Options

[The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild] Bokoblin Genocide Simulator

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    About fighting guardians:
    You can parry their laser shots back at them. Kills them in one hit and the timing is really generous.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Timeline speculation
    (spoilers for some main story stuff)
    Based on the whole backstory told to you by the king when you leave the plateau, I'd already assumed that this game takes place after (waaay after) Twilight Princess on the Child Link timeline. Because of the state Hyrule is in in the Adult Link timeline, there was no way Breath of the Wild can take place anywhere (anywhen?) on there. The Fallen Hero timeline is kind of a mess anyway, though I guess it could theoretically take place at the end of that one.

However, I just found another memory and in it, Zelda was talking about the Master Sword being "skyward bound, adrift in time and steeped in the embers of twilight". Pretty obvious hint.
    Some people speculate that this game is just in general at the End Of All Things. Tying all the timelines together in various ways.

Because there is a thing in-game that is said to have the potential to flood the entire world...

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I think I just hit my first dungeon and everything leading up this was a real rush.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    This game has reminded me how much gameplay is always the focus of great games. I've had so much fun experimenting with different ways to use things and exploring this weekend. The combat too is VERY fun! I've found some tough enemies that made me mix up my approach alot. They all seem to have a trick to them beyond the basic enemies that makes you think.

Really that's what I feel this game does - makes you think and be creative at figuring things out. I love it, and I've felt like it's what's missing from so many games these days.

Hail the return of the king!

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The second village shrine was the first time I got frustrated with BotW. I couldn't help but laugh when I found my solution.
    I just flipped that damn board over and rolled the ball on the flat of it. So much easier.

Maybe its better with the switch controls, but trying to do it with the WiiU gamepad was hell.

SeñorAmor wrote: »
    So am I supposed to just ignore the quest to get the raw meat (presumably from the boars) and use a different method to get to the 3rd shrine in the cold (torch, is what I've read above)? I can't count the number of times I've hit one of those stupid things smack in the forehead with an arrow only to have it run away. The lack of them is really starting to piss me off as it's a 20 minute trek before another one pops up.

I really hate this game so far. The starter area for a game shouldn't be so damn hard, especially for a Zelda game and especially since it's a Zelda game like no other fucking Zelda game before it.

You're not really supposed to do anything in this game. Other than beat the big bad. Just try to look at problems not as a question with one solution. Spend some time exploring the mechanics and reading item descriptions, and the spirit of the game should be apparent. That should make everything less frustrating.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Yeah, the only things you absolutely must do in this game are:
    1. Activate the first tower
    2. Get the four runes from the shrines on the plateau
    3. Get the paraglider
    4. Kill Ganon

Everything else is optional, and how you do any of those things is completely up to you and is not mandatory. You have to train yourself to experiment and do things your own way, don't get stuck thinking there is a specific way to do anything. I think we even had reports in this thread of a particularly weird puzzle being solved by three different people in three different ways earlier today.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I've been trying to complete the "Stranded on Eventide" mission for about four hours now. You have to clear the whole thing without dying. I was so close this last time but blew myself up with an exploding barrel.

I spent my afternoon doing that as well. I died many times before I finally got it. Spoilers for how I did it:
    When you spawn, head right to the camp on the beach and get some basic weapons. Immediately skip to nighttime at the fire to avoid the lightning storm. Then go pick the 12 mighty bananas, you'll need them for cooking later. Head over to the bokoblin camp treehouse with the first ball and dispose of them, make sure to get a few arrows, you'll need them. Go put the first ball in the water area using cryosis.

Once you're done with the first ball, go up the small mountain with the 4 fire barrels and clear out the enemies there. You can use the electric jellies to shock them all. Do not blow up the barrels. Use the pot here to cook a ton of meals, make sure to cook two 5 banana foods for yourself. If you found the spiky ball fruit, you can make a meal that gives you 5+ extra hearts which will make taking out the enemies on the top of the mountain much easier.

Go to the top of the mountain at night. Sneak around and assassinate all of the small bokoblins, and then sneak attack the small blue bokoblin to mostly kill him. The only enemies left should be an archer lookout and the big blue moblin, who can one shot you easily. This guy might break all of your weapons, so be careful with him. Feel free to use one of your 5 banana foods to kill him faster. Do the second ball and make sure to loot the chest and get the 26 power sword. There's also a 16 power sword that the blue bokoblin was using.

Once you're done, go back to the small mountain and wake up the giant by rolling the boulders at him. He should start walking up the ramp toward you, so throw the fire barrels at him until you run out. Once you run out, use your 5 banana food to buff your attack, and walk in front of him in melee range. He should either roar at you so you can shoot his eye, or he will try to smush you with his hands. Backflip away and once he tries to smush you, you should have a shot at his eye. Once you hit his eye, he falls over and you can do a combo. Rinse, repeat, done.

