Options

[TALES] of Berseria

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited February 2017 in Social Entropy++
Yes my friends... It's a Tales thread. The conversation about Tales of Berseria has overrun the JRPG thread so we can move the talk to here.

There have been approximately 254 Tales games.

The least famous of them was simply called Tales of Bill.

Tales of Vesperia was the best of them until now.

Now Tales of Berseria is the best.

Magilou demands your respect.

EMEOWCIPATE

Raijin Quickfoot on

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Oh

the sale ended once I had the time and money to play Berseria

who wants to talk about Luke's character arc in Tales of the Abyss?

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I should buy this.

Is it on Xbox? My PS account was hacked and I don't feel like dealing with their customer service department ever.

• Options
    Facebook is letting me know you can now buy maid costumes for Berseria

to go along with the schoolgirl and idolmaster costumes they let me know about last week

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »

to go along with the schoolgirl and idolmaster costumes they let me know about last week

It's like it's pandering right to you. <3

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    I'm hard pressed to think of a set of characters I've enjoyed more, I was reasonably sure I wouldn't see a Tales game I liked more than Vesperia but damn...

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I am not sure I've EVER played a JRPG where I liked every character until this one

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I fucking love Velvet. Talk about a strong female lead. Never expected it from a Tales game.

• Options
    I fucking love Velvet. Talk about a strong female lead. Never expected it from a Tales game.

Millia is a good female lead

But she's not velvet

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I like Velvet cause she's stern but also pretty considerate.

I hate how straightforward and frank sometimes leans into jerk for no reason for a lot of video game characters.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    What I really like about Berseria is how the entire party is doing this whole thing for personal and selfish reasons and they are perfectly okay with that. They're not good people but they are excellent characters who all grow and develop over the course of the story. They have their reasons for why they do things and they won't make apologies for the path they walk. This is not the team of Heroes and it's not a team of Villains either. It's a group of people who all share some common goals and have decided to work together to reach those goals. It's not to save the world or restore balance, if anything they're making things more chaotic, it's because they want to do it for themselves. A very, very atypical JRPG mindset.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    And now the poor JRPG thread will getburred and we won't convince more JRPGers to pick up this game. :(

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    And now the poor JRPG thread will getburred and we won't convince more JRPGers to pick up this game. :(

Talk about other good JRPGS and then toss a subliminal (buy Berseria) in with each one.

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Oh

the sale ended once I had the time and money to play Berseria

who wants to talk about Luke's character arc in Tales of the Abyss?

I'm about 20 hours into Berseria

I still like Abyss' characters more.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    One of my favorite things about the game is the theme of free choice

Late game spoilers
    every character craves free will and the ability to do what the want for different reasons, and then at the end it turns out the entire thing is that the badguy wants to steal free will. It's great.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Still love Luke. He is a great character warts and all.

They all are honestly. I want to play Berseria so bad, but the amount of love people have in describing Berseria's characters is how I always felt about Abyss'

They were all done really well and don't always quite feel like they are all there for each other, just with each other. Well for most of it anyway.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    my impression of velvet is still she is forcing herself not to care about other people but she really wants to. I just left islegard

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I wish I was playing non-Velvet characters more. But when enemies in chain battles have like a 95% proc rate on stuns and status effects it's hard to justify. Status immunity is a hell of a drug.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I'm trying to control magilou because I prefer mages but I end up spending fights running my ass away from everything

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Magilou is fun to use in caster heavy fights where she can just eat everything and then nuke them all into the sun.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    This game is pretty fun. I kinda stalled out on it on
    return to the prison island

but combat is probably the tightest it's been in 3D tales and Velvet's a great character, so I will be back. How far along am I?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So I've never played a Tales game before but I grabbed the demo for this based on the praise.

I don't mind jurpy characters or story at all, but I'm worried I'll get bogged down button mashing in the action combat. I'm used to slower jrpgs with menus, I suppose, though even FF is bucking the trend in favor of action.

Legit point of contention?

Any other tips and tricks to look out for?

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The combat is just ok, so far. Maybe i'll figure out how it works better as I go forward.

I wish maggie lou would stop shouting, but she's wandered off at the moment so it's fine now.

• Options
    So I've never played a Tales game before but I grabbed the demo for this based on the praise.

I don't mind jurpy characters or story at all, but I'm worried I'll get bogged down button mashing in the action combat. I'm used to slower jrpgs with menus, I suppose, though even FF is bucking the trend in favor of action.

Legit point of contention?

Any other tips and tricks to look out for?

Berseria combat is, with Velvet at least, a matter of making preset combo strings in the Artes menu and then hammering one of the four face buttons to pull off the string you think will hit the weak point of the enemy. No need to memorize inputs like a fighting game. If you need to switch things up while already in a fight you can do that too. There's more complexity as well once you work in guarding, guard charges, Break Souls, dodges, and other things that become second nature quickly.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Tales of Vesperia was a good game if you could get over playing as a murderer.

No thanks

Symphonia the best.

Are you murderers in this one?

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular

No thanks

Symphonia the best.

Ha ha

hee

hoo boy

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Man, yeah, this game.

• Options
    It's not murder if they're daemons

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Yukira wrote: »

It's like it's pandering right to you. <3

if it could pander by being 30 dollars again that would be great

• Options
    KetBra wrote: »

So like Batarians, acceptable.

sirtoons.png
  • Options

So like Batarians, acceptable.

It was a joke.

You kill a LOT of people in Berseria. Hell, in one cutscene with Rokurou you see
    The pile of body parts from where he literally sliced and diced an idiot who claimed to use his sword style.

This is not Vesperia where Yuri tries the tough guy routine of "I killed people, but it needed to be done." Berseria is "You are in my way so YOU DIE!"

• Options

No thanks

Symphonia the best.

Yes, every single character

• Options
  • Options
    This is probably the closest Tales will ever get to Tarantino, essentially

Revenge is the name of the game

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Ok, so they're upfront about it? It's not 30 hours into the game?

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Oh are they ever. It's actually one of the super refreshing things about. They don't try to justify their actions they have their goals and they work together because those goals happen to align and there is no apology about it.

• Options
    Velvet has a person she very much has to kill and if you get in her way she will run you over

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Velvet has a person she very much has to kill and if you get in her way she will run you over

Also probably eat you.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Berseria is Kill Bill, but even more anime.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    The Vester Tunnels are taking forever

• Options
    ph blake wrote: »
    Berseria is Kill Bill, but even more anime.

I think someone in the JRPG thread summed it up as "John Wick if he was a lady rage demon."