As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come post pictures of your [Gunpla] & other scale models in this thread

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Mars/Earth relationships are sci-fi shorthand for colonialism and its effects.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Now that you mention it, space is very convenient for that kind of theme, you get to have all of the popular colonial rebellion themes with none of the unpopular indigenous genocide. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Unless there's aliens I guess, or it's not the first colony on mars but a secondary colonization that came in and took the place from a preexisting human population from a previous colonization or something. That's an interesting idea.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Now that you mention it, space is very convenient for that kind of theme, you get to have all of the popular colonial rebellion themes with none of the unpopular indigenous genocide. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Unless there's aliens I guess, or it's not the first colony on mars but a secondary colonization that came in and took the place from a preexisting human population from a previous colonization or something. That's an interesting idea.

Of course. We want to tell the story of the downtrodden Colonials Belters and ignore the unpleasant things that we not go "tut tut" when other nations do them.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I stumbled across this earlier, and I can’t not share it.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

ZOE was pretty good about this being that the racism was primarily because most Martins have way softer bones than humans from Earth, therefore they became an easy scapegoat for society at large.

Unfortunately due to Metatron poisoning, the Martin solution was, "kill the entire solar system."

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

ZOE was pretty good about this being that the racism was primarily because most Martins have way softer bones than humans from Earth, therefore they became an easy scapegoat for society at large.

Unfortunately due to Metatron poisoning, the Martin solution was, "kill the entire solar system."

I mean

technically that's just Nohman's solution

Not necessarily all of the Mars independence movement.

...Actually wait is there any indication in Z.O.E.2 that there's like... anyone left in BAHRAM aside from Nohman, Ken and the scientist guy, maybe a couple extra pilots and like more automated Raptor OFs than you can shake a metatron rod at?

EDIT: Speaking of ZOE and kits, I forget what is the deal about the HD Kit from Kotobukiya?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Yeah, Bahram is still a sizable force in ZOE 2. There's the fleet of battlships, the big mobile armor thinger Zacat, and various personal to staff their bases.

How many of those people knew Noman's real plan to more or less destroy the solar system is probably a big ol' 0 though.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Actually Radam knew, the test pilot of Idolo.

Did they ever release models of that ZOE 3 prototype game?

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

I mean

technically that's just Nohman's solution

Not necessarily all of the Mars independence movement.

...Actually wait is there any indication in Z.O.E.2 that there's like... anyone left in BAHRAM aside from Nohman, Ken and the scientist guy, maybe a couple extra pilots and like more automated Raptor OFs than you can shake a metatron rod at?

EDIT: Speaking of ZOE and kits, I forget what is the deal about the HD Kit from Kotobukiya?

I have that Kotobukiya kit! Is gud. Ya gotta do the panel lining for all the green energy tho!

The HD edition recolours things so the blue is brighter and the gold is an orange instead. It includes the enemy radar ring, and a bunch of missile blade things too, as well as blue fire effects for the engines.

Its overall a better kit than the basic version, but if you're not painting and you wanted to get Anubis too, the colours won't match between them.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    I amazed at the marvelous engineering/mechanics in a Gunpla model. Just how many bits and bobs allow you to move it in many different poses.

My very first HG is continuing nicely; I’ve got the torso, head, 2 arms and a leg finished; only another leg and the hips to go.

I’ll keep the panel lining for later; I’ll be happy when my current Gunpla is finished. Possibly tomorrow :biggrin:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    FYI there are two julieta graze's, I made the one that is more space mode with what I think of as bendy chain swords and love ittttt. The other one does not look as cool to me. But they are very similar at just a glance.

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    FYI there are two julieta graze's, I made the one that is more space mode with what I think of as bendy chain swords and love ittttt. The other one does not look as cool to me. But they are very similar at just a glance.

There’s the Julietta’s Reginlaze and the Reginlaze Julia

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Images of both to point out the differences?

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Respectively,
    v0g5msiu3vdm.png
    eiurp8uagyzd.png

EidolonOrpheus on
  • Options
    Hello yes one (1) Reginlaze Julia please.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Plus: A P-Bandai release Reginlaze Julia Land-Use type, with feet made to work for the Martian surface and actual hands (plus swords) instead of the claw hands.

