As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Anyone got a recommendation on a double rifle case?

So I bought a shotgun. Just a mossberg 500 on sale to round out the collection. But it would be nice to not look like a doofus with that and a rifle just poking out of a backpack the next time I head to the range. Would something like this be fine or is there a better/cheaper option?

Also, I may have fallen into a dark well of looking at AR parts to make it look just like my old gat. I will stay strong.

What'd that shotgun run you?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    You can check YouTube for reviews of the bag. Last night I searched for some reviews on their new optics and they've improved quite a bit so the bags may be okay too.

There are a lot of brands out now that are all likely comparable quality.
    Thanks NSDFRand! Every other/third week is more likely just due to how long the drive is (hour and a half) so maybe I’ll just keep my eye out for a little bit. Are there any companies I should look for in particular? Not a dedicated 3-gun bag or anything but just something I can get a year or two out of before seams start popping.

I watched some reviews on their newest gen of optics under the Vism brand and apparently they've improved in quality significantly in the last year. 704 Tactical has some reviews of them and I was pretty impressed.

• Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    I don't know how many people in here live in California and haven't already heard of this, but a judge overturned the standard-cap mag possession law and also apparently struck down the entire section of the penal code that made acquisition of standard cap mags prohibited.

https://thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/03/29/california-magazine-ban-unconstitutional-for-now/

There's a couple lists floating around of vendors that are selling to California residents, I've already put in orders for some Glock mags preparing for when I get my PC Carbine.

List: Vendors Selling Standard Capacity Magazines to California.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I’ve been really happy to hear that all weekend.

As a result, I’ve not ordered any mags so that you Californians can stock up.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    Anyone got a recommendation on a double rifle case?

So I bought a shotgun. Just a mossberg 500 on sale to round out the collection. But it would be nice to not look like a doofus with that and a rifle just poking out of a backpack the next time I head to the range. Would something like this be fine or is there a better/cheaper option?

Also, I may have fallen into a dark well of looking at AR parts to make it look just like my old gat. I will stay strong.

What'd that shotgun run you?

After taxes about $300.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Yeah I'm holding off on putting in another order for Glock Pmags from Gun Mag Warehouse.

Coincidentally @shorttimin' Gun Mag Warehouse has Magpul Glock mags, ten 15 or 17 round capacity for $120. I tested some this past weekend in my 19 build and they ran great. They have the lowest prices on them I've seen. ETS mags are also great and I use them for range time.

Speaking of, may have figured out the issue, the safety plunger and extractor were caked in carbon I assume from shooting the Federal aluminum case 9mm and that may caused the two stove pipes I experienced.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Yeah I'm holding off on putting in another order for Glock Pmags from Gun Mag Warehouse.

Coincidentally @shorttimin' Gun Mag Warehouse has Magpul Glock mags, ten 15 or 17 round capacity for $120. I tested some this past weekend in my 19 build and they ran great. They have the lowest prices on them I've seen. ETS mags are also great and I use them for range time.

Speaking of, may have figured out the issue, the safety plunger and extractor were caked in carbon I assume from shooting the Federal aluminum case 9mm and that may caused the two stove pipes I experienced.

GunMag Warehouse is actually where I put in my order! 4x ETS Glock17 17-rd and 4x ETS 31-rd mags.

I’ve heard that Magpul std-cap mags can have trouble with the feed lips failing. I’d love to get more if that’s not the case. Are your Magpul mags new or have you had em for a while?

I may take advantage of that bulk purchase if there isn’t a stay issued by my next paycheck.

• Options

GunMag Warehouse is actually where I put in my order! 4x ETS Glock17 17-rd and 4x ETS 31-rd mags.

I’ve heard that Magpul std-cap mags can have trouble with the feed lips failing. I’d love to get more if that’s not the case. Are your Magpul mags new or have you had em for a while?

I may take advantage of that bulk purchase if there isn’t a stay issued by my next paycheck.

They're new. I don't store them loaded because I don't use them for carry. I hadn't heard that but now I'll store a couple loaded for awhile and see if the feed lips break. I've never had that problem with their rifle magazines.

