Options

[US and Russia] Talk about Trump connections to Russia here.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    James Clapper denied any FISA warrant for wiretapping or any wiretapping at all in Trump Tower to Chuck Todd

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/former-dni-james-clapper-i-can-deny-wiretap-trump-tower-n729261

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    James Clapper denied any FISA warrant for wiretapping or any wiretapping at all in Trump Tower to Chuck Todd

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/former-dni-james-clapper-i-can-deny-wiretap-trump-tower-n729261

Looks like he's denied the *specific target(s)* of the FISA order / wiretaps was Trump etc.

That's not to say Trump etc were not ensnared in wiretaps that were specifically targeted at *other people* (e.g. Russian actors).

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Special K wrote: »

Looks like he's denied the *specific target(s)* of the FISA order / wiretaps was Trump etc.

That's not to say Trump etc were not ensnared in wiretaps that were specifically targeted at *other people* (e.g. Russian actors).

Which, again, would be perfectly legal.

• Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular

You won't need a warrant for tapping Russians, they're not protected by the constitution.

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular

You won't need a warrant for tapping Russians, they're not protected by the constitution.

Even if they're talking to Americans?

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Even if they're talking to Americans?

Yes. Just as if you call a mob boss who is tapped they don't need a warrant. Though it's worth noting that we get warrants for a whole bunch of the stuff we do so talking to Americans would not be an issue even if it was necessary.

There are additional data protocols when dealing with Americans as well. If Americans get caught in a foreign call that was recorded and nothing in the call is significant it gets deleted.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular

Two things:

1. I think the appropriate constitutional rights (e.g. the right to due process etc) are not limited to US citizens. Non citizens in the US are also protected in basically the same manner.

2. The description "Russian actors" is not necessarily limited to Russian nationals!

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Warning: Newsmax.

http://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/776977/16
    I spoke with the President twice yesterday about the wiretap story. I haven’t seen him this pissed off in a long time. When I mentioned Obama “denials” about the wiretaps, he shot back: “This will be investigated, it will all come out. I will be proven right.”
    Normally it would go like this:
    Step 1: BS "investigation" that reveals no wrongdoing.
    Step 2: Claim something in the investigation showed Trump was totally right despite only vaguely resembling what Trump claimed.

However, it is Trump so it will probably go like this:
    Step 1: Say there will be an investigation.
    Step 2: Investigation doesn't really happen but claim he was vindicated anyway.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    The better Roger Stone tweet was the one where he admitted to have been working with Assange the whole time.

To be fair, we've known this since before the election since he tweeted about Podesta being hacked before wikileaks even released the emails.

And when you track that back through wikileaks' extensive ties to the Russian government, you get another huge red flag.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

I spoke with the President twice yesterday about the wiretap story. I haven’t seen him this pissed off in a long time. When I mentioned Obama “denials” about the wiretaps, he shot back: “This will be investigated, it will all come out. I will be proven right.”
    Step 2: Claim something in the investigation showed Trump was totally right despite only vaguely resembling what Trump claimed.

Or,

Step 1: Say there will be an investigation
    Step 2: Claim someone gave him false information
    Step 3: Never name or punish this person, and never mention it again

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Nah it'll go like the former. Trump is crazy but his crazy is usually based on something real. Like it or not most times he says something outrageous he's blasted for his base gets something down the line the can twist to say "see everyone said he was crazy but he was right all along"

In this case I believe what will come out is the following:

Trump tower had some stuff recorded either via a legit investigation or through monitoring ambassadors

Nothing absolutely damning was found in those recordings.

Trump will spin it as him being right.

I'm pretty positive this is how it'll go down.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Comey's getting in on the fun now too: Comey Asks Justice Dept. to Reject Trump’s Wiretapping Claim
    Mr. Comey made the request on Saturday after Mr. Trump leveled his allegation on Twitter. Mr. Comey has been working to get the Justice Department to knock down Mr. Trump’s claim because there is no evidence to support it and it insinuates that the F.B.I. broke the law, the officials said.

[...]Mr. Comey’s behind-the-scenes maneuvering is certain to invite contrasts to his actions last year, when he spoke publicly about the Hillary Clinton email case and disregarded Justice Department entreaties not to.

You don't say, NYT...

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/05/us/politics/trump-seeks-inquiry-into-allegations-that-obama-tapped-his-phones.html
    WASHINGTON — The F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, asked the Justice Department this weekend to publicly reject President Trump’s assertion that President Barack Obama ordered the tapping of Mr. Trump’s phones, senior American officials said on Sunday. Mr. Comey has argued that the highly charged claim is false and must be corrected, they said, but the department has not released any such statement.

