As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Death Stranding] The Reviews are Ambiguous and Confusing! (much like the game)

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Yeah let's do it baby, let's get the ghost soldiers on our side and fight extra dimensional gods.

LET'S GO.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    DIEHARDMAN

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

I am even MORE confused now

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular

The collectors edition has a pod baby

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    D7v1UWbU0AABGZa.jpg

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Haven’t had a chance to watch it yet, but does the trailer actually give a sense of what the experience of playing the game is like?

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    Trailer spoiler:
    Yeah Del Toro is a character after all, not just in that one trailer!

This may be the only AAA game I play this year, I am totally ready for that Kojipro weirdness.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Haven’t had a chance to watch it yet, but does the trailer actually give a sense of what the experience of playing the game is like?

Yes. There's stealth gameplay, melee and gun combat, and a variety of tools (chosen from an item wheel) used for traversing challenging terrain. Also, spooky baby batteries that let you see ghosts and travel into Hades.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    metaghost wrote: »

Yes. There's stealth gameplay, melee and gun combat, and a variety of tools (chosen from an item wheel) used for traversing challenging terrain. Also, spooky baby batteries that let you see ghosts and travel into Hades.

This does not help, but I truly appreciate your effort.

(Just kidding.) Sounds interesting! Need to watch the trailer after work. I'm actually getting more intrigued as it becomes clear that this is a real thing and not some 10-year dev cycle hype promise.

But it kinda seems to me like the development time here is not.. huge? At all? Three years seems pretty efficient.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    It helps they took another studios engine.

It also helps that Hideo Kojima could probably, on his name alone, hire the best staff on the planet.

It's crazy fast development but he's crazy.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    It helps they took another studios engine.

It also helps that Hideo Kojima could probably, on his name alone, hire the best staff on the planet.

It's crazy fast development but he's crazy.

True, good point(s). The Horizon (Decima) engine is a ridiculously powerful beast, so... I'm excited to see it in action here.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    mageormike wrote: »
    Trailer spoiler:

This may be the only AAA game I play this year, I am totally ready for that Kojipro weirdness.

I am impressed (although I shouldn't have been surprised) that every trailer we had was not "weird for the sake of weird. . ." The Del Toro/Mads trailer I thought was cool as hell, but I honestly rolled my eyes at thinking "Ok great Kojima. . .the engine looks fantastic, can you actually give us a real impression about what the game is going to be."

. . .turns out he did. Even the scar on Deadman (Del Toro) and the intricate Bridges logo are exactly the same. Amazing.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Metal Gear plus Evangelion.

• Options
    Yeah, I think the key to its relatively abbreviated development is getting access to Decima (Guerilla's engine developed for Horizon Zero Dawn) and having the full support of Sony as though they were a 1st Party studio (which I don't think they are).

So many of the developmental horror stories we've witnessed in recent years tend to stem from the combined development of proprietary technology in tandem with a game's development.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Is that trailer song from Escaflowne?

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    ns53sv2rcqqe.jpg

• Options
    ED! wrote: »
    mageormike wrote: »
    Trailer spoiler:

I am impressed (although I shouldn't have been surprised) that every trailer we had was not "weird for the sake of weird. . ." The Del Toro/Mads trailer I thought was cool as hell, but I honestly rolled my eyes at thinking "Ok great Kojima. . .the engine looks fantastic, can you actually give us a real impression about what the game is going to be."

. . .turns out he did. Even the scar on Deadman (Del Toro) and the intricate Bridges logo are exactly the same. Amazing.

Do not underestimate a man made of 90 percent movies.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'm wondering if this isn't like MGSV where there's going to be several large maps that multiple missions take place in, but where you can freely explore and do things outside of the story missions.

Of course, in MGSV the best gameplay experiences were from just doing sidequests or the more freeform main missions - the more tightly-scripted story pieces were restrictive and felt frustrating in comparison to how most of the game played. It was a strange dichotomy where because the gameplay was so enjoyable, you could actually notice that it suffered when forced to comply with cinematic narrative constraints.

I would love nothing more than for this game to be mainly traversing these open areas delivering things and avoiding encounters with various roaming enemies, with the tightly scripted story missions being kind of their own thing that you won't stumble into by accident.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Death Stranding is about making friends.
    People have created “Walls” and become accustomed to living in isolation.

“Death Stranding” is a completely new type of action game, where the goal of the player is to reconnect isolated cities and a fragmented society. It is created so that all elements, including the story and gameplay, are bound together by the theme of the “Strand” or connection. As Sam Porter Bridges, you will attempt to bridge the divides in society, and in doing create new bonds or “Strands” with other players around the globe. Through your experience playing the game, I hope you’ll come to understand the true importance of forging connections with others.

So we will be playing as Herman Meetus and baby on a happy jaunt across America having adventures and getting into hijinks and getting sucked into ghost-hell WW1 by ethereal shadow monsters and learning the true value of friendship along the way.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Grove wrote: »
    Is that trailer song from Escaflowne?

