Options

[Sysadmin] Go to the new thread now, dog.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I should probably try to start fitting those in.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    twmjr wrote: »
    congrats! it's all down hill from there (imo at least, switch was the hardest).

I just recertified by taking TSHOOT and I can report that it's still stupid easy seeing as I passed it without studying for a second.

ho man! that was what i had hoped in doing switch first.

im taking tshoot at cisco live! this year.

if all goes to plan and i become a ccnp at the event there will be alot of partying in vegas.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I got sent to a client site yesterday... new client, we'd never done work for them before. Apparently they were unhappy with their previous provider and cold called us looking for a new option.

They have Century Link DSL. They said they have too many users for their connection and they thought it was too slow in the past. They called their previous tech support vendor. That vendor's solution was to get them a second DSL line, and hook them both up to the router.

It.... it doesn't fucking work like that. That's not how any of this works.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    I got sent to a client site yesterday... new client, we'd never done work for them before. Apparently they were unhappy with their previous provider and cold called us looking for a new option.

They have Century Link DSL. They said they have too many users for their connection and they thought it was too slow in the past. They called their previous tech support vendor. That vendor's solution was to get them a second DSL line, and hook them both up to the router.

You could, theoretically, do something like that. But you'd need a load balancing router. They actually make consumer versions of them, I think netgear and linksys both have one.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-SRX5308-Firewall-SRX5308-100NAS/dp/B003HF8SL8/

look at that shit

quad fucking wan

get out of here

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I guess the good thing about DSL is that it's similar to T1s in that a separate pull = direct path to the ISP.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Wha?

Did I wake up in the 90's and people are bonding the ISDN links together?

• Options
    very real thing

like I've said previously, not all of us live in a city!

if there are farms within 20 miles of your location, there's a good chance you're going to be using IT solutions that were devised in the 80s.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    Wha?

Did I wake up in the 90's and people are bonding the ISDN links together?

and suddenly I'm salivating at the thought of getting 4 gigabit lines bonded to have ALL OF THE INTERNETS.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Cog wrote: »

You could, theoretically, do something like that. But you'd need a load balancing router. They actually make consumer versions of them, I think netgear and linksys both have one.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-SRX5308-Firewall-SRX5308-100NAS/dp/B003HF8SL8/

look at that shit

quad fucking wan

get out of here

from the This Exists? files:

so like that works but you're still topped out at the max speed of any one line
    but there are companies that will take your multiple lines in, give you some special hardware, set up a kind of fancy VPN between your house and their datacenter that has fat pipes, and allow you to add up your connections. 2x 20meg lines? One user can download at 40meg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqbnjgbtDl0

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    I'd love to try that.

• Options
    No. I know. I wasn't trying to be flip.

When I was a kid I used to bind network links together with some modems and a Linux machine. I even talked my parents into getting me an ISDN line at one point.

• Options
    hell I've worked somewhere where we had a gravel pit (literally a gravel pit) in the middle of nowhere, and the only connectivity was cellular, so we bonded like 4 USB HSPA+ modems together to get them about a 15 down 2 up connection to support the 5 or so computers there.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Until we got rid of our DSL entirely, we had business customers with bonded DSL lines. We basically used a Cisco router with a couple DSL cards and MLPPP.

It wasn't fun to support.

EDIT: Oh, and we had tower sites that used it, too. Because that was legitimately our only way of getting a PoP in that area.

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    A change log can save you tons of work down the road with troubleshooting and yet it's like pulling teeth to get it implemented by people.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Ticket just game in the system, marked with the highest of priorities.

URGENT: Missing Mouse

The wireless mouse for the laptop we use in the meeting room is missing. We require another by end of day.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

The wireless mouse for the laptop we use in the meeting room is missing. We require another by end of day.

Best part? It's Friday.

Unless they're running a meeting at 8am Monday it can wait.

• Options

Best part? It's Friday.

they do have one (I actually checked that meeting room's calendar). Though I'm still tempted to say "the laptop has a trackpad that should work just fine until you find the mouse that you lost."

• Options
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    A change log can save you tons of work down the road with troubleshooting and yet it's like pulling teeth to get it implemented by people.

