As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm a big fan of Holosun's offerings. I have two 510Cs (AR and CZ Scorpion) and a 507C (FNX-45T), and I'm super happy with all of them and would buy again.

That said, I'd go EOTech if I wanted something a bit more bomb-proof, especially over the open glass of the 510C. Holosun makes the 512C, which is supposedly pretty good for something that looks like a toaster, but I haven't seen it in stock anywhere in months.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    So I ordered the backup flip up sights and an Aimpoint PRO for now. I think I'll eventually get an HHS 1, but they are hard to come by right now, and the Aimpoint is more than good enough for taking it to the range in a couple weeks.

e: And since I eventually plan to get a DDM4 at some point I'll have another gun to put extra optics on.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    You're prob going to need a riser for any optic you install. Learned that when I got my AR last year and tried to buch a cheap Bushnell RDS on it.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I've heard for the Aimpoint riser or no riser is kind of a preference thing. I'll get it on there and see. I think it's harder to co-witness the iron sights if you rise it.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    Aimpoint PRO should be absolute cowitness unless they’ve changed it up since I owned one. Makes zeroing real easy if your irons are already good.
    I really like absolute cowitness with flip up irons, good field of view and doesn’t get in the way otherwise.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    The PRO still lists absolute co-witness as a feature, so that's what I'm hoping for! Since my piece came with a naked rail I'll need to zero in the irons, but I bought a bore laser to get me started. I'll do what I can at home with the bore laser and than fine tune when I go to the range.

e: Related, all my goodies from Magpul shipped. Front and rear flip ups, couple more PMAGs, an angular fore grip and some M-LOK 1913 rails to mount things.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    This is a little more than I'd like for an AK-47, but any thoughts on this? Can I swap the furniture for wood?
    https://www.rkguns.com/century-arms-vska-7-62x39-ak-47-semi-auto-rifle-ri3291-n-30rd-16-5.html

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
      The only thing I do know is

1) that's pretty cheap for an AK these days. Most are 1000 plus dollars.
      2) Never trust Century*
      *Okay fine some of their guns may be fine but do your research first. They are a bad company.

• Options
      Oh good call. Just a little more research and it seems imported-good, made in USA-bad. That one is USA

• Options
        Century imports for WASR, which used to be the king of cheap AKs. Don't know if either of those statements are still true.

Either way, the price went up massively due to the supply of old surplus AKs from Eastern Europe dried up.

If you want a really good AK, I think the top three in no order are PSA (made in US, but good), Arsenal, and Kalashnikov USA.

• Options
        Two of the best imports right now are the Zastava ZPAP M70 and the WBP Fox. The M70 is more reasonably priced.

• Options
        TimFiji wrote: »
        Oh good call. Just a little more research and it seems imported-good, made in USA-bad. That one is USA
        https://dkfirearms.com/product/zastava-arms-ak-47-zpap-m70-poly-furniture/

Popped up on a tracker I use, M70s are a good “budget” AK for only $180 more.

• Options
        I forgot Zastava started directly importing.

They are indeed good AKs from what I hear.

• Options
        edited May 2021
        Recommendations on good 5.56 ammo? Probably looking at 55gr, something close to M193 spec, but doesn't have to be milspec I just don't want low pressure rounds. I've seen good things about PMC X-TAC, Federal's American Eagle stuff and the Wolf Gold brass FMJ stuff made in Taiwan. Anyone else have a personal favorite?

e: Ha, that DK firearms website is running a giveaway for the rifle I just bought. Funny coincidence.

GnomeTank on
      • Options
        webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
        edited May 2021
        GnomeTank wrote: »
        Recommendations on good 5.56 ammo? Probably looking at 55gr, something close to M193 spec, but doesn't have to be milspec I just don't want low pressure rounds. I've seen good things about PMC X-TAC, Federal's American Eagle stuff and the Wolf Gold brass FMJ stuff made in Taiwan. Anyone else have a personal favorite?

e: Ha, that DK firearms website is running a giveaway for the rifle I just bought. Funny coincidence.