I only have such a refined strategy because it took me like 20 deaths to clear that stupid island :P

I ended up combining a bunch of food to make a meal that gives you twenty temporary hearts. Then I discovered you can land on the Hinox's belly with the paraglider without waking it up, allowing me to take the weapons and the orb on his necklace easily. I didn't bother fighting the Hinox for real until after I had beat the trial.

• Options
    I've been trying to complete the "Stranded on Eventide" mission for about four hours now. You have to clear the whole thing without dying. I was so close this last time but blew myself up with an exploding barrel.

I spent my afternoon doing that as well. I died many times before I finally got it. Spoilers for how I did it:
    When you spawn, head right to the camp on the beach and get some basic weapons. Immediately skip to nighttime at the fire to avoid the lightning storm. Then go pick the 12 mighty bananas, you'll need them for cooking later. Head over to the bokoblin camp treehouse with the first ball and dispose of them, make sure to get a few arrows, you'll need them. Go put the first ball in the water area using cryosis.

Once you're done with the first ball, go up the small mountain with the 4 fire barrels and clear out the enemies there. You can use the electric jellies to shock them all. Do not blow up the barrels. Use the pot here to cook a ton of meals, make sure to cook two 5 banana foods for yourself. If you found the spiky ball fruit, you can make a meal that gives you 5+ extra hearts which will make taking out the enemies on the top of the mountain much easier.

Go to the top of the mountain at night. Sneak around and assassinate all of the small bokoblins, and then sneak attack the small blue bokoblin to mostly kill him. The only enemies left should be an archer lookout and the big blue moblin, who can one shot you easily. This guy might break all of your weapons, so be careful with him. Feel free to use one of your 5 banana foods to kill him faster. Do the second ball and make sure to loot the chest and get the 26 power sword. There's also a 16 power sword that the blue bokoblin was using.

Once you're done, go back to the small mountain and wake up the giant by rolling the boulders at him. He should start walking up the ramp toward you, so throw the fire barrels at him until you run out. Once you run out, use your 5 banana food to buff your attack, and walk in front of him in melee range. He should either roar at you so you can shoot his eye, or he will try to smush you with his hands. Backflip away and once he tries to smush you, you should have a shot at his eye. Once you hit his eye, he falls over and you can do a combo. Rinse, repeat, done.

I only have such a refined strategy because it took me like 20 deaths to clear that stupid island :P

I ended up combining a bunch of food to make a meal that gives you twenty temporary hearts. Then I discovered you can land on the Hinox's belly with the paraglider without waking it up, allowing me to take the weapons and the orb on his necklace easily. I didn't bother fighting the Hinox for real until after I had beat the trial.

....god fucking dammit.

That's actually hilarious. I went to all that trouble and did it the super hard way, I guess.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I've been using the built-in screen capture button to capture any recipes I'm likely to use again, but most of the things I've tried have been pretty self-explanatory. Try a couple variations on the same theme and the mechanics become plain.

I have seen some shit I have no idea how to approach yet. The region in the Southeast was hilarious and terrifying.

Overworld puzzle spoiler for that area:
    There's something under a rock that a nearby character says needs to be struck by lightning to break open. It's raining and I have no other solution, so I threw on all the metallic gear I have and just waited.

Sparks start building up around me, and I started thinking I've got this figured out...

Lightning strikes, the rock I'm standing on blows the hell up, and I died immediately.

So. Maybe not the best solution with four hearts.
    Perhaps you should have thrown the metallic gear on the rock instead of on yourself? This is the sort of game where that kind of thing actually works.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I am failing miserably to train horses. I've perfected my 'nonchalant apple rolling down a hill' technique, but not getting bucked off has so far alluded me.

Also found some octoroks and without giving anything away they are definitely worth finding.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I forgot I stopped playing last night overlooking a coast/beach and it just took my breath away when I started it up and was looking over the edge

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    I've been using the built-in screen capture button to capture any recipes I'm likely to use again, but most of the things I've tried have been pretty self-explanatory. Try a couple variations on the same theme and the mechanics become plain.

I have seen some shit I have no idea how to approach yet. The region in the Southeast was hilarious and terrifying.

Overworld puzzle spoiler for that area:
    There's something under a rock that a nearby character says needs to be struck by lightning to break open. It's raining and I have no other solution, so I threw on all the metallic gear I have and just waited.

Sparks start building up around me, and I started thinking I've got this figured out...

Lightning strikes, the rock I'm standing on blows the hell up, and I died immediately.

