Options

Nintendo Switch: No Zelda Talk Here

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    I'm thinking there could be additional hardware in the dock and will be unconvinced until someone does a teardown for the following reasons:

1. The crazy price.

2. The Switch works harder in docked mode, so it should produce more heat, which will be harder to dissipate sandwiched inside that dock.

3. There has to be a way for the Switch to know it is in the dock and not just plugged in to a generic USB C hub.

Eh, for 3) it'd be really, really, really simple. Hell, you can do the same thing on a tablet for $8.

Not really much of anything inside of it, apart from the connectors we already know about.

http://nintendotoday.com/nintendo-switch-dock/ has some pictures and video of the inside. It actually opens up.

I don't see any reason why the Switch would need to care whether it's in the dock or plugged into a generic USB C hub. Besides $90.

edit: Which pretty much everyone has already said, I guess.

To know whether or not to have the screen on.

If it's in the dock, it obviously wants to only have video going to the TV. If it's not plugged in/is handheld, it should obviously only have video on the built-in screen.

Where should it have video if it's just plugged in? And more importantly, how does IT know that? "Handheld, plugged into power" is a reasonable use case for sure, and it needs to be able to distinguish between "plugged in, undocked" and "plugged in, docked" without requiring Joe and Susie User to jump through any hoops to make it go.

Detected HDMI connection?

• Options
    b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    Since the Switch has a relatively short battery life, and I plan on using mine pretty extensively, I'm considering updating my portable power bank situation. Anyone here have any experience with the Anker Power Core Speed 10,000 with Quick Charge 3.0? Seems reasonably priced, and most of the newest features. The only thing I think I'd like to have that it doesn't, is possibly a USB C input, for quick charging of the actual power bank. But I'm not sure those have made it into the products yet.

My phone already uses quick charge and it's great, so I know I at least want that, and I want a new power bank before PAX East since I'll be bringing my switch with me

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I wonder if my local Wal-mart still has Metroid: Other M for $50...

(Basically it never got a discount outside of a temp sale, so it's been sitting there, full price, for YEARS)

I can beat that. We've got a copy of Disney's Magical Mirror Starting Mickey Mouse for the GAMECUBE sitting around in our store somewhere that's still full price.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Mine has other m at $30 right now.

No I don't.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    I'm thinking there could be additional hardware in the dock and will be unconvinced until someone does a teardown for the following reasons:

1. The crazy price.

2. The Switch works harder in docked mode, so it should produce more heat, which will be harder to dissipate sandwiched inside that dock.

3. There has to be a way for the Switch to know it is in the dock and not just plugged in to a generic USB C hub.

Eh, for 3) it'd be really, really, really simple. Hell, you can do the same thing on a tablet for $8.

Not really much of anything inside of it, apart from the connectors we already know about.

http://nintendotoday.com/nintendo-switch-dock/ has some pictures and video of the inside. It actually opens up.

I don't see any reason why the Switch would need to care whether it's in the dock or plugged into a generic USB C hub. Besides $90.

edit: Which pretty much everyone has already said, I guess.

To know whether or not to have the screen on.

If it's in the dock, it obviously wants to only have video going to the TV. If it's not plugged in/is handheld, it should obviously only have video on the built-in screen.

Where should it have video if it's just plugged in? And more importantly, how does IT know that? "Handheld, plugged into power" is a reasonable use case for sure, and it needs to be able to distinguish between "plugged in, undocked" and "plugged in, docked" without requiring Joe and Susie User to jump through any hoops to make it go.

Detected HDMI connection?

Probably.

Or even just a little sensor in the connector part that plugs in to the dock that detects a current would do the trick.

As cool as the Switch is the whole, uh, switching aspect is pretty old hat tech wise. Like I said an $8 cable lets you do the same thing with a tablet or smartphone (provided it isn't Apple). Nintendo just uses it to neat effect in a console.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    b1rdman wrote: »
    Since the Switch has a relatively short battery life, and I plan on using mine pretty extensively, I'm considering updating my portable power bank situation. Anyone here have any experience with the Anker Power Core Speed 10,000 with Quick Charge 3.0? Seems reasonably priced, and most of the newest features. The only thing I think I'd like to have that it doesn't, is possibly a USB C input, for quick charging of the actual power bank. But I'm not sure those have made it into the products yet.