• Options

They're new. I don't store them loaded because I don't use them for carry. I hadn't heard that but now I'll store a couple loaded for awhile and see if the feed lips break. I've never had that problem with their rifle magazines.

What’s your carry mag, if you have one? Made by Glock?

• Options

What’s your carry mag, if you have one? Made by Glock?

Yeah OEM OD green 15 rounders with the orange followers. I have some older 17 round OEM mags also.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of making my 9mm a Springfield XDM. It would fit my collection of Central European guns quite nicely.

• Options
    So not buying that shotgun turned out to be a blessing in disguise because a couple of weeks later CDNN was selling a left handed Ruger Scout for about $400 below MSRP and I ended up getting that. Now I’ve got a bolt .308 that I’m pretty pumped about and can not wait to get to the range to sight in.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of making my 9mm a Springfield XDM. It would fit my collection of Central European guns quite nicely.

Springfield XD, or CZ, or I know a few people who like Canik.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Also everyone let me tell you about the joys of 6.5x55 Swede.

• Options
    My grandfather offered me his old M1 Carbine! Just gotta make sure all my paper work is in order.

Although it does bring up a question I've been meaning to ask: how long can you shoot a rifle until you induce noticeable wear and tear on it? I love my 119 year old Mauser but I don't want to shoot it till it breaks (or worse, replace a part!)

Partially kidding. Although it would lose value I bought it to shoot it, and I doubt prices will go down or a large stock discovered.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My grandfather offered me his old M1 Carbine! Just gotta make sure all my paper work is in order.

Although it does bring up a question I've been meaning to ask: how long can you shoot a rifle until you induce noticeable wear and tear on it? I love my 119 year old Mauser but I don't want to shoot it till it breaks (or worse, replace a part!)

Partially kidding. Although it would lose value I bought it to shoot it, and I doubt prices will go down or a large stock discovered.

A good gunsmith should be able to assess wear on the barrel and other wear parts. A well maintained weapon should last thousands of rounds though, though if you're shooting super hot loads you might induce a bit of additional wear.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    RE wear from use: there are guys with old beat up M16s and Colt carbines in the world with thousands upon thousands of rounds through them and they're still holding up. Rifles are a lot more durable than I think many assume. Many will hold up to an insane amount of abuse and keep running.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular

Springfield XD, or CZ, or I know a few people who like Canik.

I stan CZ in this house, but the Turkish guns are pretty reasonable deals if you can't find a CZ P10

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Went and put 150 rounds through my .38 today and also got to shoot a vector acp. Good times.

• Options
    I back ordered one of those ATI Galils. Hope I get it, always loved the Galil.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Okay, range report with the BP-12:

-Turns out the target and bird shells I got weren't allowed at the range I go to, so picked up a couple boxes of different shells (1 box of 10 low-recoil slugs with a muzzle velocity of 1300fps and a box of 25 high-pressure buckshot with a muzzle velocity of 1125)...I also brought a couple mags of my 1500fps 1oz slugs)
    -First magazine turned my shotgun into a chimney...maybe I should have run a cotton ball through the barrel before taking it to the range. Otherwise, the slug magazines ran flawlessly
    -Tried out a mag of the low-recoil slugs...it ran smoothly and flawlessly
    -Tried out a mag of the high pressure buckshot...got 2 shells in and got a failure to feed (stove-piping out of the magazine)
    -Reloaded a magazine with the low-recoil slugs and did as rapid fire as fast as I could keep it on target...flawless feeding
    -Went back to the high pressure buckshot, but was being mindful of any failure to feeds...second mag ran perfectly.

All told, I love this thing. Took a magazine to get the irons centered, but, after I got that squared away, the paper targets I was shooting at looked like they had a cannonball put through them. Seriously, the second target I put up had a hole the size of a pomelo punched into the left shoulder (had the target pushed back to 20m and I was getting a little sloppy what with my shoulder getting a little achey after 25 shells (I'm out of shooting shape, that's for dang sure). Now I'm really looking forward to tossing on a Meprolight RDS on Mr. Shotty McHottie.

