As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy XV] Who needs armor when you've got Gladiolus' abs?

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Laterish game spoilers pertaining to the above posts:
    Yeah pretty much any time after you get on the boat for the first time you can summon Umbra at a rest area and go back to Lucis. And later to Altissia.

You're prevented from going back for a time in Chapter 13 when you're solo but you regain the option after you get your party back.

I wonder how many people don't actually know about that...

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I finished the game last night, rang in the New Year by going from chapter 6 to the end of the game in one sitting. Well, for a value of "Last Night" that lasted until 9AM.

Thoughts in spoilers:
    Chapter 13, wow, that just wouldn't end. It was especially discordant because a lot of later chapters felt to me like proof of concept demos that they didn't find the time to flesh out into full ideas. Once you stop roaming around, the story rushes forward at a pace I'd describe as "a brief summary of itself", until that patch at the very end. Maybe it's just because the typical Open Sprawl part of the game is front loaded and then vanishes, rather than being hidden at the endgame, which would normally pad out the last half of a game?

Ignus's blinding was as clumsy a plot element as I've ever seen, holy crap. He just shows up in your room and goes "Hey by the way, while you were in that Cutscene/QTE Boss, I stopped being a Combat Unit. Sorry you invested all that time leveling me." And because of the visual jumble problems of the game overall, I was never clear if he actually started really fighting again?

Prompto's Big Secret also came super out of left field, but was less jarring because it had zero real gameplay or story impact. It was still a really sloppy reveal though, especially as the "reward" for enduring chapter 13.

Fuck Gladio. That guy is the kind of assholes, and if I could have dismissed him from my team I would have in a heartbeat. Especially if I could have replaced him permanently with Iris or Aranea, who were great! Noct's life has been exceptionally shitty lately, but he hasn't actually shirked his duty or resisted at all, so if he wants to be kind of mopy on a train that's his right! And if he wants to be kind of hesitant about putting on the ring that's been heavily foreshadowed to be his death sentence, maybe a sympathetic ear would go further than a lecture about how a "True King" behaves like an arrogant jock douchebro bragging in the locker room. Eat a whole Adamantoise shit in Hell, Gladio!

I gave Cid my Autocrossbow to upgrade before we got on the boat, and there was never a chance for him to give it back. Now it's just gone, I guess.

Overall, there's an awful lot I love about this game. The first half was an extremely strong experience, but clearly the last half was cobbled together out of scraps of things that had been sort-of-finished over the years.

On that last bit:
    At a rest point, talk to Umbra to go back into the past. I think you can meet Cid that way.
    Nope, when I loaded back up the past world and went to Hammerhead, he took my chainsaw to upgrade, but never gave me back my autocrossbow. It appears to have been swallowed by a glitch forever.

They might get around to fixing it, though. There have been several glitchy quests that I've noticed that have later resolved normally. Although I don't recall actually seeing any patch download notifications...

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Oh hey, I found the difficulty.
    It's in the postgame Costlemark secret dungeon.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Hit chapter 2

Why can noctis still use magic when everyone else couldn't
    Why is the crystal important
    Why do I feel like I am supposed to know all these characters that keep showing up

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Hit chapter 2

Why can noctis still use magic when everyone else couldn't
    Why is the crystal important
    Why do I feel like I am supposed to know all these characters that keep showing up

2) The crystal is basically bound to the royal lineage. It gives them power in exchange for the royal family protecting it, basically.
    1) One of those powers is the ability to do magic shit like teleport, stick all your weapons into a void space, and make flasks that explode into giant fireballs. Also the king uses it to create a giant protective barrier over Insomnia.
    3) You were "supposed" to watch the anime mini-series and the movie, but fuck that.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I never felt like I had to watch the movie or anime. In fact I still haven't watched the movie and hated the one part they spliced in a completely unnecessary cut that made the next event redundant and kind of dumb.

If anyone matters they get enough exposure as you interact. If not, they aren't really any better just because you happen to know them from something else.

If you don't spend days doing side quests I think the pacing of when you meet people and such is pretty decent.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I finished the game last night, rang in the New Year by going from chapter 6 to the end of the game in one sitting. Well, for a value of "Last Night" that lasted until 9AM.

