As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Borderlands] Sorry, your Vault is on another planet...

curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue DealerRegistered User regular
Greetings folks!

Welcome to Borderlands thread NUMBER TWENTY!

Previous thread (and OP) found here:

Link

Borderlands as a game universe has now spanned multiple titles from multiple developers, including an excellent Telltale Games spinoff.

The main titles:

Borderlands 1
I'll populate this soon.

Borderlands 2
Borderlands 2 is here! [links are broken, I'll fix em soon.]

Four SIX new classes:
Salvador the Gunzerker -- Dual wields guns (any guns) Salvador's Skills
Maya the Siren -- Phaselock for crowd control, healing, damage Maya's Skills
Axton the Soldier Guy -- Snazzy turret Axton's Skills (Note: Do or Die is a 1 point skill, not 5.)
Zero the Loner -- Sword, sniper, sneaky Zer0's Skills
Gaige the Mechromancer -- Hulking robot summon, ponies Gaige's Skills
Krieg the Psycho -- BURNING HULKING RAGE ALL THE DAMN TIME Krieg's Skills

How about some gameplay from PAX (August 2012)?

What else?

It's Steamworks. Very nice.

The original Vault Hunters are all be in game as NPCs, including a 'live' Lilith.

There's a dashing bad guy, Handsome Jack, who has taken over the Hyperion Corporation and built himself a moon base from which he can shoot down robot reinforcements.

Gun manufacturers are way more significant in the new game. Bandit weapons have huge magazines. When you reload a Tediore weapon you chuck it like a grenade and it explodes (the rocket launchers actually shoot a rocket). Maliwan is sexy and elemental. Vladoff weapons have insane fire rates. Jakobs guns fire as fast as you can click/pull the trigger. Torgue guns? EXPLOSIONS! Etc. Non-gun loot (grenades, mods, artifacts, skins, heads, etc.) is also be randomized and way more diverse than BL1. Grenades that create a mob-sucking singularity before exploding in corrosive acid and also giving transfusion health? Yes please!

Main game bank for storing items and transferring items between characters.

New currency: eridium. Can be used to buy inventory, ammo and bank upgrades on the black market.

Lots of new bad guys - mobs and bosses - including some that will evolve Pokemon style into much more dangerous forms if you don't kill them quickly.

Character skins and heads

New element: slag! Slagged enemies are more susceptible to damage.

You can move while in Fight For Your Life mode - yay!

New end game raid boss -- Terramorphous the Invincible -- supposed to make Crawmerax look like a sea monkey.

Gearbox has committed to 4 DLC, along the lines of Knoxx in scope they say, by June of 2013. Price is $10 each (or comparable) and there is a season pass to get all 4 for $30.

And, oh yes, midgets on shields...

NON-EXPIRING LIST OF SHIFT CODES

Borderlands: The Pre-sequel
I'll populate this soon.

Ancillary works:

Tales from the Borderlands
To be populated!

RxI0N.png
Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Fancy screens and links will be edited in ASAP. I'm a little swamped at the moment due to buying a house and moving.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Having only played Borderlands 2 and Tales, how different was the writing in 1?

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Hm I wouldn't say too different just much, much less of it.

Halfway through development the artists lead a bit of a mutiny in regards to the art style and the game was reconfigured around it. So some things were sparse.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    The first Borderlands was such a treat. Lilith was my jam. Phasewalk was just incredibly fun to use. I liked to use a shotgun, activate phasewalk in the middle of a bunch of dudes, they all explode and catch on fire, then I run to the back lines and melee/shotgun anything bothersome back there.

I played a bunch of Zer0 in BL2 because he was much closer to style of play than Maya could be. But no one compares to Lilith.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Think fighting game plot.

Bad guys there, punch/shoot them.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    The first Borderlands was such a treat. Lilith was my jam. Phasewalk was just incredibly fun to use. I liked to use a shotgun, activate phasewalk in the middle of a bunch of dudes, they all explode and catch on fire, then I run to the back lines and melee/shotgun anything bothersome back there.

I played a bunch of Zer0 in BL2 because he was much closer to style of play than Maya could be. But no one compares to Lilith.

That was the core problem with BL1; their was a massive gulf in the balance between the characters with Lilith being the Apex predator of the bunch.

