Options

The [Steam] Thread didn't win any Steam Awards :(

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I just found the whole dick this, dick that (wasn't "dicktits" in it?) and shit like "murderboner", especially how it was delivered, to be grating

Usually I don't really dig this kind of humor either, but for whatever reason it clicked for me in Bulletstorm and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.

• Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    Instead of saying the p word duke is gonna call everyone cucks

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    The only thing worse than Duke Nukem is that young Karl used to find him funny.

Ugh

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »
    I just found the whole dick this, dick that (wasn't "dicktits" in it?) and shit like "murderboner", especially how it was delivered, to be grating

Usually I don't really dig this kind of humor either, but for whatever reason it clicked for me in Bulletstorm and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.

From what I remember, it's immature without being grossly sexist.

broken image link
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    god, a modern duke would absolutely be an MRA, wouldn't he

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Duke Nukem is forever colored by:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMX057YAwN0

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    That's one Dead Space marine [reference to Isaac Clarke, Dead Space's main character and is also an allusion to a classic line from Duke Nukem 3D in reference to Doom.]
    Y'know what this one's funny

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Karl wrote: »

Ugh

I mean if you played it at roughly the time in your life that I did you were what, 8 or 9?

That is precisely the window for that humour. Go easy on yourself.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah Duke Nukem 3D came out on the PS1 in 1997. I was 14 and an arsehole, of course it was funny to me.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Ugh

I mean if you played it at roughly the time in your life that I did you were what, 8 or 9?

That is precisely the window for that humour. Go easy on yourself.

I remember when I was ~9 or so, telling my older brother

"I'll Rip Your Head Off And Shit Down Your Neck"

hoping that would intimidate him

and he just looked kind of perplexed as he smacked me upside the head

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Wow, a Bulletstorm remaster.

Did they put in an ending this time?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Ranlin wrote: »

From what I remember, it's immature without being grossly sexist.
    It also mocked itself pretty regularly

I'll kill your dick is followed by an argument about what the fuck that actually means

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I heard there were a lot of translation issues with Bulletstorm.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

Ugh

I used to have Duke Nukem action figures boy let me tell you how deep that shit went for young impressionable Z.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

yeah I remember seeing an article fairly recently to that effect

something about it basically being written by non-native speakers and there are so many swears because they thought it sounds funnier that way?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The bit about the copy protection making the game "buggy" to the point of it being unplayable made me chuckle a bit, since I've heard a bunch of complaints about that from legit customers
    what if those aren't bugs, but the copy protection gone wrong?

To me this has always felt like the natural end point of all those "hilarious" copy protection schemes that make the game unwinnable in some way

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Also Duke Nukem formed in a time where riffing on tough guy action movies and making pop culture references wasn't yet beaten into a smoking crater in the ground, and it felt relatively fresh as a result.

The problem comes when,

A) You don't or can't change that formula to keep up with the changes in the video game landscape, pop culture, and society at large

B) The creators drank the Kool Aid, and instead of Duke being a ridiculous lampooning of these tough guy action heroes, they think he actually is the toughest and coolest guy around

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

something about it basically being written by non-native speakers and there are so many swears because they thought it sounds funnier that way?

AND THEY WERE RIGHT

• Options
    That isn't true? Bulletstorm was written by Rick Remender who is definitely American and has written lots of other things.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I unno, tell the article guy

• Options
    ARTICLE GUY, YOU SUCK!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I don't remember the details and can't find it in the googles right now

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Oh man I forgot they were doing this

Full Throttle is so cool and good god I hope they changed the bunny minefield thing because it sucks

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

See, my assumption would be that it's a tough game to translate out of English

Given that a lot of the humor is derived from fucking with hyper-specific turns of phrase, or of intentional misuse of profanity, it seems like it'd be rough to get that into another language

• Options
    Bulletstorm's dialogue is weird

because normally I wouldn't care for that kind of dialogue?

But in Bulletstorm it just worked

• Options
    I might compare Bulletstorm to Doom

They commit very, very hard to their aesthetic and you're either going to come with them for the ride from the word go or you won't

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Bulletstorm seemed like a cool game I never got around to playing, and I've always loved Duke Nukem, so I'll probably go ahead and preorder this remake for sure

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Also hoo boy they made the evil asshole general really easy to hate

he once refers to the asian character as having 'slanty devil-eyes' and I was like holy shit dude

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Here, have some Steam keys:
    Taken

(Legend of Grimrock 2)
    taken

(Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen)
    taken

(Mordheim: City Of The Damned)

Moriveth on
  • Options
    I took the Dragon's Dogma one, thank you very much

It's the only game where I've watched the Monster Factory video and gone "I gotta play that game"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    I nicked Mordheim if that's alright? Everyone I know already got it and has been sitting quite a while with it, so it seems fun? :3
    Thanks a lot!

• Options
    It's worth noting that Mordheim is the tactical combat game and not the L4D-like fps, which is Vermintide.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-07-pcf-admits-bulletstorm-was-too-sweary
    "Do you know any swear word in a foreign language?" he asked. "German, French, Polish? When you say it out loud, no biggie, right? Not a problem to use it during a family dinner, I assume?

"That is how all the f-bombs sounded to us. Being Polish, all the strong language in Bulletstorm was just exotic and fun to us. We did not feel its power. In other words, Epic thought this is what we wanted and respected our creative vision, while we had no idea this vision was a bit more than we really wanted.

"It was only at the end of the development, when I read the Polish translation of the game, that I realized how dirty we were. I swear a lot. A LOT. And yet still I… kind of blushed."

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    This RPS review of Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun makes it sound 1,000% my jam, holy cow
    Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun [official site] awakens a genre that has been in deep hibernation for more than a decade. Its foe-festooned levels navigated and depopulated with the help of a cadre of five stealthy, player-controlled death-dealers, might be set in Edo period Japan, but the wonderful memories they stir are pure Old West and WW2. It’s blindingly obvious that the developers Mimimi have played an awful lot of Commandos 2: Men of Courage and Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive.

I'd not heard of the game at all, and now I'm gonna snap it up the second it comes out.

• Options
    There's a demo of it on GoG if you want to give it a shot!

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I could see Duke Nukem working in a modern context

I actually think Bulletstorm could be the perfect vehicle for that, too

• Options
    I dunno how you make Duke Nukem work nowadays aside from completely reworking that character

quippy ultramacho action hero doesn't play terribly well anymore

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    God I keep forgetting to check out the new Dragons Dogma stuff

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I dunno how you make Duke Nukem work nowadays aside from completely reworking that character

I think that's what you have to do, yes

Or at least reframe it so he's still the same dude, but the world around him isn't built to glorify that

Maybe it's like a Doomguy thing in the new DOOM, where they know Duke is the best at stopping alien invasions, but boy, do they wish they could have kept him asleep

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

shadow warrior / shadow warrior 2 does an okay job with it

essentially everyone in the universe knows that the player character is an awful pervert and makes the worst jokes, but also has some respect for him as a dude who can get shit done

This discussion has been closed.