As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DCEU] launched a streaming service which has Young Justice S3

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    See, that looks like Captain Marvel to me. Bright and colorful.

You're right. Better fix that.

5ckdys85sk1c.png

Put the corpse of Talky Tawny in the background and you are hired.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Looks like we're already getting some big roles recast. It took the guy decades, but Superman will finally be portrayed by Nicholas Cage.
    ...in the Teen Titans Go movie. I'm actually starting to get a little excited about the flick.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I think the best metaphor I can come up for with the DCU is that it's like a really bad session of FTL; you're facing a drone that's armed to the teeth with Ion weapons and breach bombs at a pulsar and half your ship is on fire. It's a fucking travesty but some part of you thinks that if you can just get to the next sector their might be a shop or a friendly encounter so you can repair all of this shit, when the truth is that you're just going to limp into another brutally unfair fight and die a miserable death forcing you to restart anyways.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    See, that looks like Captain Marvel to me. Bright and colorful.

You're right. Better fix that.

5ckdys85sk1c.png

I was under the impression (and not alone) that the were going to (hopefully) do something to the suit in post as it looks fairly ridiculous being so bright and padded.

That is an improvement, grimdark or not. Shrug.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Interview with the showrunner of Krypton which will be canon for the DCEU.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Hahaha like canon DCEU means anything

• Options

And after Flashpoint they'll have 2 branches.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »

I did not know until now that they were doing Flashpoint.

There are no words.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

There are no words.

There's always "why?" and "aaaargh."

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    There seems to be a certain tendency somewhere in the decision making process to pick the biggest named storylines associated with a character, and do that.
    So we got a film that was as close to Dark Knight Returns as the established universe could handle, and if Batgirl ever shows up, I'm expecting Killing Joke to be already scheduled in her future.

I'm honestly surprised that we've had 6 Spider-man movies, and none of them have touched the Clone Saga. Surely it's just a matter of time.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options

There are no words.

Lie I said upthread; the timey wimey nonsense of flashpoint is probably one of the best ways to retcon punch the snyderverse out of existance while still keeping gal and mamoa.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Gaddez wrote: »

There are no words.

Lie I said upthread; the timey wimey nonsense of flashpoint is probably one of the best ways to retcon punch the snyderverse out of existance while still keeping gal and mamoa.

Or just start over and keep gal and mamoa. Don't spend a bunch of money on a story concept that flatly doesn't work until you've had a well established universe.

You don't have to recast for a reboot. I can't even make sense of the X-men movies timeline anymore, but Hugh Jackman is Wolverine in all of them.

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Gaddez wrote: »

There are no words.

Or just start over and keep gal and mamoa. Don't spend a bunch of money on a story concept that flatly doesn't work until you've had a well established universe.

You don't have to recast for a reboot. I can't even make sense of the X-men movies timeline anymore, but Hugh Jackman is Wolverine in all of them.

Except that they did a bunch of timey whimey nonsense in the Xmen franchise.

• Options
    If they just want to recast someone they could just pull a Rhodey/Banner in the MCU and just recast without bothering to explain it.

Rebooting gives you the opportunity to change the character.

• Options
    Or hell, James Bond. They've done various reboots over the decades with no one really batting an eye.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Should have just used Wally instead of Barry, so many more classy stories to pick from.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »
    If they just want to recast someone they could just pull a Rhodey/Banner in the MCU and just recast without bothering to explain it.

Rebooting gives you the opportunity to change the character.

And really, this is the reason to do a reboot; batman and supes are both fundamentally wrong in this setting and wierd, illogical holes exist in it's current metaplot.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://deadline.com/2018/03/ava-duvernay-new-gods-movie-warner-bros-dc-jack-kirby-1202338680/
    Ava DuVernay To Direct Jack Kirby Comic Creation ‘The New Gods’ For Warner Bros, DC

EXCLUSIVE: After making history as the first woman of color to helm a $100 million-plus live-action film in A Wrinkle In Time, Ava DuVernay will continue to play in the event film sandbox. She’s closing a deal with Warner Bros and DC to direct a big-budget screen adaptation of The New Gods, the creation of revered comic book impresario Jack Kirby. The studio will quickly set a screenwriter who’ll craft the narrative and work closely with DuVernay.

[...]
    I hope DC doesn't mess this up because New Gods is exactly the sort of cosmic stuff they should have been doing.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Hopefully the New Gods playing in a sandbox that is so far removed from Earth allows them to avoid most of the DCEU's bullshit.

• Options
    considering how weak Wrinkle In Time did both critically and financially, I'd prefer someone else at the helm, like Matthew Vaughn maybe since he's been rumored for the Superman sequel.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    New Gods is the movie of the week for DC to announce this time.

The next phase is for them to never mention it again and to announce that Blue Beetle and Booster Gold buddy comedy movie that I really want.

Isn't that what DC does now just keep announcing new movies with no intent on actually making any of them?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Give me Barda and Scott kicking the shit out of parademons while discussing the neighborhood barbeque they are hosting, and gossiping about the people they've invited.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    As long as Barda doesn't go anywhere near Superman.
    O_o

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    considering how weak Wrinkle In Time did both critically and financially, I'd prefer someone else at the helm, like Matthew Vaughn maybe since he's been rumored for the Superman sequel.

So instead of someone interesting, you want the guy mostly responsible for trying to make Mark Millar's work palatable?

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

You mean director of critical flop Kingsman: Golden Circle that opened all of $6 million more than Wrinkle in Time?

