As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

getting started with Twitch/Beam stream. What do i need.

azith28azith28 Registered User regular

I've been having problems finding local interest in playing a board game i purchased (Kingdom Death: Monster), and I was considering taking my search to the internet to find people willing to play remotely. I figure i would need something like the twitch streams (a friend recommended Beam over twitch), and I figured while i was at it, if i could find an all in one kind of software that handled donations/overlay/director kind of functions I might as well try to make a few bucks while we do it.

What I'm wondering if there is such a thing as the software combo i mentioned to get this started quickly and painlessly with a minimum of setup. Also, do i need multiple cameras? a green screen? abnormal security/internet knowledge?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I don't know much about streaming boardgames, but the trouble would be displaying the card field and also being able to have reactions via facecam as to the action. Most people I know who do this opt for YouTube and have a few camera so they can edit it together, cut any awkward silences, and move the game along at a nice pace.

Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
    furlionElvenshae
  • bitflipperbitflipper Registered User new member
    Is the goal to produce a video or to merely play the game with distant players?

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    mostly to play, but i want it also watchable by the stream

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    The best I've seen at streaming board and card games are the folks at LoadingReadyRun. I'd actually argue that their setup for streaming paper MTG is better than the official WOTC setup. You could check out some of their AFK streams (weekly stream where they actually play physical card and board games and which are later posted to YouTube) for some inspiration and their LRRTech streams/videos talk about their actual tech setups.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how replicable a lot of what they do is for you. They've built up quite the equipment base to work with. But they are the best, so it's worth looking at and figuring how you can scale down from their.

APODionysus on