Like seriously: roland's turret might as well have been shooting dirty looks for all the damage it did.

• envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    That new thread smell

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Wishlist for Borderlands 3:
    - No terrible writing like from TPS.
    - Same mechanical functionality to the skill trees as TPS.
    - Please just be on Pandora or a planet.
    - Can we see some green somewhere? It'll be neat. Like more lush. Not ENTIRELY green.
    - No more forced repeat of story content, be it a separate mode or something.
    - Maybe scale back on the necessity of elemental damage.
    - Maybe make elemental damage more elaborate in how it affects various things rather than "this vs that."
    - Torgue.

To explain the skill tree thing; in TPS, there was a row in each skill tree that only needed one point put into it, and would make the next row available while also offering a substantial effect. Also in general the TPS skill trees were more substantial in their effects, not as much "+2%!" nonsense.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    What's wrong with TPS writing? Too much Handsome Jack?

Wait, just to clarify is it "plot and character motivation"-writing, or "dialogue"-writing that you hate in either BL2 or TPS? Bit of both?

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    TPS writing had to evolve Jack into the villain, but couldn't go too overboard because then he'd be more villainous than in the game where he's an actual villain.
    And then they didn't do that and Moxxi became Deus Ex Machina and the whole thing was kind of a mess that should have been written alongside BL2 instead of after it.

Previous thread:
    cB557 wrote:
    I've got this bullshit gimmick build on my siren with the Rough Rider, a Breakneck Banshee class mod, and maxed Fleet, so I just run past everything.
    Yeah, that's the best way to play Maya. Just swap in some BeeHawk once in a while and you're good to go.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

That was the core problem with BL1; their was a massive gulf in the balance between the characters with Lilith being the Apex predator of the bunch.

Like seriously: roland's turret might as well have been shooting dirty looks for all the damage it did.

Roland definitely sucked, but there were builds for Mordecai and Brick that were strong. Lilith might have been the best, I honestly don't remember, but 3 of the 4 classes were viable. Even Roland could as medic; there's just not a lot of cause for a stationary turret in that game.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Lillths daze effect was one of the most broken things ever not only did it slow enemies it also slowed their bullets by the same amount so you could just sidestep their slow projectiles . She also synergized well with smg which had two of the strongest weapons of the game hellfire and dbl anarchy. All in all she was just a really well made character where almost everything she had was useful.

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Dunno what ya'll are talking about when it comes to roland in BL1. Sure, the turret sucked, but when you have functional invincibility (via Stat) as well as ammo regen, you're the most survivable class in the game.

Virtually every other character had their best survivability tied to their class skill. Roland was independent.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Absurdity MatrixAbsurdity Matrix Tumbledown Glory On the OutskirtsRegistered User regular
    I had no complaints about playing BloodwingMordecai. I understand that Lilith was the most powerful, but never could spare the time to invest in a second character.

• Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    The pre-sequel is absolutely gorgeous on PS4.

Wouldn't mind a solid 4 player playthrough over both titles in The Handsome Collection.

i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Spoilers for TPS, @Sorce?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Man True vault hunter mode is god damn brutal and not very fun. Like I don't know how I'm supposed to be leveling, but trying to do it in TVM is like getting a nut kick the whole time. I swear it took me an hour just to kill midgemong and only got him because I managed to luck my way into a tediore shotgun that was ridiculous.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Gaddez wrote: »

Roland definitely sucked, but there were builds for Mordecai and Brick that were strong. Lilith might have been the best, I honestly don't remember, but 3 of the 4 classes were viable. Even Roland could as medic; there's just not a lot of cause for a stationary turret in that game.

The thing is, there actually is a fair ammount of bang for your buck with a stationary turret since a lot of BL1 is advance, pacify area, salvage ammunition/cash/gear, proceed to next area, so having a stable point of firepower should either force enemies into cover (encouraging flanking) or cut down on the scads of enemies that are pushing in on me (like axton's saber turret does in the guerrilla tree).

Roland's turret didn't do that at all; it's damage was pitiful, it had about a 120 degree arc of fire, a rinky dink shield, and utterly pitiful damage. Which would have been at least tolerable if they hadn't tied a giant cooldown to it.

Like for christs sake, there were points where I'd throw it out and a skag would kill it because the barrel was too long to shoot the thing at it's base.

