Options

[Xbox Live] KoToR, Ninja Gaiden Black, Crimson Skies and more coming to Xbox Original BC

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    There is a clan and a Xbox Live
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Has anyone heard much about Observer? I'm looking for some games to keep me occupied during my next surgery on Sept. 5th, as I'll be stuck on a couch for at least 2 weeks. It's done by the same group that did Layers of Fear and it sounds like it's building off of that game while combining it with the detective feature of Murdered: Soul Suspect. I only dabbled a bit with Layers of Fear, but loved the hell out of Soul Suspect. If the two were combined, it could be pretty sick. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything good/bad about this title.

That's the Blade Runnerish game with Rutger Hauer right? Looks rad. Is it coming to console?
    I'm not sure too much on the backstory other than it is supposed to take place in a dystopian Cyberpunk Eastern European setting and is supposed to be released Aug. 15th. The detective aspect is about how someone has apparently found a way to use digital fears against anyone plugged in, and now you have to solve for a string of murders, or something along those lines. I could be wrong about some of it, but from the brief bit I read, that's what I pulled from it.

Sorry I don't know much more. I did a search for Xbox One games being released in August so that I might have something new to play while I'm out of commission.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Dear god Recore really pushes it. It's got a great style, neat little story, and some of the worst fucking padding and load times I've ever seen in a game. The final boss tower is fucking exhausting

Like you know how most games work in threes? Ie you do something three times before it changes up or the boss ends. This game likes fives. It makes you do basically the same platforming challenges like ten times before it moves on. The ending tower is one of the most exhausting, repetitive and lazy I've ever seen in a game

The robots are cute, it's got decent gameplay, but dear god the developer did everything in their power to ruin what they had. It's like it wants you to get sick of it and stop playing

You'll occasionally run into an enemy that's way higher level than you and it'll one shot you. No big deal right? Just respawn? Nope, 1 to 2 minute load screen to respawn you in the same damn area

Apparently they patched the load times so I shudder to think what they were like pre patch. The regions are so small and there's only 3 of them, what the hell is it loading?

Developers need to realise when they've got a neat little 5 hour game and not try and pad it out to 10 or 15. Short and sweet is what recore should've been and it would've been fine. Instead the final boss level is like if Arkham City made you do all the challenge maps before you faced the last boss

Oh and the many wonderful glitches that will force you to do levels over again. Or just get stuck and have to delete your entire save If you want to finish the game

Prohass on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Recore's getting a reworked version soon, iirc.

edit: I imagine a lot of the padding comes from trying to stave complaints of a "5 hour" game hitting the 40 bucks price point

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options

edit: I imagine a lot of the padding comes from trying to stave complaints of a "5 hour" game hitting the 40 bucks price point

Half the problems with modern games is trying to hit arbitrary hour marks because of idiots assuming that hours played is a measure of worth. Like mass effect andromeda would have been a better game if it completely removed all misc quests and focussed on the main campaign. I hope developers snap out of it soon because I'd rather pay 40 bucks for a great 5 hour game than for a shitty 10 or 15 hour one. It's different if the content is all quality, but it's very clearly padding, and that time padding out the games clock could've been put into polishing what worked

And I wish I hadn't played recore now knowing that they're doing a reworked version. It better be free to those who bought the original. It has so many things I like about the asthetic

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Prohass wrote: »

Half the problems with modern games is trying to hit arbitrary hour marks because of idiots assuming that hours played is a measure of worth. Like mass effect andromeda would have been a better game if it completely removed all misc quests and focussed on the main campaign. I hope developers snap out of it soon because I'd rather pay 40 bucks for a great 5 hour game than for a shitty 10 or 15 hour one. It's different if the content is all quality, but it's very clearly padding, and that time padding out the games clock could've been put into polishing what worked

And I wish I hadn't played recore now knowing that they're doing a reworked version. It better be free to those who bought the original. It has so many things I like about the asthetic

Evidence points to it being free. There's screen caps of "Recore: Definitive" edition showing in its achievements description and some other stuff, don't really feel like pulling the research for you atm.

