As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LGBT] thread won't be removed from this site

tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of RocksOaklandRegistered User regular
vc47stetzoua.png84q2mewd4x0p.png

This thread is back because, honestly, it needs to exist here. There's too much going on out there, and the members of this community need a place to discuss/vent.

If you make up some part of the QUILTBAG (even if you don’t fit in that cute little acronym) then I hope this thread can be a place for you to feel comfortable talking about it!

Of course heterosexual cisgender folks are welcome as well just try and be considerate of the space, that’s all. Feel free to ask if you have any questions (though maybe try google first) or talk about stuff that falls under the purview of the thread, the important thing is don’t be jerk.

4au0g3fpiirf.png

Things worth keeping in mind:

If you ask a question then take some time to absorb the answer, even if it doesn’t make sense right away maybe let it percolate a little bit before arguing about it.
Don't misgender or deadname people (both your fellow forumers and people who don’t post here), if you aren’t sure what pronoun or name you should use then you can always say so!
Be respectful of whatever labels people self-apply. It is never ever up to you to decide that someone is not actually bi or not really a woman or anything like that. I don’t care what your reasoning is, you are wrong to do so and this is not the venue to argue semantics.

So let's talk about some gay shit! (and trans shit and bi shit and ace shit and every other kind.)

2mei8wmp8nue.pngolecnhmsja3v.png

(Intro text from @Kwoaru, pictures from Buzzfeed coverage of the Women's Marches on 1/21/17)

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Good thread is good

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Only a Cis Lord deals in absolutes.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    I missed dis thread

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Aw, man, now I'm bummed its not Tuesday.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »

At least it's Brunch Gay today though!

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    There were so many LGBT youth at the Salt Lake protests yesterday and Friday, and I just wanted to tell them all how proud I was of them, since it took me until my 30s to be even a little bit out. But then I imagined them going "this big goofy lumberjack lookin mofo is hugging me and sobbing out of nowhere, where's my pepper spray?!", and just shut up except for joining the chanting.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Is it okay if I am Brunch Gay on Sundays, usually?

Also I am so very proud of all my QUILTBAGs who are protesting. You're all amazing and so very inspiring.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

Every day can be Taco Tuesday if you just believe hard enough.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    These alternative facts are destroying the sacred institution of Taco Tuesday

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »

Every day can be Taco Tuesday if you just believe hard enough.

Or soft enough. I embrace taco diversity.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Is this a cunnilingus joke

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Is this a cunnilingus joke

If you want it to be, but I'm referring to actual tacos.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    But it's also inclusive of penilingus too. It's humor that punches up, not down!

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    ...sorry I just learned a bunch of social justice buzz words and wanted to use them somewhere

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Note: the tacos are also gay

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
  • Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I will preface this by saying I am fairly cut off from current events where I am. I didn't know anything about any marches until all these pictures and tweets started popping up everywhere. I get that they are protests against what Trump stands for, but I've seen tons of pictures of men marching and people seem to be supporting all sorts of issues like LGBT stuff and BLM stuff. So I am just wondering why they are specifically being called Women's Marches?

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    I will preface this by saying I am fairly cut off from current events where I am. I didn't know anything about any marches until all these pictures and tweets started popping up everywhere. I get that they are protests against what Trump stands for, but I've seen tons of pictures of men marching and people seem to be supporting all sorts of issues like LGBT stuff and BLM stuff. So I am just wondering why they are specifically being called Women's Marches?

Because my feminism will be intersectional, and all issues are feminist issues.
    I'm so proud of DC on Saturday. Half a million people were on the streets peacefully and went home peacefully.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    PsycohedPsycohed On a Fool's ErrandRegistered User regular
    Gay is here to stay, you say? Hurray, o fabulous day!

brig_banner.png
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular

I suspect this is becoming a primary rallying point for anti-Trump sentiment because, of all the shitty things about him, his treatment of women offends the broadest span of people. The breaking point for a lot of moderates and even many conservatives seems to have been when he was caught on tape bragging about molesting women. If you want the biggest possible turnout for the protest, phrasing it in terms of "OUR PRESIDENT IS A CONFESSED RAPIST" is a pretty effective plan.