Thoughts in spoilers:
    Chapter 13, wow, that just wouldn't end. It was especially discordant because a lot of later chapters felt to me like proof of concept demos that they didn't find the time to flesh out into full ideas. Once you stop roaming around, the story rushes forward at a pace I'd describe as "a brief summary of itself", until that patch at the very end. Maybe it's just because the typical Open Sprawl part of the game is front loaded and then vanishes, rather than being hidden at the endgame, which would normally pad out the last half of a game?

Ignus's blinding was as clumsy a plot element as I've ever seen, holy crap. He just shows up in your room and goes "Hey by the way, while you were in that Cutscene/QTE Boss, I stopped being a Combat Unit. Sorry you invested all that time leveling me." And because of the visual jumble problems of the game overall, I was never clear if he actually started really fighting again?

Prompto's Big Secret also came super out of left field, but was less jarring because it had zero real gameplay or story impact. It was still a really sloppy reveal though, especially as the "reward" for enduring chapter 13.

Fuck Gladio. That guy is the kind of assholes, and if I could have dismissed him from my team I would have in a heartbeat. Especially if I could have replaced him permanently with Iris or Aranea, who were great! Noct's life has been exceptionally shitty lately, but he hasn't actually shirked his duty or resisted at all, so if he wants to be kind of mopy on a train that's his right! And if he wants to be kind of hesitant about putting on the ring that's been heavily foreshadowed to be his death sentence, maybe a sympathetic ear would go further than a lecture about how a "True King" behaves like an arrogant jock douchebro bragging in the locker room. Eat a whole Adamantoise shit in Hell, Gladio!

I gave Cid my Autocrossbow to upgrade before we got on the boat, and there was never a chance for him to give it back. Now it's just gone, I guess.

Overall, there's an awful lot I love about this game. The first half was an extremely strong experience, but clearly the last half was cobbled together out of scraps of things that had been sort-of-finished over the years.

On that last bit:
    At a rest point, talk to Umbra to go back into the past. I think you can meet Cid that way.
    Nope, when I loaded back up the past world and went to Hammerhead, he took my chainsaw to upgrade, but never gave me back my autocrossbow. It appears to have been swallowed by a glitch forever.

They might get around to fixing it, though. There have been several glitchy quests that I've noticed that have later resolved normally. Although I don't recall actually seeing any patch download notifications...
    That's so weird. He won't call you even if you do a bunch of quests?

• Options

Thoughts in spoilers:

On that last bit:

That's so weird. He won't call you even if you do a bunch of quests?
    He finally coughed it up last night, after I did the King Behemoth hunt. I'd rested at least a dozen times since returning to the past, and upgraded two other weapons during that span. I don't think it's actually related to the hunt, just that that's the last thing I did before heading back to camp.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Ok seriously fuck Red Giants.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    hey what was that fast leveling trick folks were using

I don't wanna go back through the thread to look for it

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    hey what was that fast leveling trick folks were using

I don't wanna go back through the thread to look for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfHhgd4ElCI

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Ch 10
    My bros oh nooooooo!

The team no longer doing poses and compliments after link strikes is a good touch here.

• Options
    Ch 13
    Ok the mechanics are clearly not entirely here, as it takes way too long to charge up the death spell, but goddamn if this isn't evoking a really cool atmosphere.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Royal Arms.

Seriously I never had to experience the dread of Red Giants because I just enjoyed using Royal Arms for funsies and they happen to absolutely destroy them.

Fighting a Red Giant with a Royal Arm it went down faster than an Iron Giant using normal weapons. EZPZ

• Options
    On my post-game content sweep, finally got around to revisiting the Boulves Mines that waylaid me all those hours ago.
    So, the only enemies are the horde of level 7 Goblins, and the level 52 sword demon boss? That's some really weird level design. At first I thought the level 7 Goblins were just sort of a warmup area, and the real serious level 50+ dungeon started below, but finding out that was the last room, I can't imagine why they would have set things up like that. Either you're going to have your shit together sufficiently to take the boss down, and the whole rest of the dungeon will be a dull cakewalk, or it will utterly fail to properly warn you, and you'll get yourself killed.

On the other hand, Crestholm Channels was super well done. There were a couple tricky fights in there, and the design looked like a jumbled mess at first, but actually had a pretty elegant exploration loop to it, so that I didn't feel like I'd missed any side passages by the end.