1000001416_8.jpg
    1000001416_10.jpg

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    oh right and the machine gun shield

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    The regular RJ has the hands and feet. The only thing new in the P-bandai version is the sword and shield.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    HG Sinanju Stein!

That looks to have so many stickers.

• Options
    From personal experience the Sleeves marking stickers are way better than you'd think. Haven't had trouble with them on any of the kits I've built.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Where do you guys go to get your Gundam news and release info? I used to follow ZakuAurelius, but I don't really like his presentation style. I still follow Second Soundwave (Channel 2S), but he's been inconsistent with his videos lately.

Heffling on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i don't really follow video creators, i generally just look up details on gundam kits collection

though there are enough japanese modelers in my twitter and instagram algorithm that i usually catch wind of new kits there first

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I just follow the official Gundam/Gunpla twitters

• Options
    I don't use Twitter or Facebook because I'm a luddite.
    Also because I could see the downsides to using social media 20 years ago. E.G. information selling, targeted advertising having Fahrenheit 451 effects, etc.

• Options
    So what's the deal with Zakus?

The only Gundam I've actually watched is the new Build Divers onlinevidyagame anime.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Kay wrote: »

The only Gundam I've actually watched is the new Build Divers onlinevidyagame anime.

They're the standard mass-produced mobile suit for Zeon (the bad guys) during the beginning of the original series. Because of how many there were in service, it was economical to develop upgrade packages to try and keep them relevant even as newer, better suits were beginning to be deployed. As a result, many survived the One Year War and would continue to see use for years afterward. They show up in at least a minor role in most of the UC era shows, as well as Turn A, which is kind of a rebuilding-after-the-apocalypse possible future for that timeline. They are to Gundam what the Stormtroopers were to Star Wars.

late, pointless edit: just touching up the phrasing a bit.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    And now we know! Thanks!

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

They're the basic mass-produced standard unit for Zeon (the bad guys) in the beginning of the original series. Because of how many there were, it was economical to produce upgrade packages to try and keep them relevant even as newer designs were beginning to be produced, and many survived the One Year War to continue to see use for years afterward. They show up in at least a minor role in many of the UC era shows, and in Turn A, which is kind of a rebuilding-after-the-apocalypse possible future for the timeline. They are to Gundam what the Stormtroopers were to Star Wars.

Also in keeping to the analogy of Zeon being Nazi Germany, the Zaku II was the superior tank that was completely unstoppable at the start of the war. The Federations (Allies) only had Balls to rely on. So the Zeon had the only mobile suit design, which was faster, better armored, could mount heavier guns, and had better range.

The Gundam was a tech test bed project in which Zeon managed to destroy four of the five prototypes while in transport. The Guntank was another test bed for the upper portion of a mobile suit onto an existing mobile base. The Federation's first mass produced suit was the GM, and much like the Allies in WW2, it was still inferior to the Zaku II at it's time of release.

There is a very quick technological growth for weapons of war in the Zeon/Federation war just as there was with WWII, with top of the line suits being antiquated within a months or a year of release and antiquated equipment (Zaku II and GM) continuing use until the end of the war simply due to a need for any combat units and how many were produced.

• Options
    First Gunpla finished!

Hello ladies...
    sltan9fa2eg7.jpg

More pics:
    I must've worn out the "trigger-hand" when trying to pose it with the bazooka; it really doesn't fit well with that huge weapon and forces the hand a bit:
    napkw1frokqx.jpg

I tried to replicate him in New Gundam Breaker; I didn't find the correct soldiers, or legs (which contain the skirt with the yellow-V-on-red crotch):
    h7f7sg7bbnbt.jpg

Notes about this set:
    - Nice and fun set (especially as my first set)
    - After trying for half an hour to get the yellow sticker to get to stick on the V on the crotch plate, I decided "Fuck it! I'll buy yellow paint and paint it".
    - The ankle hubcaps feel like the loosest parts
    - There was no green sticker for the Bullpup Machineguun camera
    - The bazooka is a bit clunky to mount on this model, as the arm (and especially the wrist) isn't flexible enough

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    if you'd like, you can put a thin coat of acrylic nail polish or superglue on the ball joints to tighten them up

looks good tho!!

