Options

[Final Fantasy] V Four Job Fiesta starts Monday! Play for charity! Play for fun!

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    I got a game over in a random mook fight once, early on, but that's because I didn't understand the whole "game ends when Noctis dies, but he still keeps running around for a while before the curtain falls" thing.

When does the car start
    flying
    ?
    Post game only. Which is really dumb.

Thanks! That'd explain why I never saw it.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »

I enjoyed FFXV's first half of chapters despite its flaws, and the whole time I just kept expecting the combat system to have some progression, something interesting to happen with the story, etc.. The back half only took like 5 hours to complete and it's what sealed the deal on dragging the game down from a 7/10 to a 5/10 or maybe even a bit worse for me.

I basically got tricked by the game because I thought there's no way this is all the game has to offer, but it turns out it was, and actually worse because they rushed the last 6 or 7 chapters when they clearly ran out of budget or time.

Then I returned the game and moved on, but it doesn't mean I'm not going to discuss it. FF is one of my favorite franchises of all time, and I want them to be better. Unfortunately their last 2 mainline non MMO FF games were Lightning Returns and FFXV, both of which were bad games (to me).

5/10 or worse? Really? That'd have to be a real shitstorm of a game. I think I got a different version?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Shamus wrote: »
    I forget where exactly, but there is a dead end "canyon" with 5 Elder Couerls in it. Yep, that was a very quick Game Over.

The only time I remember dying was to something like this. It was early game-ish and in the middle of fighting the Courels a transport dropped of a bunch of soliders. The mooks with rifles were a lot better at killing me than any boss was.

Those transports can be so annoying. Yesterday I was searching for a dog tag and had three transports consecutively drop on me. Finally got the tag and out of there. The Cerebus Rifle + Ignis's Enhancement Tech is pretty fun.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular

I enjoyed FFXV's first half of chapters despite its flaws, and the whole time I just kept expecting the combat system to have some progression, something interesting to happen with the story, etc.. The back half only took like 5 hours to complete and it's what sealed the deal on dragging the game down from a 7/10 to a 5/10 or maybe even a bit worse for me.

I basically got tricked by the game because I thought there's no way this is all the game has to offer, but it turns out it was, and actually worse because they rushed the last 6 or 7 chapters when they clearly ran out of budget or time.

Then I returned the game and moved on, but it doesn't mean I'm not going to discuss it. FF is one of my favorite franchises of all time, and I want them to be better. Unfortunately their last 2 mainline non MMO FF games were Lightning Returns and FFXV, both of which were bad games (to me).

5/10 or worse? Really? That'd have to be a real shitstorm of a game. I think I got a different version?

Yeah, the first 8 chapters of the game I'd put at a 7/10 independent of the rest of the game. But the entire package is absolutely dragged down to 5/10 for me. Keep in mind that these are my opinions alone. I'm not some reviewer who gives half the AAA games they see 10/10 scores. Even amongst my absolute favorite games of all time, I doubt there's even a single one I'd call a 10/10.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

Yeah, the first 8 chapters of the game I'd put at a 7/10 independent of the rest of the game. But the entire package is absolutely dragged down to 5/10 for me. Keep in mind that these are my opinions alone. I'm not some reviewer who gives half the AAA games they see 10/10 scores. Even amongst my absolute favorite games of all time, I doubt there's even a single one I'd call a 10/10.

Yeah that is kind of par for the course with FF games. I fucking love the series to bits, but SE's insistence on reinventing the wheel with each new game pretty much guarantees we'll never see a truly fantastic entry.

It is a common complaint I know and in many respects I can appreciate them wanting to keep things fresh, but at the same time I wonder how great a FF game they could make if they spent time refining established systems and mechanics instead of tossing everything they learned right out the window.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    XV is a very easy game. You'd have to try really hard to lose any of the fights that have to do with the story. The mechanics of the game are simple enough that there's not much you can do to screw it up.

That's kind of sad.

That's kind of par for the course.

Final Fantasy is not a difficult series by and large, and XV isn't straying from that pattern. VI-X especially are very easy games.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    XV is a very easy game. You'd have to try really hard to lose any of the fights that have to do with the story. The mechanics of the game are simple enough that there's not much you can do to screw it up.

That's kind of sad.

Final Fantasy is not a difficult series by and large, and XV isn't straying from that pattern. VI-X especially are very easy games.