But then under that primary rallying cause, everybody who's pissed about other things about him shows up too.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I say that LGBT and BLM stuff isn't at all tangential to Women's Rights
    and instead should be at the front and center of it

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I didn't mean to suggest that women's rights, black rights, and lgbt rights aren't related. Only asking why all of those things were being put under the heading of Woman's March. Like I said I knew literally nothing about the build-up to any of it.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I didn't mean to suggest that women's rights, black rights, and lgbt rights aren't related. Only asking why all of those things were being put under the heading of Woman's March. Like I said I knew literally nothing about the build-up to any of it.

Because it was a protest march begun and organized by women to protest the anti-women's rights policies of this conservative administration.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

I'm not exactly up on the details either, but I believe the whole thing started with either a couple of women or a women's organization deciding to put together a protest march. Hence Women's March.

It, uhm... kind of grew a bit bigger than originally envisioned. But the name stayed the same.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    ah okay, sorry

I've been sorta turnt up the past few days

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Ditto, I walked around the white house yesterday to see the signs. The vibe up there is so tense.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    I'm honestly proud of a lot of the protesting done on inaugeration day

the demonstrations (yes, even the ones where they smashed windows, trash cans, and lit a limo on fire) was a good reminder that some folk will throw their bodies in the way of people like me and oppression

after a year of election coverage obfuscating this, with two parties who I knew didn't have my best interests at heart, it's REALLY important to me

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »

the demonstrations (yes, even the ones where they smashed windows, trash cans, and lit a limo on fire) was a good reminder that some folk will throw their bodies in the way of people like me and oppression

after a year of election coverage obfuscating this, with two parties who I knew didn't have my best interests at heart, it's REALLY important to me

The inauguration day protesting takes a bit of a sour tone for me, as a friend of mine was one of the people arrested (and charged with a felony, on top of that).

Like, I'm hella proud of everyone, absolutely, but every time I think of it I am also inevitably thinking of that.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I really like "Respect your sisters, not just your cis-ters.

And yes the crimes most of the two hundred or so protesters arrested in DC are pretty bullshit.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

The inauguration day protesting takes a bit of a sour tone for me, as a friend of mine was one of the people arrested (and charged with a felony, on top of that).

Like, I'm hella proud of everyone, absolutely, but every time I think of it I am also inevitably thinking of that.

Is there any chance the charge gets dismissed?

• Options
    I'm thinking "no" and I know a bunch of folks are potentially facing up to a decade in prison.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it doesn't seem terribly likely that it would get dismissed. It's a nasty bit of business, and I'm hoping she can fight it, but at this point I don't have a great idea of what's going on.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    old contact of mine, Jamahl Kersey, was willing to help protesters pro bono if arrested during the inauguration. caveat: it's only if the person was engaged in "peaceful protest"; still worth a shot at contacting him. he's based in San Diego: http://www.kerseylawoffice.com/

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Honestly, I'm pretty glad that for the past few months my rage has mostly been blocking out my fear.

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

shit, and they went fucking hard on the charges they're swinging around

my <3s to you and your friend

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    WokeBaby is a pretty strong username

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

I'm not exactly up on the details either, but I believe the whole thing started with either a couple of women or a women's organization deciding to put together a protest march. Hence Women's March.

It, uhm... kind of grew a bit bigger than originally envisioned. But the name stayed the same.

The march started as two independent facebook events started by white women. It quickly became clear that this was bigger than a facebook meetup, and the two women, counter to a lot of how these sorts of things go, realized that hosting a march around a social issue was likely to be hosting a march around the way that social issue affected white people.

They immediately and actively courted the voices of minority women to fight this tendency, including involving those voices at the top of the organization. This meant that intersectionality ended up much more front and center than it would have, traditionally.

However, since the original idea was called the Women's March, and the bulk of the intersectional issues raised did intersect on women, the name stayed.

EDIT: For clarification on how everything got started

Narbus on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I heard that the march was started by lgbt woc?

Gvzbgul on
This discussion has been closed.