So. Maybe not the best solution with four hearts.
    Perhaps you should have thrown the metallic gear on the rock instead of on yourself? This is the sort of game where that kind of thing actually works.

Didn't even cross my mind. Might give that a shot later tonight, but the whole area was pushing me pretty hard for where my stats and equipment were.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    I am failing miserably to train horses. I've perfected my 'nonchalant apple rolling down a hill' technique, but not getting bucked off has so far alluded me.

Also found some octoroks and without giving anything away they are definitely worth finding.

The dappled horses don't require you to fight them. Ever.

The solid color ones? Mash L. Constantly fighting to control for a while.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2017
    Very minor mount spoiler
    I wish I could stable sand walruses.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The second village shrine was the first time I got frustrated with BotW. I couldn't help but laugh when I found my solution.
    I just flipped that damn board over and rolled the ball on the flat of it. So much easier.

Maybe its better with the switch controls, but trying to do it with the WiiU gamepad was hell.

Haha! I remember that one! I didn't do it in quite the same way, but I sure as hell did it in an unintended manner.
    i tilted the board vertically, so that when the ball reapawned, it fell directly into the final straightaway, meaning I could just skip every other part of the puzzle and do the final jump.

"It's called cheating! Deal with it!"

Enlong on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

The way I beat it
    I only had a handful of arrows left when I tried to kill the Hinox and I managed to miss his eye with nearly all of them. The two boulders I rolled down the hill didn't hit him either. I thought I was boned..but the Hinox is obviously really large and slow, making him the perfect target for bombs. I was standing on top of the hill and he was slowly walking up that slope to get to me and I managed to get him into a sort of endless loop where I threw down a bomb at him, detonated it, and by the time he had recovered from the hit and started walking again, my bomb had recharged. It took a couple of minutes, but it ended up being totally safe and easy.

I also wonder if you could maybe use an arrow to sever the rope that's holding the orb around his neck.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I watched my brother play through the Zora area.

Man I am more interested in the cast of this game, and their stories, than I have been with the cast of pretty much every LOZ game before this.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The best part of the story is cutscenes where characters try really hard to make Link's silence look natural while also being an actual character within the world.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Wait, there are no new tools to be gained or anything? The Bomb/Ice pillar/Magnet/stasis kit you get at the start of the game is literally it?
    AFAIK, yes (based on what those who have finished already have said).

Those four runes (and some hard logical/deductive thinking skills) are all that you need to do pretty much all of the puzzle-based Shrines.
    In fact it might even be possible to do them naked, without anything else equipped.

...that is actually lame as hell. Progressively gaining new treasures that let you do completely new things was always cool. That actually cools down my enthusiasm a lot. Such is open world, I suppose. Have to do wide design instead of tall.

On another note, I'm currently at Hateno village. Is there any way to hold more weapons, anytime soon? Because with weapons lasting like three to five enemies and wanting to keep inventory slots for utility stuff (you know, torch, leaf, mining hammer...) it makes me want to not fight things whenever I get a few decent swords as shrine treasures.

There actually is a bit of that still there, it's just tied into equipment rather than new abilities. I've found a piece of armor that lets me do something that would be impossible without it.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    htt ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcZH5lvbQkU

I prefer this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkcjA91EGeI

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    As someone who is only a mild Zelda fan at best, it's weird for me to say that this is rapidly becoming one of my top 5 games of ALL time.
    There's still time for that to change of course, but I can't recall the last time I've been so absorbed in a game world.
    ...or the last time I played something for 7 hours straight, or whatever insane amount I did today.

vamen on
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Seriously how do you beat guardians if can't
    get the parry timing down?

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    The ones in the combat trials?
    I've been letting them charge at me when I'm behind a pillar so that they knock themselves senseless for a bit so I can wail on them.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

The way I beat it
    I only had a handful of arrows left when I tried to kill the Hinox and I managed to miss his eye with nearly all of them. The two boulders I rolled down the hill didn't hit him either. I thought I was boned..but the Hinox is obviously really large and slow, making him the perfect target for bombs. I was standing on top of the hill and he was slowly walking up that slope to get to me and I managed to get him into a sort of endless loop where I threw down a bomb at him, detonated it, and by the time he had recovered from the hit and started walking again, my bomb had recharged. It took a couple of minutes, but it ended up being totally safe and easy.

I also wonder if you could maybe use an arrow to sever the rope that's holding the orb around his neck.
    I just beat him to death with a metal crate

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    The ones in the combat trials?
    I've been letting them charge at me when I'm behind a pillar so that they knock themselves senseless for a bit so I can wail on them.
    Having done a few of them now, I've experimented quite a bit. Shock and ice arrows are very effective at interrupting their laser-times and letting you get in for a quick couple of strikes. Also when they go swirly laser, notice the air around you rises. You can take a little hang glider breather waiting for them to be finished spinning. As for their "final form" laser, you can wail away at them while they charge, and start moving away as the blue gas cloud shrinks around them (their charge indicator for all intents and purposes), then sprint in a wide arc as the red laser vanishes. If you don't want to parry their shots with your shield, that is.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I just had another holy shit moment in the game.. South of the starting plateau...

