As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the old pokemon thread :(

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I still buy Pokemon physical carts. They hold value.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Oh my god I need that Silvally

What's that item I need to breed for IVs? Destiny Knot?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Oh my god I need that Silvally

What's that item I need to breed for IVs? Destiny Knot?

Aye, Destiny Knot. Makes things a whole lot easier.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    They're really going to make me drive three hours to gamestop again not even two weeks after i already did it.

Come on.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Just like everything else with Nintendo's approach to the digital age, they're living in the past.

Nobody goes to brick and mortar stores anymore. They either buy their games digitally, or on Amazon with release-day delivery.

The whole "codes will draw them into the stores to drive preorders" is an outdated and completely archaic way of doing things. Plus... nobody goes to Gamestop specifically anymore. That's why they're closing stores, and had to completely reinvigorate their business model by becoming the storefront for thinkgeek.com. If you go to a Gamestop, they don't even have much shelf-space dedicated to video games anymore. It's all just merch.

I'm honestly a little surprised Nintendo keeps giving them these distribution contracts. Even if Nintendo wants to keep people going to a physical place to get a physical distribution, Gamestop seems like the wrong place to do that.

Nobody goes to brick and mortar stores, except all the people that went to a brick and mortar store to get Marshadow? :P

Like, this got me out to Gamestop which then reminded me I wanted a Switch, so the strategy can still do work. Also helps that I had an A+ experience with the local Gamestop staff, they offered multiple Marshadow codes and recommended I plan out my Switch purchase--ie games and peripherals--before buying, rather than trying to push a sale.

And, like I said, they still do more internet giveaways than they do physical ones.

Also, Nintendo has commitments and partnerships.

Gamestop helps them distribute their hardware and prevents Amazon.com becoming too overbearing.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    They're really going to make me drive three hours to gamestop again not even two weeks after i already did it.

Come on.

I'd be willing to ask for a few more Silvally codes when the time comes. The one ten minutes from me seems pretty low-traffic.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular

Come on.

I'd be willing to ask for a few more Silvally codes when the time comes. The one ten minutes from me seems pretty low-traffic.

Same here!

3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    skeldare wrote: »
    I want to get all of these cool distribution Pokemon but I just wish they weren't GameStop codes.

Need more Internet distributions.

Iunno, they already do a lot of internet distributions. I saw like twenty or so on Serebii that I missed because I bought X/Y late.

They're much better about it now, but a lot of the stuff listed on Serebii is "Buy X Product, Get a Code" type stuff. Except for the anniversary Mythical Pokemon Year, which was just a bonanza and completely atypical. Also, serebii sometimes posts things from Japan/Europe etc., so you have to look pretty close. My point is, there aren't a ton of internet distributions. It's better, but it's not great.

Thankfully, my Gamestop is close to a pretty good pizza+pints joint, so I don't mind heading there for lunch on a weekend. My problem was when I walked into Target and literally couldn't find an employee who knew what I was talking about re: the Charizard distribution that I knew I had a problem.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    I restarted Pokémon Gold today. Needed to do so to get all 3 starters onto Silver. Early in the game, you run into your rival with a Pokémon stolen from the Elm lab. Once back at the lab, since you ran into the thief, a police officer asks you for his name. Never realized it before, but he tells you what his name is...
    56uyc0dw95e1.png
    So that's what I told the nice officer.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »
    I restarted Pokémon Gold today. Needed to do so to get all 3 starters onto Silver. Early in the game, you run into your rival with a Pokémon stolen from the Elm lab. Once back at the lab, since you ran into the thief, a police officer asks you for his name. Never realized it before, but he tells you what his name is...
    56uyc0dw95e1.png

That's what I did the first time I played Silver, back when it first came out. I didn't realize I was naming the Rival, I thought it was a memory minigame.

Do Pokemon transferred from Gold/Silver to the Bank get their Hidden Ability?

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Is the Charizard distribution still going at Target stores?

QuantumShaddow on

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Terrendos wrote: »
    56uyc0dw95e1.png

That's what I did the first time I played Silver, back when it first came out. I didn't realize I was naming the Rival, I thought it was a memory minigame.

I just read about kids mistakenly thinking that last night. I just thought it was funny, especially since I couldn't think of a name I wanted him to use.

Transferred Pokemon do get their HA, provided the species has one. They also get 3 random perfect IV's, a special brick gameboy marking, a catch record of from Kanto/Johto "in the good old days", and an easily-controlled nature, determined by the last two digits of the Pokémon's EXP.

The latest update for Bank & Transporter also fixed shininess to match the way GSC handles it; their formula was slightly off before then.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I will also ask for extras of Sivally btw.

• Options
    56uyc0dw95e1.png

I just read about kids mistakenly thinking that last night. I just thought it was funny, especially since I couldn't think of a name I wanted him to use.

