Options

[Wrestlingmania] the ultimate somethingsomethingmumblemumble

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    here is dean malenko on a date with lita

https://youtu.be/n7TCo65_A7o

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Ok, but now find Miz and Morrison on a date with the Bella Twins

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    no this is now the dean malenko thread sorry

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    armbar

• Options
  • Options
    no this is now the dean malenko thread sorry

did you mean prince iaukea?

• Options
    who?

oh did you mean the artist formerly known as prince iaukea?

https://youtu.be/m8LNFWlc5_w

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    i always mean the artist formerly known as prince iaukea

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    So has anyone used the ring name "Local Competitor" yet?

That seems like something that might happen at Joey Janela's Spring Break.

Joe Hendry is the Local Hero. The Local Competitor would be his sidekick?

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Radius wrote: »
    Ok, but now find Miz and Morrison on a date with the Bella Twins

*gasp*

the colons

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I have bad news for you: You're going to see Authority 3.0.

WWE, sadly, has a reliance on using *ahem* authority figures to drive storylines. Whether it's Vince making a return to help/screw someone, Steph screeching at someone over a mic that she's the queen and they're nothing, or now HHH being the final boss at WM for people they're trying to push, I don't see them getting rid of the trope any time soon. Hell, even AJ is in a fight with a MEEKMAHON over on SD. The writers can't help themselves with this stuff.

It's been happening since Austin and they've fallen back on it ever since.

Yeah, I know. I've been watching it for years and years, and I'm quite sick of it. She out-villains the villains, and punishes the heroes in ways that there is no recourse.

Foley at least lent a sense of balance, alongside Stephanie's recently-deteriorated attempt to suck up to people. Now she's in full-on witch mode and playing it to the fullest, and I see no reason for her to stop.

Just... no. People act like she got her comeuppance when Roman speared her, but besides being an accident, it didn't change a damn thing. That's hardly comeuppance; that's a speed bump, a minor setback.

At least on SDLive, we barely see Shane, biggest event of the year notwithstanding. Even when we do, he's pretty even-handed and more often than not, just lets things play out until such time as he has to step in.

It's a vastly different dynamic, one more akin to what we see with Regal in NXT, and by far the one I prefer to the boss's daughter exacting revenge on everyone who dared to talk to the GM that she herself hired.

Of course, the BEST one is 205 Live, where we see no authority figure, but know someone is calling the shots.

Know who I miss as an evil authority figure, though? If we have to have one, I mean? Those like Vickie and Bischoff. Their power wasn't absolute, and they could be put in their place more than bi-annually.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Yep, Mauro is probably gone.

This is such a leap. I'm reading a news site and it just says he's missed this weeks smackdown as well. That's 8 days in a row, people have 30 days+ off for wellness violations, why would he be fired for a bi-polar issue (itself a rumour) and having to take 2 shows off? If they wanted rid of him he'd already be gone. Unless he asks for an out.

It's not exactly a secret, so I would hope that when WWE hired him, they'd make allowances knowing this could happen.

If it's true this time, I mean.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    So has anyone used the ring name "Local Competitor" yet?

That seems like something that might happen at Joey Janela's Spring Break.

Ricardo Rodriguez wrestled as El Local on Saturday Morning Slam and NXT a few times. That's the closest I've got.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    According to squaredcirclesirens.com, independent wrestler Veda Scott was backstage at last night’s Smackdown in Connecticut. Since her departure from Ring of Honor in December, Scott has stayed busy, working WSU, AIW, Beyond Wrestling, WWR and many other places.

Note to WWE, sign Veda Scott

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    According to squaredcirclesirens.com, independent wrestler Veda Scott was backstage at last night’s Smackdown in Connecticut. Since her departure from Ring of Honor in December, Scott has stayed busy, working WSU, AIW, Beyond Wrestling, WWR and many other places.

If only they had some sort of women's tournament coming that they needed to staff up for.