Now that having been said ~ironically~ The shitty class balance in BL1 ties back into my praise of BL2, since the dev team chose to elevate the other classes up to a higher tier of quality (Both salvatore and Axton crush their respective counterparts from BL1) while making Maya not nearly as idiot proof as lilith.

Not for nothing do I refer to BL2 as the perfect sequel.

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Man BL2 is almost a perfect game for me. My buddy and I pick up our OP8 run every once in awhile or one of our dozen alts.

It's like a cozy vacation cabin that's always waiting for you.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Only played Borderlands 1 and 2, did not get TPS because i have no interest in prequels (or handsome jack), have never gotten around trying tales (which sound nice though).

Borderlands 1 was ok (played on Mordekai), did not manage to finish the dlc's though (the arena just kicked my ass, and the one where you went for the weapons bunker thingy just had too much of me driving on opposite ends of the map so i got bored).
    Borderlands 2 was awesome (played on Gaige, anarchy, max stack), the story was ok, humor was great (especially when gaige was at max stack anarchy), still didn't finish all dlc (got tiny tina's whatever, but have not started it, but none of the headhunter ones, the big game hunt kinda killed my drive).

So what would i want from Borderlands 3?
    More, more characters, more guns, more explosions, more map (as in, more, and bigger, areas in which to drive over, shoot at, and blow up enemies).
    More side quests, longer main quest, more interaction with npc's (especially with previous vault hunters).
    And most importantly, more Gaige, seriously, you let me play as gaige (almost certainly not going to happen), and i'll pre order the damn thing as soon as i can.

Nyysjan on
  • Absurdity MatrixAbsurdity Matrix Tumbledown Glory On the OutskirtsRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Man True vault hunter mode is god damn brutal and not very fun. Like I don't know how I'm supposed to be leveling, but trying to do it in TVM is like getting a nut kick the whole time. I swear it took me an hour just to kill midgemong and only got him because I managed to luck my way into a tediore shotgun that was ridiculous.

It's odd: I remember TVHM the same way. There were areas where I'd just try to avoid the worst of the fights so I had a chance to survive (I'm looking at you, Lynchwood). When I hopped back in to UVHM a couple years later, it seemed like it was more of the same misery.

Then I redistributed my skills, and I was suddenly having fun again. My buddy and I are now having a great time at level 72.

Now, OP8? Wow, I can't wrap my head around how to get to OP1. Maybe if we had a Maya in the party, but we've mostly thrown up our hands at this point.

Wait what is giving you trouble in op 0- op 1 ? Plenty of us can give you advice if you tell us what character you are using?

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Wait, just to clarify is it "plot and character motivation"-writing, or "dialogue"-writing that you hate in either BL2 or TPS? Bit of both?
    For me, dialogue. Because I never got far enough into the game to really figure out what was happening with the plot. Something about the way people would speak and words they'd use was different in TPS. And Handsome Jack was not the same character by any stretch. I did check out the ending, to show how Jack becomes omgbadguy, and that was a really lame handling of things. "OH MAN FIRE AND STUFF IT WILL BE COOL." Not even close to how Jack spoke in BL2.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

For me, dialogue. Because I never got far enough into the game to really figure out what was happening with the plot. Something about the way people would speak and words they'd use was different in TPS. And Handsome Jack was not the same character by any stretch. I did check out the ending, to show how Jack becomes omgbadguy, and that was a really lame handling of things. "OH MAN FIRE AND STUFF IT WILL BE COOL." Not even close to how Jack spoke in BL2.

that's probably a result of it being done by 2K's Australian studio. from the parts i played of it there was a lot of Australian voice actors and slang used. can understand why that might cause a bit of a disconnect between it and the other games.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I didn't notice anything off with the dialogue and thought the Space Australia setting was humorous.

That was the other thing I didn't like about TPS. The physics of being in low gravity / no oxygen. It made the fire element (a personal favorite of mine in video games) super useless and the gravity felt like a complication / annoyance that didn't actually add anything. Half the time I was playing I was waiting for my character to touch the ground so I could actually move and gain momentum again.

