As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is This a Good Laptop Deal?

NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
Hello, wasn't sure if this or Moe's was the better spot to post. I've been thinking about buying a new laptop for awhile now. It would be for both my wife and I for regular web browsing, acting as a media machine when we travel, and light gaming. Mostly RPGs and Strategy games like Civ, but I wouldn't say no to being able to handle beefier games. I was at Costco today and saw the Dell Inspiron 15, this seems like a good deal to me, but I haven't been keeping up to date with hardware very well. It has a hybrid hardrive rather then an SSD, a i7-6700HQ Processor 2.6GHz and a 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M graphics card, should these work well for light gaming, and if so is this a good price for what I am getting or can I spend my money better elsewhere?
Thanks

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »
    Hello, wasn't sure if this or Moe's was the better spot to post. I've been thinking about buying a new laptop for awhile now. It would be for both my wife and I for regular web browsing, acting as a media machine when we travel, and light gaming. Mostly RPGs and Strategy games like Civ, but I wouldn't say no to being able to handle beefier games. I was at Costco today and saw the Dell Inspiron 15, this seems like a good deal to me, but I haven't been keeping up to date with hardware very well. It has a hybrid hardrive rather then an SSD, a i7-6700HQ Processor 2.6GHz and a 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M graphics card, should these work well for light gaming, and if so is this a good price for what I am getting or can I spend my money better elsewhere?
    Thanks

Would absolutely recommend waiting for a 1000 series card in a laptop for gaming. There are no "mobile" cards anymore, Nvidia can shove a desktop class 1060 into a laptop within heat specs.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    That computer should absolutely run "light" gaming right now, and probably a lot of heavier duty games as well. You could wait for a 1000 series laptop card, but you'd also be paying significantly more for it, and you do need to draw a line somewhere or you'll constantly be waiting for the next best thing.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I'm not a super big fan of the build quality on the Inspirons. If you can afford the XPS 15 instead, I would jump there.