As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US and Russia] Talk about Trump connections to Russia here.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

Sounds like he's more interested to be digging into the traitorous leakers and the unconstitutionaity of eavesdropping on Flynn.

I am not impressed.

Or surprised!

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    It's not getting your constitutional rights infringed if the private thing that was exposed was illegal, right? Then it's just whistleblowing (although we all know how the GOP feels about whistleblowers).

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Sounds like he's more interested to be digging into the traitorous leakers and the unconstitutionaity of eavesdropping on Flynn.

I am not impressed.

Or surprised!

Yeah I don't like how the GOP seems to be taking the angle that the leaking was the problem not all the lying and dealing with an enemy of the US while someone else was president.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

I am not impressed.

Or surprised!

Yeah I don't like how the GOP seems to be taking the angle that the leaking was the problem not all the lying and dealing with an enemy of the US while someone else was president.

lying and dealing with an enemy of the US before your inauguration (or even before your election) is a time-honored tradition. He's bringing Reagan back, illegal back-channel talks with the Iranians and all.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    I don't know how this stuff is surprising to literally anyone

D&D has quoted a million times that there is 'no such thing as peak derp'.

To that end, there should be no limit to the level of surprising bullshit one might find collecting at the derp event horizon that is this administration; nearly infinite in scope that it is.

I mean like Trump bien gin bed with Russia was obvious like 8 months ago

I think that the difference now is that after these leaks it's getting harder and harder for people who don't want to believe this to stick their fingers in their ears and yell "lalala I can't hear you".

I have yet to see any evidence of such people having difficulties.

They still think this is just a bunch of liberal, alt-left, crybabies who are sad their Democratic candidate lost.
    The fake news thing has dug into them deep. There's not going to be any reaching Trump's ardent supporters. Putin and Trump could come out on stage together, live on TV, and both announce that they colluded with each other to destroy America as Trump steps down from office.

And his supporters would just say it was fake, or that he was forced to do it.

As it stands now, I already see some complaining that the only reason people think Trump is doing a bad job is because of Democrat obstructionism interfering with his ability to "do the job right".

So this Russia thing? Yeah, it should be a MASSIVE deal... it should have everyone in the government, regardless of D or R next to their name, scrambling to get shit in order because, holy fuck guys, we have actual foreign influence in the government as a very real possibility right now in a big way.

But instead? No, just fake news. Nothing to see here.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    It's actually kind of cute reading red state's take on this; They seem to be angry that the CIA has gone rogue due to "Obama Fellatistos" trying to shiv the executive branch with these leaks more so then the fact that the head of intelligence was compromised by america's geopolitical nemesis.

Which really brings up an interesting question about where the CIA's allegiance should be: To the Nation, The Federal government or the Presidency?

Because if it's to the first of those, then the leaks are justified for the purposes of protecting the US.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    It's actually kind of cute reading red state's take on this; They seem to be angry that the CIA has gone rogue due to "Obama Fellatistos" trying to shiv the executive branch with these leaks more so then the fact that the head of intelligence was compromised by america's geopolitical nemesis.

Which really brings up an interesting question about where the CIA's allegiance should be: To the Nation, The Federal government or the Presidency?

Because if it's to the first of those, then the leaks are justified for the purposes of protecting the US.

The directive that Obama signed on 2012 signals to me that their responsibility is foremost to the nation at large. Unfortunately this is also the most ambiguous answer.

It this were more sane times, the correct thing would be for the leakers to come forward and cite whistleblower protection, and hearings would be held. But if it's obvious that no hearings will be held regardless, that doesn't really give much impetus for the leakers to come forwad.

• Options
    Foreign and domestic. The cia should protect the people and the country even from itself or its executive.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Gaddez wrote: »

It's probably the first time you can read the CIA's "All enemies, foreign and domestic" motto and not think it intensely sinister.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

To that end, there should be no limit to the level of surprising bullshit one might find collecting at the derp event horizon that is this administration; nearly infinite in scope that it is.

I think that the difference now is that after these leaks it's getting harder and harder for people who don't want to believe this to stick their fingers in their ears and yell "lalala I can't hear you".

They still think this is just a bunch of liberal, alt-left, crybabies who are sad their Democratic candidate lost.
    The fake news thing has dug into them deep. There's not going to be any reaching Trump's ardent supporters. Putin and Trump could come out on stage together, live on TV, and both announce that they colluded with each other to destroy America as Trump steps down from office.

As it stands now, I already see some complaining that the only reason people think Trump is doing a bad job is because of Democrat obstructionism interfering with his ability to "do the job right".

So this Russia thing? Yeah, it should be a MASSIVE deal... it should have everyone in the government, regardless of D or R next to their name, scrambling to get shit in order because, holy fuck guys, we have actual foreign influence in the government as a very real possibility right now in a big way.

