As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sega Saturn. What do I do with this thing?

13»

• Options
    RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ArugulaZ wrote: »
    So you're in England, huh? That's a stroke of luck... the European Saturn got Wipeout XL, a game we Americans had to do without.

It was called Wipeout 2097 over here, I think, but DAMN was it awesome.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    <== Biggest WipEout fan round these parts

Saturn 2097 is not quite as good looking as the PS1 version, but if you're a fan of tDR (who did the design work) having a bigger version of the manual and case is lovely, and personally I prefer the Saturn pad (the curvy one. The angular one is awful).

However, ther PS1 version is also cheaper. (though neither are going to break the bank.)

ben0207 on
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    MC Mystery wrote: »
    Hewn wrote: »
    Dragon Force was mentioned earlier. That's one of the best games for the system, from my memory. Every now and then I hear somebody mention a metal band of the same name, and it brings back the fondness I have for that title.

A lost Sega gem: Legends of Oasis. I loved that game. So hard. Sequel to the Genesis classic Beyond Oasis, Legends was an adventure game that tickled me in all the right places. It always reminded me of Zelda in many aspects, and as such I never understood why it didn't get more praise.

I'd lime it twice if I could.

Beyond Oasis was actually BASHED when it was released. Only Tips & Tricks gave it a good review. I have very much love for the Oasis games.

Was the Saturn edition released in the US?

Yup. Great game, too.

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Xieflow wrote: »
    Xieflow wrote: »
    there was this game, i think it was for the Saturn...

you were this kid or something, in a cave that had collapsed. I specifically remember "punctured lung" being something one of your comrades suffered. it was first person, and you would walk around, confronting baddies. only, you had these little guardian thingies that would come out and attack at the beginning of the battle. each little guardian thing only attacked certain parts of the screen. so if the baddie was on the right, and you sent out a guardian who attacked people on the left, she would just fly right past.

sorry if I am vague, but what the hell was this game?

Sounds like Shining the Holy Ark?

i wikied it. that seems right, with the mine collapse and the pixies.

Be warned, it has not aged well.

But it's still good, and Melody rocks.
    I've never beaten it. :x

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    HazzHazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    A lost Sega gem: Legends of Oasis. I loved that game. So hard. Sequel to the Genesis classic Beyond Oasis, Legends was an adventure game that tickled me in all the right places. It always reminded me of Zelda in many aspects, and as such I never understood why it didn't get more praise.

Excellent, I've been playing the Mega Drive game recently, love it to bits.

Hazz on
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You're in for a treat. The sequel improved upon the original in almost every aspect.

As I mentioned, I always thought of it as Sega's answer to Zelda. Like Sonic was to Mario. But I guess that line of thinking never caught on ;)

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hazz wrote: »

Excellent, I've been playing the Mega Drive game recently, love it to bits.

Yeah, it's Definitely Maybe one of my favourite games. And the graphics? My pants were like a Champagne Supernova.

But if you don't like it, Don't look Back in anger, just Roll with it.

Have I stretched this far enough yet

ben0207 on
  • Options
    ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Since we're on the topic, here's another game from the developers of Beyond Oasis that you've just gotta try!

http://www.segagagadomain.com/saturn14/vatlva.htm

I just played this last night. It's a car combat game seen from an overhead perspective. You've got your choice of vehicles, ranging from a spider walker to a sleek red dune buggy, and each one has six different weapons. It plays like a demolition derby, with up to five players smashing, crashing, and blasting each other to bits.

If the game looks familiar to some of you, well, there's a reason for that. Natsume released a sequel to Vatlva in the United States... except here, it was called Car Battler Joe!

Another fun fact... the guy who founded Ancient (the developer of Vatlva and Beyond Oasis) was none other than Yuzo Koshiro, the sound designer for Streets of Rage II and Act-Raiser!

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    Have I stretched this far enough yet

Some Might Say you stretched it just far enough.

High fives all around.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I just came here to shout blur.

BLUR!

LewieP on
  • Options
    ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Gee, nothing like an obscure game nobody's played to kill a thread...

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • Options
    JaceJace Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    X-men vs Streetfighter end

Jace on
    Jace
  • Options
    MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Did anyone here play, Grid Runner? It's one of my favorites, from what I understand there was a PS1 version as well, but I can't imagine this game on a non-six-face-button-controller.

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • Options
    Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've always wanted to play that game but never did for some reason.

Didn't Blast Chamber come out for the Saturn as well? I've always wanted to play that too.

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
    Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    I've been meaning to do a "Play On" thread with PDZ. Gotta find time!