Mr. Comey made the request on Saturday after Mr. Trump leveled his allegation on Twitter. Mr. Comey has been working to get the Justice Department to knock down Mr. Trump’s claim because there is no evidence to support it and it insinuates that the F.B.I. broke the law, the officials said.

[...]
    That would be extremely bizarre and would result in attempted purges.

I am not sure DOJ doing that could end well.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    No denial seems to be forthcoming from DOJ, and I'm not expecting one from whoever handles such matter for Sessions after he "recused" himself. But Comey, if the Attorney General can't speak about a topic for whatever reason, you can always just hold your own press conference.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Now now, you know that no matter what happens the fbi never unilaterally comments on investigations.

• Options
    I am serious, though. The president said the FBI broke the law, the attorney general can't talk about it since he recused himself but that's not really enough since it's still in the hands of his politically appointed subordinates, and they're not issuing any denials. What's left to do if they don't seems pretty clear.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    On open investigations

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    On open investigations

Dude if this shit is closed we better be hearing the conclusions in a press conference then.

Also if it's reopened at any point because apparently that's press release worthy too.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    The weird thing is that Trump seemed to acknowledge that it was legal when he mentioned a court "previously" turned the warrant down. So he knows a federal judge did agree to a wiretap warrant at some point. I just don't think he know what any of the process is.

If a federal judge allowed it, it is not illegal. Whether that decision can be contested is something the ACLU has been trying to debate for years without much success.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    On open investigations

Dude if this shit is closed we better be hearing the conclusions in a press conference then.

Also if it's reopened at any point because apparently that's press release worthy too.

Ah yes, I forgot about the reopening.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Along with concerns about the potential attacks on the bureau’s credibility, senior F.B.I. officials are said to be worried that the notion of a court-approved wiretap will raise the public’s expectations that the federal authorities have significant evidence implicating the Trump campaign in colluding with Russia’s efforts to disrupt the presidential election.

I haven't really considered that. I guess from the inside it might feel like a setup to a no-one-is-happy conclusion.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The FBI being concerned about perception all of a sudden is hilarious.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular

Two things:

1. I think the appropriate constitutional rights (e.g. the right to due process etc) are not limited to US citizens. Non citizens in the US are also protected in basically the same manner.

2. The description "Russian actors" is not necessarily limited to Russian nationals!

But, we know, based on what happened to Flynn, this is not how the government is operating. The NSA and FBI were collecting phone conversations and text messages to the Russian ambassador to the US. A limed number of people (Comey being one) would have access to the full conversation. If they wanted the full conversation included in the investigation, not just the Russian half, they would then apply for a warrant.

Flynn was not a target of the surveillance, the Russian ambassador was. I would not be surprised if some of Trumps conversation were recorded in a similar fashion.

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

Mr. Schindler is a former NSA staffer. Says the IC has significant chatter regarding collusion with the Trump Campaign.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Yes but couldn't chatter between Russians be fake chatter to fake collusion? You need a Trump smoking gun here. Otherwise all we get is 40% of the U.S. Convinced our president is in the tank for Russia, 30% who don't care and 60% who will believe anything he tells them including that they represent 60% of the country

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    In a normal investigation of organized crime such things would be pretty damning, but yeah here you would want basically trump himself for it to get much traction.

• Options
    By all accounts he has plenty of connections to organized crime too. Both Russian and Sicilian.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    By all accounts he has plenty of connections to organized crime too. Both Russian and Sicilian.

Straight up mob ties from years of realestate work in New York and Atlantic City. If I'm not mistaken.

• Options
    In a normal investigation of organized crime such things would be pretty damning, but yeah here you would want basically trump himself for it to get much traction.

Yeah, I keep wondering what the legislative/judicial options are if we can conclusively prove that Trump's team knowingly and concertedly coordinated a felonious attempt to subvert the national election, and my mind boggles at any notion of result if it's also proven that Trump was aware and/or involved in those efforts personally.

I mean, all he would need to do is have his son-in-law say, "Yo, Pops, I'm gonna meet with our Russian contacts about you-know-what," and if he responds with, "Cool, right on," then he's guilty of collusion, I believe.

No way do I think Trump is innocent here, but I also don't think he's the mastermind. Trump couldn't organize a frat party at an open bar.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Atomika wrote: »

Yeah, I keep wondering what the legislative/judicial options are if we can conclusively prove that Trump's team knowingly and concertedly coordinated a felonious attempt to subvert the national election, and my mind boggles at any notion of result if it's also proven that Trump was aware and/or involved in those efforts personally.

I mean, all he would need to do is have his son-in-law say, "Yo, Pops, I'm gonna meet with our Russian contacts about you-know-what," and if he responds with, "Cool, right on," then he's guilty of collusion, I believe.

