Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Pseudo-Random Reboots - Help!

KendrikKendrik McKinney, TXRegistered User regular
So, starting about 2 to 3 weeks ago I started getting reboot events while playing FF14. Specifically, it seemed to occur during cutscene playback. I've now seen the reboot occur while playing the Ghost Recon beta and while playing ESO. Here's what I've tried so far:
  • Installed a Corsair H100i v2 to correct potential CPU overheat issues
  • Thoroughly cleaned my case and fans
  • Updated all of my drivers (GPU, Audio, etc.)
  • Completely re-installed FF14 from scratch
  • Checked event viewer
  • Confirmed my OS Drive has plenty of free space
  • Switch to DX9 from DX11 in FF14. Note: This actually seemed to lower the frequency of the crashes.

My system Specs

AMD FX-8320
ASUS M5A97 R2.0
G.Skill DDR3 8GB x 2
GTX1060 6GB
Corsair CX850 Power Supply

The Video Card and Power supply are only about 4 to 6 months old. The rest is about 2 years old. My current thinking is pointing me at the video card, mostly due to the fact that switching to DX9 seemed to lower the crash rate. The only problem with that thought is that I can play Smite and SC2 for DAYS without any issues. So, any suggestions? How do I isolate this problem?

fss.png
Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984

• KendrikKendrik McKinney, TXRegistered User regular
    Update: It turns out that I was getting a pretty regular crash in ESO (pretty much immediately upon login) so I decided to use it for testing. I turned the graphics settings down to low and I was able to login and play. I then stepped up through graphics settings over time and it wasn't until I hit High/Ultra that I crashed again. So, I looked at which settings changed for that pre-set and it basically just added reflections, draw distance, and Ambient Occlusion. I turned on reflections (on low), maxed out draw distance and left Ambient Occlusion off and I was able to play with no reboots. I'm now testing the same thing in FF14 (DX11, maxed settings, Ambient Occlusion off) to see if it's something that works there, as well. If so, then I've found my culprit. The only question at that point would be "Why"? Does Ambient Occlusion hit the GPU differently in some way? Or am I just hitting a driver issue?

fss.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited March 3
    Monitor your GPU temperatures. It might be overheating. You can monitor your gpu temperatures with GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

There's an option to log to a file if you need it because of the reboots.

LD50 on
    LD50 wrote: »
    Monitor your GPU temperatures. It might be overheating. You can monitor your gpu temperatures with GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

There's an option to log to a file if you need it because of the reboots.

I kept an eye on it during my initial troubleshooting, but not with GPU-Z. Since that seemed like a cool app, I grabbed it and decided to stress test with Fur Mark. My GPU made it about 30 seconds before my PC rebooted. The highest temp it reached was 45c so that's not the cause. However, the fact that it reboots my PC during FurMark sure sounds like I've got a bad GPU. Gonna reach out to Zotac and see if I can get an RMA.

fss.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    It might be your power supply. When your gpu kicks into full gear it draws more power, so it could be that your psu is bunk and can't keep up. Do you have another psu you can test with?

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell The ResistanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 4
    a Corsair 850 should be able to pump out more than enough juice for a single 1060 card. no idea if you have access to another graphics card to test as well, might be a good way to ID or eliminate the PSU as the problem source.

fightinfilipino on
    I've got the RMA scheduled with Zotac, but I've been putting off shipping it because the only other card I have is a radeon HD5750. I...I don't know if I can handle that with Andromeda launching soon.

fss.png
    I took a quick look and realized my son's PC had a 650TI in it and decided that would be good enough for now, so I stole his video card to put in my PC. I ran furmark on it and it passed so I thought I was good to go. However, I was just playing Paragon and got another reboot just like I was getting on my 1060. Damnit. I still don't think it's a power supply issue (I double-checked and it's a Corsair RM850 and my full-load wattage draw for all components should be less than 400W). So, it's time for my next test: The PCIe slot. My last video card died badly (I let the magic smoke out) in the current slot, so I'm thinking it's possible it was damaged. I'm desperately hoping the MoBo and memory were not, but memory will be my next attempt.

fss.png
    Well, I did a HUGE amount of testing and stressing of the 1060 and I couldn't get it to crash in the second PCIe slot, so I thought I'd found the issue. But I finally got a crash while running 3DMark's new DX12 demo. I was then able to confirm it still causes reboots when I set ESO to ultra-high, and it does crash when playing Paragon. So, back to the 650ti and off to Zotac with the 1060.

fss.png
    Well, hell. I decided to do a full DDU run and re-install my drivers. After I did that, I played Paragon on the 650ti with nary a crash at a higher setting than what caused the crash last time. So now I'm wondering if this whole thing wasn't just a stupid driver issue. Guess the 1060 is going back in long enough to see if I can make it crash again.

fss.png