1

they've got Horny that belongs squarely in 2004

while the games are certainly workmanlike in quality, to the point where it can be easy for some people to overlook any major flaws, I expect them to improve on what they have

they've done it before, going from ME 1 to ME 2

what's the difference between 2004 Horny and 2017 Horny

We take our clothes off in 2017

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    as other have said, my biggest problem with Modern Bioware is that they seem to be reluctant to iterate on the formula they know works

one of the best examples I have is that their idea of romance in video games hasn't evolved since mass effect 1

while the games are certainly workmanlike in quality, to the point where it can be easy for some people to overlook any major flaws, I expect them to improve on what they have

Howard Dean's been ousted from both for overenthusiasm

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular

Horny

~horny~

Horné

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The UX for multiplayer is bonkers

"Customize Character" brings up your weapons, while to put points in your characters powers you have to do "Character Selection" and then chose "Customize" from there

Muting a player as said above is mousing over player and hitting X? In game you have to hold won escape, and also mouse over their name and hit x. And then it takes forever to register so you hit it again and then it unmutes it again very fast. Actually clicking on another player's name doesn't select them, it brings up an origin overlay?

Holding E to do something randomly stops happening and you then have to hit and hold E again?

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    That last one's a glitch. It doesn't happen while you're on host.

Never play off host. How are lobbies to be populated with a rule like that? By fools who don't want to use projectile weapons.

• Options
    That last one's a glitch. It doesn't happen while you're on host.

Never play off host. How are lobbies to be populated with a rule like that? By fools who don't want to use projectile weapons.

so, vanguards

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    HAHAHA WHAT IS WITH THIS KROGAN'S VOICE?

Okay not I see the voice acting complaints. This Sularian is just bad.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I double checked. You can for sure not modify the two main default faces in any way. It actually says that when you select them.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    So, is it just me, or does MP seem ridiculously hard right now?

My friend and I had team wipes on 3 out of 4 matches we played today (the 4th was a partial extraction) on Bronze difficulty.

And while we're not MLG no-scope gamers, we could pretty reliably finish ME3 MP missions on silver difficulty and could usually get through a few waves of gold.

Yet bronze is kicking our asses right now, usually in the back half where damage coming at you gets pretty absurd and it's almost impossible to find cover against all the enemies.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    The term femshep always makes me vaguely uncomfortable and I've never been able to figure out why

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Stilts wrote: »

My friend and I had team wipes on 3 out of 4 matches we played today (the 4th was a partial extraction) on Bronze difficulty.

And while we're not MLG no-scope gamers, we could pretty reliably finish ME3 MP missions on silver difficulty and could usually get through a few waves of gold.

Yet bronze is kicking our asses right now, usually in the back half where damage coming at you gets pretty absurd and it's almost impossible to find cover against all the enemies.

Naw. Bronze is notably harder this time around.

And having crappy guns at the start doesn't help.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

It's actually hard for some of the reasons I've noticed.

People don't have the gear they used to have in ME3

They don't know the enemies and how to deal with them, especially with groups like the Kett

Maps are new and there is a completely new third dimension enemies can and do attack you from to account for

New classes are different and people haven't gotten used to the combos/comboing yet because everyone is trying out what they unlock and not sticking with a tried and true

It generally also just feels harder with more enemy variety and counter abilities

If anything I'd say celebrate these early days before people have unlocked prestige abilites and better guns. Right now you've got some true difficulty and this is probably some of most rewarding gaming you can get in multi before you'll either be carrying or being carried.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Man, I really don't agree that this is "true difficulty" or "rewarding gaming."

Like, I played ME3MP during the beta. I know what it's like to start that stuff when everyone has basic classes and shit equipment. It's tough but not unmanageable as long as you're playing smart and sticking together. Which is what my team was doing and we still got our asses kicked.

This just feels extremely overtuned and not very fun for me?

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    maybe you should be a pro gamer stilts

• Options
    maybe you should be a pro gamer stilts

If only I wasn't a n00b

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options

Like, I played ME3MP during the beta. I know what it's like to start that stuff when everyone has basic classes and shit equipment. It's tough but not unmanageable as long as you're playing smart and sticking together. Which is what my team was doing and we still got our asses kicked.

In a couple of weeks it'll be easy again don't worry. Especially when people know the maps better. And without prestiging resetting player level outside of someone starting a new character everyone will be higher level.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Well now I am helping to solve a murder so this game seems alright.

• Options
    I mean what has downed me the most in multi is not knowing the best route through a map to get to objectives/my team. Seems that happens to most people especially with the added jumping to things, and people are playing new classes that have new powers and interactions. So right now its kind of like in me 3 after new classes came out, everyone doesn't know the best way to play and usually that means struggling.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Count me in on the "this is obviously a previous stable but not finished build from probably something like six revisions back" crew.

Game has made me burst out in laughter a few times from dialogue choices, in a good way. Also got a laugh at all the computer consoles being at knee level and watching people struggle to furiously hack the gibson.

Anyone know on PC what the key is for switching your weapon from right/left left/right handed? Just seems to randomly change for me.

• Options
    There's no way this is a previous build, this is the full game, probably with the day 1 patch

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Alt should swap the camera shoulder if that's what you mean.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Count me in on the "this is obviously a previous stable but not finished build from probably something like six revisions back" crew.