I think that Mass Effect: Andromeda would have been a better game if they didn't saddle it with a stupid story and weak plot structure (with respect to its restoration mechanic in particular)... though that is my impression having only gotten tired of its bullshit halfway through Kadara. I will finish it... one day.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    I managed to power through and finish andromeda and in the end I enjoye it, and I ended up having a fondness for the characters, but yeah there was just so much in the way of that

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I don't think I would have enjoyed Andromeda if I hadn't come into it with a love for the series. I liked a lot of what it tried to do but it needed more time in the oven for sure.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Heffling wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    I signed up for the Path of Exile beta yesterday and already got a key. I'm excited to try it.

http://www.pathofexile.com/xboxbeta

Be warned, I have 3800 hours played in Steam and at least 700 more from before it was released on Steam.

I've seen the number of hours my friends have logged on it on Steam, and didn't understand why. Now I understand.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but I noticed a two-pack on the Apple App Store for Halo: Spartan Assault and Spartan Strike, the latter of which has yet to hit consoles.

Just curious if anyone here knows how well they play on mobile, given the lack of buttons and all.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Prohass wrote: »
    Dear god Recore really pushes it. It's got a great style, neat little story, and some of the worst fucking padding and load times I've ever seen in a game. The final boss tower is fucking exhausting
    They still haven't fixed the load times?!?!?! That was my biggest gripe about the game, especially in the room with the flaming floors where I must have died about 10 times (Trust me, I'm not spoiling anything). It's a small room in a small dungeon. Why is there a 5-10 minute load time?

Truth be told, I never finished the game because I got distracted. I was in the middle of that tower climb when I stopped playing, but it just kept going and going. Overall, I enjoyed the game and thought people were a bit too hard on it, especially given the $40 brand-spankin' new price tag. If it were $60, yeah, I'd totally understand everyone hating on it. But for $40 full price, I thought it was a good and fun game.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but I noticed a two-pack on the Apple App Store for Halo: Spartan Assault and Spartan Strike, the latter of which has yet to hit consoles.

Just curious if anyone here knows how well they play on mobile, given the lack of buttons and all.

Having played both on their original platform (WP8), they're very much designed not to be used with controllers--they're touchscreen games that just happened to work acceptably well on consoles.

So it'll have as much to do with your particular model of iPhone, if its loss any responsiveness with age and if the screen is suitably large enough next to your hands (for a two-thumb/two-stick shooter, there is a certain amount of complexity and, as a result, more on screen buttons than you might expect).

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Thank god I bought ReCore digitally so I could just play it on my PC with an SDD. Load times were still long, but not ungodly so.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8mIJhqC8Hg
    Ultimate Edition includes Titanfall 2 base game, Deluxe Edition content (Scorch & Ion Prime Titans, Deluxe Edition Warpaint for 6 Titans, Deluxe Edition Camo for all Titans, Pilots & Weapons, Deluxe Edition Nose Arts for 6 Titans, Deluxe Edition Callsign), and Jump Start Pack content (All Titans unlocked, all Pilot Tacticals unlocked, 500 tokens to unlock loadouts, cosmetics and gear, 10 2x XP tokens, the Underground R-201 Carbine Warpaint).

If you're not interested in buying it, the base version of TiF2 is included with EA Access now as well.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Titanfall 2 is a fantastic game, really solid campaign and great multi, especially with the Frontier Defense horde mode that just released

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I still need to make myself finish the single player campaign--I've tried, but I've yet to find out what people enjoyed so much about it. So far it's been "Short but reasonably fun Titan sections" followed by "Long, boring sections on foot."

EDIT: Also, is Diablo III still free to play for anyone else? I'm not complaining--though I'm having a hell of a time adjusting to the controls--but I thought it was supposed to end yesterday.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    The sections on foot are some of the best sections in the game, though.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Man, Titanfall should be so much more than it is. EA seems to really be fucking up that brand for Respawn with marketing and prefering to plaster Battlefield everywhere.

