Burning smell?

PolaritiePolaritie SleepyRegistered User regular
I think the thread title gives sufficient impetus, but last night I noticed a slight burning smell while gaming.

I have been admittedly lax in dusting this computer (not TERRIBLE inside, owing to good filters, but the filters were in bad shape and it was due for a good cleaning).

I think, judging by where the smell seems to be coming from, that it's out of the graphics card (and it's not like I can see inside the thing with its fan and case and all). I'm reasonably sure it's not the PSU, on account of its fan not even running (not under enough load I guess? I may have ended up with overkill there, I'm not sure and I put this together like 3 years ago).

I'm not really sure how to diagnose what's wrong any further, but I would REALLY like to not replace a graphics card if I can help it.

Steam: Polaritie
3DS: 0473-8507-2652
Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
PSN: AbEntropy

Posts

  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Clean the whole thing out. Most likely you let dust accumulate and it caught on fire.

    What is this I don't even.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I'm hoping thats all it was. I went at it thoroughly with the air can, but theres still some smell. Not sure if it just needs time for the fans to clear the smell out or.something more serious is going on.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Addendum: FUCK.

    Thought I had it - spent 20 minutes figuring out how to get the cover off graphics card, blasted a couple dust bunnies out... and within 5 minutes of XIV the smell gets worse than ever.

    Shut down, open the side... and there's a fucking wisp of fucking smoke coming out of the PSU.

    Going to have to find time to unwire it and pop it out for a closer look, or find a flashlight or something I guess. I really, really do not want to fuss with the cable management or replace the PSU. (But at least it's not the GPU!).

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    You need to just replace that psu. A: it's a fire hazard. Any other component wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue but that box has mains voltage running through it and if it fucks up you can end up with more than just a little heat or smoke. B: it is the only part whose failure can cascade into other parts of your pc.

    ShadowfireKonphujundonavannjBahamutZEROwunderbarchr1sh4ll3ttb3
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Smoke coming from the psu means it's dead.

    Don't turn the computer on again. Not only could it fry other components in your PC, it could start a fire.

    Don't open up the psu it contains capacitors that could hurt you if you short them out with a screwdriver by accident.

    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    CorriganXShadowfireKonphujundonavannjBahamutZEROOrcawunderbarchr1sh4ll3ttb3
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Unplug the computer, and get that PSU out of your PC and out of your house asap. Its a hazard and will take the rest of your PC with it if you give it half a chance.

    that's it, I'm shutting this entire forum down, everyone thank buttcleft
    CorriganXKonphujunBahamutZEROchr1sh4ll3ttb3
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Yeah. It's completely disconnected, I just really do not want to bother with unhooking the cables tonight.

    Time to push the Amazon button for the replacement...

    ...and see just how my life this old laptop has left for gaming.

    Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Yeah. It's completely disconnected, I just really do not want to bother with unhooking the cables tonight.

    Time to push the Amazon button for the replacement...

    ...and see just how my life this old laptop has left for gaming.

    If it's modular, shouldn't you be able to leave the wires relatively untouched and just unplug them from the PSU itself (instead of having to rewire everything from scratch)? Of course, if it's not modular........yeah.

    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Not modular.

    The new one will be, but it was my first time building a computer.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Yeah. It's completely disconnected, I just really do not want to bother with unhooking the cables tonight.

    Time to push the Amazon button for the replacement...

    ...and see just how my life this old laptop has left for gaming.

    If it's modular, shouldn't you be able to leave the wires relatively untouched and just unplug them from the PSU itself (instead of having to rewire everything from scratch)? Of course, if it's not modular........yeah.

    In a situation like this, I wouldn't trust the old wiring anyway. Every PSU comes with its own cables, and if you're going to have to rewire anyway you may as well run fresh ones.

    Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
    CorriganXLD50jungleroomxShadowfiredonavannjchr1sh4ll3ttb3
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Konphujun wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Yeah. It's completely disconnected, I just really do not want to bother with unhooking the cables tonight.

    Time to push the Amazon button for the replacement...

    ...and see just how my life this old laptop has left for gaming.

    If it's modular, shouldn't you be able to leave the wires relatively untouched and just unplug them from the PSU itself (instead of having to rewire everything from scratch)? Of course, if it's not modular........yeah.

    In a situation like this, I wouldn't trust the old wiring anyway. Every PSU comes with its own cables, and if you're going to have to rewire anyway you may as well run fresh ones.

    Yeah, exactly.

    Throw out everything to do with that old PSU, you don't know if it farting itself up did any damage to the wires or insulation or connectors. better to junk it all.

    PSU is not where you want to be frugal, PSU is where you want to spend money when it comes to your PC. being frugal means your PC ends up dead in short order, then you have to buy a whole new PC instead of having to spent an extra 30-40 on a PSU.

    Buttcleft on
    that's it, I'm shutting this entire forum down, everyone thank buttcleft
    LD50ShadowfiredonavannjEliminationEdith Upwardschr1sh4ll3ttb3
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    4 months late and a dollar short, but I've found JonnyGuru's site of PSU reviews quite helpful for seeing what out there is good and unlikely to fry my shit: http://www.jonnyguru.com/index.php . I like the teardowns they do as part of the review, as well as the detailed scope shots of ripple. Only issue is that they tend to review the higher-end units, which may be an issue depending on your needs.

    Orca on
Sign In or Register to comment.