Emerald and Ruby Weapon kicked my ass a few times. And the Edea Parade fight in VIII, and fucking Yunalesca in X kicked my ass quite a few times. The Yunalesca fight in particular made me throw my controller down and cool off for a week or two.

But also, in all those other titles I enjoyed the combat a LOT more than in XV, so I was much more likely to grind and level and sidequest for ultimate weapons etc. I didn't get nearly as much enjoyment out of the combat in XV. I'd like to think Final Fantasy XV with a variation on XII's combat system would have been a good fit. I don't think Real Time Combat and Final Fantasy should be a thing. Your opinion may differ.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I forget where exactly, but there is a dead end "canyon" with 5 Elder Couerls in it. Yep, that was a very quick Game Over.

The only time I remember dying was to something like this. It was early game-ish and in the middle of fighting the Courels a transport dropped of a bunch of soliders. The mooks with rifles were a lot better at killing me than any boss was.

There are a couple of standard enemies that I thought were too punishing, especially in groups. Coeurls were probably the worst (at least in groups of 3 or more) as well as the higher level bomb types that spawned the lesser ones if I was in an enclosed space. Any of the greater demons like Ronin, Naga, or Liches if there was more than one. Really any enemy type became frustrating past a certain threshold, especially if you couldn't warp in and out of the fight.

Here's a cool trick though; if you guard with any of the Royal Arms you get a unique animation that perfectly blocks any ballistics without using MP. I ended up using Sword of the Wise a lot using the forward + Attack to warp in followed by an immediate dodge roll out to deal with any enemies that had counter-attacks or when faced with those rifle squads.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Yeah, difficulty was schizophrenic. On the one hand I have a ridiculous number of items, I'm not getting a game over anytime soon. On the other hand many fights were still fucking annoying, typically relying on simply doing "Fuck You" damage. I had to assume anybody making the claim that you can simply do nothing but hold the attack button and win was still on Ch. 1-4. Because there are too many fights where doing that will simply have you eat shit sooner or later. That's not to say there weren't fights like that, but they did not make up the entire game.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

That's kind of sad.

It sure as fuck used to be.

Have you ever played through FF 3 on the NES? The final dungeon "experience" will give the term NES hard a whole new kick in the ass.

It was basically FF7 where things got pretty mellow and FF8 where you could basically break the game without trying.

I think FF9 actually managed to be challenging at it's base though. It was a much more structured game so there was less ease in breaking it than there had been for awhile.

All of the NES FF games were known for being very difficult. I think FF 4 was also up there before the neutered versions of the game (mainly the US one) came out.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I wish the game WAS (stupid autocomplete) as amazing as the engine. Seriously. That and the Witch demos are incredible.

Fawst on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    They all but spelled out this is work towards the PC version.

They also showed off content that plain is not in the original game, including
    a Cerberus boss fight
    , so this is another look at what they're planning with this game.

Just hope PS4 doesn't get jerked out of the more meaningful visual upgrades. The Pro should be able to handle cat fur just fine.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Mmm yes give me that PC version. My super gaming computer would love to run this perfectly at over 60 fps :D

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Mmm yes give me that PC version. My super gaming computer would love to run this perfectly at over 60 fps :D

Someone will have to update this comic soon. :razz:
    bvllOwT.jpg

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
  • Options
    I'm at the end of the game. Had to make a slight detour to pick up a certain pair of knives first.

I can see the complaints but I really loved this game. Looking forward to the ending.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So, the MAX Angelus, for the Magitek Armor (v2)

What in the hell do you have to do to actually get it to spawn?

I've read the interwebs but I feel like I'm missing something.

I know there's a bot you have to kill first, who also doesn't always spawn, but I have never seen any robot from the dropships.

I'm post game, I've done everything except a handful of the sealed dungeons. And I mean everything.

But no matter where I try (all the places videos and reddit and such have suggested) I can't get anything other than assassins or axe men to spawn in the drop ships. I've tried just doing them over and over waiting each one and doing that for several in-game days. I've tried reloading over and over to get different spawns. Nothing. I tried for 3 hours earlier and got nothing but the assassins and axe men. I feel like I must have to do some other prerequisite that I'm just completely unaware of.

I've done all the garrisons, so that isn't it. I've also gone back into the garrisons and killed lots of other bots. I've killed easily a couple hundred spawns off dropships over the course of the game, so it doesn't seem to be a matter of just doing enough of them. I just don't get it. I see people saying they got the pre-Angelus bot to start dropping in on them in chapter 3.