I disagree, obviously there will always be dead-enders who will go down with the ship.

But there are going to be some purple state Republicans who start to feel some pressure to act and pretty much everyone that isn't a Trump supporter now knows that the "fake news" bs is just a synonym for "news Trump dislikes".

I don't expect a tidal wave to come and sweep him away, but as things keep getting leaked the clear connection between Trump and Russia becomes harder to deny.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    wrong thread, oops

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Given that the huge majority of our Intelligence apparatus is composed of career operatives, not political appointees, I think the community overall is going to lean toward protecting the country at the expense of the Presidency.

I'm sure the constant stream of accusations thrown their way during and after the election hasn't helped, either.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

What a horrific idea. How can anyone look at Ukraine and determine the way forward is to urge Ukraine to escalate by supplying them with the offensive means to do so? They would certainly not prevail but I suppose the idea is to bleed Russia in Ukraine, a la Afghanistan. Which is very exciting when you don't consider what was left in the aftermath and the price civilian pay.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    McCain has been advocating for fighting a proxy war against Russia since the Georgia thing. Its one of several reason his foreign policy opinions seem dangerously insane.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure "arm the rebels" is how McCain's Tourets manifests.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Elki wrote: »

What a horrific idea. How can anyone look at Ukraine and determine the way forward is to urge Ukraine to escalate by supplying them with the offensive means to do so? They would certainly not prevail but I suppose the idea is to bleed Russia in Ukraine, a la Afghanistan. Which is very exciting when you don't consider what was left in the aftermath and the price civilian pay.

I agree with you, except I suppose he might be thinking that we can push Russia into backing off

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular

I disagree, obviously there will always be dead-enders who will go down with the ship.

But there are going to be some purple state Republicans who start to feel some pressure to act and pretty much everyone that isn't a Trump supporter now knows that the "fake news" bs is just a synonym for "news Trump dislikes".

I don't expect a tidal wave to come and sweep him away, but as things keep getting leaked the clear connection between Trump and Russia becomes harder to deny.

I think most of those purple Republicans have already started to sway just because of the Manure truck that is Trump. This Russia business may push a couple more over the edge sure, but I don't think it's going to have that big of an impact on the remainder of those who are still vocal Trump supporters.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

What few "rebels" there will be, if any really, will not make any practical difference what so ever. And none of them is gonna start defying the party line, at least not in any situation where party line hangs in balance (see: maverick optics).

There's never gonna be any "damning" evidence, Russia saw to that long ago, only circumstantials and that will be all the GOP needs to ignore the whole thing.
    The subjects can happily continue to repeat the "FAEK N00S!!" line until the end of days (oh, and they will), whenever that is. :wink:
    Dear Leader will continue sit atop the throne, and the nation is his to shape for the next 4-8 years:
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/02/14/upshot/trump-poised-to-transform-american-courts.html?rref=collection/sectioncollection/upshot
    Older Judges and Vacant Seats Give Trump Huge Power to Shape American Courts
    In the weeks since taking office, President Trump has derided court decisions as “ridiculous” and “disgraceful,” called the legitimacy of federal judges into question and encouraged people to blame the courts in the event of another terrorist attack.

But Mr. Trump could soon find himself responsible for appointing a greater share of federal court judges than any first-term president in 40 years, in large part because of a growing number of older judges and a stack of vacancies on the federal courts.

America simply got beat. :confused:

Panda4You on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah McCain just wants a war with Russia, the details seem irrelevant to him.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Let's keep things striaght here folks. Fylnn getting fired for lying to Pence and his calls about sanctions right before Trump inauguration isn't the real issue here.

the real issue is the indications from these leaks that Trump campaign officials may have had direct contact with Russian intelligence as far back as 2015 is the scary part.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Not to ignore the horrible content, but that last one is an explicit endorsement of a product by the President.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    On Maddow the last two nights they just kept showing Flynn in Moscow with Putin at the RT dinner. And I've got people online talking about how it so obviously disqualifying etc etc and they still have Jill Stein or Green Party avatars/pictures/whatever. Its so fucking annoying.

I think part of it is a psychological effect where they feel the need to be different/unique. Buying into the normal party structure is anathema to them.

• Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    Interesting article on how Flynn got caught:
    The way it's supposed to work is that any time a "U.S. person"— government speak for a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident, even a U.S. company, located here or abroad— finds his or her communications caught up in (Russian ambassador to the United States) Kislyak's, the entire surveillance empire, which was designed for speed and efficiency, and which, we now know, is hard to manage, grinds to a halt. That's a good thing. Even before Snowden, of course, the FBI would "minimize" the U.S. end of a conversation if analysts determined that the calls had no relevance to a legitimate intelligence gathering purpose. A late night call to order pizza would fall into this category.