I just trawl Reddit's InStock sub for name brand stuff. Can't be very choosy right now. It all shoots fine.

webguy20 on
        Steam ID: Webguy20
        Origin ID: Discgolfer27
        Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
      • Options
        edited May 2021
        With how expensive 5.56 has been over this last year I’ve gotten really into shooting my SKS and 22 conversion bolt for ARs. But what webguy said, pretty much just anything not remanufactured or reloaded will be fine.

If you can find it Hornady makes a really nice 77 grain 5.56 round. I can plink out to 350-400 yards with it.

David Walgas on
      • Options
        ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Personally, I can't use PMC X-TAC 5.56 ammo. It might've been the range I was at when I used it and they had shit ventilation, but I got a gnarly headache after shooting off a magazine.

However, with that said, I routinely buy from sgammo.com. Right now, they've got that PMC 55gr (XP193) at 85cpr which isn't too bad compared to normal retail prices.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
      • Options
        edited May 2021
        Thanks for the tip on sgammo. I'd seen it listed at AmmoBuy but wasn't sure about it. I ordered 10 box's of the PMC and 10 of the Wolf. I'll see which I like more when we head out for our camping/shooting trip in a few weeks. We'll be shooting outdoors so I'm not too worried about fumes.

GnomeTank on
      • Options
        Speaking of shooting outside. For quick brass clean up get a cheap 12x12 harbor freight tarp, lay it out on the ground, and stand centered about 3 feet away from it. All the brass lands on the tarp and at the end it takes like a minute to clean up.

• Options
        TimFiji wrote: »
        https://dkfirearms.com/product/zastava-arms-ak-47-zpap-m70-poly-furniture/

Popped up on a tracker I use, M70s are a good “budget” AK for only $180 more.

Well I fell ass backwards into a good deal. My friend is moving to NY and thinning his collection so I bought his PSA AK-47 with red wood furniture off him for $700 with 3 mags, and unspecified amount of ammo. I'm excited!

• Options
          That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
          IMO, a cheap AR is better than a cheap AK. At least in the US where ARs are more plentiful and manufactured locally.

• Options
          That_Guy wrote: »
          IMO, a cheap AR is better than a cheap AK. At least in the US where ARs are more plentiful and manufactured locally.

The margin of quality and safety between a cheap and expensive AR is definitely narrower than for AKs.

AKs with cast trunnions are pretty well known for catastrophic failures of that part.

An AR that goes kaboom is usually due to faulty ammo, or very rarely a firing pin that is stuck forward and causes it to fire out-of-battery. That's usually due to severe maintenance/neglect issues rather than something inherit in the engineering of the firearm.

Besides that, you can put together an AR with cheap, run of the mill, parts and squeeze 2 MOA out of it. With a cheap AK the sights might be canted out of the box.

To be fair, this also applies to the AR vs pretty much everything else. There's a reason it's such a popular platform.

• Options
          I'm just not an AK guy. Nothing about them is attractive to me. I don't like how they look, I've fired a couple and didn't like the way they shoot, and I don't like the hit or miss market around them especially in the US. It's a bit of home team homerism but I just like the AR platform. My next purchase will likely be an AR-10 variant of some kind because I like the platform so much I'll take it chambered in .308 as well.

• Options
          SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
          edited May 2021

I wanted 7.62x39 so I bought a PSA AK and like

maybe it's just the AK platform but its just kind of blah. Canted sights (it zeroes but forget about cowitnessing), the bolt carrier slap is annoyingly pronounced, mounting a rail and scope is fiddlefucky even with decent (read: heavy) solutions

I'm half inclined to just sell it and move on.

I wish I would've grabbed a x39 upper or something. It's just not really all that fun to shoot. It goes bang 100% reliably and I'm not worried about it failing, but it's just annoying.

SummaryJudgment on
          Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
        • Options
          ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular

maybe it's just the AK platform but its just kind of blah. Canted sights (it zeroes but forget about cowitnessing), the bolt carrier slap is annoyingly pronounced, mounting a rail and scope is fiddlefucky even with decent (read: heavy) solutions

I wish I would've grabbed a x39 upper or something. It's just not really all that fun to shoot. It goes bang 100% reliably and I'm not worried about it failing, but it's just annoying.

Sadly from what I've heard, the 7.62x39 ar market isn't much better. I've heard horror stories of jamming/misfeed issues with x39 ar uppers/lowers and only a handful of manufacturers are out there that do any decent x39 ar platform. I think the CMMG mutant line is the only one that's decently reliable, otherwise you have to look into things like the Galil platform or something.

• Options
          VZ 58 and SKS are good 7.62x39 shooters.

• Options
          matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

Sadly from what I've heard, the 7.62x39 ar market isn't much better. I've heard horror stories of jamming/misfeed issues with x39 ar uppers/lowers and only a handful of manufacturers are out there that do any decent x39 ar platform. I think the CMMG mutant line is the only one that's decently reliable, otherwise you have to look into things like the Galil platform or something.

The Faxon ARAK is good too, but that's a $2k rifle.

Bolt, buffer weight and how stiff the buffer spring is are the most important part of putting together an AR-47.

nibXTE7.png
        • Options
          SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
          ARs rule, AKs drool.

To be fair though, at least in my area, 7.62 seemed to be a lot more resistant to price spikes in the early stages of our current ammo supply issue.

• Options
          ARs rule, AKs drool.

To be fair though, at least in my area, 7.62 seemed to be a lot more resistant to price spikes in the early stages of our current ammo supply issue.

ARs do rule, and AKs drool, it is a fact, but nothing kicks as much ass as a pump action 12 gauge shotgun.

• Options
          edited May 2021
          I'm glad the Aero M5E1 is out of stock everywhere, because I really want one.

e: I think I've been swayed to the 6.5 Creedmoor dark side from .308.

GnomeTank on
        • Options
          6.5 Creedmore: Meh

6.5 Sweedish, Japanese, or Grendel: Yes!

• Options
          ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
          I'm glad the Aero M5E1 is out of stock everywhere, because I really want one.

e: I think I've been swayed to the 6.5 Creedmoor dark side from .308.

I'm actually finding myself in the opposite situation: I can find Kalashnikov US KP-9 in stock in places...they're just more expensive than they should be (should be in the $700-$800 range instead of the $1k-$1.4k I'm seeing on gunbroker).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
        • Options
          I think prices on things are probably just going up. Watching reviews on various AR-10's the PSA Gen 3's are always talked about as 700'ish dollar guns, but a 20" 6.5 Creedmoor PSA Gen 3 right now is listed at almost 1300 bucks direct from PSA. I suspect prices are going to normalize this way at this point.

• Options
          Unrelated to rifle prices, suggestions on a 9mm handgun to teach a 13 year old with? About time to start teaching my daughter to shoot and I learned on a 9mm so I'll go that route with her. I've always owned and shot Glocks, and like them, but I'm willing to listen to suggestions. I know people really love Sig's right now.

• Options
          Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
          Unless you’re just looking to buy a new pistol, I would stick with teaching on a Glock if that’s what you have.

If she hasn’t shot before, I’d urge starting with a .22 over a 9mm but you know your daughter best. I guess that’s where the Glock 44 would come in handy.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
        • Options
          Yea stick with the glock unless she finds it uncomfortable to operate.

• Options
          I don't own a 9mm right now, my Glock is a .40 S&W which is way too poppy to teach her on I think. She's almost 13 and I learned 9mm by the time I was 8 or 9, I think she can handle 9mm fine with me there to tutor her.

• Options
          edited May 2021
          Honestly I kinda hate learning on .22s. They are like bb guns.

For someone new I would look arlt a full size pistol. Like a G17. Larger pistols mean more mass, less recoil.

JusticeforPluto on
        • Options
          I don't own a 9mm right now, my Glock is a .40 S&W which is way too poppy to teach her on I think. She's almost 13 and I learned 9mm by the time I was 8 or 9, I think she can handle 9mm fine with me there to tutor her.

On the flipside you could get a nice ruger.22 target pistol and have a great plinking gun that won't break the bank on ammo cost. Also a lot more available ammo.

• Options
          Really, the 9mm market is flooded with good guns. It's probably hard to get a bad gun (unless you get an unknown brand, and even then a lot of those no names are fine guns)