As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the old pokemon thread :(

• Options
    VahraanVahraan Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    Not gonna lie, I stared at that poster for a solid 20 minutes last night just getting hype as all hell. Mostly for Lillie. I have got a soft spot for that girl, and I want the best for her, and I want her to kick butt.

Lillie is such a good person, I want her to thrive and succeed and be the very best.

PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Not gonna lie, I stared at that poster for a solid 20 minutes last night just getting hype as all hell. Mostly for Lillie. I have got a soft spot for that girl, and I want the best for her, and I want her to kick butt.

Should I recognize the figures at the top of the poster whose faces are obscured by the blackhole/storm clouds? Are they from the cartoon?

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    They are new.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I didn't care for Lilly. She felt like way too much of an achetype for me. The perpetually lost, perpetually helpless, perpetually in need of saving girl. I thought she was an incredibly poorly written character.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    They are new.

Rumor is that they're former Galactic members, possibly the Admins, who were brought on by Aether to investigate into alternate dimensions. Makes sense, since that map artwork has what really looks like the Distortion World portal above an island.

• Options
    If there was just one improvement I could ask for in Ultra Sun/Moon, I would like them to include the full national dex for tracking purposes into the game. It's annoying that only 300 or so Pokemon actually get registered in your dex. Everything else is there, but it isn't registered.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I didn't care for Lilly. She felt like way too much of an achetype for me. The perpetually lost, perpetually helpless, perpetually in need of saving girl. I thought she was an incredibly poorly written character.

Pokemon games don't have brilliant writing by any means, but I felt that Lillie was a genuine step up in writing and theme. You're free to not like her, but I feel that saying she's perpetually helpless etc. characterizes her in the worst way, because it isn't really true at any point in the story. She thinks shes helpless (thanks, Mom), and says shes helpless, but even from the beginning she is taking action. She kicks off the story by saving somebody else, and spends much of the story completely out of her element but still charging on ahead because she knows its the right thing to do, even though she is probably terrified. Over time she gains a sense of self-worth, and learns to assert herself, culminating in her not only rejecting but confronting her abusive mother.

Feel free to ignore me because you're allowed to not like a character, of course, I just really enjoyed Lillie, and am glad that she is back, and hopefully it's better than N's return in B2W2.
    If there was just one improvement I could ask for in Ultra Sun/Moon, I would like them to include the full national dex for tracking purposes into the game. It's annoying that only 300 or so Pokemon actually get registered in your dex. Everything else is there, but it isn't registered.

Unfortunately, I think this is unlikely. The Pokedex has such a staggering amount of Pokemon that it is intimidating for younger/new players, so I think they are going to reasonably keep it at regional dex levels. Pokemon Bank was updated with a National Dex, though.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Yeah, Lilly is the Wally of SuMo.

But giving her a critter would have ruined the theme of Pokémon discardability her family got involved because I doubt she would have the means to confront them.

She had to grow a different way.

Sadly, that involved a very anime/manga archetypical plot couldn't please everyone. The older audience in particular.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    I guess what I mean to say is that on her own she felt helpless. You were there to help her every step of the way. When she rescues Nebby and is fleeing the Aether Foundation goons, you're there to stop them at the bridge.

When she is getting bullied by Team Skull, you are there to defend her.

Even her eventual confrontation with her mother was really only facilitated because you were there. To me, she was shown to be incapable of success on her own, and at every turn, she relied on you as the MC to back her up or give her the will/courage/strength to get it done. And in some cases, your direct action or intervention was required. Her story was a story of good intentions and no follow-through.

The MC was the follow-through. So I felt she was a bad character because her 100% reliance on you for everything. She didn't really grow up or get more assertive. She just got an alpha to take care of her.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    But dude, the power of friendship.

I wasn't that happy with the story myself.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I suspect that she seemed stifled as a character because I believe that any character progression for her was planned to encompass the story across both sun/moon and the sequels. But I don't think that they wanted her to be a trainer until the sequel, and a consequence of this is that she was pretty helpless on her own until essentially the final moments of the first game.

She does progress in the first game though. She spends the whole game trying to find the person that she wants to be rather than being entirely a product of her mother's decisions.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Other rumors based on the picture of her holding a Pokeball show Lillie possibly fighting back, since the latest trailer made a point of highlighting an Alolan Vulpix, which she has in the show. So ideally it joins her and she joins you in a double battle against her asshole mom in Ultra.

Hell, have Solgaleo/Lunala join her team after you deal with Necrozma, and then have her use the full-grown Nebby against her mom.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    VahraanVahraan Registered User regular
    I cranked through the game, so it felt plausible that she was just doing the best she could over between 1 and 3 months. You don't go from running away from your crazy mom to badass trainer in a summer, unless you're a main character. And
    Once she figures out who she is, and asserts herself, she bounces to go explore on her own. Whether we get a sequel with that part or not, it's a satisfying ending.

PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I guess the first hat starts today? Or was that yesterday? Ends on Monday.

PLA on
  • Options
    QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I guess the first hat starts today? Or was that yesterday? Ends on Monday.

First hat?

QuantumShaddow on
    3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    The special pikachu is wearing one of Ash's hats, and which one its wearing is based on when you collect it. Right now you can get one with Ash's first hat. Also its moveset is based on the hat as well, so later ones have stuff like Iron Tail or Volt Tackle or Electro Ball.

Having trouble with the BBCode, here's the link - https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Japanese_region_serial_code_event_Pokémon_distributions_in_Generation_VII#Original_Cap

YggiDee on
  • Options
    YggiDee wrote: »
    The special pikachu is wearing one of Ash's hats, and which one its wearing is based on when you collect it. Right now you can get one with Ash's first hat. Also its moveset is based on the hat as well, so later ones have stuff like Iron Tail or Volt Tackle or Electro Ball.

