As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fumbling with [Blades In The Dark]

Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny JackieRegistered User regular
Blades In The Dark is Dishonoured meets Thief meets Mistborn meets all those other influences I don't know about because they're for nerds the RPG.

In it the players take on the roles of scoundrels within the city of DuskVol. A city in the Imperium and one of the few places left in the shattered isles that isn't a ghost filled hell hole.

Duskvol is still a regular hell hole though. Filled with low lifes, cultists and politicians all vying for status, wealth and the downfall of their enemies. This play by post is intended to be a relatively loose, casual affair to get to grips with the rules. In general while I'm up for teaching the rules and I'm sure others in the thread can help you owning the book will be of vast help.

For now though I'm going to leave you with the quick start's hand out of the situation in Crow's Nest, the shitty district you live in, and a brief description of the crews and character archetypes you can play. While you each get your own character sheet you'll need to agree on the crew archetype you want to be:

CREWS

Assassins: You shank people, usually for money, often for fun. Kidnapping, ransom and accidents are you other hobbies.

Breakers: Mercenaries, thugs and less discreet murderers for hire. You collect loans, extort stores, engage in lucrative but noisy Smash and Grabs and take part in gang wars for pleasure.

Cult: Honestly gonna veto these guys. The setting is semi lovecraft style with old gods in addition to more traditional spirits and demons and this gang engages in that. I don't think they're a great choice for the first time exploring the setting.

Hawkers: Pimps, pushers and profiteers. Hawkers acquire what you need and have it for a price just low enough you can afford it if you sell your house. They secure the means of production, socialize with the bored and wealthy and punish those who step into their profit margins with brutal reprisals.

Smugglers: Also don't seem a great first time fit seeing as they're focused on vehicles and stuff that don't lend themselves to Crow's Nest's starting situation overly well. Veto.

Shadows: Cat thieves, spies and saboteurs. If you aren't seen doing it and it isn't straight up murder odds are you hire a shadow. I'd be super down for this as the crew archetype as it seems the most generic of the available ones.

Scoundrels

Cutter: You cut things. At the very least you threaten to cut things. Big, brutal and violent is the name of the game. Great fighters who are there for when Plan A fails and armed well enough for Plans B through E. Plan F is that one time Chael put a Bluecoat's head through the tavern privy.

Leech: Lets get a little crazy, weird alchemy, gadgets, sabotage and generally being described as the crazy one are all in the Leech's wheel house.

Lurk: The thief, great at getting in and out of places, has better thieving tools than everyone else and can be extra sneaky.

Slide: The Ponce, the smooth talker, Romeo in trousers so tailored they've gone past flatteringly tight. The Slide convinces, lies and spies his way to fortune.

Spider: The mastermind, good at planning and holding the crew together and supporting them outside of Scores. Probably the de facto boss or at least second in command.

Whisper: You talk to ghosts, you perform profane rituals and are sometimes drunk enough to believe binding a demon to you is a good idea.

As for the kinda happy neighborhood you're getting into lets meet the Neighbors:

gfhw1maqd786.png

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I feel like I am getting a pretty-accurate Lankhmar / Thieves' World vibe off this setting; does that hold up?

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Refer to 'other influences for nerds because I have not heard of them' for my ability to accurately answer that.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I'll be down to try this. Just let me get the book off of DriveThru.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Oh it totally does have Thieves' World vibes.

Essentially any low-magic fantasy centering around scoundrels and cutthroats should make this sound familiar.

I've been wanting to try Blades for forever, so I've got an interest. I'm willing to fill whatever position in the crew, so feel free to pick up what you want, other potentials

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I'll take Matev's word for it since he's a cool dude.

At me if you guys inexplicably have trouble meeting the gang quota, as I don't have the book. Otherwise I'll just watch your misadventures.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm in!

• Options
    In terms of numbers I'm probably up for five max. Though I'd be up for having the crew be a rotating group if we have more than that.

Feel free to discuss roles and junk.

• Options
    @Auralynx Play Cutter, take your ignorance of the setting as IC thickness.

Also make up for the last time you were given something tanky to control :rotate:

• Options
    So for the crew, we are all playing as members of the the same crew, but are different Scoundrels in that crew?

• Options
    Yes, you all have your own sheet for your character and then as a group share a crew sheet to represent the gang you have around you.

• Options
    I still contend that was more than partially on the random number generator and false assumptions!

I'd be way more interested in Whisper or Leech, though, if you guys are drafting me into a life of crime.

