As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wacom Intuos Pro, good upgrade?

SkyAndPieSkyAndPie Registered User regular
I'm considering buying a new drawing tablet. My current tablet is running about 8 years old (Intuos4). I'm just finding an excuse to get a new Wacom Intuos Pro that they launched in January 2017.
I have no interest in express keys, mouse, dials, or the 'paper mode' in the newer models. I wouldn't also be tied to Wacom brand anything. It seems the market opened up to new competitors the last decade or so.

Has anyone upgraded recently and found it worth getting the new model or found another brand even better?

Diablo 3: SkyAndPie#1551

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I switched from Wacom to the Surface Pro 3 in 2014 and haven't looked back.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Unless you have a reason to replace your current Intuos (i.e. the cord is wearing out and causing issues, you really want a different sized tablet, etc), I personally would avoid grabbing the newest model, only because you'll be spending over $250 to gain absolutely nothing different.

Both your Intuos4 and the Intuos Pro have 2048 pressure levels and 60 degrees of pen tilt recognition. If you're not interested in any of the keys or doodads (I tend not to be interested in these, either) I don't feel like it's worth it.

While there have been competitors, I have yet to hear anybody say that "___ Brand" is actually better than a Wacom. Wacom dominates the market for a reason - though their drivers are a constant source of headaches for many, their products tend to be the best on the market, hands-down. I've heard of a few people getting a Surface or a Yiynova and being more or less happy with them. Personally, I'm happy to stick with Wacom.

I've got an Intuos5, but I purchased a 22HD Cintiq a few years ago. Cintiqs are expensive as hell, but if you're looking for a serious upgrade, that's what I'd recommend. They're absolutely not for everybody though - I do digital art for a living, so I feel like I can justify the cost. Drawing curves, especially, always has seemed easier for me on a Cintiq than on an Intuos. Moving from a standard tablet to a draw-on-the-screen tablet takes a little getting used to, but in the end I much prefer the experience to using an Intuos. That being said, Intuos are still the top of the line product for non-screen-based tablets, IMO.

• Options
    SkyAndPieSkyAndPie Registered User regular
    Awesome, thanks for the advice and saving me $250. Actually I am not a fan of Cintiqs or any of those draw-on displays (crazy, right?). I've tried Cintiq 22", Cintiq 13", and Surface Pro 3 for about a week each but not quite satisfied with the overall experience. If I was spending that much dosh then I better be 100% satisfied.

Diablo 3: SkyAndPie#1551
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    SkyAndPie wrote: »
    Awesome, thanks for the advice and saving me $250. Actually I am not a fan of Cintiqs or any of those draw-on displays (crazy, right?). I've tried Cintiq 22", Cintiq 13", and Surface Pro 3 for about a week each but not quite satisfied with the overall experience. If I was spending that much dosh then I better be 100% satisfied.

I would bet Nightdragon had a similar experience, but cintiqs definitely have an adjustment period and I did not like using it for the first two weeks.

Then its a revelation, and its actually hard to go back to a non draw on display. I personally know many other artists who have been through this.
    But of course, my adjustment period was effectively paid for because they had them at work (and every job I've had since then). I dont know if I would have sunk 2k after that first week either.

Agreed on all of ND's other points. Wacom's hardware is remarkable stable tech wise over the years, and unless your current one is literally falling apart, I wouldnt replace it as it is effectively the exact same.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    haibaohaibao Registered User new member
    I think the Wacom intuos pro is a fine tablet, but pretty expensive .

If money is a concern, perhaps wacom is not for you. Look at buying a XP-Pen Tablet. They are just as feature rich as Wacom and their large tablet Deco Pro ( 11x6 inches ) costs $100. They work very well. They are FAR more affordable.

also they have a drawing tablet with screen line called " xp-pen artist" , let you can draw directly on the screen . just like cintiq but cheaper .