Nah. Path by Apocalyptica, one of their very early origional non-cover songs, from back when they were 4 cellists (now they're 3 cellists and a drummer).

Kojima used my favorite European Symphonic Metal band in his trailer. Sweet.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Death Stranding is about making friends.
    People have created “Walls” and become accustomed to living in isolation.

“Death Stranding” is a completely new type of action game, where the goal of the player is to reconnect isolated cities and a fragmented society. It is created so that all elements, including the story and gameplay, are bound together by the theme of the “Strand” or connection. As Sam Porter Bridges, you will attempt to bridge the divides in society, and in doing create new bonds or “Strands” with other players around the globe. Through your experience playing the game, I hope you’ll come to understand the true importance of forging connections with others.

So we will be playing as Herman Meetus and baby on a happy jaunt across America having adventures and getting into hijinks and getting sucked into ghost-hell WW1 by ethereal shadow monsters and learning the true value of friendship along the way.

...the Aristocrats!

• Options
    One thing I can't shake is that...

CONAN O BRIEN IS GONNA BE IN THERE SOMEWHERE.

He went to Japan, he was IN KojiPro studios, and in a live chat about his Japan visit he said he wasn't allowed to talk about meeting Kojima.

ITS SOMEWHERE IN HERE.

• Options
    The baby grows up to be CoCo and then the prologue is you as Norman Reedus hanging out with your large adult son Conan O'Brien confirmed.

• Options
    Death Stranding is the Dark Souls of Metal Gear.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Juggernut wrote: »
    The baby grows up to be CoCo and then the prologue is you as Norman Reedus hanging out with your large adult son Conan O'Brien confirmed.

What if they just did facial mocap and at some point that baby flips over but it’s got Conan’s face.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Well I guess I may as well buy a PS4

• Options
    I wanna know if Mikkelsen is a good guy or a bad guy.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Absalon wrote: »
    I wanna know if Mikkelsen is a good guy or a bad guy.

He's hanging out with skeleton soldiers, and there's gameplay footage of you shooting skeleton soldiers. His name is Cliff and the organization you work for is called Bridges. He's definitely a bad guy.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    I love Kojima has not lost his naming "abilities".

Why yes, that guy there, his name is DIE-HARDMAN. Not to be confused with DEADMAN.

Oh, the leader of the skeleton army? That's Cliff!

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Really? His full name is Sam Porter Bridges? Sam Carrier Connector? Okay. I'm okay with that.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    The names are so on the nose, I love it.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    game looks real good

set symbolism phasers to maximum strength

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Here’s a wall of text description I haven’t seen posted anywhere else. A lot of interesting stuff. Especially about “game over”.
    After the collapse of civilization, Sam Bridges must journey across a ravaged landscape crawling with otherworldly threats to save mankind from the brink of extinction. From legendary game creator Hideo Kojima comes an all-new, genre-defying experience for the PlayStation®4 system.
    Face unique challenges
    Arm yourself and take aim at a variety of objectives in your mission to reunite a broken nation, while balancing under the weight of your cargo as you travel. Protect your supplies from wild bandits, and stay safe from the terrifying Beached Things… or face failing those who depend on you.
    Death is not the end
    There is no traditional ‘game over’ state in Death Stranding. Lose your life during combat and you’ll find yourself in an upside-down realm, searching for a way back to the living. Choose your combat methods carefully, as killing your foe is > almost never the solution – and every death carries a consequence.
    Assist other players
    Help other travellers without ever crossing paths via asynchronous online gameplay. Send supplies, share safe houses and walk in the footsteps of fellow couriers to reunite civilisation.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    One thing I can't shake is that...

CONAN O BRIEN IS GONNA BE IN THERE SOMEWHERE.

He went to Japan, he was IN KojiPro studios, and in a live chat about his Japan visit he said he wasn't allowed to talk about meeting Kojima.

ITS SOMEWHERE IN HERE.

He's going to be Conan The-Barbarianman

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Here’s a wall of text description I haven’t seen posted anywhere else. A lot of interesting stuff. Especially about “game over”.
    snip

sounds amazing

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Very interested in Kojima’s take on Souls style asynchronous multiplayer stuff

Can I leave weird nonsense messages for other players

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Ok, so Mads turns out to be the Sorrow from MGS 3 because WW1 is where he meets The Boss and there's the weird WW1 ghosts so he somehow travels to the alternate reality where MGS takes place during WW1 and this explains why the Sorrow can speak to ghosts and and this game BRIDGES the gap in Metal Gear lore from Konami to Kojima productions.

nailed it

Edit: Mads wears glasses in that one scene...just like The Sorrow does, so MGS -1 pretty much confirmed now

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Oh my God this game is already breaking our minds and it's not even out yet

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I love how the “alert” sound at 2:58 in that trailer sounds like the one from MGS, only it shifts into a weird scream noise.