Transferred Pokemon do get their HA, provided the species has one. They also get 3 random perfect IV's, a special brick gameboy marking, a catch record of from Kanto/Johto "in the good old days", and an easily-controlled nature, determined by the last two digits of the Pokémon's EXP.

The latest update for Bank & Transporter also fixed shininess to match the way GSC handles it; their formula was slightly off before then.

Huh, might be worth buying one of them just for the HA breeding stock then.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    56uyc0dw95e1.png

Yeah, tempting.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    akjak wrote: »
    56uyc0dw95e1.png

Yeah, tempting.
    I find RBY and GSC loads of fun.

If you can stand the grayscale/greenscale graphics, get Red or Blue. All the Kanto starters are available with their HA in X&Y, so you don't need them, and glitching for any Pokemon not in your version is far more accessible than in Yellow.

If you actually want to play it as a game, Yellow offers SuperGameboy color, somewhat improved levelup movesets and learnsets, getting all 3 Kanto starters in the same playthrough, a fighting Pokemon available before Brock, and the Pikachu surfing diversion.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    Yeah, it's a bit tougher for me to justify since I still have my GS carts (I've replaced the batteries so they still work) and a GBA so I can already replay them whenever.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's a bit tougher for me to justify since I still have my GS carts (I've replaced the batteries so they still work) and a GBA so I can already replay them whenever.

But you can't transfer the Gameboy games to current gens. :(
    Big selling point for me right there.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Oh Wonder trade you'll never stop making me laugh.

Level 10 Pikachu (Shiny)
    Cherish ball

Moves
    Happy hour
    Surf
    Fly
    Celebrate

OT - "StayCool"

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Question: for those who have claimed the anniversary Pikachu, are yours’ stats as terrible as mine keep looking (not the nature because I know they’re all locked on Hardy)?

QuantumShaddow on

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    It's good to see that Ultra sun and moon won't just be a "Here's the exact same game as S/M With a twenty minute bonus chapter tacked on" like ORAS Was.

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    56uyc0dw95e1.png

Maybe this metagame aspect adds longevity to the games, but I always found it incredibly creepy the way some players focus on the Breeding mechanics. Though it obviously works since you pretty much have to turn the games into math homework if you want to play online or one of the higher levels in Battle Tower or whatever without getting am amateur prostate exam from your opponents.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    It's good to see that Ultra sun and moon won't just be a "Here's the exact same game as S/M With a twenty minute bonus chapter tacked on" like ORAS Was.

ORAS was a remake of a 12 year old game. Entirely different scenario.

Old game, remade in a new game engine. Of course it's going to be the same story. That was the point.

• Options
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    56uyc0dw95e1.png

Maybe this metagame aspect adds longevity to the games, but I always found it incredibly creepy the way some players focus on the Breeding mechanics. Though it obviously works since you pretty much have to turn the games into math homework if you want to play online or one of the higher levels in Battle Tower or whatever without getting am amateur prostate exam from your opponents.

I mean yeah, if you think about them like real animals it's pretty dark. But personally I like the ability to create a custom team with cool synergies and combos. It's the same reason I used to play Magic the Gathering.

Even aside from that, however, Hidden Abilities are difficult to get and thus highly sought after, so they make excellent bargaining for rare Pokemon. I'm still missing a dozen or so legend and mythic Pokemon, so if I ever want a complete Pokedex I'll need to trade for them at some point. Like Landorus. Nobody ever wants to trade away a Landorus.

• Options
    Obslxf7.png
    If anyone needs Pikachus in other silly hats let me know! I have all the ones released so far and currently grinding Kalos Pikahats.

• Options
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Obslxf7.png
    If anyone needs Pikachus in other silly hats let me know! I have all the ones released so far and currently grinding Kalos Pikahats.

I have the Kanto hat and am grinding my Kalos one too, but would love the others if possible!

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Obslxf7.png

I have the Kanto hat and am grinding my Kalos one too, but would love the others if possible!

Yup! Just send me PM with ones you want so we can setup a time to come online.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
  • Options
    Yeah, and it's a shame. I really wish they had used the full-blown GBC or SGB featureset on their VC emulator.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »

ORAS was a remake of a 12 year old game. Entirely different scenario.

Old game, remade in a new game engine. Of course it's going to be the same story. That was the point.

This is a fair assessment i can see where i was mistaken.

I still have 4 extra marshadow codes if anyone still needs one.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I honestly ignore stats because I've got bottle caps,
    56uyc0dw95e1.png

I hear this a lot and, as someone who breeds a lot, it really isn't true and it is sad that people let it get to them. Movesets + Knowing the Game is absolutely the most important factor, followed by Nature + EV Training (low-level commitments) and Speed Tiers. I've read many a VGC/Battle Tower report where people mention that they didn't have a Pokemon with perfect IVs/Nature/Moveset but still made it work because they knew the game and knew how to compensate. Having perfect Attack/Defense IVs really just tilts the table slightly in your favor.

