As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PSN] Thread

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I thought Darkest Dungeon controlled like trash

I'm practically never envious of PC controls but I was in that case

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    5 Hours to update Destiny! Who knew that so much in that game had changed since the disc came out?
    So much has changed, most notably all of the ghost lines were re-recorded, and you're talking about two "small" expansions from Year 1 and two larger ones with all new areas (one at the beginning of Y2 and another at the beginning of Y3). Unfortunately, all of that is paid DLC and is not available on disc, so you needed to download all of that stuff even if you can't get to it. With that being said, base Destiny can still offer some fun, and the whole package goes on sale somewhat regularly now that all of the content is out. Just don't expect to find many people to play with in the base content.

I was going to play it all on my own anyway so I don't really care about the DLC stuff or that everyone's moved on.

That's how i'll play Destiny 2 as well even if I pick it up near its release.

Just a note, Destiny DLC isn't optional side stuff. Think of it as content patches or expansions for an MMO.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Sure but if I play it entirely single player how much of that will I experience? Isn't the main thing the big raids they add?

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Sure but if I play it entirely single player how much of that will I experience? Isn't the main thing the big raids they add?

No, the 3 DLC packs (Dark Below, House of Wolves, and Rise of Iron) all add fairly significant story mission arcs and at least 1 strike a piece, not to mention that you'll be locked out of most of the end game stuff (Nightfalls, Strike playlists) without them.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Boooooooo these helmet options. "Off in non-combat areas" or "always on"

Where's "always off" goddammit.

*Fart noises*

E: At this point I should probably go to the Destiny thread

Aistan on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    Does anyone use or has anyone used the PS4 camera as a mic? I've gone headphone only in my current set up and a USB mic is my only option for voice chat. I could buy a cheap USB mic, but if the PS4 camera has good audio quality (I'll be playing in a quiet environment) I'll gladly spend the extra $25 to not have to deal with two cords going across my room.

I use it all the time.

Every now and then the person Im chatting with complains they get an echo (I assume because I have the camera directly under the TV), and lowering the volume a bit helps them out.

But I use it primarily and no one has complained.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    PS4 controls for Darkest Dungeon are perfectly fine and in no way diminishes its fun factor. The Vita controls, while a huge step down from PS4, still are not enough to make me hostile towards that game. It is 100% worth picking up, even at full price.

Just to note, there was a patch a month or so after the initial Vita release that addressed some of the more egregious control issues. In case people are reporting on the initial controls.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Does anyone use or has anyone used the PS4 camera as a mic? I've gone headphone only in my current set up and a USB mic is my only option for voice chat. I could buy a cheap USB mic, but if the PS4 camera has good audio quality (I'll be playing in a quiet environment) I'll gladly spend the extra $25 to not have to deal with two cords going across my room.

I use it all the time.

Every now and then the person Im chatting with complains they get an echo (I assume because I have the camera directly under the TV), and lowering the volume a bit helps them out.

My buddy that I play with uses the camera mic and it's pretty awful tbh in terms of echo and feedback. Drives us all nuts when we're all playing Overwatch together. It picks up way too much ambient noise.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Destiny has changed dramatically for the better since launch - they added a ton of content to the base experience. It is a much better game now. Still makes me mad, but if you haven't touched it before it probably won't make you as mad as it has made me over the past few years.

We felt exactly the oppposite. they straight up ruined the game we fell in love with at launch. it just turned into sheer crap.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    PS4 controls for Darkest Dungeon are perfectly fine and in no way diminishes its fun factor. The Vita controls, while a huge step down from PS4, still are not enough to make me hostile towards that game. It is 100% worth picking up, even at full price.

Or they;'re awful and absolutely do. I play on PC and PS4 and I still regularly can't find the three button combo necessary to make something happen and trying to find it does something completely different. I've never had a full party wipe on PC; I've had several on PS4 all based on incorrect button presses.

but if it's the only platform you can play it on hell yes get it even with that.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Thanks all.

I can get on PC if that's where it's best, I've just been favoring ps4 for multiplatform games because it's much easier to have something on in the background and still hang out with my family.

And I can take advantage of suspend. Glorious, glorious suspend.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Boooooooo these helmet options. "Off in non-combat areas" or "always on"

Where's "always off" goddammit.

*Fart noises*

E: At this point I should probably go to the Destiny thread
    This might be literally the worst time to go to the Destiny thread, given that it is D2 Beta week.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    mxmarks wrote: »

I use it all the time.

My buddy that I play with uses the camera mic and it's pretty awful tbh in terms of echo and feedback. Drives us all nuts when we're all playing Overwatch together. It picks up way too much ambient noise.

