As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ultima: [chat] of the Avatar

JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp.I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
edited February 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
FORSOOTH TRAVELLERS

I AM PLAYING YON VINTAGE 1980S RPGS WRITTEN IN GLORIOUS KING JAMES BIBLE-ESE

jhJ9wLm.jpg?1TmlvhPk.jpg?1

GbOJBFW.jpg?1ZAU40Ar.jpg?1

Ultima is a series of open world fantasy role-playing video games from Origin Systems, Inc. Ultima was created by Richard Garriott, a.k.a. Lord British. Several games of the series are considered seminal entries in their genre. Electronic Arts currently own the brand.

The main Ultima series consists of nine installments (the seventh title is further divided into two parts) grouped into three trilogies, or "Ages": The Age of Darkness (Ultima I-III), The Age of Enlightenment (Ultima IV-VI), and The Age of Armageddon (Ultima VII-IX). The last is also sometimes referred to as "The Guardian Saga" after its chief antagonist. The first trilogy is set in a fantasy world named Sosaria, but during the cataclysmic events of The Age of Darkness, it is sundered and three quarters of it vanish. What is left becomes known as Britannia, a realm ruled by the benevolent Lord British, and is where the later games mostly take place. The protagonist in all the games is a canonically male resident of Earth who is called upon by Lord British to protect Sosaria and, later, Britannia from a number of dangers. Originally, the player character was referred to as "the Stranger", but by the end of Ultima IV he becomes universally known as the Avatar.

If you like your Fantasies Finalized and your Gates Baldured and your Effects Massed, this is where it began, with a dude - Richard "Lord British" Garriott, who appears as the king in every game - who programmed the first entry in the series in high school...on punch cards. Tile-based graphics, story- and choice-based roleplaying, the zoom into the battle map, customizable(ish) player characters - all these conventions of both WRPGs and JRPGs are a direct outgrowth of what began as a way to do crude D&D dungeon crawls with graphics.

U1timemachine.gif

The earlier entries in the series are, in a word, bizarre, and often gleefully incoherent in the way that peering into a teenager's Trapper Keeper might be. Ultima I starts you off in a fantasy kingdom being overrun by a Dark Lord and etc etc, but as you play, time passes in the world and technology advances until you trade in your sword +1 for a laser rifle and power armor, blast off into space, and shoot down TIE Fighters before seizing a time machine so you can go back and kill the overlord before he became all-powerful.

Ultima II takes place on Earth in multiple time periods and has you flying a biplane, sneaking past the KGB, and landing a rocket on the swampy fields of Neptune, where a castle full of jesters awaits. I don't even know. Ultima II is really weird.

u4main.PNG

But with Ultima IV, Garriott, who was well into his twenties, decided to see if games were capable of more than hack and slash, and created a story that pits the player, not against a great D&D-style evil, but against the challenge of enlightenment. The goal of Ultima IV is to become, essentially, the Jesus or Buddha of a fantasy kingdom, teaching people by example how to live a better life - healing the sick, bringing hope to the destitute, pondering ethical riddles. This does also still involve throwing magic axes at demons occasionally, but this fits my own personal definition of "a better life" quite nicely, so...

6mtbPZn.png?1

Subsequent games deepen and broaden the world, turning it from a teenager's D&D kingdom into a charming, quirky place with its own identity, style, and traditions. The codified system of Eight Virtues became a cornerstone of the series, as did a conversation parser that let players "speak" directly to NPCs rather than choosing prewritten lines of dialogue. The gameplay features turn-based tactical combat, but with Ultima IV and subsequent entries, combat is deemphasized in favor of conversation and puzzle-solving. The world becomes less of a shooting gallery and more of a lived-in place where the point of the game is to talk to poeple and try to comport oneself ethically while navigating a series of mysteries.

The series hit its high point with the darker turn taken by Ultima VII, which helped usher in the beginnings of what we might consider the modern age of computer RPGs - the first Fallout and the first Elder Scrolls were only a couple of years away. Sadly, the two sequels to VII kind of dropped the ball in various ways and the series was thoroughly EA'd out of existence, though Garriott is working on a spiritual successor.

I finished IV last week and have been working through V; they're still pretty great games! You can pick them up on GOG for, like, two nickels and some pocket lint. If you want to earn some real xxhardcorexx cred, give them a try - you might be surprised by how much fun you have.

