As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox Live] KoToR, Ninja Gaiden Black, Crimson Skies and more coming to Xbox Original BC

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Even for the last few titles, there' always been some form of unique Xbox marketing materials, right? Along with all the unique Playstation marketing materials.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    It's just going to be one of those dumb exclusivity things, where either map packs drop 30 days early on one system, or maybe you get three custom gun camo skins for being on the marketing box.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I think it's just promotional material with the Xbox branding on it. Sony still has the "exclusivity" deal with Activision AFAIK.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    it is quite literally the outside box for the game.

r6pVi66.jpg16hOhgX.png

Note the flaps and tabs.

edit: actually maybe not, it's a box for something. though... case sized.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Looks like a promo banner for Gamestop and the like. Still, when Sony paid for CoD/Destiny exclusive stuff they also got marketing rights too.

• Options
    Don't they make "display boxes" for brick and mortar stores? I haven't set foot in one and looked around in ages.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Looks like a promo banner for Gamestop and the like. Still, when Sony paid for CoD/Destiny exclusive stuff they also got marketing rights too.

Do we know Sony's deal is a two for one? Or are the CoD and Destiny deals different? Sony could have let the CoD one lapse (Or MS offered a better deal and Activision chose not to renew with Sony.)

• Options
    It's such a waste of money on Sony and MS's part too. One console gets DLC a month earlier... ooooh BFD! Nobody's going out and buying a console because of that. I guess there's that lame stuff with Destiny where it takes a whole year for a strike and exotics to become available on XBone, but it's still not really selling consoles.

It just seems to me that the only company benefiting from the deal is Activision.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    The Destiny deal seems even less...meaningful? As far as I know Destiny DLC doesn't come early to PSN.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    The Destiny deal seems even less...meaningful? As far as I know Destiny DLC doesn't come early to PSN.

It's not that it comes early so much as its access is effectively precluded from the other guy.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Don't they make "display boxes" for brick and mortar stores? I haven't set foot in one and looked around in ages.

Yeah, just looks like marketing materials for a GameStop or similar for their Xbox section. I'm sure they have the same but with Playstation borders for their PS section.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    It's such a waste of money on Sony and MS's part too. One console gets DLC a month earlier... ooooh BFD! Nobody's going out and buying a console because of that. I guess there's that lame stuff with Destiny where it takes a whole year for a strike and exotics to become available on XBone, but it's still not really selling consoles.

It just seems to me that the only company benefiting from the deal is Activision.

I generally think that's why MS dropped that shit like a hot potato. Does it really help? Thinking about it. MS had a head start, all these deals, and still wound up hitting around 50/50 in the end against the PS3.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017

It's not that it comes early so much as its access is effectively precluded from the other guy.
    What was an unintended suckerpunch with the PS4 Destiny exclusives is that all of the content they got access to but we didn't... that stuff never showed up in the PS4 rotations until it was released to all platforms, which fucked them over as well. Then tack on that it wasn't a 30 or 60 day exclusivity; it was a fucking year. Flat out one of the most poorly implemented exclusivity events I've witnessed (or at least remember).

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    It was a strike and some exotics, right? And the exotics were pretty much worthless by the time they hit XBone, IIRC.

And I think one of the weapons (Jade Rabbit?) still never made it to XBone because reasons.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    yeah, and then they decided that it was actually 'a minimum of one year' meaning there's still content that hasn't made its way to Xbone. the fact that they put collectables in the latest batch of exclusive content just adds insult to injury in my opinion.

they've been a bit more upfront on the fact with Destiny 2 but its still a shitty way of doing it.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    It was a strike and some exotics, right? And the exotics were pretty much worthless by the time they hit XBone, IIRC.

And I think one of the weapons (Jade Rabbit?) still never made it to XBone because reasons.

The thing that stung for me was several pvp maps. Play enough pvp and every single map in the rotation matters simply because you're going to repeat them all so many times.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Crimson Skies for the Xbox was my favorite game for many, many years. My roommates and I got a crazy amount of online play in college.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Activision is a bunch of Mr. Poopy Buttholes and fuck them for doing that shitty Destiny exclusivity deal again.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Activision is a bunch of Mr. Poopy Buttholes and fuck them for doing that shitty Destiny exclusivity deal again.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQyhmd7Gk4U

but i agree that exclusivity sucks for everyone (at least player-wise)

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    I guess console wars kiddies will eat that shit up.

• Options
    Playing through voodoo vince and normal progression achievememts started getting rare achievement pops around 3/4ths of the way through the game. I hope thats because its only been out a week, because otherwise that's some super low staying power for a singleplayer game.