• Options
    Sprout wrote: »

If only they had some sort of women's tournament coming that they needed to staff up for.

That would be cool, though honestly Scott is also a really good valet.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    I have bad news for you: You're going to see Authority 3.0.

WWE, sadly, has a reliance on using *ahem* authority figures to drive storylines. Whether it's Vince making a return to help/screw someone, Steph screeching at someone over a mic that she's the queen and they're nothing, or now HHH being the final boss at WM for people they're trying to push, I don't see them getting rid of the trope any time soon. Hell, even AJ is in a fight with a MEEKMAHON over on SD. The writers can't help themselves with this stuff.

It's been happening since Austin and they've fallen back on it ever since.

Yeah, I know. I've been watching it for years and years, and I'm quite sick of it. She out-villains the villains, and punishes the heroes in ways that there is no recourse.

Foley at least lent a sense of balance, alongside Stephanie's recently-deteriorated attempt to suck up to people. Now she's in full-on witch mode and playing it to the fullest, and I see no reason for her to stop.

Just... no. People act like she got her comeuppance when Roman speared her, but besides being an accident, it didn't change a damn thing. That's hardly comeuppance; that's a speed bump, a minor setback.

At least on SDLive, we barely see Shane, biggest event of the year notwithstanding. Even when we do, he's pretty even-handed and more often than not, just lets things play out until such time as he has to step in.

It's a vastly different dynamic, one more akin to what we see with Regal in NXT, and by far the one I prefer to the boss's daughter exacting revenge on everyone who dared to talk to the GM that she herself hired.

Of course, the BEST one is 205 Live, where we see no authority figure, but know someone is calling the shots.

Know who I miss as an evil authority figure, though? If we have to have one, I mean? Those like Vickie and Bischoff. Their power wasn't absolute, and they could be put in their place more than bi-annually.

Foley needs a new hip though...he always had to be written off, I suspect there will be a new GM coming to balance things out again. They are just going to make you really, really want it first.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I know it's, like, an established term but can I say how much I hate the term valet

Its demeaning! Like, you don't call Heyman Brock's valet! And it, unintentional or not, seems to always get applied to ladies who are managing dudes. Which is gross as heck.

Just call them managers or partners or something

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    not gonna lie, calling Heyman 'valet' makes me laugh the same way 'Lonely Pupper Baron Corbin' does

so now it's a done deal for me

• Options
    I wonder if WWE try's to turn AA now. Kurt Angle being around may make that weird, assuming he's on TV after Mania.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I don't think the term itself is demeaning? But then again I say that as someone whose literal biggest ambition in life is to be a valet. The real issue is the way women who are "attached" to male wrestlers are presented in general.

I do agree that the fact that the term is applied almost exclusively to women is problematic on several levels though, and I am aware enough of how most people view people in "servant" roles to know that for many people it probably is viewed as demeaning by default.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I don't think the term itself is demeaning? But then again I say that as someone whose literal biggest ambition in life is to be a valet. The real issue is the way women who are "attached" to male wrestlers are presented in general.

Veda is a great valet/manager exactly because she's not attached that way.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    I think Virgil was usually referred to as a valet.

For what that's worth.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    I always thought that the difference between a valet and manager was how involved that character was in the matches and story of the people they were paired with. Like, someone who cut promos and was actively involved in matches coaching the wrestlers throughout was a manager, while someone who was simply accompanying a wrestler to the ring was a valet.

So as I term I don't mind it. The issue for me is more so that you almost solely see women as valets and hardly ever men, while both men and women act as managers.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

For what that's worth.
    That's also not great!

Calling the black dude that a rich white dude pays to follow him around and do shit for him a valet has some not great implications

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

For what that's worth.
    That's also not great!

Calling the black dude that a rich white dude pays to follow him around and do shit for him a valet has some not great implications

True, but at least Virgil got out of it in the end.