No way do I think Trump is innocent here, but I also don't think he's the mastermind. Trump couldn't organize a frat party at an open bar.

I mean, you just described Watergate. Though Nixon was more of the mastermind.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Mr. Schindler is a former NSA staffer. Says the IC has significant chatter regarding collusion with the Trump Campaign.

Schindler has credibility, but he's also big on self-aggrandizing his own connections.

I want to believe it, but I'll wait until there's something concrete.

• Options

Schindler has credibility, but he's also big on self-aggrandizing his own connections.

yeah, he's the one a few weeks ago reporting the FBI was going to arrest Trump soon

I mean, maybe they will, but I doubt it

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

I'd say the same, but so far he's come out with stories that hit the mainstream days later.

It's interesting to say the least.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular

yeah, he's the one a few weeks ago reporting the FBI was going to arrest Trump soon

He didn't say soon - he said that Trump was going to die in prison.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »

He didn't say soon - he said that Trump was going to die in prison.

Slight correction: he said he had a message from an associate in the IC that said that when asked how the IC s reacting to Trump's attacks

Schindler's facts have been pretty spot on

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Reading that article it seems like it's pretty likely that the anonymous source for the NYT is Comey himself, or a surrogate of Comey working on his behalf.
    WASHINGTON — The F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, asked the Justice Department this weekend to publicly reject President Trump’s assertion that President Barack Obama ordered the tapping of Mr. Trump’s phones, senior American officials said on Sunday. Mr. Comey has argued that the highly charged claim is false and must be corrected, they said, but the department has not released any such statement.

Mr. Comey, who made the request on Saturday after Mr. Trump leveled his allegation on Twitter, has been working to get the Justice Department to knock down the claim because it falsely insinuates that the F.B.I. broke the law, the officials said.
    [...]
    One problem Mr. Comey has faced is that there are few senior politically appointed officials at the Justice Department who can make the decision to release a statement, the officials said. Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused himself on Thursday from all matters related to the federal investigation into connections between Mr. Trump, his associates and Russia.

senior American officials
    Describing events from FBI viewpoint
    And there's hardly even any senior justice department officials right nows

This is the FBI saying, "Yo this is bullshit" without getting into the very sticky situation of publicly contradicting the president.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »
    Reading that article it seems like it's pretty likely that the anonymous source for the NYT is Comey himself, or a surrogate of Comey working on his behalf.

Mr. Comey, who made the request on Saturday after Mr. Trump leveled his allegation on Twitter, has been working to get the Justice Department to knock down the claim because it falsely insinuates that the F.B.I. broke the law, the officials said.
    [...]
    One problem Mr. Comey has faced is that there are few senior politically appointed officials at the Justice Department who can make the decision to release a statement, the officials said. Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused himself on Thursday from all matters related to the federal investigation into connections between Mr. Trump, his associates and Russia.

This is the FBI saying, "Yo this is bullshit" without getting into the very sticky situation of publicly contradicting the president.

Yeah, it's likely his circle is the source. And maybe it could be that he wants to force DoJ's hand or whatever. If they don't deny the president's claim, though, then NYT leaks aren't worth much if they're not ultimately backed by an on the record official denial of some sort by the FBI.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Elki wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »

[...]

Yeah, it's likely his circle is the source. And maybe it could be that he wants to force DoJ's hand or whatever. If they don't deny the president's claim, though, then NYT leaks aren't worth much if they're not ultimately backed by an on the record official denial of some sort by the FBI.

I can understand the logic of the FBI here though. Both the FBI and the Justice Department know this is malarkey - anyone who's even paying attention to how government normally functions knows - and they could both say so, but it's better off for the FBI leadership if they can get the Justice Department to say so first. The Justice Department is run by Trump's people, it's going to be a lot more awkward for the Trumpkins than if only the Obama-appointed Comey denies it publicly.

I think the logic here - and admittedly this is just trying to read tea leaves - is to force the Justice Department into denying Trump's conspiracy theories first. That way when the FBI publicly calls the President a liar they won't have to worry about getting stabbed in the back by Sessions or some other Trump lackey from the Justice Department who just starts lying their ass off. Which would really be catastrophic, both for the FBI as an organization and obviously for the FBI's leadership, and seems very much like the sort of thing a Trumpkin would try just to gain some points with the boss.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    Yeah, whatever you say about Comey, he's not an idiot.

He knows that even though he may have handed the election to Trump, that doesn't give him a pass.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    After trump's blowup about sessions recusing himself I think there's a roughly zero percent chance they say anything at all.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
This discussion has been closed.