• Options
    I mean it didn't really advertise or anything aside from the usual Xbox brand spots on the dash and elsewhere

It's not like they did it for cash, it was definitely a Phil Spencer pet project. I just hope more people hop in for Phantom Dust HD, I never got to try the online in that

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I mean it didn't really advertise or anything aside from the usual Xbox brand spots on the dash and elsewhere

It's not like they did it for cash, it was definitely a Phil Spencer pet project. I just hope more people hop in for Phantom Dust HD, I never got to try the online in that

I'm not talking about sales, I'm talking about how many people who bought it actually played through it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Ah, okay. Have there been any reviews yet?

• Options
    Ah, okay. Have there been any reviews yet?

Yeah.

It's doing about as well as Yooka-Laylee on metacritic, which surpised me. (Mid to low 70's)

• Options
    I'm enjoying Yooka Laylee just because it's been a nice break from shooting aliens. It's just a bit overwhelming since often you'll get lost or not be sure if you have the power to access certain puzzles. It doesn't do a great job explaining some things, but it's visually very charming.

• Options
    I'm enjoying Yooka Laylee just because it's been a nice break from shooting aliens. It's just a bit overwhelming since often you'll get lost or not be sure if you have the power to access certain puzzles. It doesn't do a great job explaining some things, but it's visually very charming.

I just made b-line to get all the powers after I found the third world. Made it a lot less confusing.

• Options
    Playing through voodoo vince and normal progression achievememts started getting rare achievement pops around 3/4ths of the way through the game. I hope thats because its only been out a week, because otherwise that's some super low staying power for a singleplayer game.

How many hours a day do you game?

• Options

How many hours a day do you game?

I honestly haven't been able to put more than an hour or two a day into this game, and I haven't really been playing much else.

• Options

Huh--I didn't know that. But I don't play Destiny so I can only guess.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

The PS4 Exclusives that aren't on Xbone:
    • 2 weapons: The Jade Rabbit scout rifle and the Zen Meteor sniper rifle
    • 2 Crucible maps (PvP maps): Icarus and Sector 618
    • 1 Strike (think a dungeon in MMO terms): The Echo Chamber
    • 5 Dead Ghosts (collectables that contain lore and story)
    • 3 Iron Banner armor sets (The PS4 version of the game has an extra armor set for each class during the monthly Iron Banner event that Xbox players can't acquire)

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    its honestly pretty ghastly, and im not someone whos usually bothered by those kind of shenanigans, but in a game like destiny, where basically the whole point is grinding for loot, to make a raid and several armour sets exclusive to one platform is super bad. I was going to try and get into Destiny 2 since I didnt really click with the first one, I hope they dont do something that bad again

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    its honestly pretty ghastly, and im not someone whos usually bothered by those kind of shenanigans, but in a game like destiny, where basically the whole point is grinding for loot, to make a raid and several armour sets exclusive to one platform is super bad. I was going to try and get into Destiny 2 since I didnt really click with the first one, I hope they dont do something that bad again

Doing it with D2 will be even worse as you'll be dicking over PC players too.

• Options

Doing it with D2 will be even worse as you'll be dicking over PC players too.

that's assuming the deal covers the PC version. i doubt Sony are as bothered about keeping content off the PC as they are about getting a leg up over Xbox specifically.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017

aUDcI5k.png?1

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    maintenance on Thursday may see some disruption to backwards compatibility. don't panic if things don't work as intended.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

aUDcI5k.png?1

More timed exclusive content.
    Yeah I'm not playing that game anymore Bungie. I'm just going to give Destiny 2 a pass.

• Options

• 3 Iron Banner armor sets (The PS4 version of the game has an extra armor set for each class during the monthly Iron Banner event that Xbox players can't acquire)

That's a decent amount of content, at least by the looks of it. Well, money naturally talks, and at least it I can't accuse Activision of "total fucking stupidity" on the order of what SNK-Playmore did with KOFXIV (as I've bemoaned in the past).

• Options
    Wait you have some beef about KoF? News to me :P

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular

That's a decent amount of content, at least by the looks of it. Well, money naturally talks, and at least it I can't accuse Activision of "total fucking stupidity" on the order of what SNK-Playmore did with KOFXIV (as I've bemoaned in the past).
    It's not the act of having exclusive content that bothers me. That happens all the time. It's the length. I'm totally fine with 2-3 months. "At least 1 year" is total garbage.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
This discussion has been closed.