Sheep on
  • Options
    freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just tested out my old Saturn with my friend who'd never seen one before, and I was seriously surprised at how much better these games seemed when I was 10. We played these games, in this order:

Virtua Fighter 1
    Virtua Fighter Remix
    Virtua Fighter 2
    X-Men Children of the Atom
    Sega Rally 1995
    Daytona USA
    Off-World Interceptor Extreme
    Clockwork Knight

We didn't play Mortal Kombat II, World Series Baseball, or NHL Powerplay '96, but I didn't really have any nostalgia for those games. Aside from Virtua Fighter 2 and X-Men Children of the Atom, and to a lesser extent, Clockwork knight, I was completely amazed at how much I used to love these games. The three I just mentioned were still fun, after all these years, but everything else just seemed like a bad joke. I'd really love to see what some of the good Saturn games were like, but right now I'm more interested in getting a new battery for the system and selling it on eBay. I've also got a first-party steering wheel and a first-party arcade pad, but I couldn't get the steering wheel to work.

Does anybody know what kind of battery I need? I think I remember replacing it once before, but that didn't stop it from asking for the date and time at every boot. I think maybe I put the wrong kind in or got a dead battery.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    CR 2032, I believe.
    (It's either that or 2025, but I'm pretty sure it's 32.)

Still, those are hardly the games to judge the Saturn on. That's like basing an opinion on the Gamecube from Spongebob and Starfox Adventures.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have a Saturn for the sole purpose of playing the Capcom side-scrolling beatemup Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara. It's part of the Dungeons & Dragons Collection, which is import only.

I guess this is a good place to ask... any advice for saving a dying Saturn? :( Mine will only sporadically load games now, and will randomly crash to the CD player screen, saying something like "unrecognizable format error". The battery is dead, too, naturally.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Everytime I see a damn Saturn thread I instantly want to plock 150 bucks down on it to get games that I probably won't play very often.

I wonder if I can find someone to trade me Guardian Heroes + Multi tap for Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have recently been acquiring titles for my Saturn which I couldn't afford when I was a wee one.

I will reccomend to you a game which no one else will.

Dark Saviour

An Isometric game which was, I believe, created by the same team who did landstalker, however, where Landstalker was hack n' slash and jumping puzzles, Dark Saviour is jumping puzzles and the occasional rather broken one on one fight.

The fights are not spectacular and the jumping puzzles are liable to make you kill yourself or others.

However, where it really shines is its branching story system which I found (and find) to be greatly compelling.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I just tested out my old Saturn with my friend who'd never seen one before, and I was seriously surprised at how much better these games seemed when I was 10. We played these games, in this order:

Virtua Fighter 1
    Virtua Fighter Remix
    Virtua Fighter 2
    Sega Rally 1995
    Daytona USA
    Clockwork Knight

We didn't play Mortal Kombat II, World Series Baseball, or NHL Powerplay '96, but I didn't really have any nostalgia for those games. Aside from Virtua Fighter 2 and X-Men Children of the Atom, and to a lesser extent, Clockwork knight, I was completely amazed at how much I used to love these games. The three I just mentioned were still fun, after all these years, but everything else just seemed like a bad joke. I'd really love to see what some of the good Saturn games were like, but right now I'm more interested in getting a new battery for the system and selling it on eBay. I've also got a first-party steering wheel and a first-party arcade pad, but I couldn't get the steering wheel to work.

Does anybody know what kind of battery I need? I think I remember replacing it once before, but that didn't stop it from asking for the date and time at every boot. I think maybe I put the wrong kind in or got a dead battery.

Well, you have some of the good Saturn games. The Daytona re release is excellent. Sega Rally is as well. Virtua Fighter 2 and Fighting Vipers are definitely superior to the first title. Clockwork Knight is okay.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Sleep wrote: »
    Everytime I see a damn Saturn thread I instantly want to plock 150 bucks down on it to get games that I probably won't play very often.

I wonder if I can find someone to trade me Guardian Heroes + Multi tap for Panzer Dragoon Saga.

If it makes you feel better, mine cost me twice that. :P
    (The NiGHTS bundle.)

And PDS is, in my opinion, the most overrated rare game of all time. The likes of Dragon Force, Albert Odyssey, Mystaria, and Burning Rangers are far better, and they're less sought after, which is criminal.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I actually already have a Saturn ad about 20 games. I just only have a few of the really great games on it. I really need Guardian Heroes and Saturn Bomberman.
    And PDS is, in my opinion, the most overrated rare game of all time. The likes of Dragon Force, Albert Odyssey, Mystaria, and Burning Rangers are far better, and they're less sought after, which is criminal.

I can debate you on that, sir.

It is ultimately up to personal tastes. Burning Rangers and Dragon Force are good, but what really makes me love PDS was it's overall sense of style. I plan on making a Play On thread one of these days with lots of movies. Then, hopefully you'll see the same thing in PDS that I see.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You know what game really sucks?

Guardian Heroes.

You should all send all your copiesw to me, so I can dispose of them safely.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Virtua Fighter 1
    Virtua Fighter Remix
    Virtua Fighter 2
    Sega Rally 1995
    Daytona USA
    Clockwork Knight

Well, you have some of the good Saturn games. The Daytona re release is excellent. Sega Rally is as well. Virtua Fighter 2 and Fighting Vipers are definitely superior to the first title. Clockwork Knight is okay.

