Options

[MOVIES]: Let's All Go To The Lobby

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Regarding trans folks as psycho murderers, it's been a while since I've watched it so I may be forgetting a few details, but I think buffalo bill is a very different case than other movies that invoke anti-transgender fears. The entire film is about women's fear of men and their objectification of women. Bill's skinning of women into a lady suit is literally breaking down women into their component parts for Bill to control, with his famous dancing scene treating womanhood as purely sexual stimulation - "would you fuck me? I'd fuck me." Bill is treating womanhood not as his natural identity, he is not driven to kill because he is trans, rather it is a totem that he takes sexual pleasure in his mastery over. Lecter specifically rebuts the idea that Bill is trans, and Clarice points out that there's no correlation between being trans and any kind of violent tendencies.

Bill obviously has some real fucked up views towards women and womanhood, but I mean, yeah, he's a serial killer of women. And he's based on a couple of real life serial killers who did do things like what Bill does.

See, I was thinking of the exact same scene when figuring out why I'm not bothered by the mentally ill/trans killer trope. (I just don't automatically make the "all mentally ill/trans people are evil/killers/wrong" connection; others see it and hate it, fair enough. I'm not denying it exists, I'm just stunned that people ever get that thought. It is, after all, "just a movie." But moving on.) I went looking for the quote about transsexuals being passive and came across an interesting article. It talked about how that scene is incredibly insulting to trans people and is a reminder of how they were treated in the past. Lector tells Starling to check with the three main trans surgery hospitals because Bill likely applied and was denied because he's not a "true" transsexual. And the implication isn't that he's pretending: it's that surgeons and doctors were gatekeepers. They determined who could and could not have the surgery. If they didn't think someone would make a "convincing" transition they were denied. That's pretty fucked up. I was only 12 when it came out, so I was far removed from the politics at the time, but apparently is was being protested pretty heavily at the Oscars when it won (or so the article states). The dialogue in that scene isn't supporting a positive view of transsexuals, it's regurgitating the medically held beliefs at the time which were quite bad, it seems. Also the article implied that the line about Bill's condition being "much more terrifying" than being a transsexual was a huge slap in the face of trans people because it implies that the thought of being trans is, in itself, terrifying. I don't agree with that particular view, but I can totally see it now that it's been brought up.

It just proves that everything I like turns out to be "bad" in some way if I dig hard enough. *sigh*

Its ok to like problematic things, as long as you recognize they are problematic and reject those aspects.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I think the problem is there are very, very few positive portrayals of trans people in popular media.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    That's a good way of putting it. It doesn't matter if I don't make the negative connection based on movies; there shouldn't be only negative portrayals presented. Which, sure, there are a few that aren't bad, but that's not great.

Also, liking problematic things while understating that they are is one thing. Finding out that most of the things you like and grew up liking are problematic is just depressing.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Half the thriller genre is built around the concept that mental illness makes people dangerous

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I'm kinda surprised that people didn't know about the lesser "twist" in Split
    I thought the trailers sold it as a kinda supernatural, this dude is going to become a monster story.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Oh man I was not aware about this A Dogs Purpose thing.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Which is what? It was on the news last night and it was a topic at lunch but I had no idea what they were talking about?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Set footage got out of them abusing the dogs they were shooting with

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The Happening is still my favorite accidental comedy.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    The Happening is still my favorite accidental comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rq-7zEVuwI

What!? No!!!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    The Nic Cage Wicker Man is mine

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The Nic Cage Wicker Man is mine

That's second for me followed by The Box.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Which is what? It was on the news last night and it was a topic at lunch but I had no idea what they were talking about?
    The video, which was released yesterday, appears to show a German shepherd named Hercules fighting his handler, who is trying to get him into a pool of turbulent water for one of the film's planned scenes.

Not gonna link the vid, obviously

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I have zero interest in seeing A Dog's Purpose even without that information. It's a movie basically designed to literally shred my fragile psyche into pieces. I've got enough to be depressed about.

• Options
    "People sure get sad when a dog dies in a movie. How can we take it to the next level?"

"I know! Let's kill the dog over and over again!"

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Dammit did they really shaky cam up all the fights with Donnie Yen and Tony Jaa in XXX3?

Why

Because Tony Jaa can't fight no more

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Dammit did they really shaky cam up all the fights with Donnie Yen and Tony Jaa in XXX3?

Why

Because Tony Jaa can't fight no more

What? Why?

