Options

Completely unprepared for [chat]

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I'm excited for the shitstorm when they ban non-self driving cars from city streets

Volvo has stopped marking its self driving prototypes as such because people have figured out that they drive super defensively and as such can be "bullied" into yielding even when they have priority.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    I'm excited for the shitstorm when they ban non-self driving cars from city streets
    There will be exemptions and grandfather clauses in this. Only like LA and San Fran will do stuff like that.

There shouldn't be

Meatbag drivers with their slow-ass processors

*revs engine in tribute to John Henry*

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    my fantasy of abundant trains and highspeed rail and self driving cars and well designed urban centers will never happen

it will
    never

happen!!!!!!

shaz

stop for a minute

and just let yourself dream

i've dreamed too much all my dreams were shattered and have been slowly eroding further over the last month

realism is needed for sanity

oh man I missed out on optimistic shaz?!?! :p

the future is not nearly as certain as chat seems to think it is

maybe im delusional

you can say im a dreamer

but im not the only one

I hope someday you will join us

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    What if we took all the people in the rust belt that need jobs and made them government subsidized uber drivers?

What if we stopped being OK with using third world countries as our private slave labor pool and forced corporations to bring international manufacturing facilities up to US safety and salary standards otherwise they're hit with massive tariffs on anything produced outside of the US thereby negating the cost savings of exploiting other countries and thus actually returning those jobs to the US

ha

ha ha

yeah...

but are you ready to pay 50%* more for everything

*number completely made up, I wonder what it really is

From what I've gathered with economics of scale, it'd maybe be close to like 10% more.

If apple brought foxconn's industry to the US, we'd only end up paying like $10-20 more for an iphone, and, what's crazy, is they could 100% eat that cost if they wanted to.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    There's not going to be self driving cars outside rich people, guys. We lost. it's over. I'd be less surprised to find out we were getting rid of those pesky catalytic converters in cars than banning non self driving cars

Rich people will be the only ones that own cars anymore.

All you'll do is hit a button and the local depository sends you out a vehicle and whisks you to your destination, arriving within a minute or two of you pressing the button. Like a personal bus. Sure it might be a little sticky but the cameras inside should be able to tell who spilled a soda over everything and didn't bother to clean it up. Then they get fined it gets cleaned and we move on.

People suck and they're even worse drivers.

As a side note, DON'T CHANGE LANES WHEN TURNING. I cannot count the number of times I have seen narrowly avoided accidents when someone turns left into their own lane and someone turning right the other direction decides they want to scoot across a few lanes mid turn. STAY IN YOUR LANE *shakefist*

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i have fleeting moments of optimism that are kept in check by reality

poo
  • Options
    so yes, your tshirts won't be $10 anymore, they'll probably be $15, but, you won't get lead poisoning from your walmart flip flops anymore either

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    my fantasy of abundant trains and highspeed rail and self driving cars and well designed urban centers will never happen

it will
    never

happen!!!!!!

shaz

stop for a minute

and just let yourself dream

i've dreamed too much all my dreams were shattered and have been slowly eroding further over the last month

realism is needed for sanity

Shaz you are overvaluing sanity

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    No trmp pls I dont have the energy to keep maintaining angry neco

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    What if we took all the people in the rust belt that need jobs and made them government subsidized uber drivers?

What if we stopped being OK with using third world countries as our private slave labor pool and forced corporations to bring international manufacturing facilities up to US safety and salary standards otherwise they're hit with massive tariffs on anything produced outside of the US thereby negating the cost savings of exploiting other countries and thus actually returning those jobs to the US

ha

ha ha

yeah...

Much higher. Whole number multiples at least.

Buying a mold in China instead of having one made in the US is like 20% of the cost and has a lower lead time by around 25%, with ocean freight included.

Folks have no idea what they're asking for in their isolationist fantasy land.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

ha

ha ha

yeah...

From what I've gathered with economics of scale, it'd maybe be close to like 10% more.

If apple brought foxconn's industry to the US, we'd only end up paying like $10-20 more for an iphone, and, what's crazy, is they could 100% eat that cost if they wanted to.