• Options
    That was a beautiful experiment that I'd like to go back to one day.

And yes, a life of crime for everyone.

• Options
    I'm thinking Slide.

• Options
    Yeah, I was thinking Lurk or Whisper.

As far as crew, with the story, seems like Assassins, Breakers, and Shadows work easy to push us into the setting, as everyone seems to be wanting hired muscle to fight this bloody war. Hawkers seems out of place, but it might be cool Game of Thrones style political playthrough than the others that are more D&D murderhobo-y.

• Options
    ... I really like the Cult option so I can rant about starry wisdom and eyeless faces and the neverending spiral of despair at the heart of creation, but I have issues.

Breakers sounds like by far the most fun for the thud-and-blunder of it, though.

• Options
    Hawkers is basically Breaking Bad. Yeah, you're making and selling drugs, but the parts the gameplay are going to focus on are the big moments: stealing a bunch of supplies to cook, recruiting groups and businesses to sell for you, and, of course, eliminating your rivals.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    And, pertinent to the start of this set up, doing favours for people you need to make space.

EDIT: Similar to Fragged Empire and Command Confusion I highly encourage all questions because they help me realise what you're focusing on and what's causing issues.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    I suppose if no one else steps into it, I'll play the Spider.

As for our crew make up, I'm down for Breakers or Hawkers, the situation definitely seems like it leans a bit more towards Breakers though, I will note.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    That's just the situation in Crow's Nest. No reason it can't change after a little bit of getting our feet wet.

• Options
    To be blunt before I head to bed my personal vote for the crews being discussed would be shadows, Hawkers then Breakers in that order.

• Options
    Looking at the choices we seem to want to make role-wise I think Hawkers makes a pretty good amount of sense, actually.

• Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Heya, I'd be keen if there's still room!

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Well that's five so we're full up now.

I think we should do the crew sheet first then characters but anyone with the book is free to blast through character creation if they like.

EDIT: I'm not entirely sure on the etiquette of posting large chunks of the rules book. I think to make creation *not* suck for people without the book I'll post the faction, crew and playbook pages. They're more or less hand outs anyway.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    Just realised I forgot the Hound as a scoundrel type. Super quick summary: shoot guns, track people/objects, can have animal companion.

• Options
    Tentative roster:

GG as Whisper
    Me as Leech
    admanb as Slide
    Matev as Spider
    Amigu as ???

Pending renegotiation.

Hawkers is looking pretty good.

I'll check out the book for this tonight, probably!

• Options
    Crew is missing muscle/sneak/a threat that doesn't depend on alchemy or the occult (which are flashy but hardly topple whole gangs).

Course you can just put your points in skirmish/prowl/hunt and take veteran skills from cutter/lurk/hound to compensate instead. Even if you'd lack certain items.

• Options
    Crew is missing muscle/sneak/a threat that doesn't depend on alchemy or the occult (which are flashy but hardly topple whole gangs).

Course you can just put your points in skirmish/prowl/hunt and take veteran skills from cutter/lurk/hound to compensate instead. Even if you'd lack certain items.

Mention was already made of Breaking Bad, but I'm just spitballing up there.

• Options
    The best bit about this being on a forum is that I can actually GM the group separated. Which makes for a real boon in a game about keeping plans together.

The worst bit is the waiting.

• Options
    I note, for the record / pulp fantasy snob purposes, that Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser are the second source cited in the touchstones section.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Watching this with interest

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Morlan "Flywheel" Slane
    Leech
    Looks: Stout Man, in Shirt, Suspenders, Leathers and Work Boots

Special Ability - Artificer (When you Tinker with a device, tool, vehicle, or weapon, you may include advanced alchemical or clockwork features)
    Heritage - Akoros (Maintenance Technician) +1 Survey
    Background - Labor (Would-be Union Organizer) +1 Skirmish
    2 others: +1 Study, +1 Finesse
    Friend: Stazia, Apothecary
    Rival: Eckerd, Corpse Thief
    Vice: Weird (Strange automatons, parts from Mickey the Junker)

Insight
    Study 1, Survey 1, Tinker 2

Prowess
    Finesse 1, Skirmish 1, Wreck 1

Resolve
    Nope.

Morlan Slane is a former electro-train mechanic now believed dead in a freak accident involving erratic discharges from a turbine he was working on. In truth, Morlan faked his death because he was certain that the Railroad was planning to have him killed due to his efforts as a union organizer. This may have been an overreaction, and stiffing the grave-robber who provided the fake body was definitely not the best plan, but Morlan is sure it was worth it. Unfortunately, it's hard to find a job when everyone thinks you're dead, but his skill with mechanics and alchemy has found a new market in the underworld.