If I was in charge, I'd do a full on reboot. Storywise TF1 wasn't anything to be excited about, and TF2 while cool didn't do much for the mythos. Here's my wishlist for a reinvented Titanfall:

Story-
    Basically rip the space politics from any Gundam series. Reskin the scrappy rebels of 8th MS team and make them the protags, fighting against greater odds but using guerilla tactics and mechs with unique abilites. Boss fights against mechs with similar abilities and higher mobility. Let us use our cutom mech and pilot in story, like Halo Reach.

Gameplay-
    Keep the basics the same, maybe more focused on making mechs feel powerful. Downtime for mechs should be longer to make up for how durable they should feel. Make them much more customizable along with the pilots. Allow for user paint jobs and emblems like Armored Core. Basically lift the whole part building aspect, where I can make a zippy sword mech with lots of boosters or a tank tread mech with Megatron Cannons. If I can't make Wing Gundam, Jehuty, or Optimus Prime they have failed me.

Online-
    Same basic modes, but have a faction mode where you take and hold territory on maps based on wins in specific modes. They could provide incentives for teams with smaller map control with bigger bonuses upon winning against the enemy faction, while the dominant team could earn bonusXP or whatever. Maybe have larger skirmish maps with persistent objectives, like MAG for PS3.

Also give us jetpacks and beam sabers and a 3rd person mode

• Options
    edited August 2017

I don't like them so far (I'm past the point where you have to send the transmission off planet--the game is way to fond of the whole "See this gun? It's a switch" thing). I feel like I've played better shooters on Xbox One, even if the variety of weapons is okay.

Anything that involves platforming is unfun to the point of almost being funny. Actual platforming, with bottomless pits. I have no idea who thought that was a good thing.

I think my favorite on-foot section so far was the automated factory (the parts without bottomless pits), and the time-shifting section, which came as a pleasant surprise.

They're just so...boring compared to the sections in Titans. Then again, I don't particularly like the singleplayer campaigns in Call of Duty games either.

EDIT: I also have absolutely no interest whatsoever in anything in the plot beyond the sometimes humorous observations from BT, who can be pretty charming. Literally nothing else has interested me, including the justification for time travel. Which is completely forgivable, I didn't expect to be impressed. The first game actually held my interest briefly because of the bare-bones worldbuilding of a new setting, but I didn't hold the lack of a story against that either. I just don't care what happens to the main character or anyone shouting in my ear.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I didn't have any issue with the platforming myself, but I didn't really like the shooting sections. There just wasn't really much reason to be mobile during them most of them, so you didn't really spend a lot of time using the movement which was like, the best part of the game. Too much time spent doing fairly unremarkable cover shooting.

• Options
    The single-player seems way too keen on steering you into either 1) narrow corridors where you won't actually do any sort of maneuvering or wall-running without running directly into a corner or 2) slightly less narrow corridors over bottomless pits/death zones where you can maneuver a little, but any time you make a mistake (or try and dodge an enemy by improvising or just changing route), you'll slip into the dead zone, so the "safe" option is to just sit somewhere and shoot nonstop down the corridor.

For a game with such an inventive movement system already, it really wanted to be a corridor shooter--and it wasn't the best at that either.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Synthesis wrote: »

I don't like them so far (I'm past the point where you have to send the transmission off planet--the game is way to fond of the whole "See this gun? It's a switch" thing). I feel like I've played better shooters on Xbox One, even if the variety of weapons is okay.

Anything that involves platforming is unfun to the point of almost being funny. Actual platforming, with bottomless pits. I have no idea who thought that was a good thing.

I think my favorite on-foot section so far was the automated factory (the parts without bottomless pits), and the time-shifting section, which came as a pleasant surprise.

They're just so...boring compared to the sections in Titans. Then again, I don't particularly like the singleplayer campaigns in Call of Duty games either.

EDIT: I also have absolutely no interest whatsoever in anything in the plot beyond the sometimes humorous observations from BT, who can be pretty charming. Literally nothing else has interested me, including the justification for time travel. Which is completely forgivable, I didn't expect to be impressed. The first game actually held my interest briefly because of the bare-bones worldbuilding of a new setting, but I didn't hold the lack of a story against that either. I just don't care what happens to the main character or anyone shouting in my ear.