Jacobkosh on

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    150 octane fuel is some black magic. It's the only reason the griffon engine put out the power it dis

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Now we see the violence inherent in the system

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
  • Options
    A clip from Jeffe's favorite movie, Vampire Dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrJ6QULf1QY

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ultima 4 was basically my intro to RPG's back when I was just wee, so in a way it's to blame for all of ..

well,

<--- This

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    You can't seize the means of chat production when you already control the reigns of chat production.

That's not how the revolution works!

That's not how any of this works!

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

They made a cartoon out of the original movie?

• Options
    Feral wrote: »
    You can't seize the means of chat production when you already control the reigns of chat production.

That's not how the revolution works!

That's not how any of this works!

He subverted the revolution. It happens.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Now we see the violence inherent in the system

Now now, just humor grandpa, he likes to talk about his old timey games

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I do wish we'd see a *proper* spiritual sequel to Ultima (in my case, the fifth, sixth and seventh game in particular). Some of what made the series for me has been replicated by other games, but I've yet to recapture the feeling of playing Ultima VII.

Signed,
    an Ultima Dragon, and proud(ish)* of it

*Of course it still hurts that they named the Collector's Edition of Ultima IX after us dragons, and look how that game turned out...

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »

They made a cartoon out of the original movie?

Yes.

• Options
    The weird thing is they made all the white people from the movie into Asians for the cartoon.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    The weird thing is they made all the white people from the movie into Asians for the cartoon.

What about the blue people?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

What did they do to with blue people?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »

What about the blue people?

They got on antidepressants

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

I guess we should be used to the racism of political correctness by now. When will my people be free?

• Options

I guess we should be used to the racism of political correctness by now. When will my people be free?

When you boot the Windsors out of that drafty old barn they call a palace.

• Options

When you boot the Windsors out of that drafty old barn they call a palace.

The Bogarts shall rule fairly and strictly, first Harry Potter must be bought to them to appease Lord Voldemort.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    speaking of that

I was - well still am I've been distracted - watching Dr Strange

when he gets mugged in kathmandu for some reason it's three americans

not like sent by someone it's just regular ass american muggers, for some reason hanging out in kathmandu.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I only played Ultima Online. My main dude was a wizard and also ostrich tamer.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    speaking of that

I was - well still am I've been distracted - watching Dr Strange

when he gets mugged in kathmandu for some reason it's three americans

not like sent by someone it's just regular ass american muggers, for some reason hanging out in kathmandu.

I know that's my favorite way to spend my vacation

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Ultima's plot is amazing. IV is about founding a new religion to guide the people of Britannia in a world with a lack of an ultimate evil. Then V-VII are about how you fucked everything up by doing that.

• Options

welp

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

What did they do to with blue people?

They were given 2 options:

1- Form a drum group
    2- Dabedi Debeda

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Queen Liz lives in Buckingham
    Cameron lives for fucking ham

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I'm on the early shift in work

I was awake at 6am and I do not feel human

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Just venting don't mind me:

Montrose & Westheimer is one of the most important intersections in Houston. It is the intersection of the two main commercial streets which form the heart of our most vibrant urban neighborhood, with the largest concentration of culture, entertainment, nightlife, and fine dining. One of the only places in Houston dense enough where it's actually worth walking to get around instead of driving. This is where I would tell people to go if they wanted to experience what Houston has to offer.

It looks like this.
    4Yh8Fvr.jpg

This fucking city

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options

welp

this changes my perception of PETA... in no way whatsoever they've always been silly as shit

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Reddit is having a pretty funny, "Most unexpected references in anime" thread

Gintama episode 225 is titled "So in the Second Season of Prison Break, They've Already Broken out of Prison, but the Name Works Once You Realize That Society Is a Prison"

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    's mah burfday

• Options
    's mah burfday

Into the nutrient vats.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    's mah burfday

Trump got you a present!

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    AHAHAH holy shit the cock physics in Conan

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    's mah burfday

Trump got you a present!

Looks really tacky

• Options
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Yeah, that horn is loud

I was on the bridge when it sounded

• Options
    https://youtu.be/tozLXITozeU

this hotel ad keeps popping up on youtube

I don't quite understand what they wish me to do in their rooms

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Neat a bunch of the more famous Twitch people are all in a huge Conan server, except some of them are stream sniping and well thats no fun

This discussion has been closed.