Paperwork is tedious.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

I would not hesitate to give them the address of the nearest department store.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

I would not hesitate to give them the address of the nearest department store.

"Can it wait two days? There's a sweet mouse on Amazon and I have free shipping with Prime."

• Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    Ticket Closed.
    Reason: Laptop has auxiliary input.
    Resolution Steps: Open laptop, use trackpad.

Huh...
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    "Hey why isn't our Backup Exec working?"

*gets on server. c:\ has 3.6 gigabytes free HDD space, and between 300 and 700 megs free RAM at any given time*

Why is your backup server also running WSUS?

"Why is that a problem?"

Not if you have the right hardware.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

*gets on server. c:\ has 3.6 gigabytes free HDD space, and between 300 and 700 megs free RAM at any given time*

"Why is that a problem?"

Oh sure. Next you'll tell them that the coupons have to come off of there, too.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

"Why is that a problem?"

Oh sure. Next you'll tell them that the coupons have to come off of there, too.

I am incorrigible in my constant need for basic operating procedures.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Best part? It's Friday.

they do have one (I actually checked that meeting room's calendar). Though I'm still tempted to say "the laptop has a trackpad that should work just fine until you find the mouse that you lost."

URGENT WE ARE ALSO OUT OF PAPER TOWELS.

Paper Towels are IT, right?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Hardware failures must happen on a Friday night. It's a law.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    the internet/release schedule/price of games+tech is a killer to me

I'd need a hefty pay raise to accommodate all those crazy things and I don't think I'd be able to find a place in NZ that'd give me the equivalent of 120k+ in USD. Not without a masters or anything.

If you were able to maintain a US bank account/credit card/PO Box, you'd probably be fine on that front. I don't think NZ/Aus stuff gets delayed that often anymore.

Good points. CoL is crazy though.

@ecco the dolphin is your food really cheaper? I thought I mentioned getting produce and you were like "holy shit that's cheap" ? Rent is crazy high even in the outskirts of Auckland I thought.

I'd consider living there, I honestly would.

"the outskirts of Auckland" is like saying "the outskirts of Manhattan".

If you're willing to drive for 20 minutes to get into the city proper (usually referred to as 'downtown' in the US I believe? The central business district?), then property can be found fairly cheaply.

If you really want dirt-cheap house prices, you either move to a rural area of the mainland, or Tasmania. For example, you can get 5+ acre hobby farm lots near a small township for AUD$180k (so currently about USD$150k) approximately 50 minutes drive east of Perth, the capital city of Western Australia. I should know, my parents live out there!

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »
    the internet/release schedule/price of games+tech is a killer to me

I'd need a hefty pay raise to accommodate all those crazy things and I don't think I'd be able to find a place in NZ that'd give me the equivalent of 120k+ in USD. Not without a masters or anything.

If you were able to maintain a US bank account/credit card/PO Box, you'd probably be fine on that front. I don't think NZ/Aus stuff gets delayed that often anymore.

Good points. CoL is crazy though.

@ecco the dolphin is your food really cheaper? I thought I mentioned getting produce and you were like "holy shit that's cheap" ? Rent is crazy high even in the outskirts of Auckland I thought.

I'd consider living there, I honestly would.

"the outskirts of Auckland" is like saying "the outskirts of Manhattan".

If you're willing to drive for 20 minutes to get into the city proper (usually referred to as 'downtown' in the US I believe? The central business district?), then property can be found fairly cheaply.

If you really want dirt-cheap house prices, you either move to a rural area of the mainland, or Tasmania. For example, you can get 5+ acre hobby farm lots near a small township for AUD$180k (so currently about USD$150k) approximately 50 minutes drive east of Perth, the capital city of Western Australia. I should know, my parents live out there!

50 minutes drive? Not bad.

• Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    Certainly cheaper than land is 50 minutes from Minneapolis. You'd be luck to find a typical quarter acre lot and house combo at that price 50 minutes from Minneapolis.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think this tech support guy wants me to take a picture of the black monitor as he wants a screen shot of the console of the device when I have told him it runs for four seconds and then turns off. He also wants a screen shot of the graphical interface which would be a "Problem Loading Page" default error screen.