My phone already uses quick charge and it's great, so I know I at least want that, and I want a new power bank before PAX East since I'll be bringing my switch with me

There's a lot of "stuff' in there.

Quickcharge 3.0 doesn't actually fully support USB C. We can get super technical with this but Quickcharge 1-3 hijack USB data pins for power, which goes agaainst the USB C spec. There are phones that have USB C ports and quickcharge 3.0, but those phones are not properly USB C compliant.

If you want to buy a power bank with a USB C port, just make sure that that port supports 5V/3A, which means it supports USB Power Delivery, which is the standard "fast" charging method for modern USB peripherals. This will mean through the USB C port it will both charge itself, and other devices, using the standard.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I don't know enough about power so I am concerned about harming my device with an under or overpowered bank.

Without it being released yet are there safe models that one could suggest would be optimal with the Switch?

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I don't know enough about power so I am concerned about harming my device with an under or overpowered bank.

Without it being released yet are there safe models that one could suggest would be optimal with the Switch?

probably better off waiting for the switch to come out and let somebody else guinea pig the switch with a power bank

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

probably better off waiting for the switch to come out and let somebody else guinea pig the switch with a power bank

Haha, very sound advice. ;)

• Options

just looking on Amazon, and here is a 5000 mAH battery with a single USB C port, should be pretty portable, and could fully charge the switch once

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Portable-Charger-5000mAh-Google/dp/B01NAH6KLB/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487559372&sr=8-2&keywords=aukey+usb+c+battery

If you want something bigger and better with a USB C port, you can look at this

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Ultra-High-Capacity-VoltageBoost/dp/B014ZO46LK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1487559451&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+c+battery

Look at the size though, it's long and narrow, not for everyone. Can charge the switch 4 times.

With that being said, if you don't want/need one that has it's own USB C port, any power bank with a USB port will do the trick, you just need a regular USB to USB C cable. That's the most "universal" option.

as an aside, I'm actually super jealous about the first option. We dont' have that tube style charger with USB C in Canada yet. I'd buy one in a heartbeat, since I have a phone with USB C and that would be perfect for carrying around.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Mine has other m at $30 right now.

What a ripoff.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    That's some great insight I did not think of. I guess I may wait it out and see what will work best. Like I said I have one currently, but wanted an upgrade. As I think everything will be upgraded to the USB C standard soon, I bet the power bank market will start adjusting to that as well. Thanks for the info.

Hopefully the newer USB C devices, ie the Switch and power banks, work like my phone, and quick charge automatically because it really makes a difference. Does anyone know if the Switch will work like the newest Android phones that charge most of their battery in the first 15 minutes?

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    That's some great insight I did not think of. I guess I may wait it out and see what will work best. Like I said I have one currently, but wanted an upgrade. As I think everything will be upgraded to the USB C standard soon, I bet the power bank market will start adjusting to that as well. Thanks for the info.

Hopefully the newer USB C devices, ie the Switch and power banks, work like my phone, and quick charge automatically because it really makes a difference. Does anyone know if the Switch will work like the newest Android phones that charge most of their battery in the first 15 minutes?

This might sound weird, but honestly quick charge is bad for batteries and not something someone should want in a device they plan to own over the longer term. the faster charge rates generate more heat which is worse for the batteries in the long term. For a phone we replace every couple years it's less of an issue but on a device like a switch where conceivably someone could own it for 5+ years, you don't want un-necessary wear on the battery.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    A french blog has apparently posted the file sizes from the games of the eShop at launch. If that is accurate, Dragon Quest Heroes is 32 gigs. :o

https://www.nintendo-town.fr/2017/02/19/la-taille-des-jeux-nintendo-switch-sur-leshop

F28tNyN.png

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

This might sound weird, but honestly quick charge is bad for batteries and not something someone should want in a device they plan to own over the longer term. the faster charge rates generate more heat which is worse for the batteries in the long term. For a phone we replace every couple years it's less of an issue but on a device like a switch where conceivably someone could own it for 5+ years, you don't want un-necessary wear on the battery.