Also, the Regalia Type-F is kind of a deathtrap, isn't it. There are maybe three stretches of road that I've found where I can reliably take off and land without clipping my wings, so its value for fast travel is kind of non-existent.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    So i finally made some story progress this weekend. Finished chapters 3-5.
    Chapter 4 complaints. Mechanical, not story, but contains references to story happenings
    The sneaky assault on the base was kinda cool, but also annoying. I'd knocked out a couple hunts, the Ramuh quest, and stuff so I camped out at the haven nearby. Made some good food. Saved my game. Went to the location and Gladiolus goes, "hey this looks tough, we should go make camp and come up with a plan. "
    Hey fuck you guy. It's 6AM, we just ate this rad meal that's your favorite food and I could only make one of.

So i go back to haven, camp and eat a somewhat less rad meal.

I start the event. It autosaves the checkpoint. I goof up the second warp-kill objective, which is unacceptable, so I reload.

I'm back at camp, not in the event. So now I manually save, we eat ramen, and we go again.

Took several more tries to work out the 3rd warpkill objective, because despite the game's instructions, their backs don't have to be turned. You just have to be far enough away. It was poorly communicated.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I still need to do the last chapter but here's some late game story thoughts.
    Unlike almost everyone else I've read on the internet, I am super on board with the on rails story stuff. I just wish there had been more context and story buildup in the prior 8 chapters, because what's here with a little more context would have been perfect. Like, what the heck happened to the emperor? Why did Ravus suddenly become a good guy when he was one of the villains in Kingsglaive? Why the fuck is Ardyn helping the team so much? Because he wanted to fight crystal king superhero Noctis??? That makes no sense kill him and end the bloodline now!

I don't know if I just missed a bunch of cutscenes or if they weren't there or I just forgot because I spent so long collecting bear asses or what.

I wish Noctis would've gotten more time together with Luna too to make her death have more impact.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Unlike almost everyone else I've read on the internet, I am super on board with the on rails story stuff. I just wish there had been more context and story buildup in the prior 8 chapters, because what's here with a little more context would have been perfect. Like, what the heck happened to the emperor? Why did Ravus suddenly become a good guy when he was one of the villains in Kingsglaive? Why the fuck is Ardyn helping the team so much? Because he wanted to fight crystal king superhero Noctis??? That makes no sense kill him and end the bloodline now!

I don't know if I just missed a bunch of cutscenes or if they weren't there or I just forgot because I spent so long collecting bear asses or what.

I wish Noctis would've gotten more time together with Luna too to make her death have more impact.

I agree with you completely.
    That part felt more like a Final Fantasy to me. I wish there had been more of it and wish there had been that much(or more) narrative parts throughout the first half of the game.

I enjoyed the open world stuff but the lack of story was definitely felt there and overall felt less final fantasy-ish. Once I hit the back half was when I was really feeling like I was playing an FF game but it went by so quickly I just wanted more of that and for it to have been a bit more fleshed out.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    My problem with the second half wasn't that it railroads you, it's that what's there is nonsense and there is absolutely zero context for anything.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Unlike almost everyone else I've read on the internet, I am super on board with the on rails story stuff. I just wish there had been more context and story buildup in the prior 8 chapters, because what's here with a little more context would have been perfect. Like, what the heck happened to the emperor? Why did Ravus suddenly become a good guy when he was one of the villains in Kingsglaive? Why the fuck is Ardyn helping the team so much? Because he wanted to fight crystal king superhero Noctis??? That makes no sense kill him and end the bloodline now!ted

Ardyn
    They story pushes that yes, he wants to fight a strong Noctis to have the fight mean something rather than just a pushover, but I think there are at least a few hints that Ardyn actually *wants* to be beaten so that he can finally get some rest.

• Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    My problem with the second half wasn't that it railroads you, it's that what's there is nonsense and there is absolutely zero context for anything.

I think that answers to the questions I asked in my spoiler post would have basically rounded out the story.

For example, something I learned via looking shit up after the fact:
    Apparently that super demon in ch 13 that's chasing you through the halls was the emperor transformed into a demon by Ardyn? A cutscene showing that transformation would have been perfect!

Basically the game needed a few more story cutscenes focusing mostly on building up the motivations of the villains and it would have addressed most of the issues.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

I think that answers to the questions I asked in my spoiler post would have basically rounded out the story.

Apparently that super demon in ch 13 that's chasing you through the halls was the emperor transformed into a demon by Ardyn? A cutscene showing that transformation would have been perfect!