And even if you want the perfect IVs, most people who breed Pokemon are more than happy to share the fruits of their labor with aspiring players, and 3 Guaranteed Legendary IVs + Bottle Caps mean that good IVs are reasonably attainable on any Pokemon.

Basically, people see IVs as the first step towards being a competitive player, when in reality they should be the final consideration in making sure your team is ready for Worlds-level competition.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    56uyc0dw95e1.png

Movesets + Knowing the Game is absolutely the most important factor, followed by Nature + EV Training (low-level commitments) and Speed Tiers.

...and that is why I'll never be a competitive Pokemon player. I just don't have the brain space or time to devote to knowing the meta inside and out. I can't be arsed to know every move of every pokemon in my opponent's battle box, and chess-move what he's likely to pick vs my battle box, and then try to guess right in the rock-paper-scissors matchup that is your leading pokemon.

Whenever I have tried to have a decent (not even going for good) pokemon team, I end up just guessing my moves wrong and getting OHKO'd every single turn. Beyond type strengths and weaknesses, I'm just rubbish.

I'm happy to breed competitive pokemon, and give 'em away or send 'em into wonder trade, but the actual PvP battles don't interest me at all.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    56uyc0dw95e1.png

I hear this a lot and, as someone who breeds a lot, it really isn't true and it is sad that people let it get to them. Movesets + Knowing the Game is absolutely the most important factor, followed by Nature + EV Training (low-level commitments) and Speed Tiers. I've read many a VGC/Battle Tower report where people mention that they didn't have a Pokemon with perfect IVs/Nature/Moveset but still made it work because they knew the game and knew how to compensate. Having perfect Attack/Defense IVs really just tilts the table slightly in your favor.

And even if you want the perfect IVs, most people who breed Pokemon are more than happy to share the fruits of their labor with aspiring players, and 3 Guaranteed Legendary IVs + Bottle Caps mean that good IVs are reasonably attainable on any Pokemon.

Basically, people see IVs as the first step towards being a competitive player, when in reality they should be the final consideration in making sure your team is ready for Worlds-level competition.

You're kinda missing the point though. It forces you to turn the game into just its mechanics, and I know thats enjoyable to a lot of players, but not to me. I like being able to just catch and train the Pokemon I like, not turn the game into a creepy eugenics program, but it makes it impossible to play some of the post-game stuff. Then again, you COULD argue that this makes the game a lot deeper than the glorified Rock, Paper, Scissors it might be if there was no way to make a Pokemon better than it's basic stats.

Regardless, it's just not an enjoyable way to play the game for me.

• Options
    56uyc0dw95e1.png

You're kinda missing the point though. It forces you to turn the game into just its mechanics, and I know thats enjoyable to a lot of players, but not to me. I like being able to just catch and train the Pokemon I like, not turn the game into a creepy eugenics program, but it makes it impossible to play some of the post-game stuff. Then again, you COULD argue that this makes the game a lot deeper than the glorified Rock, Paper, Scissors it might be if there was no way to make a Pokemon better than it's basic stats.

Regardless, it's just not an enjoyable way to play the game for me.

You don't need to do any real breeding to do "endgame" stuff. The team I used in the Battle Tree wasn't remotely optimized and two of the Pokemon were from my story team. The battles definitely get easier if you worry about natures and IVs but EVs alone will get you pretty far, and you can max those out in the Pelago.

You can also try the free play online battles, it's a lot less competitive. But yes, if you don't put any thought into team balance or metagame or strategy then you will get crushed by the people who do.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Honestly the breeding and training wore on me a lot. Granted my first project was nightmarishly trying to get a near perfect salazzle so it was more difficult than it probably needed to be. However I still have the same physical (real life) issue I've had before. I can't stand the 3ds or other handhelds it's just physically uncomfortable. I'm hoping the switch gets a mainline game, but I dunno if I'm in a position to just pick up a new console for that and maybe pokken. I don't know how legitimate the other options are.

That was more of a downer than I had anticipated going in.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Hey, the VC GB/GBC games can be played with a GB/GBC border!!!
    and GB games can be turned pea-soup Green!!!!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I only recently got into breeding, but I love it.

I think it's a lot of fun, trying to make a perfect specimen of a given species.

• Options
    Hey, the VC GB/GBC games can be played with a GB/GBC border!!!
    and GB games can be turned pea-soup Green!!!!

If you're playing in the original resolution, with the Gameboy or GBC border, try turning 3D on :)

• Options
    Now if only I can change the GBC boarder to Teal...

Also I wish Pokemon Red and Blue had GBC Palettes.