Not to discount what you are saying, because you probably know more about battery tech than I do, but I feel like every few years I hear a new thing that is "bad" for batteries. Whether it is charging before it's fully depleted, letting it get fully depleted, overcharging or leaving it plugged in too long, etc. And then I also always hear the opposite from other sources, saying that newer battery tech has been built to not worry about such issues and you can do whatever you want to them. Usually, I just stop caring about my charging habits because if I don't, I'll just constantly overthink it and lose my mind. Besides batteries are always replaceable, like someone pointed out earlier about the switch one not being soldered, so that's an option. And also, in the case of the Switch, wouldn't the issue you bring up also be of concern with the Switch always being docked to play as a home console? Wouldn't that wreak havok on the battery if it was constantly charging?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    A french blog has apparently posted the file sizes from the games of the eShop at launch. If that is accurate, Dragon Quest Heroes is 32 gigs. :o

https://www.nintendo-town.fr/2017/02/19/la-taille-des-jeux-nintendo-switch-sur-leshop

F28tNyN.png

Sucks for that game, Switch after format and whatever system files are on there isn't even the full 32 Gigs...

Also, is Bomberman not going to be on the eShop at launch? Or is it just mysteriously missing from this list. Seems like the type of game I'd want always on the console, and I assumed it was going to be there at launch.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Profound sadness...

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
  • Options
    edzepp wrote: »
    The son must take his father's place.

And the father must be heavily discounted to make my collection/backlog bigger.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

That's why most phones only quick charge to about 70%, though. At least my Pixel does, as did my Note7 before lulz.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edzepp wrote: »
    The son must take his father's place.

And the father must be heavily discounted to make my collection/backlog bigger.

The best thing about death is the low, low prices!

• Options
    Also, I have an order with Play Asia now, so that's my backup in case my local can't come through.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I've got two of the Anker 20k power banks, one of the old style without USB-C, then the other one linked earlier.

Honestly? They're pretty great. They make larger ones too but really these aren't that huge. I'll definitely have one with me whenever I take my Switch elsewhere. They're a pretty "known" battery bank so it's doubtful it'll harm your battery.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular

F28tNyN.png

Sucks for that game, Switch after format and whatever system files are on there isn't even the full 32 Gigs...

Also, is Bomberman not going to be on the eShop at launch? Or is it just mysteriously missing from this list. Seems like the type of game I'd want always on the console, and I assumed it was going to be there at launch. [/quote]

Well, that list being for 'launch' is inaccurate anyhow since we've heard the Disgaea 5 release date as being in May and it's listed in there, so they may have games missing from the list as well as added.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    I've got two of the Anker 20k power banks, one of the old style without USB-C, then the other one linked earlier.

Honestly? They're pretty great. They make larger ones too but really these aren't that huge. I'll definitely have one with me whenever I take my Switch elsewhere. They're a pretty "known" battery bank so it's doubtful it'll harm your battery.

Is there any reason it wouldn't work with the switch?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
      The Nintendo Account website got a slight upgrade - you can now use parental controls from that website to set up restrictions for a child account (though I think those will only work on the Switch, not on the 3DS and Wii U), see a list of purchases associated with your account, get friend suggestions if you use multiple services that use Nintendo Accounts (i.e. Nintendo's mobile games the Switch), change the language of the website without having to change your set country of residence as well, and a couple other things.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    • Options
      Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
      Hmm, not all of that is new - A few months ago, while fiddling with my kid sister's 3DSXL, Nintendo poked me about child accounts, and she's been filed under mine since.

The actual Parental Controls section is new to me, but it's possible I just skipped it back then.
      Looks like it applies to the 3DS (And I assume Wii U, but she's not linked there.) just fine.
      'course, now that I look at it, she's listed twice with two account names, so now I'm going to have to figure out what I did wrong.

