As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Compy can't seem to detect my USB mic anymore (win 8.1)

GoatmonGoatmon Companion of KessRegistered User regular
So I've been having issues over the last couple months with my blue snowball microphone. At least once or twice, every single day, my PC stops getting input from it and I have to disconnect and reconnect the USB to get it working again. I have no idea why this is happening but it's been ongoing for months and I'm pretty fed up.

Now, as of this morning, it just stopped receiving input from it entirely. I have no idea why it's doing this.

I figure it's ahardware problem so I got a new cable today.

Well, that didn't fix it.

I went online and found a suggested fix that involved opening devmgmt.msc, going into universal serial bus controllers, and uninstalling the microphone from the device list.

Unfortunately, my mic isn't ON the device list.

I've tried other things as well, and I just can't seem to get my computer to acknowledge that it's even there.

What the hell is up? Is my mic just fucked beyond use or something?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Have you tried a different USB port? It could be the port/connector is bad. Try moving it to a different port, or a swapping a known good device in that port.
    Bad port or dead device are usually the cause of this kind of thing.
    edit: Just for kicks you could also delete the driver and reinstall the latest from the manufacturer's website.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I reinstalled the driver.

I got a new cable.

I tried a bunch of different USB ports..

It just won't consistently work in any of them, regardless of cables.

Guess I'm buying a new microphone. Lord knows I have too much money lying around.

I've had this thing a year and a fucking half. The fuck, man.

Goatmon on

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Have you tried reinstalling or update the USB drivers instead of the microphone driver?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    No!

However it's now been explicitly telling me that something is wrong with the device when I plug it in.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    No!

However it's now been explicitly telling me that something is wrong with the device when I plug it in.

ah

yeah

that usually mean the device is FUBAR

but the USB system's driver could be FUBAR as well, that would be the last thing I try before buying a new mic

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited December 2016
    It says the USB drivers are up to date.

Guess that's it, then.

Goatmon on

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    No!

You didn't happen to shock it when you picked it up once did you? I've killed a couple peripheral devices that way. People always think of ESD as a problem when digging around inside the case, but if you tend to pick up a charge (like walking around in winter) you can zap right through the plastic on a mouse or controller.

steam_sig.png