At the end, I rented a PS90 that was at the range. After shooting the BP-12, it was crazy. Pulling the trigger on the PS90, and I had to pull the target forward to verify that I actually fired a round. There was just absolutely no felt recoil on those wee little rounds.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    From the original P90 promo video, skip to about 4:25 to see a couple full-auto mag dumps, the recoil's so light they look like they're firing airsoft guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyJEEISVTd4

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    That was the promise of those special PDW cartridges: light, low felt recoil, and small. And then every government seriously looking at it decided to just buy M4s, C8s, and Mk18s, and eventually 416s. The HK MP7 did get picked up by some US SOF (and I've read of some civilian SWAT teams which got their hands on them) but most people who need a compact rifle in a cartridge that can still be effective just bought shorter rifles (and now there's .300 blackout, good out of an SBR, good suppressed, and you can still fire supersonic out of it if you need to).

And because of import restrictions the ammo which was designed to be used in the P90 to serve its primary purpose (pierce soft armor) isn't available in any useful quantity and the cartridge is generally more expensive than other pistol cartridges. So the civilian market doesn't seem to have grabbed onto it either.

It's definitely a cool PDW.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    There is a basically-mint Remington 11-87 with the cantilevered scope mount rifled barrel and synthetic furniture at the gun show I just left

$400

It looks NIB except the cap at the end of the palm rest on the stock apparently fell off, the glue failed

I'm vexed over leaving that on the table. If I buy it, though, I'm basically in the same boat I am right now (same gun, same barrel...needs furniture, a new barrel, new mag tube)

• Options
    [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    Replaced the standard Galil Ace handguard with a slim Midwest Industries m-lok rail. Feels so much better, and a bit lighter too. Weather is finally getting better here in NoDak so I'm thinking next weekend I will finally get to hit the range for the first time this year. I am excite.

• Options
    So, I decided to cancel the Galil order as I heard iffy things about American Tactical Imports.

But now I'm eyeing a Marcolmar Cetme L for 1400USD. Very tempting....

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    That was the promise of those special PDW cartridges: light, low felt recoil, and small. And then every government seriously looking at it decided to just buy M4s, C8s, and Mk18s, and eventually 416s. The HK MP7 did get picked up by some US SOF (and I've read of some civilian SWAT teams which got their hands on them) but most people who need a compact rifle in a cartridge that can still be effective just bought shorter rifles (and now there's .300 blackout, good out of an SBR, good suppressed, and you can still fire supersonic out of it if you need to).

And because of import restrictions the ammo which was designed to be used in the P90 to serve its primary purpose (pierce soft armor) isn't available in any useful quantity and the cartridge is generally more expensive than other pistol cartridges. So the civilian market doesn't seem to have grabbed onto it either.

I know the Secret Service fielded them, or still does. It's definitely my favorite of the FNH "space guns" but they are super expensive, look dumb with the 16" barrel, and the ammo is crazy pricey.

Shame.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

I know the Secret Service fielded them, or still does. It's definitely my favorite of the FNH "space guns" but they are super expensive, look dumb with the 16" barrel, and the ammo is crazy pricey.

Shame.

The P90 make the most sense for the USSS. IIRC the original idea was to market the P90 as a PDW for non infantry, so vehicle operators and combat support/combat service support people. But if anyone needs a compact lead hose with low felt recoil and a cartridge with good penetration it's someone in a PSD role like the Secret Service.

RE the civilian market: it is a shame. More innovation is something I would love to see. The AR is pretty much the epitome of small arms development and I love shooting the AR platform because it is so versatile and there are chamberings available for a wide variety of cartridges allowing for a range of applications from plinking to big game. But I would like to see more variety and competition of platforms.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    There were a metric ton of those Panzer Arms shotguns at the gun show I attended recently, those look be turning into a thing

I did see one KelTec KSG, and one .410 AR

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Shame.

The P90 make the most sense for the USSS. IIRC the original idea was to market the P90 as a PDW for non infantry, so vehicle operators and combat support/combat service support people. But if anyone needs a compact lead hose with low felt recoil and a cartridge with good penetration it's someone in a PSD role like the Secret Service.

RE the civilian market: it is a shame. More innovation is something I would love to see. The AR is pretty much the epitome of small arms development and I love shooting the AR platform because it is so versatile and there are chamberings available for a wide variety of cartridges allowing for a range of applications from plinking to big game. But I would like to see more variety and competition of platforms.