So I travel over Lake Hylia using the bridge, get a better horse now that I have stamina worth a damn, fail to catch a bear a few times, and knock a couple more shrines off my list. I decide to head to where one of my memories is hidden, thanks to the painting guy giving me advice, so I'm moving along the east coast of Lake Hylia..

Dusk is falling...

And holy FUCK what is that? Quickly, pull out the camera, take a picture... a LIGHTNING GOD DRAGON? I bet I can ride it.. but I only get a couple shots. Finally, it circles around close enough, and I try to paraglide to it.. when the lightning knocks me out of the air. I survived barely, then watched as it flew upwards and into a hole in the sky.

... Next time. Holy hell..

This damned game.. I want my TV back damnit so I can see this stuff on a glorious 51" 720P plasma!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    This game is some bullshit. Mounts:
    5a0eyzjpumb2.jpg

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    With that mount stuff I kind of expect
    that maybe somewhere in this massive world is some crazy eccentric person in the woods who will let you board bears and elk and such.

• Options
    timhodgetimhodge AustraliaRegistered User regular
    For everyone who's determined to cook up that stupid old man's stupid recipe to get his stupid clothes to survive the stupid cold but is struggling to kill a stupid boar... forget boars, it doesn't have to be a boar. Lot of internet dudes being all BOAR but a bloody pigeon leg does the job.

This is the one thing I wish I knew sooner.

0877-0596-8498 | Swirlix, Dedenne, Floette
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    timhodge wrote: »
    For everyone who's determined to cook up that stupid old man's stupid recipe to get his stupid clothes to survive the stupid cold but is struggling to kill a stupid boar... forget boars, it doesn't have to be a boar. Lot of internet dudes being all BOAR but a bloody pigeon leg does the job.

Yup, just add spice(s) to any kind of meat, those people struggling could have even done it using a fish. And they're right there in the first pond you come across. :D

Maybe some people are just so used to games telling (or training them) what they're 'supposed' to do so much that they're failing to connect the dots?
    But then the range of possible solutions to just about everything in this game is, admittedly, quite staggering.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    any meat works in addition to the other thing required. spoiler for those in the starting area trying to figure it out
    you need meat, pepper, and a bass fish which you can grab in one of the ponds

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    timhodge wrote: »

Or just be like me and finish the starting area without that guy's stupid ass jacket. Or cooking any food.

Speaking of weather, fuck lightning. I'm sure there's an easy way to deal with it that I was too tired to pay attention for.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Another spoiler for two additional ways to get the same item without needing to cook that recipe:
    1. Cook up a dish with lots of peppers in it, then go wandering around the ice area. At the very top of the mountain, you will find the old man and he will give you his warm doublet.
    2. Finish all of the shrines and get the paraglider, then go back to the old man's house. The warm doublet will be in a treasure chest.

• Options
    Pailryder wrote: »
    any meat works in addition to the other thing required. spoiler for those in the starting area trying to figure it out
    you need meat, pepper, and a bass fish which you can grab in one of the ponds

I used something totally different... and a different outcome.
    Peppers, apple, mushroom. Get to the top of the mountain and get the clothes there instead for being a badass...

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    oh yeah, lots of ways to do it, i just wanted to unlock that recipe :)
    this game is really pushing my limits of rushing to do things and really just enjoying the exploration/experimentation. I wish i could permanent mark shrines on the map, the 5 markers is not enough...if i can see it then my map should reflect it!

• Options
    By the way, this is a spoiler I guess but I consider it an important thing everyone should know. This is how you fish:
    Throw bombs at them. Dynamite fishing. Really easy.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    oh yeah, lots of ways to do it, i just wanted to unlock that recipe :)
    this game is really pushing my limits of rushing to do things and really just enjoying the exploration/experimentation. I wish i could permanent mark shrines on the map, the 5 markers is not enough...if i can see it then my map should reflect it!

You can change those markers to stamps, ya know. I use stars for shrines and the diamond thing for towers.

Also, you forgot yet another way to get the warm doublet...
    Pay for it in Kakariko Village like I did. Capitalism!

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    By the way, this is a spoiler I guess but I consider it an important thing everyone should know. This is how you fish:
    Throw bombs at them. Dynamite fishing. Really easy.

Alternative
    Full Zora armor and just run them down

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Woops wrong thread

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch