Options

[NFL] Thread: There Will Be No Overtime For This Thread.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »
    It's a bit early for the "Nah nah nah nah, hey hey heys. . ." Atlanta.

Not really

:sad:

I'm more a basketball fan but surely with 3.5 quarters to go anything can happen.

OK well our ball again. . .uh. . .

If the Packers had a Secondary of any kind I would agree.

As is...

Fire. Dom. Capers.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    That was definitely not a safety. At best it was an incorrect spot, but McCarthy would've had to challenge the ruling on the field.

It looked like the guy recovered on the 1 and intentionally rolled into the end zone to get a touchback

Could he even challenge though? It was a turnover. I'm not sure how the rules work

Oh yeah -- it must've been reviewed. So they must've determined he didn't establish possession until the endzone.

Official call. Not sure why they didn't show replays or even mention it on air but seems reasonable

That's it, folks.

Official calls are never wrong.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Miller. "More taste".

When you're starting at "Zero taste", it's not much of a leap.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Apparently there is a rule preventing safeties due to momentum taking a player into the end zone.

Learn something new everyday.

I think that applies to players chasing after the ball toward the end zone. Sure. But rolling in? Why wasn't he rolling when he was grabbing for the ball?

The only way for it to become a safety is if he rolled into the end zone, got up, ran out of the end zone, and then ended up back in the end zone and down. Otherwise, the worst that could happen is he gets forward progress at the 1.

*or if he got up in the end zone and committed a foul.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    So wait.. the end zone functions as like, the sideline does for out of bounds? Does that make sense? Any other situation it doesn't matter how far back you are extended

Weird

Yeah. See downing punts.

But not for catching touchdowns..

I dunno. I don't buy he didn't have possession until his leg touched. I think it would've just been a kind of shitty result, the kind that happens in madden and you're like fucking really? A safety?

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    It was obviously not a safety and if it was that rule would get changed REAL fast. People would not fuckin' stand for turnovers easily turning into safeties.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Wow. That could have been disastrous.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    hippofant wrote: »
    So wait.. the end zone functions as like, the sideline does for out of bounds? Does that make sense? Any other situation it doesn't matter how far back you are extended

Weird

Yeah. See downing punts.

But not for catching touchdowns..

I dunno. I don't buy he didn't have possession until his leg touched. I think it would've just been a kind of shitty result, the kind that happens in madden and you're like fucking really? A safety?

Rules are different for when the ball is in hand vs when the ball is loose, IIRC.

hippofant on
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    How did the Packers not get that fumble?

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    How did the Packers not get that fumble?

Packers D gonna Packers D.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    It was obviously not a safety and if it was that rule would get changed REAL fast. People would not fuckin' stand for turnovers easily turning into safeties.

It was the equivalent of if Malcolm butler dove backwards into the end zone after picking Russell at the 1

You obviously shouldn't be allowed to do that but how are you going to try and distinguish intentional from unintentional without causing shitstorms

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Packers receive at half. A TD here puts them back in it.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    That was a hit

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Apparently there is a rule preventing safeties due to momentum taking a player into the end zone.

I think that applies to players chasing after the ball toward the end zone. Sure. But rolling in? Why wasn't he rolling when he was grabbing for the ball?

The only way for it to become a safety is if he rolled into the end zone, got up, ran out of the end zone, and then ended up back in the end zone and down. Otherwise, the worst that could happen is he gets forward progress at the 1.

By that logic, a player could intercept a pass inside the twenty and then run hell for leather into the end zone just to get better field position. The player literally had possession of the ball and then rolled himself into the end zone. Plus, the idea that he was 'in' the end zone because his foot was on the line like a wrestler with his leg on the ropes is really silly as y2jake points out. And anyway he wasn't downing a punt, which is basically a dead ball play. The ball was live and could be advanced (or not) by any player in possession of it.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Man dude took a step after the ball was gone.

• Options

It was the equivalent of if Malcolm butler dove backwards into the end zone after picking Russell at the 1

You obviously shouldn't be allowed to do that but how are you going to try and distinguish intentional from unintentional without causing shitstorms

But also, Butler could've just fallen down where he was because the momentum of making that catch absolutely carried him back into the end zone.

I hope you appreciate that I went and rewatched that play so I could have an accurate response here.

• Options
    Hands of doom!

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Man, so many unlicky breaks so far.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options

But also, Butler could've just fallen down where he was because the momentum of making that catch absolutely carried him back into the end zone.

I hope you appreciate that I went and rewatched that play so I could have an accurate response here.

I did too! And I'm not really buying the official explanation that he didn't have possession until his leg was touching. Seemed like he had possession beforehand. I can see possession on the 1 but touchback seems like a stretch

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Wow.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Well you don't see a lot of fingertip sacks.

• Options

By that logic, a player could intercept a pass inside the twenty and then run hell for leather into the end zone just to get better field position. The player literally had possession of the ball and then rolled himself into the end zone. Plus, the idea that he was 'in' the end zone because his foot was on the line like a wrestler with his leg on the ropes is really silly as y2jake points out. And anyway he wasn't downing a punt, which is basically a dead ball play. The ball was live and could be advanced (or not) by any player in possession of it.

If you want, don't compare to punts: compare to kick-offs. Same rule applies, even though the ball is live and can be advanced by any player.

• Options

That would just give them possession wherever he intercepted the ball, because of forward progress.

I agree that the spot was questionable, but it wasn't a safety.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Weird, the Hail Mary usually works for Green Bay

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Bad call on Rodgers.

• Options
    quovadis13 wrote: »

Giggity.

• Options
    That would have been an amazing TD.

• Options
    3 GB DBs and no one comes up with it.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    3 GB DBs and no one comes up with it.

QB called "10" so it wasn't even worth it to catch it yknow

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Here's the relevant rulings from the NFL rulebook (3.2.7.2): - I think, based on a skimming of the book.
    Item 2. Possession of Loose Ball. To gain possession of a loose ball that has been caught, intercepted, or recovered, a
    player must have complete control of the ball and have both feet or any other part of his body, other than his hands,
    completely on the ground inbounds, and then maintain control of the ball until he has clearly become a runner. A player
    becomes a runner when he is capable of avoiding or warding off impending contact of an opponent. If the player loses the ball
    while simultaneously touching both feet or any other part of his body to the ground, there is no possession. This rule applies in
    the field of play and in the end zone....

(2) If a player goes to the ground out of bounds (with or without contact by an opponent) in the process of attempting to
    secure possession of a loose ball at the sideline, he must maintain complete and continuous control of the ball until
    after his initial contact with the ground, or there is no possession.

(3) If a player would have caught, intercepted, or recovered a ball inbounds, but is carried out of bounds, player
    possession will be granted (8-1-3-Item 6).

11.5.1:
    It is not a safety:

(2) If a defensive player, in the field of play, intercepts a pass or catches or recovers a fumble, backward pass,
    scrimmage kick, free kick, or fair catch kick, and his original momentum carries him into his end zone where the ball
    is declared dead in his team’s possession. The ball belongs to the defensive team at the spot where the player’s foot
    or other body part touched the ground to establish possession.

hippofant on
  • Options
    Wow what a terrible throw.

• Options
    This game is why I didn't have much faith if Dallas had won last week. Defense does win championships and Dallas doesn't have much of one.

• Options
    Evans set up for that ball like he was catching a punt. So we know why they don't send Evans out to catch punts. :D

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »

Like the announcers said it was basically a punt with the upside of potentially being a huge play.

I do think all the hits are starting to rattle Rodgers a bit, though, because that did not look like his normal hail mary type throw.

• Options
    This game is why I didn't have much faith if Dallas had won last week. Defense does win championships and Dallas doesn't have much of one.

True, but I think our run game would've let us do more than what we've seen from GB so far.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Rip gb

• Options
    Jesus Julio.

• Options
    Looked like he hit white to me.

• Options
    No shit he got away with something? lol

• Options