Basically the game needed a few more story cutscenes focusing mostly on building up the motivations of the villains and it would have addressed most of the issues.

They address this through dialogue

Though yeah, a cutscene would've been nice too

• Options

They address this through dialogue

Though yeah, a cutscene would've been nice too
    If they did, it's suuuuuper subtle because I didn't even notice it.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    They say exactly who it is

Like "that's him" is a line of dialogue they speak, and it showed up subtitled on my screen too

• Options
    edited January 2017
    They say exactly who it is

Like "that's him" is a line of dialogue they speak, and it showed up subtitled on my screen too
    A throwaway line of "oh I guess that was the emperor huh?" after the fight isn't really a good way to resolve the man who led the empire that killed your father and conquered your homeland.

rhylith on
  • Options
    At the very least, I could have done with a little more explanation as to why the rest of the empire was going along with Ardyn's plan. Like, conquest for conquest's sake, I get, but at some point they have to have noticed that everyone was turning into demons. You'd think that would have been a problem for them before it happened to the Emperor.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Does the game ever explain why ardyn dresses like a tool who also stole a weird leather arm wing from a larper

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    At the very least, I could have done with a little more explanation as to why the rest of the empire was going along with Ardyn's plan. Like, conquest for conquest's sake, I get, but at some point they have to have noticed that everyone was turning into demons. You'd think that would have been a problem for them before it happened to the Emperor.

If you read the newspapers in ch13 that is explained. There are like 3-5 docs to examine that explain it all.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Does the game ever explain why ardyn dresses like a tool who also stole a weird leather arm wing from a larper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o-7MmhqNfA

• Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »

If you read the newspapers in ch13 that is explained. There are like 3-5 docs to examine that explain it all.

Again, a shitty way to handle it.

Show, don't tell!

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    The dark souls in me had me looking for things to read so I didn't have any issue with it. I can get how for some that would be a disconnect though.

• Options
    Hiding anything in Chapter 13 was a bad idea on their part. Normally I'm a "scour every corner" kind of player, but around 40 minutes into that sequence, I started ignoring everything that wasn't clearly the next objective.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular

Royal Arms.

Seriously I never had to experience the dread of Red Giants because I just enjoyed using Royal Arms for funsies and they happen to absolutely destroy them.

Fighting a Red Giant with a Royal Arm it went down faster than an Iron Giant using normal weapons. EZPZ

I tried using uh...that Sword (don't want to spoil it) and it wasn't pretty. I'll try to fight one of those guys tonight.

Guys, another question. Do Power to the Pylons count as 5 quests or just one?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options

Royal Arms.

I tried using uh...that Sword (don't want to spoil it) and it wasn't pretty. I'll try to fight one of those guys tonight.

It's just one quest reward. It only splits like that in your list because you can visit the individual pylons in any order, but they could only assign one map location per quest normally. Pretty much every other quest that has you hitting multiple places like that deals with the same problem by having you do them in a specific sequence, and changing the quest marker after each step.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Again, a shitty way to handle it.

Show, don't tell!

I dunno, I kind of liked it. It's very much like Bioshocks method of storytelling.

• Options

Royal Arms.

Hmm my go to royal arms were

Blades of the Wanderer and SotF. Both of those were fast enough to keep up dps while staying mobile. Air combos are important. Keep moving and attacking with air combos and you should be able to get them down fairly quick while taking little to no damage.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    The trick to chapter 13 is just always use that third spell you get. Enemies can't knock you out of the charge and you'll definitely survive to fire it off, even with 3 axe boys hitting you.

And then everything gets insta gibbed and you go hide behind a box for 10 seconds to get all your MP back.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I beat this.

It's good.

Ending is good.

Game is good.

• Options
    turtleant wrote: »
    The trick to chapter 13 is just always use that third spell you get. Enemies can't knock you out of the charge and you'll definitely survive to fire it off, even with 3 axe boys hitting you.

And then everything gets insta gibbed and you go hide behind a box for 10 seconds to get all your MP back.

Wrecking enemies wasn't the tedious part of chapter 13.
    Navigating ten thousand miles of dark industrial corridors while Ardyn ineffectually taunts you over the intercom like the world's weakest GLaDOS impersonator was the tedious part.

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I feel like chapter 13 was fine up to a point, it just out-stayed its welcome by about 40 minutes.

Billiardball on
    Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro