As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Titanic: The New Evidence [Chat]

RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
edited January 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
So I've just watched a documentary called Titanic: The New Evidence, and I'm taking issue with some of its claims and assertions.

So I'm gonna skip over the whole story, you can watch it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs9w5bgtJC8

A lesser known facet of the story is that there was a Coal Bunker fire up against one of the bulkheads, which burned up until the day before the sinking. This has been known since the days of the inquiries, and not given much weight compared to the iceberg. This documentary uses newly discovered photographs and newspaper interviews to suggest the bunker fire started earlier (anything up to three weeks before she left Belfast, never mind Southampton), spread further and burned hotter than previously thought. Combined with metallurgical analysis and computer simulation, this suggests the fire warped and weakened the bulkhead, resulting in the bulkhead giving way and contributing to the sinking.

What do I think of this overall thesis? Seems plausible. It's one of those things we'll probably never know, but we can't rule it out, and it's interesting to explore. That's not what I take umbrage with. Even setting aside what felt like manipulative editing strategies, the documentary made some claims that I have not been able to see even reported elsewhere, and I wanted to look into it.

1. Why so fast?

The question of why Titanic was going so fast was apparently a mystery according to the show, and is explained by the bunker fire. The only real solution to a coal fire is to burn the coal ironically. Shovel it out of the bunker and into the furnace it was supposed to burn. By forcing more coal than planned into the boiler, this generates more steam and the ship goes faster. And because Titanic left port during a miners strike, coal was expensive and she only took enough to make it to New York. Slowing down with warnings of ice and then having to speed up again increases coal consumption and invites running out of fuel in the Mid-Atlantic.

Could the bunker fire have caused the high speeds? Much like the main assertion I don't dispute this. I do question why the documentary doesn't address the oft-repeated story that there was a desire to reach New York faster than Titanic's sister Olympic did on her maiden voyage, even if only to debunk it. As for slowing down due to ice warnings, this was something examined during the two inquiries, and testimony from across the shipping industry is that it was only standard practice to slow down in the visual presence of ice. Undoubtedly reckless, but humans have done stupid things until something catastrophic happened quite a lot.

2. The killing stroke

1100px-Titanic_side_plan_annotated_English.png

The green lines represent the approximate areas of damage caused by the iceberg. They indicate that the first five watertight comparements were open to the sea, as well as limited exposure to a sixth compartment. The documentary made the claim that had Bulkhead E, the bulkhead the bunker fire happened around, not failed, the Titanic's designer estimated she may have stayed afloat indefinitely, or long enough for rescue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU5mOT57ghM

When I heard that claim I had to verify it, and I couldn't. Every report I could find says that Thomas Andrews, the ship's designer and architect, examined the damage and concluded that because the flooding in the first five compartments was beyond control, the ship was doomed. She could only stay afloat if four of the first five compartments were flooding. And he had a pretty good eyeball of the time needed, estimating Titanic would sink in 1.5-2 hours, which Titanic actually outpaced. Now if the bulkhead failure didn't contribute to the sinking could she have stayed afloat longer? Maybe, but the claim that he estimated the first five compartments flooding could keep her afloat long enough seems to come from nowhere.

3. Not enough boats

This is a minor one, but the documentary claims the company's confidence in Titanic's unsinkability is the primary reason not enough boats were aboard for all. This is an error more of scale than outright scope, because it ignores the Board of Trade regulations that ahad absurdly outdated minimum lifeboat requirements, it also ignores how sinkings were imagined before Titanic. Lifeboats were meant to ferry people to waiting rescue ships rather than save people by themselves. The use case of needing to be in a lifeboat without access to a ship was not considered, to terrible consequence.

4. "New" theory

And finally, the documentary says the theory of the bunker fire contributing to the sinking is new, which nope. I've known about it for years, and perfunctory googling shows news articles from 2004 and 2008 reporting on the "new" theory.

Summation

I don't take issue with putting forth the theory that a bulkhead failure contributed to and accelerated the sinking. It makes sense and there is metallurgical evidence. But the tone of the documentary makes it seem like it would have gone down completely differently if the bunker fire didn't happen, and I don't see that being the case.

If anyone wants to cross examine my claims and show anything I've missed, go ahead. I'd just like to ask the documentary team where some of their claims come from.

RMS Oceanic on

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    bought the latest issues of Muzzleloader, American Frontiersman, and the Backwoodsman when wife went to get a new calendar from Books-A-Million.

Good articles.

Muzzleloaders are The Best.

I just had the "I'm about to drop $300 to get a hawken flintlock up and running" conversation with my wife who forgot that we had this conversation a month ago and gave me the side eye over the cost and I was all "2017 woman fuck the budget new year new mistakes!"

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    So. This is 2017.

Couldn't be worse than 2016, could it?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote:
    i finally saw rogue one

it was really good!

also it was a movie george lucas would be entirely incapable of making

You mean, like with The Empire Strikes Back?

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Have we finally determined that there was room on that door for both of em? :O

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    good morni-

good afternoon

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So. This is 2017.

Couldn't be worse than 2016, could it?

Challenge accepted.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Bro morning and an @Gooey new year to you gooby

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    not sure if I'm terribly impressed with someone boarding a plane wearing a fleece that is covered in pet fur.

like, take some masking tape to that thing after you leave the house, dawg.

• Options
    The stiffness in my neck is now a stabbing pain on the inside of my shoulder blade. 2017 delivers!

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I have trouble believing they actually found real evidence of the Titanic existing.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    bought the latest issues of Muzzleloader, American Frontiersman, and the Backwoodsman when wife went to get a new calendar from Books-A-Million.

Good articles.

I just had the "I'm about to drop $300 to get a hawken flintlock up and running" conversation with my wife who forgot that we had this conversation a month ago and gave me the side eye over the cost and I was all "2017 woman fuck the budget new year new mistakes!"

Hawken Flintlock?

That's a very nice name. I am a little mad I didn't come up with it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Gooey wrote:
    i finally saw rogue one

it was really good!

Directed by Irvin Kershner
    Written by Leigh Brackett (screenplay), Lawrence Kasdan (screenplay), and George Lucas (story)
    Executive Producer George Lucas

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

Good articles.

Hawken Flintlock?

That's a very nice name. I am a little mad I didn't come up with it.

Das Uber Hawken Flintlock, where's that TPS report?

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    I have trouble believing they actually found real evidence of the Titanic existing.

It's all faked to drive up movie sales. Just like the Berlin Wall and Illinois.

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »

I was looking forward to that thread for nearly a year.

• Options
    So, the last [chat] was my first [chat] as [chathost]. Please take this short survey to help me improve my next [chat] when Geth selects me again in 2022:

- On a scale of 1 to 10, how cromulent did you find "Run the [Chat] 3"?
    - On a scale of 1 to 10, did you feel the topic of "Run the [Chat] 3" was perceptibly incongruent to your preferred [chatting] proclivities?
    - Please leave any other feedback (300 character max).

Thank you!

• Options
    Houn wrote: »
    So, the last [chat] was my first [chat] as [chathost]. Please take this short survey to help me improve my next [chat] when Geth selects me again in 2022:

- On a scale of 1 to 10, did you feel the topic of "Run the [Chat] 3" was perceptibly incongruent to your preferred [chatting] proclivities?

Thank you!

Ok.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Thank you!

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Thank you!

Ok.

88, huh?

*grabs nazi bapping stick*

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    FWgiSEi.jpg

The Kinesis Phase kind of looks like it's been crashed

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Thank you!
    Please unsubscribe me from your mailing list and all future e-mail correspondence from this vendor.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    milski wrote: »

Thank you!

Ok.

88, huh?

*grabs nazi bapping stick*

Ach, I haff been found out!

*makes Hydra salute*

Heil Hydra!

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    *throws holy water on 21st*

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Oh man, I liked that beggar you dick bandits.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I don't have enough vacation to really swing pax yet. And my travel budget got hatcheted. So sad :(

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Happy 2017 you louts

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

Thank you!