Nada for me.

Wat.

EDIT: I've seen mention of a Hopilomachus bot you have to kill before the bot you have to kill before the Angelus will spawn, but again, I've never seen a bot drop off a ship, so unless one of the prerequisite bots are in different regions than the desert...again...wat.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I'm at the end of the game. Had to make a slight detour to pick up a certain pair of knives first.

I can see the complaints but I really loved this game. Looking forward to the ending.

I have plenty of complaints about the game, but I love it. Its story is far and away the biggest mess of any FF game ever (by a gigantic absurd degree), but actually playing the game is just so damn fun. I was having a discussion about it with a friend and my conclusion was that if this game didn't have the name Final Fantasy attached to it, even my story complaints would probably dissipate. Skyrim has a terrible story, and even all the non-main quest dialogue and such is decent but nothing really profound or memorable; but I have hundreds of hours in that game and don't even care. I just don't like having a FF game with an utterly incoherent story without a single developed character in the entire game.

You can see fossils of a skeleton of what might have been, but nope. The comparison I made is that it feels like disc 2 of Xenogears, if you didn't have Disc one for any context or character development. Just seemingly unconnected plot points that don't really form a coherent narrative with characters that don't seem to have consistent personalities doing things that don't seem to have any relevance to anything else happening.

Anyway, I wish SquareEnix would toss some XV tracks into Theatrhythm. Yoko Shimomura can do the soundtrack for everything ever for all I care. I suspect she won't be back for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and that is a damn travesty. One thing XV does have is an awesome soundtrack.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Finished it, loved the ending.

Some thoughts/things I liked about the last chapter:
    -The random Demon Wall that pops out leaving Galdin Quay made me laugh.
    -Talcott's dashboard having his cactaur collection was a nice touch.
    -No Iris or Cidney at the Hammerhead, even though they're practically leading the daemon hunting efforts? Kinda weird.
    -Ifrit was a fun fight. Bahamut has oddly feminine eyes. Shiva sealing it with a kiss was perfect.
    -I googled how to get Ulric's Klaives and it was satisfying using them against Ardyn, before the fight turned into Advent Children. It just felt right.
    -The Kings of Lucis basically being the Knights of the Round was great.
    -Noctis/Jesus being stabbed one by one by the previous Kings and his father being the last was suitably emotional.
    -The logo changing.

A lot of the plot did feel like Xenogears Disc 2. Gonna take a break a bit before really tackling my thoughts on the plot, but overall very satisfied with the game. I'll have to start tackling the post game now.

Shamus on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Dear SE: it does not take a luxury vehicle nearly 20 minutes to drive less than 5 miles on an open highway.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    The way it guzzles gas seems pretty accurate though.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Dear SE: it does not take a luxury vehicle nearly 20 minutes to drive less than 5 miles on an open highway.

I sort of mentally multiply the mile estimates by 5 for this game. I get the feeling it's meant to be a compressed representation of the actual distance.
    At least I hope so, because otherwise Iris making you pull over every five seconds during her leg of the journey is just silly. :P

• Options
    The car is 100% frustrating for me. If you're going to a new destination it's just a time sink. Prompto badgering me to pull over for a picture, or needing to pull over for gas (and because it's getting late and Ignis is whiny) is not fun. And 'manual' mode is a joke. Hold down R2 and the car essentially autopilots itself. Try turning at an intersection and hope it responds.

I have 18+ hours into it, but at least an hour is just driving.

I think I'm about halfway through it. I'm essentially done with chapter 8 (I have the mythril, I'm just doing some sidequests in order to get money for potions...and no, Gladio, I don't care how you got your new scar). I hope the rest of the chapters go as fast as the last few.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    The car is 100% frustrating for me. If you're going to a new destination it's just a time sink. Prompto badgering me to pull over for a picture, or needing to pull over for gas (and because it's getting late and Ignis is whiny) is not fun. And 'manual' mode is a joke. Hold down R2 and the car essentially autopilots itself. Try turning at an intersection and hope it responds.

I have 18+ hours into it, but at least an hour is just driving.

I think I'm about halfway through it. I'm essentially done with chapter 8 (I have the mythril, I'm just doing some sidequests in order to get money for potions...and no, Gladio, I don't care how you got your new scar). I hope the rest of the chapters go as fast as the last few.