I mean, yeah Wrinkle in Time doesn't exactly look like a resume builder, but at least pick someone whose last movie doesn't fail the same criteria you're using

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Vaughn also did the great and underrated Stardust, showing he knows the fantasy element very well and making it work for a 2 hour movie.

And he also did Layer Cake, easily top 10 movie for me. And while I didn't care for it, First Class did well too (and Golden Circle made more than First Class with a smaller budget).

• Options
    ...guess they were going to have to confront the "Thanos and Darkseid are more or less the same thing" issue sooner or later. A New Gods movie is probably the most interesting way to rip off that particular Band-Aid.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    People don't care. They only care about whether or not it's good.

Well, they care to the extent that whatever they experienced first will be considered "original" to them.

So in this case DC already lost and should focus on making good movies that people actually want to see.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    ...guess they were going to have to confront the "Thanos and Darkseid are more or less the same thing" issue sooner or later. A New Gods movie is probably the most interesting way to rip off that particular Band-Aid.

Yeah, surrounding Darksied by a dozen other interesting characters would go a long way to helping that.

Though I'm not sure if people even care at this point.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://deadline.com/2018/03/ava-duvernay-new-gods-movie-warner-bros-dc-jack-kirby-1202338680/
    Ava DuVernay To Direct Jack Kirby Comic Creation ‘The New Gods’ For Warner Bros, DC

EXCLUSIVE: After making history as the first woman of color to helm a $100 million-plus live-action film in A Wrinkle In Time, Ava DuVernay will continue to play in the event film sandbox. She’s closing a deal with Warner Bros and DC to direct a big-budget screen adaptation of The New Gods, the creation of revered comic book impresario Jack Kirby. The studio will quickly set a screenwriter who’ll craft the narrative and work closely with DuVernay.

[...]
    I hope DC doesn't mess this up because New Gods is exactly the sort of cosmic stuff they should have been doing.

In theory this has potential, in practice WB is going to micromanage it to death then cancel it when it gets convenient.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    There seems to be a certain tendency somewhere in the decision making process to pick the biggest named storylines associated with a character, and do that.
    So we got a film that was as close to Dark Knight Returns as the established universe could handle, and if Batgirl ever shows up, I'm expecting Killing Joke to be already scheduled in her future.

I'm honestly surprised that we've had 6 Spider-man movies, and none of them have touched the Clone Saga. Surely it's just a matter of time.

I forget which youtube video it was but I liked their observation. A lot of the DC stuff feels like someone googled the “best” comics for the characters and read a couple trades from that list. Those stories can be great but most of them are great in part because of the characterization and history created by earlier stories. Jumping straight in to the “big” stories robs them of the build up that makes them big.

Edit: Cosmonaut Variety Hour! The title is a bit misleading. He's a big fan of DC's comic characters but understandably has beef with the movie versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PraUjsClgDM

Quid on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    So, in other news. Internet hate machine is what it is. Just watched Justice League for the first time (waited for the 4k home release) and honestly I loved it.

The actors nailed the characters, action was great. Aquaman was iffy, not from the actor but the overall brah aspect.

Yes, Steppenwolf had no depth, but he's a footsoldier for Darkseid. He isn't supposed to.

Admittedly I am like THE target audience for this film. I have a literal Batman wall in my house.

But as a fun action movie, it was great.

The foreclosure of Kent farm was pretty WTF, parenthetically. But they fixed it.

EDIT: Btw, Cavill is just fine as Superman. Did great in this. Prior issues were clearly direction.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

That's the funny thing, to the world now it will be Darkseid who is the imitation (and why is he named after Star Wars? They'll ask) of Thanos.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Womp Womp
    Last week, Justice League quietly ended its domestic box office run with a total gross of a little over $229 million, making it the lowest-grossing film in the new DC Universe.

It’s a hugely surprising fact considering the Zack Snyder-directed film featuring Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, and Cyborg was set up to be DC’s version of The Avengers—a film that blew away the others by bringing together all of its heroes. Plus, the release came mere months after the huge success of Wonder Woman. So most thought that goodwill would carry over. It did not.

The $229,024,295 gross puts Justice League over $60 million behind Man of Steel, which is in fourth place, almost $100 million behind Suicide Squad (third place), a little over $100 million behind Batman v Superman (second place), and about $183 million behind DC’s number one film, Wonder Woman.

Internationally, it’s more of the same. While the film is likely still playing a few places across the globe, its international total is currently at $657,924,295 which, again, puts it fifth out of the five DC movies with about $10 million between it and Man of Steel (so it may still top that). Batman v Superman is number one in this category, with $873 million over Wonder Woman’s $821 million.

Hopefully this was a big enough wake up call that they look to Wonder Woman and think "Hrm. Maybe we should do more of that."

• Options
    How did WW open? I got the impression that it started slower than it should have (with people being cautious after BvS and Suicide Squad), but then good reviews and word of mouth picked it up and carried it.
    Whereas if anything, JL got the opposite.
    Probably not even that, because it was sounding confused before it even released.

• Options
    How did WW open? I got the impression that it started slower than it should have (with people being cautious after BvS and Suicide Squad), but then good reviews and word of mouth picked it up and carried it.
    Whereas if anything, JL got the opposite.
    Probably not even that, because it was sounding confused before it even released.

It made $103 million its first weekend, so it was really strong out of the gate.

Honestly, if Wonder Woman turned out to be the tonal template for DC movies going forward (like Iron Man was for the Marvel movies) I wouldn't complain.

• Options
    So now Krypton is not part of the DCEU or Arrowverse.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Haha

Looks like that planet is doomed in more ways than one

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I mean, neither is Gotham, as far as I know. No surprise they'd do the same thing here.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
This discussion has been closed.