Having trouble with the BBCode, here's the link - https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Japanese_region_serial_code_event_Pokémon_distributions_in_Generation_VII#Original_Cap

Ahhhh didn’t know about that! Is it only Japan?

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    It's out in America right now.
    Just need to input the code: PIKACHU20 in the mystery gift. But remember you can only choose one type of hat Pikapi.
    For this week until Monday is Kanto/Johto hat Pikachu next week will be Honen Hat Pikachu and so on.

I am stockpiling extra hatchus in my spare game to trade with fellow PA peeps if anyone is interested.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Hmm. That's really cool. I'll probably hold out for the Kalos cap. I think it's probably my favorite Ash-hat design. Plus it's a good moveset on Pika.

Do we know what the stat spread is like on these? Is it static? Is it randomized?

I've reviewed all the move-sets on that Bulbapedia link and every single option contains a mix of Physical and Special. Is Ash's Pikachu evenly split for Physical/Special in terms of stat distribution? Is it better to get a moveset with physical lightning attacks or special lightning attacks?

• Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    Pikachu has a slightly higher Physical Attack than Special Attack, and the ones from this event all have a neutral nature. There's someone in Sun/Moon who offers to teach your Pikachu Volt Tackle, so I think the biggest factor is whether or not you want Iron Tail in there.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Hoenn Hat best Hat.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I still wonder why Ultra Sun/Moon weren't called Solar Eclipse and Lunar Eclipse respectively, especially since it'd be perfect for the takeover story they're telling.

• Options
    Opty wrote: »
    I still wonder why Ultra Sun/Moon weren't called Solar Eclipse and Lunar Eclipse respectively, especially since it'd be perfect for the takeover story they're telling.

It seems that, in the Japanese version, the Necrozma forms have secondary names along those lines. Necrozma + Solgaleo is "Solar Eclipse Necrozma" and Necrozma + Lunaala is "Lunar Eclipse Necrozma", as well as the weird Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings stuff.

As for the game name... the marketing team probably didn't want a name like SOLAR ECLIPSE, which is a lot harder for kids to read / pronounce / remember / write on their Christmas Lists than ULTRA SUN. Plus, Ultra is fun to say in Japanese. Plus, Ultra is still relevant because of Ultra Beasts.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Opty wrote: »

It seems that, in the Japanese version, the Necrozma forms have secondary names along those lines. Necrozma + Solgaleo is "Solar Eclipse Necrozma" and Necrozma + Lunaala is "Lunar Eclipse Necrozma", as well as the weird Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings stuff.

As for the game name... the marketing team probably didn't want a name like SOLAR ECLIPSE, which is a lot harder for kids to read / pronounce / remember / write on their Christmas Lists than ULTRA SUN. Plus, Ultra is fun to say in Japanese. Plus, Ultra is still relevant because of Ultra Beasts.

9EBGuVJ.jpg?1

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    It's simple. It's because in Sun/Moon we have Ultra Beasts, Ultra Wormholes, and the Ultra Dimension.

Ultra fits thematically.

• Options
    Someone mod every Fighting type Gym Leader/Elite 4 to be All Might.

• Options
    If anyone wanted to know the Pika movesets, here they are (courtesy of Bulbapedia)plz2eb3ila7h.jpeg

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    It's simple. It's because in Sun/Moon we have Ultra Beasts, Ultra Wormholes, and the Ultra Dimension.

Ultra fits thematically.

ultra evolution inc

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Guess I'll get Hoenn or Sinnoh. That move-tutor doesn't reject picapchus or anything, right?

• Options
    Mega Melee battles are starting.

I, uh, forgot to make a team. And I will be pretty busy this weekend. Let's see what I can scrounge up.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    You guys.

I'm gonna be doing so much half-piping on my Mantine. (Quarter-pipe?)

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I hate that the international pokemon logo is stuck in the 90's whereas the Japanese logo is more sleek and modern.

Logos aside I am up to 8 Kanto/Johto Pikahats. Again if anyone wants one send me a PM.
    grinding for them is a pain!

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Gold and Silver on VC today too remember :)

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I'm going to need two 3DS's to make the time capsule work, aren't I ... glad I still have my 2DS. Guess I can setup buy Gold on it, and use that as an intermediary to trade between Yellow and Silver.

I'm a bit saddened there's not nearly as much news buzz over the Gold and Silver virtual console release.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I finally buckled down and finished my second playthrough of Sun. All I wanted was to get back to IV checking in the box. After half an hour of un-skippable cutscenes, credits, and other stuff... I am totally burned out.

I hope Ultra SuMo is kool, but I probably will skip it. I think the next mainline game I'll play will be on Switch.

Is Ultra going to play nice with regular SuMo, like for WonderTrade and stuff?

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »
    I'm going to need two 3DS's to make the time capsule work, aren't I ... glad I still have my 2DS. Guess I can setup buy Gold on it, and use that as an intermediary to trade between Yellow and Silver.

I'm a bit saddened there's not nearly as much news buzz over the Gold and Silver virtual console release.

On the contrary, I've seen a lot more than I would have expected, heh.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    I have broken out into cold symptoms, but I am still happy. In between naps, it's 1999 again, except my screen is backlit this time.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    The anime had a Kanto-episode?

• Options
    The anime had a Kanto-episode?

Ash heads back, fights Brock and Misty (using Megas), panders to nostalgia.

I'm still catching up but I am pleasantly surprised at how good the Sun Moon anime is thus far. Last night I watched an episode that was all about Pokemon Baseball, complete with ridiculous pitching "Z Moves" and Snorlax being Snorlax. It feels more like a goofy cartoon than a bad 90s anime, if that makes sense.