But if the analyst listening to Kislyak's call hears someone identify himself as an agent of the U.S. government— "Hi! It's Mike Flynn" certainly qualifies— a number of things have to happen, according to the government's own rules

At this stage, the actual audio of the call and any transcript would be considered "Raw FISA-acquired information," and its distribution would be highly restricted. At the NSA, not more than 40 or so analysts or senior managers would be read into the classification sub-sub compartment that contains it, called RAGTIME-A,B,C D or P, where each letter stands for one of five different categories of foreign intelligence.

For anything out of the ordinary - and this qualifies, at the FBI, the head of the National Security Division would be notified, and he or she would bring the raw FISA transcript to FBI Director James Comey or his deputy. Then, the director and his deputy would determine whether to keep the part of the communication that contained Flynn's words. The NSA has its own procedures for determining whether to destroy or retain the U.S. half of an intercepted communication.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/sns-wp-deepstate-comment-b09503f0-f394-11e6-a9b0-ecee7ce475fc-20170215-story.html

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Interesting article on how Flynn got caught:
    The way it's supposed to work is that any time a "U.S. person"— government speak for a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident, even a U.S. company, located here or abroad— finds his or her communications caught up in (Russian ambassador to the United States) Kislyak's, the entire surveillance empire, which was designed for speed and efficiency, and which, we now know, is hard to manage, grinds to a halt. That's a good thing. Even before Snowden, of course, the FBI would "minimize" the U.S. end of a conversation if analysts determined that the calls had no relevance to a legitimate intelligence gathering purpose. A late night call to order pizza would fall into this category.

But if the analyst listening to Kislyak's call hears someone identify himself as an agent of the U.S. government— "Hi! It's Mike Flynn" certainly qualifies— a number of things have to happen, according to the government's own rules

At this stage, the actual audio of the call and any transcript would be considered "Raw FISA-acquired information," and its distribution would be highly restricted. At the NSA, not more than 40 or so analysts or senior managers would be read into the classification sub-sub compartment that contains it, called RAGTIME-A,B,C D or P, where each letter stands for one of five different categories of foreign intelligence.

For anything out of the ordinary - and this qualifies, at the FBI, the head of the National Security Division would be notified, and he or she would bring the raw FISA transcript to FBI Director James Comey or his deputy. Then, the director and his deputy would determine whether to keep the part of the communication that contained Flynn's words. The NSA has its own procedures for determining whether to destroy or retain the U.S. half of an intercepted communication.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/sns-wp-deepstate-comment-b09503f0-f394-11e6-a9b0-ecee7ce475fc-20170215-story.html

am I reading this correctly

comey would have known about all of this shit

and STILL decided "but her emails"

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    JoeUser was warned for this.
    Comey definitely knew, and is even possible he briefed members of Congress on it.

But they couldn't reveal this information.

Oh, also this

So It Goes on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Funny Comey didn't worry about this leaking out but "her emails" needed to be out there because otherwise it'd leak

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Funny Comey didn't worry about this leaking out but "her emails" needed to be out there because otherwise it'd leak
    It kind of makes sense to me?

I've always felt that Comey's garbage fire of a press conference was more him trying to say look, we know Hillary is terrible and we hate her and here are all the bad things she did, so believe us when we say that there's nothing here and we're not just covering stuff up.

From an investigative standpoint, leaks are not a big problem because there's nothing to investigate so nothing is risked.

Then some dildos make a fuss about the "new" emails and he goes oh shit, this might look really bad and fires a letter off to Congress to try and cover his butt (where the Rs immediately leak it).

Meanwhile, the Trump stuff actually is a serious investigation and could be messed up by too much info getting out.

Add partisanship, incompetence, and cowardice to taste and I think it fits.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    The most depressing thing about all of this - if it truly was Putin's strategy to get Trump elected - is the number of stupid things that had happen on our side for it to work.

Our FBI director would have insert himself into the election and intentionally ignore criminal information that implicated the other campaign. (I am still convinced he's compromised, otherwise this is a massive gamble)

Our Republican Reps and Senators would have to back away from it completely and choose party over everything else.

Our media would have to rabidly report on any Clinton slight or perceived conflict of interest while almost completely disregarding the Russian leak information.

And lastly our populace would have to buy into it all and not see Trump for the transparent disaster that he is.

It's amazing and sad that it worked at all.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2017/02/15/grassley-intelligence-leaks-just-scary-russian-influence/97953834/
    Grassley, a seven-term senator, also seemed to downplay allegations of Russian meddling in the 2016 campaign by noting past instances in which the U.S. has inserted itself into other countries’ elections.

