I'm looking to print a large image file to make a wall-sized poster (6 - 8ft tall, 8.5ft - 11.3ft wide).
The file sizes I'm looking at are (PNGs):
- 17000px by 12000px / 42mb
- 33000px by 22000px / 137mb
- 64000px by 42000px / 400mb
They're all of the same thing (world maps) at different zoom levels for different levels of detail, but I only need one of them printed.
My only experience with printing large things is with Rasterbator, buut I'm not having much luck with these file sizes, even with the standalone version. Either uploading or processing fails.
I've got a pretty standard printer at home, and I'm not opposed to more professional services if it won't cost an arm and a leg.
My questions are:
1. What applications can I use to try to get some printable files? I've tried exporting / printing using Rasterbator, Paint, Paint.NET, GIMP, and even Word with no luck. Crashes, errors, unresponsive, etc. I can open it up in GIMP and manually split the image up in the smaller images myself, but I was hoping for something a little less time-consuming / error prone.
2. What image dimensions / printing resolutions (I dunno what it's called) should I be looking at for decent quality at the physical dimensions I'm looking at? http://auctionrepair.com/pixels.html
has me thinking using the medium sized image at 300DPI, which will supposedly get me the 6ft height I'm looking for.
3. Do I have options for printing aside from my home printer? Google searches mostly brought up crazy expensive custom poster printing or banners for events. Maybe I'm just searching for the wrong thing, though.