As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We've got to slow down, in the [Terrace House]

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    I just finished the first series last night (took a little over two weeks) and I will probably be starting Aloha State instead of finishing Jessica Jones S2 which I started before Terrace House

I had a crush on almost every girl, including iPad girl (I know her name is Triendl, but being eternally on iPad duty is hilarious)

Almost every guy was very cool, everyone was so attractive and trendy it was painful and they all had such cool jobs and the food was great and it makes me want to date more?

Glasses guy was hilarious
    The Riko/Hayato twist happening so close to the series finale stretches the believability that this is unscripted, as that timing was bonkers. But I really loved that something big happened by them consciously avoiding cameras, it's a neat idea

Anyway, I hope Arman shows up in Aloha State

Go ahead and lower those Aloha State expectations

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I've heard. I'm still gonna watch it though

Going through older posts in this thread, I'm really surprised by the Mizuki love. She was fine, that thing with Makoto was cool, but she just did not leave an impression on me. She's one of the members I most struggle to remember

And though I came around on Hansan pretty fast (and in a big way) at first I could not get what the panelists and the housemates saw in him. Arman's right there being the coolest and handsomest dude in the world, always taking his shirt off and Triendl is losing it over this hippie-looking dude

I wound up loving the responsible big brother-dynamic he brought to the house, he's right up there with Arman as the best of the best. But until that dynamic was established, I didn't quite get the reaction being as strong as it was just based on his initial introduction, and he didn't look anywhere near as handsome as most guys on the show (though the haircut he eventually got helped a great deal with this)

I liked Natsumi quite a lot, though I was expecting her to be more controversial
    Yuki and Yuriko not getting together was an actual crime

You people are too hard on Arisa,
    her only negative trait was that she couldn't love Arman the way me and Arman wanted her to, but that's not her fault! Joining his gym was cool, the hat store was cool, Arisa was cool

Byrnes, Misaki, Martha, are all great, the three dudes that everyone agrees suck do all suck. I don't feel like ranking anyone, but there's my post-mortem on the show

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Mizuki was amazing.

She was probably the most selfless girl on the whole season, she was an amazing friend to the other girls, she tried to get closer to Makoto but when he showed interest in Minori she was like "ok!" and when back to being everybody's cool supportive friend.

Then when Makoto acted a fool and make Minori feel bad, Mizuki went right up to him and said "hey, you're being a dick, stop being a dick". And not in a mean or oblique embarrassing way in front of everyone, but direct and alone in a way that was constructive to everyone.

Mizuki was definitely my favourite girl in that season and one of the best in all four seasons so far.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Mizuki deserves better than she got on the show.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    ...I can barely remember her. I was probably unreasonably fond of Nacchan, because while she could be so harsh, I liked that she seemed a bit emotionally raw and oversensitive, rather than just some humdrum model-type focusing on life goals.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    I definitely see why people bounced off of Aloha State, as early on people are often mean to each other and it's a lot more frustrating drama than you'd expect from the show

But by the time Taishi joins Yuya has become way better and the show as a whole feels like itself again

Lauren and Taishi are probably all-time top ten members. Taishi might be my favorite ever

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Bizarro opinions in here

• Options
    Lauren and Taishi are probably all-time top ten members. Taishi might be my favorite ever

man what the hell

• Options
    The next eps drop may 22nd btw.

• Options
    #pipe wrote: »

man what the hell

This doesn't mean anything without context! What did they ever do to you?

I mean Taishi could still turn out to be a jerk but so far he's kind, supportive, cool, interesting, emotional

Lauren has left and even came back for a sec and I can't imagine what she did wrong

The current group (Niki just joined and is charming as hell) feels like they would fit in perfectly with the previous series

Early on Erik and Yuya were jerks and there was a lot of annoying drama surrounding (but not caused by) Naomi, but everyone improved and/or left. Yuya's growth has been really impressive, he's really cleaned up his act

In general I really do like the more multicultural angle this series has-- pretty much everyone is of mixed parentage, they're on a Japanese show but living in a foreign country, some members are better at English and some are better with Japanese. It's really neat to see them revert to their first language in more emotional moments.

I haven't gone back and read the discussion in this thread from when this was first released, but I have to assume everyone gave up after Part 1, because all my problems with it were solved shortly after that

• Options
    I certainly did not give up or even pause watching Aloha State, but it is easily the least compelling and most frustrating of all 4 houses to me yet, and also feels like it was the worst edited (or compiled I guess, I don't know how you talk about the story telling and selection of footage in a reality show).

I mean if you think Taishi is cool then we're gonna part ways right there because I can't think of him as anything other than a massive blowhard (except for one particular scene late in the season which I talked about earlier in the thread)

I don't think Lauren did anything wrong per se, she was just extremely boring, and besides be actively antagonistic which is rare in the Terrace House world, boring is about the worst thing a person can be.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Luckily, Aloha State also has "actively antagonistic"!

• Options
    By the end of Aloha State, Taishi became neutral to me. I really hated him and his whole thing up until he called out Cheri's bullshit, and he only rose a little higher because I liked Chikako and wanted her to be happy, and if Taishi did it for her then that's fine.