“If you want some history from an 83-year-old person, I can tell you I remember reading about our own CIA trying to influence the Italian voters not to go communist,” Grassley told Iowa reporters. “We very much backed the Christian Democratic Party while the Russian communist party under Stalin was backing the communist party of Italy.”

Even as he called Russian involvement in the election “bothersome,” Grassley returned to the Italian comparison later in the call.

“Russian involvement in our elections ought to be very seriously considered, just like the French politicians are very nervous about the Russian involvement in their election,” he said. “But we don’t come to this table hands-free. I told you about the 1948 CIA involvement in the Italian elections where the communists were trying to take over the country and Russia was behind that and our CIA got involved. None of this stuff should be going on.”
    This is like saying we invaded Iraq so it is not that bad if another country invades us.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Roz wrote: »
    The most depressing thing about all of this - if it truly was Putin's strategy to get Trump elected - is the number of stupid things that had happen on our side for it to work.

Our FBI director would have insert himself into the election and intentionally ignore criminal information that implicated the other campaign. (I am still convinced he's compromised, otherwise this is a massive gamble)

Our Republican Reps and Senators would have to back away from it completely and choose party over everything else.

Our media would have to rabidly report on any Clinton slight or perceived conflict of interest while almost completely disregarding the Russian leak information.

And lastly our populace would have to buy into it all and not see Trump for the transparent disaster that he is.

It was likely an unmitigated success as far as their plan was concerned. Most likely, they were expecting the results to cast doubt and illegitimacy over Clinton's win, fuel the obstructionism even further, and completely grind the government to even more of a halt while tightening their grip over the right wing propaganda machine and malcontents. They're getting all that and more... except their pawns are so incompetent that they're proudly showing off the strings, so it's possibly backfiring a little.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    This is what happens when the saint's row crew parodies modern warfare, right

• Options

I want to believe Comey really takes his job seriously, but I can't get past the email thing.

Everything else seems to align with a legitmate concern for keeping this investigation quiet so its target doesn't get spooked. If he wanted to bury it, or tank it, he could have.

He is becoming an enigma to me.

• Options

I want to believe Comey really takes his job seriously, but I can't get past the email thing.

Everything else seems to align with a legitmate concern for keeping this investigation quiet so its target doesn't get spooked. If he wanted to bury it, or tank it, he could have.

He is becoming an enigma to me.

I think he's just legitimately shit at his job and kind of a moron.

A perfect case of failing upward in beauracracy.

• Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2017/02/15/grassley-intelligence-leaks-just-scary-russian-influence/97953834/
    Grassley, a seven-term senator, also seemed to downplay allegations of Russian meddling in the 2016 campaign by noting past instances in which the U.S. has inserted itself into other countries’ elections.

“If you want some history from an 83-year-old person, I can tell you I remember reading about our own CIA trying to influence the Italian voters not to go communist,” Grassley told Iowa reporters. “We very much backed the Christian Democratic Party while the Russian communist party under Stalin was backing the communist party of Italy.”

Even as he called Russian involvement in the election “bothersome,” Grassley returned to the Italian comparison later in the call.

“Russian involvement in our elections ought to be very seriously considered, just like the French politicians are very nervous about the Russian involvement in their election,” he said. “But we don’t come to this table hands-free. I told you about the 1948 CIA involvement in the Italian elections where the communists were trying to take over the country and Russia was behind that and our CIA got involved. None of this stuff should be going on.”
    This is like saying we invaded Iraq so it is not that bad if another country invades us.

This is right out of Drumpf's playbook. "Putin is a murderer." "Well, our country has killed people too."

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    whoops wrong thread

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Media: hey, donnie, we heard some bad shit about your posse and the Ruskies, take a look

Trump: brb I'mma go kill a snitch

the aristocrats!

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I'm still reeling from the amount of people I interact with on a daily basis who bought into the Make America Great Again (for heterosexual cis middle class WASP conservatives) pitch

And if Donald has to sell us all out to Putin's Russia to drain the swamp, they're seemingly OK with it

I don't understand

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    *snip*

This post has been sent to The ComeyHills Academy for Off-Topic Youths

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »

I think that putins goal was simply to sow discord in american politics. Those other things all happened and trump was elected, but that was just fortuitous for putin. He wanted trump elected? Probably.

But I doubt he saw any/all of those things coming togther. I doubt he though trump would win. But I bet he wanted some people to be angry at clinton. Wanted some people to see her as a criminal and illegitimate.

That trump became president was icing on the cake, but none of it needed to happen for Putin to try and have an influence on the election.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The Comey-Hillary affair is not terribly on-topic here.

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.