That's weird, because none of the stuff where you're walking around as a titant was really memorable to me. It was stuff like the factory level, or the "press X to" level, or
    The level where you get THAT gun and a knife.

That's the stuff that has stuck out to me. The mech stuff is basically standard FPS stuff, but the scale is different. When you're out of the suit you can do all these neat wall-running and jumpjetting stuff and it feels more novel.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

That's weird, because none of the stuff where you're walking around as a titant was really memorable to me. It was stuff like the factory level, or the "press X to" level, or

That's the stuff that has stuck out to me. The mech stuff is basically standard FPS stuff, but the scale is different. When you're out of the suit you can do all these neat wall-running and jumpjetting stuff and it feels more novel.

Except you always end up in the same corridor shooting the same dumb AI until you need to move thanks to the same spider drones (did anyone find spider drones fun? anyone at all?).

At least in a Titan, you had a sense of size, helped by engaging the same forces. That's the same Reaper you fought on foot, he can still hurt you, but you can literally punch him to death. As oppose to parkour running...into another low-ceiling corridor for some reason.

I don't know if it's just the first half of the game sucks, but how is there not a section where you fight a Titan on foot? How did that not happen? The most fun you can have on foot in the first game has been completely absent so far. Am I completely forgetting something? It seems insane that it's not a thing, did I just fail to trigger that happening?

• Options

The factory had some of the worst of it. The firefights take place on wide, flat factory floors where cover is never more than a bit taller than you, and boundaries of the arenas are frequently sheer drops instead of walls. Most of the fights in the game have the former issue, but they at least have walls that you can run on even if it's not that good an idea to do so.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Though I was previously aware of it, I was reminded in a more unavoidable manner that 90% of my time in Elite Dangerous is now spent maintaining my faction rating.

It takes 30 minutes to earn 15 faction points, which means I need spend 2 hours waiting for the timers to click down and to earn faction time. Now, obviously, I could spend the intervening time doing something else, and I sometimes do, but rain or shine, I have to spend 2 hours waiting. Usually I just log out, set a timer on Cortana, and come back when it's time. I have enough other games competing with my time that, all things considered, I might not play ED once a week--unless I was forced to.

I really, really hate whoever decided that your faction points were going to halve every week. That is some free-to-play bullshit that has somehow wormed its way into an amazing, incredibly deep game (that does have a bad habit of trying to nickle and dime you at every turn).

Maybe I really need to tell the faction system to go fuck-off until my gaming schedule changes and I decide I want to play ED every evening, the same way I usually play a little Overwatch every evening. I haven't even used any of the faction benefits yet.

EDIT: Haha, and this isn't even in the right place. Doh. Though I guess this is applicable to XBL as well.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    what does your faction rating do? the only time I've encountered that type of decay mechanic is in Warframe with argon and technically argon is supposed to decay or whatever.

• Options
    what does your faction rating do? the only time I've encountered that type of decay mechanic is in Warframe with argon and technically argon is supposed to decay or whatever.

The ED thread could tell you better, but basically your faction rating determines how fast you can build your faction rating (yes, it's like it sounds) as well as what equipment and transaction bonuses you get. Actually obtaining points is not particularly difficult (especially if you have a huge cargo ship), but at level 1 you get 10 cargo items you can ferry (for 1 point each) every 30 minutes. You need to maintain a 100 when the weekly countdown ends, so basically to stay at level 2, you need to earn 51 points in a week (and you get 15 every 30 minutes, unless you pay for more of them).

There are other ways to do it too, but they're require a substantial commitment of time (as well as ships and travel). Ferrying cargo is basically the one "part-time" faction building activity there is currently that is doable in a variety of locations.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

Except you always end up in the same corridor shooting the same dumb AI until you need to move thanks to the same spider drones (did anyone find spider drones fun? anyone at all?).

At least in a Titan, you had a sense of size, helped by engaging the same forces. That's the same Reaper you fought on foot, he can still hurt you, but you can literally punch him to death. As oppose to parkour running...into another low-ceiling corridor for some reason.