So my wish list:
    1. More ridiculous guns.
    2. More elemental types.
    3. Fun stuff to do with the cast of previous games.
    4. Better terrain. While I can appreciate the wide open terrain for driving and sniping, I think we're at the point where having tree's would be appreciated.
    5. New archetypes. I adore the vault hunters that we've had, but I'd really appreciate seeing some fresh takes.
    6. More info on the Universe for borderlands. They've been really clever with how they've given us details for the most part and I'd love to see more in the same vein.

I mean if it does take place on several planets I'm sure we can have one or two of them be gimmicky levels. One on a planet with no atmosphere or one underwater like some kind of Atlantis zone or something but yeah the majority of levels / maps / zones whatever should be standard .

Wait what is giving you trouble in op 0- op 1 ? Plenty of us can give you advice if you tell us what character you are using?

Hey, I'm happy to take advice on how to get from 72 into overpower levels!

I have a melee-focused Zer0 (B0re, Death Bl0ss0m, Many Must Fall). My friend plays Axton. If I had to, I could add my other friend who plays Gaige, but that character is still in normal mode.

• KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Borderlands the MMO.

Book it done.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Koreg wrote: »
    Borderlands the MMO.

Book it done.

I would be down with a Destiny-esque (or maybe more PoE or PSO2) Borderlands. Though I am torn on character creation. I love character customization so I'd be cool with it, but then at the same time the characters they make have a lot of personality and style to em. Hrm.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited March 2017
    Well some good general things:

If you are going to be melee you need to be able to heal yourself . Either rubi ( slag) or the grog nozzle with a melee attachment is recommended. This should help keep you above health gate. You need something that you can kill surveyors with fast . At high levels of the gauntlet you will straight up lose if you let them hang around . You need a good corrosive weapon that you can kill super badass loader / constructors with , a LOT of enemies will be weak to corrosive and since every enemy is artificial none are weak to fire . And the most tedious of all you will have to re farm your gear every 2 ish op levels.

As a personal example I recently came back to the game with the explicit purpose of doing op levels cause I never bothered before and managed to do it . Did 0-7 solo and then got frustrated and did 7-8 co op with a random player over matchmaking. It's super annoying but a good personal goal . Another thing to consider is that you don't actually see the entire peak until Op5 . Before that you get a shorter version.

Not having played zer0 I can't help you with builds but I'm sure someone else here can . Would also be helpful to know what's killing you .

Edit - this a nice general guide to the peak.

http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=554710

EspantaPajaro on
    Not having played zer0 I can't help you with builds but I'm sure someone else here can . Would also be helpful to know what's killing you .

Well, what's killing me is mostly... me. My Zer0 wears a Tediore skin because, with a Rapier and a Love Thumper, my strategy is (a) throw myself at enemies and (b) EXPLODE. It's fun, but I can't imagine that's a workable plan on Digistruct Peak.

I've seen some build advice but, honestly, it helps hearing an opinion of OP levels where someone is having fun. Can't say I'd be super enthusiastic about farming unique equipment since that involves a story restart.

Also, the digistruct enemies really aren't vulnerable to fire? That... might be a huge part of our problem. Oh, Heart Breaker, you will be missed...

As long as you have a evisceration rubi grog nozzle you can throw yourself against the Great Wall of China and survive provided you get above health gate fast enough. But yeah nothing in the peak is real so none of it is flesh and only takes normal damage from fire . The farm part is inevitable by the time your op 2 you will be facing lvl 74-76 enemies if you still have 72 equipment with a few exceptions it's going to suck. The guide I linked has some zero strategy at the bottom too so I hope that helps.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So flipped my zerker into full offense and managed to actually do decently tonight even got 3 oranges from drops (boom boom grenade, the thunderfist and hammer burst) so that was fun.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Hey is there actually a healthy amount of people here playing Borderlands 2 (on Steam)? I'd be down.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Hey is there actually a healthy amount of people here playing Borderlands 2 (on Steam)? I'd be down.
    I come back to it from time to time.

cB557 wrote: »
    I come back to it from time to time.
    Just a couple folks more and we can run around doing some mayhem. I'd probably prefer fresh starts for everyone, I've been wanting to try being the Psycho in a group.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I was thinking of maybe getting The Handsome Collection for the XB1 if anyone wants to party up there.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    I was thinking of maybe getting The Handsome Collection for the XB1 if anyone wants to party up there.
    Can that play with the 360 version of BL2 being run with backwards compatibility?

This discussion has been closed.