Game has made me burst out in laughter a few times from dialogue choices, in a good way. Also got a laugh at all the computer consoles being at knee level and watching people struggle to furiously hack the gibson.

Anyone know on PC what the key is for switching your weapon from right/left left/right handed? Just seems to randomly change for me.

I hear it's Alt.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, something that you're told eventually but not soon enough, and people should know -

When you get the vehicle, right click to switch it from speedy-mode to all wheel drive. The little icon at the bottom of the screen of the nomad will be yellow-ish for AWD, and blue for normal driving mode. I assumed it was a vehicle health indicator. In normal mode you'll have a much higher top speed but less torque, in AWD you'll be slower but it has more torque, traction, and the shocks operate more independently so it's easier to just drive over a boulder, or up sandy hillsides.

Also your personal suits still protect you from dangerous environments for a fairly long time, so sometimes it's easier to just drive near an objective and then jump out and walk, you won't melt the moment you get outside.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »
    Oh yeah, something that you're told eventually but not soon enough, and people should know -

When you get the vehicle, right click to switch it from speedy-mode to all wheel drive. The little icon at the bottom of the screen of the nomad will be yellow-ish for AWD, and blue for normal driving mode. I assumed it was a vehicle health indicator. In normal mode you'll have a much higher top speed but less torque, in AWD you'll be slower but it has more torque, traction, and the shocks operate more independently so it's easier to just drive over a boulder, or up sandy hillsides.

Also your personal suits still protect you from dangerous environments for a fairly long time, so sometimes it's easier to just drive near an objective and then jump out and walk, you won't melt the moment you get outside.

Thanks for the pro tip. Should make driving easier.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    There's no way this is a previous build, this is the full game, probably with the day 1 patch

even if it was, the changes between that build and now wouldn't affect the things that appear to be Busted about that game

• Options
    Patches ain't gonna make Kumail Nanjiani a better voice actor

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    If I had a son who grew up to have facial hair like male Ryder I would drown him and not even cry

There's unfortunate facial hair and then there's being too damn lazy to shave, really

• Options

This is gonna be such a bummer

Kumail is completely honest when he says Mass Effect is his favorite series of all time and his contributions to it are going to be widely mocked

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    For a while now.

Like I don't know.

Ugh, its kind of whatever. If folks want to be negative I can't stop them. I just don't understand it is all.

Worth noting that Bioware is ground zero for the Gamergate movement hate. They were the first company to really put effort into making their games LGBT friendly, and they have been crucified for it ever since.

Not saying that's where all the negativity comes from, but it is the source of more than you would imagine.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    For a while now.

Like I don't know.

Ugh, its kind of whatever. If folks want to be negative I can't stop them. I just don't understand it is all.

Worth noting that Bioware is ground zero for the Gamergate movement hate. They were the first company to really put effort into making their games LGBT friendly, and they have been crucified for it ever since.

Not saying that's where all the negativity comes from, but it is the source of more than you would imagine.

A few Bioware employees have been straight up harassed out of the industry. The way people treat other humans is awful.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

Kumail is completely honest when he says Mass Effect is his favorite series of all time and his contributions to it are going to be widely mocked

Is he not good?

• Options
    For a while now.

Like I don't know.

no it's not

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

It's super weird since he's been in other VA stuff in the past and been fine

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I don't know if the Witcher 3 really innovated as much as raised the bar higher than any other current RPG.

Quest design in that game was handcrafted to the point of near perfection. Something Bioware could definitely take a cue from.

Witcher 3 bucked the trend of abstracting story content in favor of systems. With Mass Effect 3 and Fallout 3, you had simple systems (walk-by quest pickups in ME3 and radiant procedural quests in FO3) that minimized the narrative aspects of quests in favor of getting the player past the dialogue and into the fighting. Witcher pulled that back massively, making every quest a potential for a short story or fun character interaction no matter how "minor" it was in terms of story structure.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    For a while now.

Like I don't know.

Unless you're willing to paint people in this thread who are criticizing it with that same brush then don't waste anyone's time.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

I felt that way at lvl 1. At 10, it's Charge -> Headbutt and damned be he who cries "Hold, enough!'

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I don't know if the Witcher 3 really innovated as much as raised the bar higher than any other current RPG.

Quest design in that game was handcrafted to the point of near perfection. Something Bioware could definitely take a cue from.

Witcher 3 bucked the trend of abstracting story content in favor of systems. With Mass Effect 3 and Fallout 3, you had simple systems (walk-by quest pickups in ME3 and radiant procedural quests in FO3) that minimized the narrative aspects of quests in favor of getting the player past the dialogue and into the fighting. Witcher pulled that back massively, making every quest a potential for a short story or fun character interaction no matter how "minor" it was in terms of story structure.
    Yeah, I fondly remember that fun short story of where I killed the same goddamn bandits at the same goddamn camp for the tenth time. Such an awesome story system.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    It led to some of the best fetch quests in history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROsnMRv9ARE

• Options
    For a while now.

Like I don't know.

no it's not
    Yeah, ground zero for that was 4chan latching onto the blog post Zoe Quinn's ex wrote. I'm sure they recruited from other forums with communities that were already prone to toxic behavior, but it didn't start (nor was it organized from) the Bioware forums

IKknkhU.gif
This discussion has been closed.