I don't know if it's just the first half of the game sucks, but how is there not a section where you fight a Titan on foot? How did that not happen? The most fun you can have on foot in the first game has been completely absent so far. Am I completely forgetting something? It seems insane that it's not a thing, did I just fail to trigger that happening?

You can just get out of your Titan and fight them on foot.

• Options
    Oh hey, Bayonetta is one of the free games.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I picked up an xbox one primarily to play a bunch of Halo. Tonight we got some weird unable to sync cloud save message for the Master Chief Collection. I've heard of it's notorious bugginess but other than that we haven't had any problems. Patch tuesday server woes?

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Could be you just need to reboot your xb1.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I still need to make myself finish the single player campaign--I've tried, but I've yet to find out what people enjoyed so much about it. So far it's been "Short but reasonably fun Titan sections" followed by "Long, boring sections on foot."
    For what it's worth, I don't understand the hype about the campaign either. I love TF2 and have played the hell out of it. Lately I only play FD, as it's the new kid in town, but have loved BH a ton. While the story was entertaining, I don't think it lives up to the hype that everyone seems to be losing their shit over. People were acting like it was the most incredible campaign ever, but it was a solid 7/10. 7 is still good, but people talked like it was a 10/10. I thought there wasn't enough Titan action and too much on-foot, which to me is like most every other FPS and not why I play TF. It's totally worth finishing, just don't go into it expecting the campaign to be the monster everyone has made it seem and you'll enjoy it.

However, to each their own. I love games that people have hated, and hate games that people have loved.

What about
    the battle at the wall? That was the best part of the campaign for me. It was incredibly sick. Hell, the entire invasion of the base was one giant Titan on Titan battle of goodness, but that wall battle.... It was exactly what I wanted to experience in the campaign. Fortunately, FD is nothing but that, so my pleasure sensors in my brain are fully satisfied.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Uh oh, Path of Exile is the dangerous kind of good that can devour hours and hours of time.

Not Diablo III good, mind you, but still pretty good.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    Uh oh, Path of Exile is the dangerous kind of good that can devour hours and hours of time.

Would you say Torchlight 2 good?

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular

Would you say Torchlight 2 good?

That's a good comparison. The writing is not great (it's not Blizzard) and your inventory, at least in the beginning, is too small, but playing the game is a blast and I believe that it will remain free once it is out of beta.

• Options
    Does Torchlight 2 have acheivements? I've seen it appear as a game someone is playing on Live... and I liked the first one.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    BTW: in the Windows store, Super Dungeon Bros is available for free until 9/1/2017. It does *not* appear to be tied into xbox live gold or anything. It is explicitly the Windows 10 version.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Does Torchlight 2 have acheivements? I've seen it appear as a game someone is playing on Live... and I liked the first one.
    Torchlight was a super light version of Diablo, so while it was the same gameplay, it was a very simple hack and slash. Torchlight 2 was much more involved, which made it a ton more fun. Unfortunately, it was only on PC, at least when I was playing it. I don't think they came out with a console version.

• Options
    Torchlight was a super light version of Diablo, so while it was the same gameplay, it was a very simple hack and slash. Torchlight 2 was much more involved, which made it a ton more fun. Unfortunately, it was only on PC, at least when I was playing it. I don't think they came out with a console version.

Playing a game on Live and playing a game on Xbox are two different things. I was referring to seeing players playing Torchlight 2 via the Live app...

• Options
    edited August 2017

Playing a game on Live and playing a game on Xbox are two different things. I was referring to seeing players playing Torchlight 2 via the Live app...
    Given the thread's topic, I made the assumption that when someone says "Live," they are talking about Xbox Live.

Le_Goat on
  • Options

Given the thread's topic, I made the assumption that when someone says "Live," they are talking about Xbox Live.

But Xbox Live is not a game console, nor is it exclusive to the Xbox consoles. I know there isn't a console version of the game. The question was is there a PC/Windows version of the game attached to the Xbox Live service.

This discussion has been closed.