Clockwork Knight is actually a really cool game, but Sega Rally in particular amazed me in its incompleteness. I do not think my Daytoooooooonaaaaa is the rerelease, because it is exceptionally not-good.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I agree with you that Panzer Dragoon Saga sells more than it should. I'm not saying it's a bad game by any means - it is very unusual in gameplay, plot, and setting, and the cutscenes and characters are all handled exceptionally - but it's hardly the perfect game people seem to credit it with being. Among other things, it's short, has little replay value, and has graphics that are more ambitious than the Saturn hardware can really handle. I am glad that I was able to find a copy back when it was new and in stores (bought the last copy the local Toys'R'Us had), but in the end, I sold it (the siren call of $100+ was too great).

However, Albert Odyssey? I thought Albert Odyssey was the worst Working Designs game I had ever played: generic gameplay, mediocre graphics, short, and horrendously long load times.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    OmegaVelocityOmegaVelocity Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I do not think my Daytoooooooonaaaaa is the rerelease, because it is exceptionally not-good.
    Depends. Is your copy running at 15FPS or 30FPS? The re-release runs at the latter and the original runs at the former.

OmegaVelocity on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I've got a PAL version of Christmas NiGHTS that I can't play on my NTSC LCD TV with that Action Replay memory cartridge thing. I'm pretty unhappy about that.

I think the only other games I have are Steep Slope Sliders (which was an awesome snowboarding game I used to play with my roommate in college), Dragon Force, VF2, and NiGHTS.

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I do not think my Daytoooooooonaaaaa is the rerelease, because it is exceptionally not-good.
    Depends. Is your copy running at 15FPS or 30FPS? The re-release runs at the latter and the original runs at the former.

I would guess it's running at 15fps because it seemed choppy. Even if it's the 30fps rerelease, they rereleased a piece of shit.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I have recently been acquiring titles for my Saturn which I couldn't afford when I was a wee one.

I will reccomend to you a game which no one else will.

Dark Saviour

An Isometric game which was, I believe, created by the same team who did landstalker, however, where Landstalker was hack n' slash and jumping puzzles, Dark Saviour is jumping puzzles and the occasional rather broken one on one fight.

The fights are not spectacular and the jumping puzzles are liable to make you kill yourself or others.

However, where it really shines is its branching story system which I found (and find) to be greatly compelling.

I've been recommending this one since I got it, like, 10 years ago. Awesome game.

And horrible camera...castle in the sky level, I'm looking at you.

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I agree with you that Panzer Dragoon Saga sells more than it should. I'm not saying it's a bad game by any means - it is very unusual in gameplay, plot, and setting, and the cutscenes and characters are all handled exceptionally - but it's hardly the perfect game people seem to credit it with being. Among other things, it's short, has little replay value, and has graphics that are more ambitious than the Saturn hardware can really handle. I am glad that I was able to find a copy back when it was new and in stores (bought the last copy the local Toys'R'Us had), but in the end, I sold it (the siren call of $100+ was too great).

However, Albert Odyssey? I thought Albert Odyssey was the worst Working Designs game I had ever played: generic gameplay, mediocre graphics, short, and horrendously long load times.

I loved the graphics, and especially the music. I mostly loved it for the style.

But the music is by far some of the best Saturn has to offer.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Virtua Fighter 1
    Virtua Fighter Remix
    Virtua Fighter 2
    Sega Rally 1995
    Daytona USA
    Clockwork Knight

Clockwork Knight is actually a really cool game, but Sega Rally in particular amazed me in its incompleteness. I do not think my Daytoooooooonaaaaa is the rerelease, because it is exceptionally not-good.

Incompleteness?

It's pretty much the Arcade game.

Sheep on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've got a PAL version of Christmas NiGHTS that I can't play on my NTSC LCD TV with that Action Replay memory cartridge thing. I'm pretty unhappy about that.

I think the only other games I have are Steep Slope Sliders (which was an awesome snowboarding game I used to play with my roommate in college), Dragon Force, VF2, and NiGHTS.

You should really give it away to someone who has a PAL saturn.
    ;-) ;-)

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    He should just give Dragon Force to someone who... uh.

Well, he should just give it to me.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well I am considering selling Christmas NiGHTS since it's not doing me any good.

You can pry Dragon Force from my cold dead hands though.

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You can take the sequel off my hands, if you want. Such a letdown.

I'll still claw my way through it eventually, but it's like they drained every single aspect from it that made the original fun. Darker imagery, blander music, less characterization, ech.

The only pluses are the voice acting(really helps since I can't read Japanese, and I can get some idea of what's going on), and the split armies(I can make half-archer/half-dragon armadas).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I thought the PS2 release was just a remake?

Sheep on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    SEGATA SANSHIRO!

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I thought the PS2 release was just a remake?

It was; but there was a sequel for the Saturn.

22867.jpg
    DF2.jpg
    I actually own it; I guess whoever is playing that version used alternate means.

It's as bland as it looks.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That would explain it.

There are some cheap copies on eBay I should scope out. I'm considering trading my copy of PDS for a Neo Geo.

Sheep on