I figure that's enough of a sketch to get rolling with.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    "Professor" Tarvis Wordsworth
    Spider (+2 Consort, +1 Study)

Foresight (3x per score, assist another rogue without being stressed)

Akoros - Imperial Blood (+1 Command)
    Background - Disgraced Academic (+1 Study)
    2 others: +1 Sway, + Skirmish

Insight: 1
    -Study: 2

Prowess: 1
    -Skirmish: 1

Resolve: 3
    -Command: 1
    -Consort: 2
    -Sway: 1

Close Friend: Jeren, a bluecoat archivist
    Rival: Augus, a Master Architect

Vice: Pleasure (Spiregarden Theater, Maestro Helleren)

Looks: Man, Suit and Vest, Soft Boots, Threadbare Tatters

Tarvis was the 2nd child of a Baron of no great import. As he was not to inherit the estate, he was sent to the prestigious Imperial University to become a man of learning and bring honor to his family through schooling. Tarvis, while possessed of a cunning mind, had a tongue sharp as any dagger and a temper the match of an enraged bull. He made these traits serve him in the halls of academia, until he was finally drummed out before receiving his final honors, having marred a senator's son in a duel during final recitations. His family forced to disown him, Tarvis drifted on the winds, making due as a tutor and occasional accountant. His travels brought him to Duskvol, where he finally slipped between the cracks. Here he learned that even criminals appreciated intellect, that his knack for thinking on his feet and his honeyed words would be very useful to those with the coin to harness it. Tarvis works now to make his own shadowy dominion in the city. If he cannot be a lord of the empire, he'll just have to settle for being an underlord, won't he?

Is everyone all right with us being Hawkers, or do we want to go a different direction?

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    If possible can we format character bios to:

1) Show all skills trained and what attribute

2) What the ability does

3) spaces for harm and clocks.

4) All your friends.

To make the thread as readable as possible.

Also Auralynx you need to specify where you're getting the parts for your weird vice of building automatons, not that you have a thing for weird automatons.

@Grunt's Ghosts @Amigu @admanb you guys need any help piecing together character sheets?

• Options
    Is "anywhere I can find them, legal or not?" applicable?

• Options
    Not hugely, the main idea is to give another name to bounce off RP wise and let you get cut off and so on.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Phin Booker - The Slide
    Heritage: Akoros - The Streets
    Background: Underworld - Begger
    Vice: Luxury - Dunridge & Sons, fine fabrics and tailoring

Rook's Gambit - Take 2 stress to roll your best action rating while performing a different action. Say how you adapt your skill to this use.

Skills

Insight
    1 - Survey

Prowess
    1 - Skirmish
    2 - Prowl

Resolve
    1 - Consort
    2 - Sway

Friend: Nyryx, a prostitute
    Enemy: Bryl, a drug dealer

Harm

Clocks

No one looking at Phin Booker would guess his background growing up on the streets, stealing and begging for any food and cash he could scavenge, fighting and fleeing to keep his place and life where neither could be taken for granted. They wouldn't see the friendships he formed and betrayed, the gangs he joined and fought, or the drugs he sunk into when things were going badly -- or especially well.

They won't see all that because he won't let them. Because he spends the first hours of every morning putting on the face, putting on the clothes, and putting on the personality of a man who didn't grow up in any of that -- someone who grew up with money, with servants, and with class. He escaped that world, but he'll never feel truly free. He'll always feel like he's one misstep from being driven back onto the streets. Naked, cold, and hungry.

admanb on
  • Options
    Sorry, I've been working 7 days a week for 8 hours and yesterday I got home and crashed hard. I'm playing with some ideas for a Whisper or Lurk and I'll try to get a concept down on here sometime today, hopefully before I go see Rogue One. If not today, I'll have something solid tomorrow.

• Options
    It's fine, Christmas is busy for everyone.

• Options
    So... these friends and enemies on our sheets, do they have a real background stuff or do we just make them up.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Some of them are real and concrete (see Baszo Baz on the Slide sheet, he's the leader of the lamp jacks).

Most of them are there to help you give context to your character (who do you get on with and why? Who did you fall out with and why were you friends in the first place?) And help define what actions give you bonus die in downtime (if you do it with anyone on your contact list, even the one who you're not buddies with any more you get an extra dice).

They also give me people to kill, have betray you or whatever when needed too.

Albino Bunny on