I'm going to give it a try. Worst case I return it and try something else. I finally found a USB lav mic on amazon with a 6ft cord, so if the camera sounds terrible in my room I have another option.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Trying out the Andromeda PS4 demo and wow, it really is as bad as I've read. The writing is atrocious and it's glitchy AF, one of the base's crew's heads keeps changing size (amusingly enough it's the 'my face is tired' lady that this happens to, I've never been so tired I can't maintain facial cohesion), and the scene where the halo-head alien first appears could have been set to Yakety-sax because he'd get kind of stuck, then speedwalk to catch up. The basic gameplay seems decent at least, and supposedly the writing does get better as you go along, but it'll have to be on sale for a lot more than it already is to get me to go in for it.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Trying out the Andromeda PS4 demo and wow, it really is as bad as I've read. The writing is atrocious and it's glitchy AF, one of the base's crew's heads keeps changing size (amusingly enough it's the 'my face is tired' lady that this happens to, I've never been so tired I can't maintain facial cohesion), and the scene where the halo-head alien first appears could have been set to Yakety-sax because he'd get kind of stuck, then speedwalk to catch up. The basic gameplay seems decent at least, and supposedly the writing does get better as you go along, but it'll have to be on sale for a lot more than it already is to get me to go in for it.

I think Andromeda dipped to $20 during some sale or another, and given the rumors it did so badly Bioware is (at least temporarily) shelving the series, it probably won't be long until it hits $20 permanently.

I'm a big Mass Effect fan and I can't bring myself to try that game. Might be better to hold onto the good memories...

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

The game's been improved a lot through patches graphically and QoL gameplay stuff, but it's still just a massive let down. The bandwagon hate the game received when it launched was ridiculous for sure. Almost all of the "look at the silly messed up walking animation" gifs were completely fabricated. I was defending the game back then out of pure annoyance, but it actually turned out to be one of the biggest gaming disappointments ever for me.

There are still a lot of bugs and glitches (real ones like you describe, not the ones idiots made up to get points on Reddit), the story and writing are bad, and the open-world bloat absolutely kills it. There is no reason at all for Mass Effect to be open-world. It ruins the pacing of the story, and turns every map into the same boring place, only with different weather effects. Combat, and creating your own custom build was aces, though. At least that was fun. So yeah... I'd wait for deeeep deeeeep discounts before picking Andromeda up, and I say that as someone who thinks the first three games are the best games ever made.

Very sad that my favorite franchise has been killed off... Hopefully it isnt permanent and they learn from their mistakes.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I was still considering Andromeda because I figured a lot of the initial backlash was probably blown way out of proportion, and that a lot of games are getting fixed up post-release with QOL patches. But now it's 4 months later, the game's patched up, and the comments are still overwhelmingly negative. This isn't just people jumping on the hate-bandwagon anymore.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I liked Andromeda, but as someone who ranked the previous trilogy as 8/10 - 10/10 - 9/10 (my ratings for 1, 2, and 3 respectively), this one being a 7/10 disappointed me a bit.

It's still worth playing for a few great missions and some fun squad interactions, though. It's just too big for its own good. It needed a trim and EA demanded a bloat instead.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Undertale PS4/Vita has a release date: August 15

It's Cross Buy too

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Dirty wrote: »
    I was still considering Andromeda because I figured a lot of the initial backlash was probably blown way out of proportion, and that a lot of games are getting fixed up post-release with QOL patches. But now it's 4 months later, the game's patched up, and the comments are still overwhelmingly negative. This isn't just people jumping on the hate-bandwagon anymore.

How many of those people are new players giving it a try, and how many are the original players still banging that hate drum because they are full of hate?

Andromeda is fine. The animations were fixed, the faces look better, and neither of those things were that big a deal in the first place. The story is just ok, but the characters are kinda neat and it's nice to have a main character who is entirely unlike Shepard. Sara Ryder is a huge fucking dork and it is fantastic.

It also has the most enjoyable combat gameplay in the series for me.

E: Realized this is the PSN thread. I have no idea how the PS4 version is working, to be fair. Maybe it has problems the PC one doesn't, I was only speaking to the general complaints on the game.

Aistan on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Andromeda is not a terrible game, but I found it extremely disappointing and it focused a little too much on quantity rather than quality content. It just feels stretched out and boring for a lot of what I played. I put 30-35 hours into it and have had trouble going back because it just felt like a grind.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I bought Andromeda during one of those ridiculous sales, and I haven't mustered up the courage to actually download it yet.