Plus he was more of a bodyguard at the start.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Was Virgil a valet or was he a manservant?

Gorgeous George had a male valet. I think that's also why they put Rockstar Spud together with whatever mid-90's PS1 game Damien Sandow has named himself after now.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    David_T wrote: »
    Was Virgil a valet or was he a manservant?

Gorgeous George had a male valet. I think that's also why they put Rockstar Spud together with whatever mid-90's PS1 game Damien Sandow has named himself after now.

Virgil started out as muscle, then became a standard man servant till he got sick of Ted's shit.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

For what that's worth.
    That's also not great!

To be fair, I think the not greatness was kind of the point. The idea was to make DiBiase look like a scumbucket, and make Virgil's eventual face turn look like a big deal.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    Veda Scott really is a great manager. She can demand and argue for a match for her clients like nobody's business. She's also just got a great speaking voice in general.

• Options
    Thinking about how much AA lost their heat, NXT needs to stop being the primary crutch for character development now.

But SDL is usually dependable on good writing, wonder why AA got so shafted. Maybe they thought their skills would keep them over?

• Options
    Same for Apollo Crews, who I still think needs to go back to NXT unless they have actual plans for him after Mania.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Ironically the tag division is probably getting shafted because of the focus on the women's division. While on RAW 3 hours is too much because they can't write for shit, on Smackdown 2 hours doesn't seem to be enough time despite the more diminished roster and we do get a healthy focus on the women's storylines week to week. Yeah this week you could cut Cena/Fandango, but most weeks it is fairly densely packed. There just doesn't often seem to be room to get a solid tag match in so they always end up on Talking Smack instead.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Manager = gives advice during the match, does contract negotiations, defacto leader - Heenan, Veda, Lana

Valet = personal assistant, holds ropes, gathers robes, functions like an entourage- Ms Elisabeth, Dalton Castle's boys, Virgil

Personal Advocate= Hype man/ Mouthpiece, little physical involvement in matches - Heyman, he is sort of alone here...

Bodygaurd = personal interference and beat down assistant- Diesel, Dana Brooke

Now obviously these roles bleed together to a certain degree and all of them are responsible for some level of cheating etc in most cases, but I don't really consider Valet sexist it is just a finer definition on the role.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    Manager = gives advice during the match, does contract negotiations, defacto leader - Heenan, Veda, Lana

Valet = personal assistant, holds ropes, gathers robes, functions like an entourage- Ms Elisabeth, Dalton Castle's boys, Virgil

Personal Advocate= Hype man/ Mouthpiece, little physical involvement in matches - Heyman, he is sort of alone here...

Bodygaurd = personal interference and beat down assistant- Diesel, Dana Brooke

Now obviously these roles bleed together to a certain degree and all of them are responsible for some level of cheating etc in most cases, but I don't really consider Valet sexist it is just a finer definition on the role.

Just to give another example of the PA role, Elijah Burke debuted in WWE doing that for Sylvester Terkay, before they decided to push him as a wrestler in his own right.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    The MizYse stuff started off kinda hokey but they ran that proposal gag just the right amount of times. Maryse's repeated hand on mouth slaps were golden.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    that tag match was great, I wonder if they're gonna do a multi team thing at mania like Raw is (and like all the women divisions are) and they wanted to get this out of their system

also, since I'm complaining about the multi person diva/tag matches I'll point out that it's nice that it seems we're getting 1v1 for US and IC titles.

edit - also this is probably how the crowd would have sounded for roman if he turned a few months before winning the title.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    It's a shame that they chose to do another big title win on normal television, especially a week out from Mania. There's no feud for the Usos with one Smackdown to go so the titles, if they do get a match at Mania, will not have any drive behind them, while the Usos solidifying their character change with a big win there would have been a more standout moment.

Given the open nature of the women's title match, I think maybe they will debut someone there and have them win, the most obvious choice being Asuka.

This discussion has been closed.