I've also been using the English version of the site since forever, and never changed my location from the Netherlands.

• Options
      SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »

Nope, none.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
      XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    • Options
      Entaru wrote: »
      TimFiji wrote: »

Nope, none.

Well I'll be snagging this soon!

• Options
        cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
        All our Wii U stuff is on clearance right now at walmart.

So if you want some cheap Wiimotes right now they have em cheaper.

I've been patiently waiting every day to see when we get our Switches in. Mainly just so I can see how many we get, and if I can switch to a red/blue one from the grey preorder I have (we didn't have any red/blue preorders available at all).

Huh. Looks like this is a widespread thing. Makes sense now that the console isn't being produced anymore, but still seems sudden.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
      • Options

Not to discount what you are saying, because you probably know more about battery tech than I do, but I feel like every few years I hear a new thing that is "bad" for batteries. Whether it is charging before it's fully depleted, letting it get fully depleted, overcharging or leaving it plugged in too long, etc. And then I also always hear the opposite from other sources, saying that newer battery tech has been built to not worry about such issues and you can do whatever you want to them. Usually, I just stop caring about my charging habits because if I don't, I'll just constantly overthink it and lose my mind. Besides batteries are always replaceable, like someone pointed out earlier about the switch one not being soldered, so that's an option. And also, in the case of the Switch, wouldn't the issue you bring up also be of concern with the Switch always being docked to play as a home console? Wouldn't that wreak havok on the battery if it was constantly charging?

I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying. I generally don't overthink things either when it comes to batteries and charging, but the one universal thing is that heat = bad. Quick charge methods increase the voltages and/or current, which increases heat, which is bad for the battery in the longer term. I'm 100% convinced this is why apple hasn't adopted a fast charge method yet.

Again, my phone has USB C Power delivery, and I use the fast charge method on it every day. I don't think twice because I'll probably be replacing my phone after about 2 years of use. If the switch's battery is difficult/impossible to replace, it's going to suck if the battery is degraded to 60% of total life after 2-3 years.

• Options
        Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
        cloudeagle wrote: »
        All our Wii U stuff is on clearance right now at walmart.

So if you want some cheap Wiimotes right now they have em cheaper.

I've been patiently waiting every day to see when we get our Switches in. Mainly just so I can see how many we get, and if I can switch to a red/blue one from the grey preorder I have (we didn't have any red/blue preorders available at all).

Huh. Looks like this is a widespread thing. Makes sense now that the console isn't being produced anymore, but still seems sudden.

We haven't had a Wii U in stock since December. It's kinda nuts.

No I don't.
      • Options
        IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
        I'm curious what 1 2 Switch download size is going to be... You'd think being a mini game thing it might be kinda smallish but there are all those videos it uses to introduce the mini games so it might actually be pretty large.

steam_sig.png
        Nintendo ID: Incindium
        PSN: IncindiumX
      • Options
        LindLind Registered User regular
        edited February 2017
        Short 30 fps 1080p movies dont actually take all that much room. My guess is 3-4GB.

Lind on
      • Options
      • Options
        Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
        Only 12 days till glory! I'm trying to make the time go by faster by watching Switch videos but it's not working!

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
        Resident 8bitdo expert.
        Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
      • Options
        urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
        I ordered that 128GB card but then decided to cancel it. I have a 64GB sitting at home unused right now.. I'll just use that for now. I'm not really planning on going all digital anytime soon.

• Options
        SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
        I am pulling my 128 that I bought for the 3DS. I have a 32 gb I can use in it that will be more than enough.

I had this huge intention of going only digital that never really happened with the 3DS.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
        XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
      • Options
        urahonky wrote: »
        I ordered that 128GB card but then decided to cancel it. I have a 64GB sitting at home unused right now.. I'll just use that for now. I'm not really planning on going all digital anytime soon.

I wonder if we can multi-card.

That would be kinda awesome. I have a crapload of 64gig cards floating around.

• Options

Doesn't it need to be USB-C? I'm not the most knowledgeable on this.

This discussion has been closed.