And when you do get to the point where you can fast-travel, you have to determine whether it's actually quicker to just drive rather than waiting for the PS4 to load the destination area.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    It's probably different for everyone, but the driving really didn't bother me. I enjoyed just cruising between points, taking in the view and party banter, listening to some sweet nostalgic FF tunes, and would routinely get distracted by walking meat or shiny POIs in the distance. But this is also why I never finish open world games.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    I either fast traveled everywhere or rode chocobos. I have way to much fun chocobo drifting.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    It's probably different for everyone, but the driving really didn't bother me. I enjoyed just cruising between points, taking in the view and party banter, listening to some sweet nostalgic FF tunes, and would routinely get distracted by walking meat or shiny POIs in the distance. But this is also why I never finish open world games.

Driving around doing nothing more than enjoying the scenery and listening to FF music is something I do in real life on a regular basis. So it just felt natural in the game.

• Options
    I'm a sucker for travel in games. Rarely do I use fast travel in them. The exception being if I hit a major plot point and then need to go somewhere for the second half.

To each their own, but I do agree that the "manual" driving was fucking stupid. Though I saw they have been testing off road driving, complete with fuck off tires for your car. :razz:

• Options
    edited March 2017

I love open world games. I'm a sucker for just about everything R* puts out.

But, in most of those games, there's things to do. Walking/running/chocobo riding around - with a goddamn stamina bar - with a shitty default camera (which you can only change for combat, not walking), no rhyme or reason for which shrubbery Noctis gets stuck on and what he doesn't, all to pick up random blue dots and engage in a really terrible combat system is the exact opposite of fun for me.

It's a big, hollow, poorly created world. Nothing feels legitimate in it. Well maintained roads with hardly any cars. Mechs and smartphones, but no internet or television. Monsters and dangerous creatures everywhere, but no defense forces or even police (outside of poor Dave the hunter). No sense of an actual history or culture. It's just "Here's a modern roadway with a car and ramen and shit, and in the background are crystals and weird rock formations." That's not what makes a coherent setting.

EDIT: finished
    the Leviathan fight. More spectacle over substance. How does this shit impress people? Not being able to do reasonable damage to an enemy until a cutscene plays, when it then becomes "Hold O to win" is idiotic. If you're going to do that, make it at the end of the game, like with VII, when it means something. I mean, yeah, Noctis is sad/angry that Luna was stabbed, but me, the player? I didn't give a shit. She's magical girl #29858, rolled off the assembly line. No personality, no use other than to vaguely explain Noctis' fate and to be fridged. Hooray.

SE, no matter how hard you try, you'll never be able to have another Aeris moment. Just stop trying.

And where were the Imperials? I killed like 5 guys. The bro squad was busy trying to get people to evacuate. Where's the rest? Where are the tethers that they made a point of talking about? Why aren't the airships attempting to sortie?

Just... no. There's no intelligence behind anything that happens on screen. This is the shit that you need to get right after a decade of development.

Ugh.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    I either fast traveled everywhere or rode chocobos. I have way to much fun chocobo drifting.

The first time I figured out the chocobos could swim, I couldn't wipe the grin off my face.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

The first time I figured out the chocobos could swim, I couldn't wipe the grin off my face.

I absolutely hated all of the invisible barriers in this game. The fact that you could not swim was a silly decision.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ...but you can swim in still water?

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    You can swim?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    You can swim?

Yeah! Steer your chocobos toward still water (like the Vesper Pool or Alstor Slough) and enjoy your adorable new chocobo swan boat. There are some fishing spots on the Vesper Pool that can only be accessed by swimming chocobo.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Noctis has a swimming animation too, but it's only used in a few spots in the game, and never in the open world parts.

• Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

I explored every inch of the Vesperpool. So great.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I got the perk where driving gives you AP early and let Ignis do all of it while I set down the controller and read the forums or watched a Youtube video or something else. So driving never really bugged me. It's not great, though.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    As much as I loved driving, the OST choices were really hit and miss. No To Zanarkland? Otherworld? Julia? Happy The Castle got in though.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    As much as I loved driving, the OST choices were really hit and miss. No To Zanarkland? Otherworld? Julia? Happy The Castle got in though.

After playing though to completion on PS4, I'll gladly pick it up on PC if I can make my own stations for the Regallia. It'll be nothing but wall to wall Black Mages.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
This discussion has been closed.