$10-$20 on an iphone is like 2-3% of the retail price, that's p insignificant!

no company is going to eat costs they don't have to eat tho

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    There's not going to be self driving cars outside rich people, guys. We lost. it's over. I'd be less surprised to find out we were getting rid of those pesky catalytic converters in cars than banning non self driving cars

Self driving cars have become a silicon valley darling, a neoliberal totem of the march of progress

They will align with business interests and the moneyed elite even for mass transit

More troubling is private enterprise competing with public transit and then turning to exploitative practices after dominating the market

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    The future is pretty fucking certain in that it will be bad. There are a lot of varying degrees of bad but bad is FOR SURE the adjective.

Now I will do my best to shut up when this isn't the topic but the everything is going to be OK thing is super played out and dangerously wallowing in denial at this point.

Ludious on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

ha

ha ha

yeah...

arguably it would only increase prices marginally

cheap labor doesn't necessarily only mean cheap goods

it also means higher profit margins

there will have to be a balance between corporations wanting to maintain their margins, but also the suppressed demand caused by higher prices

ideally, lower prices win out over short term profits, but

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Stockholm is pretty cool in regards to bomb shelters and stuff. A lot of public buildings as well as apartment houses have them. In my previous apartment there were blast doors in the cellar where we had the laundry room and our personal storages - so in need you could go down there and close them. That had air filters too you could crank on.

Also by mandate I think there is one gas mask per citizen living in Kommuner (a Kommun is lika a county I think but probably smaller in size generally).

And in the city there are two enormous bunkers that I know of. By day they are parking garages and stuff. One is directly below the city center and I think that one can hold at least 10,000 people. There is also one inside a cliff under one of the other areas of town. I think that one is also a parking garage usually.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I mean right now I can take an uber to and from work for about $30 as long as they're not in price gouge mode.

Like that business model works. They'll find a way to get that cost down to $10 or less by removing the driver from the equation and I won't need a car. I'd be okay with that.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »

long legs, covered in a fine down

*bites knuckles*

oh this reminds me

last night shark shouted BELOW MEEEEEEEEEEEEE

i wanted to rush straight to chat for your choicest lady eye roll

BELOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

well

did you oblige

you saucy minx

i had an overpowering urge to gobble that knob so i done gobbled

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    so yes, your tshirts won't be $10 anymore, they'll probably be $15, but, you won't get lead poisoning from your walmart flip flops anymore either
    A great deal of companies have been coming back to the US to manufacture, because a US robot can produce a million T-Shirts significantly cheaper cheaper than slave labor.

• Options
    The future is pretty fucking certain in that it will be bad. There are a lot of varying degrees of bad but bad is FOR SURE the adjective.

Now I will do my best to shut up when this isn't the topic but the everything is going to be OK thing is super played out and dangerously wallowing in denial at this point.

super bad for non whites, and pretty garbage for people who don't have at least 10 mill in the bank

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    My girlfriend is moving in... to the apartment complex next door to mine.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

ha

ha ha

yeah...

Absolutely. Because it would have a knock-on effect. Jobs come back, more people have money, more money gets spent, more jobs come back, and so on.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Neco wrote: »

that's what they're counting on

it's...extraordinarily daunting

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

Volvo has stopped marking its self driving prototypes as such because people have figured out that they drive super defensively and as such can be "bullied" into yielding even when they have priority.

Take that, Skynet

• Options
    Neco wrote: »
    You voted for him, that's your president.

• Options
    As a pedestrian, I am 95% certain that most people who change lanes while turning are not aware they're changing lanes, are barely aware that there are lanes, and will call you a fucking cunt fuck if you tell them they did something wrong

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    We just need teleporters.

Like stand on a pad and BAMF you're at work.

Let's get on that.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    You know what's interesting, is like, for example, Roads and Bridges

Bridges can be really fucking expensive. Standard highway overpass might run $3-5 million. River crossing bridge maybe $100-$200 million. A couple miles of interstate in the Quad Cities, with all the new bridges and ramp bridges is going to be over a billion dollars. More than 50% of that cost is labor!