Innovation does happen but it's usually proprietary and has to compete with cost against a more open platform like the AR-15. The FN FS2000 has a lot of neat features like ejecting the casings in a way that doesn't get in the way of left handed users but only FN makes the things and they're a lot pricier than an AR-15 build.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Shame.

Innovation does happen but it's usually proprietary and has to compete with cost against a more open platform like the AR-15. The FN FS2000 has a lot of neat features like ejecting the casings in a way that doesn't get in the way of left handed users but only FN makes the things and they're a lot pricier than an AR-15 build.

There definitely are people innovating right now. There's the company whose name escapes me right this moment that is making the smoothbore short barrel rifles, so technically not a rifle and not subject to NFA restrictions, which uses a fin stabilized cartridge. They also built a technically not semi auto, semi auto pistol carbine that is sort of like a double action only gun.

There's also cartridge innovation, optics etc.

Outside of the rifle realm there are also people innovating with pistols. Unfortunately some of the more promising Ines like the Hudson H9 have collapsed because of unfortunate planning issues (they offered an improved version too early and sort of cut themselves off at the knees).

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Edit for topic

SummaryJudgment on
  • Options

Shame.

There definitely are people innovating right now. There's the company whose name escapes me right this moment that is making the smoothbore short barrel rifles, so technically not a rifle and not subject to NFA restrictions, which uses a fin stabilized cartridge. They also built a technically not semi auto, semi auto pistol carbine that is sort of like a double action only gun.

There's also cartridge innovation, optics etc.

Outside of the rifle realm there are also people innovating with pistols. Unfortunately some of the more promising Ines like the Hudson H9 have collapsed because of unfortunate planning issues (they offered an improved version too early and sort of cut themselves off at the knees).

Franklin Armory’s Reformation. Which is the time period that gun belongs in

• Options
    Anyone have a cleaning kit they like? I'm considering https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0F4NFO/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

• Options
    It's hard to go wrong with a cleaning kit, but that looks like a good one.

There was a little discussion up thread about bags and I ended up getting a new one from a site called Squatch Survival Gear. It's called the Ambush Pack and it's made by a company called Red Rock Outdoor Gear. I just got it in today and set it up for my gear and tried it on. It's on the smaller side but that was exactly what I was looking for. It's quite a bit smaller than an assault pack but large enough to fit a medium sized laptop. It also has an expandable pocket for a helmet but I don't have my kpot with me to test it out. I imagine it can fit other stuff like motorcycle helmets, protech, skateboard etc. helmets and it expands out quite a bit. There's a PALS panel on the back which feels really sturdy and more loops on the sides as well as on the straps. I went with the gray one but there's a couple of colors available. I'm going to test it out over the next few weeks on range trips and stuff and see how it holds up. So far it feels as or more sturdy than some of the packs I was issued and deployed with. And in gray or black even with the PALS panel on the back it doesn't scream "tactical".

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Picked up that and some punches so I can get my 11-87 and my 527 Speedmaster apart and clean them properly.

Doing more research, I understand why that 1187 was going for 400 now - Mossberg has really taken over the budget autoloading shotgun market. $500-$650 for their 930, and the next thing up is a Remington Versa at $1k beginning.

Looking hard at a 930 Jerry Micheluk - I need 8+1 for 3-gun, so I can do the JM in a 22" at 9+1", or a 930 tactical at 18.5"/8 shells.

I like that the 930 tactical already has a rail on it (although the JM is tapped) and comes with a ghost ring rear sight and fiber optic front post, but I don't know if that will cowitness properly with an optic & not sure about removing it?

SummaryJudgment on
  • Options
    The JM 590 looks great. Now I want one, but I also just like shotguns in general.

• Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    I've never owned an all-in-one cleaning kit before. I'd go with specific caliber bore snakes over rods, to be honest.

• Options
    Anyone have a cleaning kit they like? I'm considering https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0F4NFO/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I have that exact same kit. Not very knowledgeable yet, but I haven't had any major issues with it. Only complaint is the pieces roll around in it even when closed up

• Options
    Why is the Galil Ace sold out everywhere?