• Options
    Am I wrong in thinking that having the VSS limited to 300 gb will bork Backup Exec when it tries to backup 350 gb?

I really don't know much about Backup Exec other than it uses VSS processes, but I'm not entirely sure if it adheres to the VSS Windows settings or not.

I'm assuming it does.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    I've spent my entire morning arguing with another Sys Admin about how many hours there were yesterday (you know, DST change day) IN EASTERN STANDARD TIME. STANDARD TIME does not ever change, so there are always 24 hours.

• Options
    related: fuck daylight saving time.

• Options
    I've spent my entire morning arguing with another Sys Admin about how many hours there were yesterday (you know, DST change day) IN EASTERN STANDARD TIME. STANDARD TIME does not ever change, so there are always 24 hours.

We have this with certain hourly people every year who want to know if they are going to be paid for their "missing" hour.

• Options

We have this with certain hourly people every year who want to know if they are going to be paid for their "missing" hour.

And then want to get paid for an "extra" hour in the fall.

• Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    I think this tech support guy wants me to take a picture of the black monitor as he wants a screen shot of the console of the device when I have told him it runs for four seconds and then turns off. He also wants a screen shot of the graphical interface which would be a "Problem Loading Page" default error screen.

Sounds like a standard encounter with a vendor's level 1 techs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Now I'm just curious what the... point of this argument, other than semantics. Was something impacted? I don't believe that there's anywhere that observes EST year round, so arguing about how many hours are in a time zone observation type that doesn't exist is odd.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    donavannj wrote: »

Sounds like a standard encounter with a vendor's level 1 techs.

especially one that has level 1 highly scripted.

• Options
    I think this is the 2nd time in the last 6 months or so that Symantec has discovered a massive security flaw in their software and rolled out a fix that requires 2 reboots to install the update.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Now I'm just curious what the... point of this argument, other than semantics. Was something impacted? I don't believe that there's anywhere that observes EST year round, so arguing about how many hours are in a time zone observation type that doesn't exist is odd.
    Yeah, so for basically the entire time we have had computers, our main office (where I work) and our two plants always used EST to communicate about the time that electricity is being generated. (This may actually go back before computerization...we have been around for a while.) One reason is that one of our plants is in an area that actually stayed on EST year-round (it no longer does, but you know, tradition). Well, about a year ago, we entered a market that only uses prevailing time (meaning they change with DST like everyone else in the time zone). Recently (and with very little notice), our operations groups made the decision to change every underlying system to prevailing time as well, so that when communicating with the market and with the plants, everyone is talking about the same time. This is, on the whole, probably a good thing. However, what actually happened is that they didn't change it on every system. They changed it on a system that feeds a database that can only be on EST due to the way it was designed to always have 24 hours each day. It's an Oracle form program that is not being updated, and we've been trying to get rid of for about two years. (I should also note that they made the DST change about five hours too late yesterday, which made it even a bit more confusing.) However, we currently rely on this middle database for a current and oft-updated database to be in EST, but because the feeder server changed, the middle database (which, again, expects there to always be 24 hours) was now getting data in DST when it shouldn't have been. So the argument was that X hour over here is Y hour over there, and I had to actually write out all 24 hours and their values to show that what we were missing was data for hour 24, and not that we lost hour 3 (or actually hour 8, like they screwed up).

As such, I had to actually argue--repeatedly--that there should be 24 hours on yesterday in EST, when only 23 hours were showing. Later in the morning we found out that we basically can't change the feeder system back to EST, so we're stuck with a database (the middle DB) that was in EST for 15 years now having data that does change starting yesterday.

So now we're going to go back and fix the few hours that should be DST and then just hard code in the cutoff time to do the DST conversion as of yesterday. In a database that was never intended to support anything other than EST. We're going to be converting it back to EST in our final DB. Because here's the thing: Store stuff in Standard Time (or better yet, UTC) and change your displays to use DST if you need it. Not the other way around. It's a good thing this happened now for Spring Ahead time, because Fall Back time would really screw up the database with that weird 25th hour... Luckily we already have a transition plan in place to use a different middle DB.

Anyway, TLDR, Daylight Saving Time can go straight to Hell.

This discussion has been closed.