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    It's also a 2010 kit. The Origins line, from what I've read, has vastly improved on details like appropriate stickers for lenses and better part separation.

• Options
    if you'd like, you can put a thin coat of acrylic nail polish or superglue on the ball joints to tighten them up

looks good tho!!
    Many thanks! :biggrin:
    The ball joints are OK, it’s just that the grey hubcaps on the ankles might need a small drop of glue.
    It's also a 2010 kit. The Origins line, from what I've read, has vastly improved on details like appropriate stickers for lenses and better part separation.
    I have the Origins Ground GM and the GM/GM lying in front of me, so I will really notice the difference :smile:

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I'd recommend plastic cement instead of glue for fusing pieces. Tamiya extra thin is probably most widely used. Just a touch on a seam and the capillary action takes care of the rest.

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    I'd recommend plastic cement instead of glue for fusing pieces. Tamiya extra thin is probably most widely used. Just a touch on a seam and the capillary action takes care of the rest.

He doesn't want to fuse the ankle guards, he just wants the joint to be tighter. My go-to for this is clear nail polish, as it's harder and more adhesive than superglue.

• Options
    Nail Polish is my recommendation as well for thickening a connection so the piece won't wobble to hell* and back

*Tall fiber carpeting, under furniture, etc.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Most newer kits put a forward and back movable handle on bazooka type weapons to make them easier to get posed properly.

Most...

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

They're the basic mass-produced standard unit for Zeon (the bad guys) in the beginning of the original series. Because of how many there were, it was economical to produce upgrade packages to try and keep them relevant even as newer designs were beginning to be produced, and many survived the One Year War to continue to see use for years afterward. They show up in at least a minor role in many of the UC era shows, and in Turn A, which is kind of a rebuilding-after-the-apocalypse possible future for the timeline. They are to Gundam what the Stormtroopers were to Star Wars.

Also in keeping to the analogy of Zeon being Nazi Germany, the Zaku II was the superior tank that was completely unstoppable at the start of the war. The Federations (Allies) only had Balls to rely on. So the Zeon had the only mobile suit design, which was faster, better armored, could mount heavier guns, and had better range.

The Gundam was a tech test bed project in which Zeon managed to destroy four of the five prototypes while in transport. The Guntank was another test bed for the upper portion of a mobile suit onto an existing mobile base. The Federation's first mass produced suit was the GM, and much like the Allies in WW2, it was still inferior to the Zaku II at it's time of release.

There is a very quick technological growth for weapons of war in the Zeon/Federation war just as there was with WWII, with top of the line suits being antiquated within a months or a year of release and antiquated equipment (Zaku II and GM) continuing use until the end of the war simply due to a need for any combat units and how many were produced.

Just to be clear here, When Heffling is saying "The Federation relied on Balls", we're not talking "Testicular fortitude" or whatever, but actual ball shaped mechs that mounted guns. Imagine the space pod from 2001: A Space Odyssey, then mount a good sized artillery rifle on top and you're on the right track.

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/RB-79_Ball

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

Just to be clear here, When Heffling is saying "The Federation relied on Balls", we're not talking "Testicular fortitude" or whatever, but actual ball shaped mechs that mounted guns. Imagine the space pod from 2001: A Space Odyssey, then mount a good sized artillery rifle on top and you're on the right track.

Yes, they took their orbital construction units and added the largest gun they could mount. It's the equivalent of mounting a small naval gun on a car, and worked as well as could be expected.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

Wait they did? I thought the Ball was fielded at the same time as the GM?

of course, they've sort of retconned this now with Origin, with the Federation having the Guntank Early type about the same time as Zeon Deikun's death/possible assassination:

71w13lP-xwL._SL1500_.jpg

and the Guncannon First Type, fielded during the attempted defection of Dr. Minovsky

hg-guncannon-first-type-iron-cavalry-gundam-the-origin-00.jpg

waNkm4k.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.