Was hoping that there would be enough content patches to turn it around, and by the time I got to it, it would be a totally different game, but at this point EA seems willing to just kind of let it die and move on.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Andromeda's Multiplayer is still kinda fun though. But the Single Player isn't... I'm going to go start over again after I finish Horizon and FFXII.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Or they;'re awful and absolutely do. I play on PC and PS4 and I still regularly can't find the three button combo necessary to make something happen and trying to find it does something completely different. I've never had a full party wipe on PC; I've had several on PS4 all based on incorrect button presses.

but if it's the only platform you can play it on hell yes get it even with that.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but this is kind of hyperbolic. Left stick moves the party. It also selects commands, while X confirms them. That's pretty much the meat of the game, insofar as combat goes.

I'm not saying the controls are perfect, because they aren't. But the game isn't unplayable or anything. It takes maybe ten minutes to get used to it, if that. If you're used to PC controls for it, that's an issue, sure. What is it you have trouble with on PS4? I might be overlooking something.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Already preordered.

26904.png
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Aaaaaaaand there's the last PSP game I wanted that hadn't yet been ported to something else.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I wonder if the usage went up for the platforms they're about to drop.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I wonder if the usage went up for the platforms they're about to drop.

Now has been prominently displayed on the XMB for a few days now, with a big picture of Red Dead. Which is cool and all, but just sell me a PS4 compatible version of the game. I don't want to stream the thing, I want to own it.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I think that's an impossibility. IIRC the custom engine for red dead was a huge piece of hot garbage and they might have also lost the source code.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    I think that's an impossibility. IIRC the custom engine for red dead was a huge piece of hot garbage and they might have also lost the source code.

Alternate answer: buy an Xbox One. :P

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    If I was paying for that service and saw a queue like that I would probably cancel immediately unless it was some odd setup thing and cleared within a minute or so.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

How many of those people are new players giving it a try, and how many are the original players still banging that hate drum because they are full of hate?

Andromeda is fine. The animations were fixed, the faces look better, and neither of those things were that big a deal in the first place. The story is just ok, but the characters are kinda neat and it's nice to have a main character who is entirely unlike Shepard. Sara Ryder is a huge fucking dork and it is fantastic.

E: Realized this is the PSN thread. I have no idea how the PS4 version is working, to be fair. Maybe it has problems the PC one doesn't, I was only speaking to the general complaints on the game.

The PS4 version is borderline broken with close to unplayable frame rates. I did eventually finish it, but the sheer lack of quality control for a major release on the biggest console is just baffling.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Andromeda is far from fine

I waited for it to drop to $20 and still feel like I was overcharged

• Options
    Best Buy's having a PS-focused sale. Horizon's down to $30, $50 off PSVR and a bunch of VR games, and other stuff.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/video-games-and-virtual-reality-20170724

Also controllers are down to $40, which is pretty handy since the rubber's wearing off one of my thumbsticks.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    reVerse wrote: »

The PS4 version is borderline broken with close to unplayable frame rates. I did eventually finish it, but the sheer lack of quality control for a major release on the biggest console is just baffling.

Are you sure you're playing on a PS4? Because I played it on a PS4 to completion in the first month of release and didn't get any of that. Not even a PS4Pro either; one of the 2014 models. Worst problem I had was a save glitch because I saved while driving the buggy. Found a workaround, though, and I didn't lose any progress.

I've been playing other games recently and haven't had a chance to get back to Andromeda, so unless they broke it with a recent patch...

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Best Buy's having a PS-focused sale. Horizon's down to $30, $50 off PSVR and a bunch of VR games, and other stuff.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/video-games-and-virtual-reality-20170724

Also controllers are down to $40, which is pretty handy since the rubber's wearing off one of my thumbsticks.

Are there any recommendations for the VR games on sale? Should I just wait for a better deal on them?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Are you sure you're playing on a PS4? Because I played it on a PS4 to completion in the first month of release and didn't get any of that. Not even a PS4Pro either; one of the 2014 models. Worst problem I had was a save glitch because I saved while driving the buggy. Found a workaround, though, and I didn't lose any progress.

I've been playing other games recently and haven't had a chance to get back to Andromeda, so unless they broke it with a recent patch...

I can confirm that I, too, had framerate issues (in addition to long loading, and multiple crashes) on the PS4 at release. It's why I put the game down. I have a 2015 model.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    As far as I can tell there hasn't been a blog update for the PAL store this week.

Just by looking at the store the new stuff this week is:
    Pyre

Fortnite

Aven Colony

Fallen Legion

Infinite Minigolf

Circuit Breakers

Lost Grimoires

Lawbreakers Beta

Pressure Overdrive

Super Cloudbuilt

Tiny Trax (PSVR)