So I guess, when you consider how third world labor is like, a fraction of what we pay here in the states, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of things were made hella cheap by outsourcing.

But I don't really know how much and surely it's gonna depend on the product.

Sir Landshark on
  • Options

ha

ha ha

yeah...

Absolutely. Because it would have a knock-on effect. Jobs come back, more people have money, more money gets spent, more jobs come back, and so on.

The other upside to it.

It'll suck for some, but, it'll be a boon for pretty much everyone that isn't stockpiling wealth outside of the US because they hate paying taxes.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    My girlfriend is moving in... to the apartment complex next door to mine.

Commitment saving throw.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/289954/ubers-self-driving-truck-makes-35-mile-run-on-ohi.html

beep beep

get ready for millions of people to become unemployed and all the economies built around trucking to also crash pew pew pew

or:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggWS4tTzs60

poo
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Let's get on that.
    I'll be honest. I'm pretty sure every time they used a transporter, they were murdered and replaced with an identical clone.

Do not want.

zepherin on
  • Options

Bridges can be really fucking expensive. Standard highway overpass might run $3-5 million. River crossing bridge maybe $100-$200 million. A couple miles of interstate in the Quad Cities, with all the new bridges and ramp bridges is going to be over a billion dollars. More than 50% of that cost is labor!

So I guess, when you consider how third world labor is like, a fraction of what we pay here in the states, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of things were made hella cheap by outsourcing.

I don't want cheap bridges made by Malaysian children who are bad at stitching

• Options

who are you arguing with

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I did not have a bad dream at all last night. I vaguely recalled having an average dream.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    That Stand Together FFXV trailer gives me goosebumps every time I watch it, which means it is fantastic marketing but also oh man they perfectly captured so many good feelings.

I look forward to humming the chocobo theme at waffles for months

• Options

I don't want cheap bridges made by Malaysian children who are bad at stitching

I'm fairly positive a robot could build roads and maybe even bridges at this point. You'll need humans to actually lay it out, but the labor for it is probably well within the realm of possibilities for robotics.

I've seen a robot build a skyscraper for christ's sake

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

Let's get on that.
    I'll be honest. I'm pretty sure every time they used a transporter, they were murdered and replaced with an identical clone.

Do not want.

It's not like they knew.

Also that's not true because if ANYONE ever figured that out then everyone that stepped out of the transporter would just instantly look like Brad Pitt and ScarJo.

We'd have an entire planet of DD ScarJos and Pitts with 9 inch dongs.

No one would complain after that.

• Options
    Don't worry guys, basic income is being piloted in Ontario! If it works, surely the US will take it as a good example for pfffffhhahahahahahaha

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I discovered recently that there's a decommissioned missile silo outside the town next to my town. Used to be a part of NORAD or the Triangle out here in Cali before the missile building stuff at Mather was shut down.

I'm p sure this means the Russians still have it listed as a target for a nuke strike.

Which is just great!

The Sacramento area would get pasted simply because there is a high enough population density to hit it. Most cities over 50k likely make the Russian targeting list because when you have over 7k good sized warheads then there is no reason to be stingy.

I live in the foothills currently, so I was hoping for some sort of protection from the Valley getting glassed, if that ever happened.

but now that there's a silo nearby, it would probably still be listed as a target, so yeah. So much for that.

You're fucked. Even if the blast doesn't touch you. Even if the radiation and the fallout doesn't get you then you need to keep in mind that you're in a moderately wooded area. Take a moment to imagine just how many wildfires would be started by all of the various blasts all around California.

mdbpjib6hys2.jpg

I'm sorry, let me give you some of the other follow on effects. Fallout will make it's way into the water supply. So you're gonna need to carefully filter all of your water. Any nuclear plant near you will contribute heavy metals to that nastiness. Then you have stuff like untreated sewage overflow that's gonna make lots of fun diseases spread. Basically the best possible individual outcome after a nuclear war is to be in the blast area and die close to instantly.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

Let's get on that.

There is one of me. We don't need to go and start making extra copies of me.

This discussion has been closed.