Lauren......was really just boring, and it really seemed like she was being super reserved on the show because she does modeling and has art shows and seems really outgoing but was just this quiet awkward thing on camera. You could really tell she was cast because she fit a "cute, artsy" type, and they really seemed to want something to happen between her and Yusuke, but they were just too painfully awkward to ever have something happen.

Aloha State's problem, for me, just seems to be a casting thing than anything else. There wasn't really any point where I felt that the house had become a cohesive unit like what happened in Boys and Girls in the City (and even Opening New Doors has this so far, even if it's the entire house in opposition to one member). There were individual housemates that I liked (Niki and Guy, Avian, and Ryu who just came too late to do much), but it was just too disjointed. And then you had things where it was becoming obvious that there were relationships or events that weren't being filmed (the biggest that comes to mind is Wesley and Anna, who clearly were hooking up off-camera but no one really brought it up). The fact that the finale stepped away from the people who were about to leave the house to check in on Guy, Niki, Avian, and Yuya speaks to just how miscast everything was.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    What’s wrong with Taishi? I really don’t get it. He’s like Yuya and Guy’s cool big brother

I’ll grant you that Lauren was quiet, but so were Minori, med school girl, and Arisa, and I found all of them perfectly compelling

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I was/am also big Lauren fan
    I'm also extremely boring

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Taishi is the opposite of cool
    He's overdramatic, frequently judgmental
    He hands down advice like he's the expert on life, but is unable to follow any of his own guidance
    He seems to have no problem turning any and all conversations back around to his problem, and his problem is always women
    I wasn't a fan of how he rapidly falls in love with each new girl in the house and then just as rapidly moves on, and frankly I think "a love worth dying for" is a gross, obsessive, and objectifying way to approach dating

All of these things would probably be relatively minor if not for the fact that he's on the show for so long and so much of the season is devoted to all his stuff

• Options
    Taishi also strikes me as a dude who read like a thousand pickup artist books.

• Options
    Really?

Maybe it’s just early but he seems really genuine to me?

Like the dude from the end of the previous series that was with Riki, sure, I could totally see that

• Options
    he definitely gets more and more insufferable as he goes along. Give it a while and you'll see through his schtick too.

And Lauren wasn't boring because she was quiet, there have been lots of interesting quiet housemates.
    Lauren is boring because she seems to actively avoid doing interesting things and progressing the story of the house.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    OND Part 2 is now available in the US

Please discuss

• Options
    I am at work and will watch the show when I am not at work

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Shion is the smoothest person this show has ever had.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Tsubasa kicks some serious ass in the first ep of this block.

Edit (same ep)
    HOLY SHIT YUUDAI YOU LYING CREEP.

Your ex said there was no chance for your relationship, why are you telling the group you’re leaving to be closer to her.

And of course the one day he shows any effort at all is the day he’s leaving.

Edit (ep 2)

Oh god

rhylith on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Episode 2 (ie episode 10)

Oh man, things are about to get weiiiiird

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    I am FAIRLY CERTAIN I am at the part in Episode 2 that is making everyone freak out, and all I can say is holy shit.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    Just finished episode 2. I have high hopes for this next set of episodes.

• Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    spoil me on ep 2

• Options
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    spoil me on ep 2
    Seina is back and living in the house again.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Almost done with Part 2:
    Things have been hella dull, in great part because the Taka/Ami romance is pushed to the front and Ami is less entertaining than the pet rock I had as kid — and it didn't even have googly eyes!

In that regard, I get why they brought Seina back, to try and invigorate things, but I find that she actually just makes everything feel staged no matter how mundane.

And dag, I feel bad for that team Tsubasa dismantled in the first round (or whatever).

• Options
    Part 2 episode 2
    get Seina out of here. I do not like this woman

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Part 2 episode 2
    I like her a lot

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Part 2 episode 2
    I like her a lot
    I'm mostly still concerned about her inclusion, but in episode 3 so far she's being way less dramatic than I thought after extrapolating out the few minutes we see of her introduction.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    God she's like the Japanese Fran Drescher

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Part 2 episode 2
    I like her a lot

"You seem like you like to drink."
    "I have no other interests."

Yeah, I love her already.

• Options
    She's actually really insightful in the conversations she has with the other housemates.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Ya her intro seems waaaay played up. I was worried too, but i actually really like her a lot now.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    The intro music change bothers me waaaaaaaay more than it should, but about halfway through Season 2 it seems like they got the mojo back after Aloha State which was just "meh."

• Options

Okay I want to walk this back because she's way better in the bulk of her first full episode than she was the night she showed up, but Jesus, that was a bad first impression

Maybe just don't let her get drunk

• Options

Okay I want to walk this back because she's way better in the bulk of her first full episode than she was the night she showed up, but Jesus, that was a bad first impression

How dare you

• Options

Counterpoint: the last shot in that episode of her sitting alone, swirling wine and giggling was magical and the most I have ever seen myself in a house member.

t70pctuqq2uv.png