* clicks things at random until survey window is dismissed *

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Thank you!
    Please unsubscribe me from your mailing list and all future e-mail correspondence from this vendor.

Thank you for subscribing to [Chat] Facts!

• Options
    And so my ranting about a documentary is complete. I now await somebody pointing something obvious out that fatally undermines what I'm saying.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    O fuuuuuuuuu

Alt-F4ed out of Rimworld on a permadeath save without thinking

Turns out there's a background autosave so i only lost like 6 minutes of progress, thankfully

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Opposite the senators sat the first witnesses, White Star's managing director J. Bruce Ismay and other company officials. Ismay was also president of the International Mercantile Marine Company, White Star's American parent company. He was vilified in the press as a monster, as one who had put his own life and safety before that of women and children as the lifeboats were launched.

Throughout the hearings, he remained confident, almost hubristic, regarding the ship's stamina under pressure. In explaining how Titanic's disaster could have been averted, he stated simply, "If this ship had hit the iceberg stern on, in all human probability she would have been here to-day [the stern being the most reinforced part of the ship]."

Instead, he said, the iceberg made "a glancing blow between the end of the forecastle and the captain's bridge." He remained sentimental regarding the ship's demise. In the lifeboat, he rowed the opposite direction of the sinking Titanic: "I did not wish to see her go down. . . . I am glad I did not."

Ismay said the trip was a voluntary one for him, "to see how [the ship] works, and with the idea of seeing how we could improve on her for the next ship which we are building." He told the subcommittee, "We have nothing to conceal, nothing to hide." He was grilled again on the 10th day of the investigation, when he denied reports of speeding up the ship to "get through" fields of ice; other eyewitnesses, however, would contradict him.

A final decree, signed by Judge Julius M. Mayer in July 1916, held the company guiltless of any privity and knowledge and not liable for any loss, damage, injury, destruction, or fatalities.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Opposite the senators sat the first witnesses, White Star's managing director J. Bruce Ismay and other company officials. Ismay was also president of the International Mercantile Marine Company, White Star's American parent company. He was vilified in the press as a monster, as one who had put his own life and safety before that of women and children as the lifeboats were launched.

Throughout the hearings, he remained confident, almost hubristic, regarding the ship's stamina under pressure. In explaining how Titanic's disaster could have been averted, he stated simply, "If this ship had hit the iceberg stern on, in all human probability she would have been here to-day [the stern being the most reinforced part of the ship]."

Instead, he said, the iceberg made "a glancing blow between the end of the forecastle and the captain's bridge." He remained sentimental regarding the ship's demise. In the lifeboat, he rowed the opposite direction of the sinking Titanic: "I did not wish to see her go down. . . . I am glad I did not."

Ismay said the trip was a voluntary one for him, "to see how [the ship] works, and with the idea of seeing how we could improve on her for the next ship which we are building." He told the subcommittee, "We have nothing to conceal, nothing to hide." He was grilled again on the 10th day of the investigation, when he denied reports of speeding up the ship to "get through" fields of ice; other eyewitnesses, however, would contradict him.

A final decree, signed by Judge Julius M. Mayer in July 1916, held the company guiltless of any privity and knowledge and not liable for any loss, damage, injury, destruction, or fatalities.

Much like Subprime Mortgages, bad ideas are only obviously bad when something bad happens

• Options
    Been a while since I flexed my Titanic knowledge muscles

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    As far as Star Wars movies go Rogue One was better than Episode II and maybe Episode I but not as good as Serenity

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    I always thought it would be cool to be the guy that shovels coal into the boilers.

Fireman, I think.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Gooey wrote:
    i finally saw rogue one

it was really good!

Directed by Irvin Kershner
    Written by Leigh Brackett (screenplay), Lawrence Kasdan (screenplay), and George Lucas (story)
    Executive Producer George Lucas

*nod nod*

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    TIL:

Alt-tabbing out of Crypt of the Necrodancer on my PC is a bad, BAD idea. Basically can induce an epileptic fit as the game tries switching band and forth between resolutions and other crap, and in essence locked down my PC until I remembered alt+f4 can force kill it.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
This discussion has been closed.