• Options
    I don't have a cite on that, but since his retirement and comeback all of his fight scenes appear to be shot around making sure he isn't seen doing very much. It's a jarring change from his early films. I'm pretty sure either he can't or won't do those sort of scenes any more. Won't makes a lot of sense, he was pretty rough on his body.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Didn't he also have a mental breakdown? I recall he went into the jungle or something when filming a movie. Maybe he's just not mentally aware enough any longer.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    He became a Buddhist monk for a while

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

it's the spiritual successor to Nine Lives in: trailers that I was sure were parodies

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Didn't he also have a mental breakdown? I recall he went into the jungle or something when filming a movie. Maybe he's just not mentally aware enough any longer.

He had a rough time on Ong-Bak 2 and I think walked off set. I don't know if it was a full mental breakdown.

He did retire and become a monk for several years, but you know, that seems like a fun thing to do so I won't judge him for it.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    seems like a pretty great way to get your shit sorted out, to be honest

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

He had a rough time on Ong-Bak 2 and I think walked off set. I don't know if it was a full mental breakdown.

He did retire and become a monk for several years, but you know, that seems like a fun thing to do so I won't judge him for it.

Might have been studio copy to explain his absence why they said he had a breakdown.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    the rumor that was floating around at the time was jaa became a monk to get out of a few movies he was contracted to do. he wanted a break, and this was the only way to get it. don't know how much truth their is in that rumor, but that's a pretty dope loophole to exploit.

and yeah, he has been playing it pretty safe in most instances since returning, but in skin trade he definitely put in the work in his fight with michael jai white. it wasn't as sick as jaa classic, but the fight was not created via editing either.

but that might be because he was doing his friend dolph lundgren a favor.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I don't know, I could rewatch but Skin Trade was definitely in my head as an example of "Tony Jaa isn't good any more". That whole film didn't have a single memorable fight in it.

• Options
    And it has a lot of in theory good people for some fights in it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    other than the michael jai white confrontation i totally agree that the fights were particularly bland and safe.

it seemed like everything was built around making that confrontation a setpiece, and i mean it's a pretty big "get" for the dtv action scene. i'm not saying it was mind-blowing, but it was definitely lengthy and jaa kept up his end of the bargain. it wasn't a dream fight, like i'd've liked, but i appreciated the effort? and that it was good enough it didn't need to be covered up with quick cuts.

i think I'm basically praising it with faint damning. it was a little better than average, which was more than i expected from 2015 tony jaa.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I appreciated Bone for its DTV action. I mean it was basically a martial arts western, but Micheal Jai White can fake beat a man pretty good.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Tony Jaa is 40 years old.

Damn.

• Options
    Oh and apparently in Thailand becoming a monk isn't a lifetime commitment.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Watching a double feature of The Purges: Anarchy and Election Year because it feels appropriate today.

Man, Frank Grillo is absolutely nailing this audition to be The Punisher.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    i'm watching under the skin again

this movie is still fantastic, but man it really takes the look of modern film and really plays with the dreariness of that muted color palate to highlight the mood

so when you're in that black room, that empty space feels like a natural evolution.

i love this movie so much

i really wish more movie monsters were as alien as johannson is in this flick.

it's basically scarjo's best non-ghost world work

which, naturally, i have to watch next now that i mentioned it

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

is it anywhere

like is there anywhere that they say "this is for life and if you try to leave we'll shackle you to the floor"?

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Ghost World was a better movie than a comic in my humble opinion.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

is it anywhere

like is there anywhere that they say "this is for life and if you try to leave we'll shackle you to the floor"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8UTANHpsV0

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Gustav wrote: »
    Ghost World was a better movie than a comic in my humble opinion.

easily

a lot of the ideas are good, but since there was no serialization, none of them ever panned out to anything

turns out if you make some of the highs of ghost world the comic into part of a narrative, it's fantastic

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    edited January 2017
    i'm watching under the skin again

this movie is still fantastic, but man it really takes the look of modern film and really plays with the dreariness of that muted color palate to highlight the mood

so when you're in that black room, that empty space feels like a natural evolution.

i love this movie so much

i really wish more movie monsters were as alien as johannson is in this flick.

it's basically scarjo's best non-ghost world work

which, naturally, i have to watch next now that i mentioned it

Excuse me, you're forgetting about The Island

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    the island was just another typical shitty hollywood remake

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I need to watch Ghost World again

This discussion has been closed.