Options

Friends of Dorothy [Chat]

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    I've actually gotta get out there with a shovel and pick it up next weekend though because I'mma start getting the land ready for the 10x10 garden enclosure.

So there's gonna be a LOT of shit flung over that fence and into the little ravine behind my house.

Ok I take that redneck bit back at least you're doing something about it.

I had a bud of mine with a house he was in for 8 years and I don't think he ever picked up his dog's shit once, unless it was on the patio.

Walking through the lawn to get the dog's ball was like playing Russian roulette with your feet

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I'm gonna get "I'm an Edgelord" tattooed on my ass in Comic Sans.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I heard another story on NPR last night about how many bees are trucked into California to help pollinate almond trees. Now, farmers always use outside bees, but we're talking about shipping bees from Louisiana to California. Its like nothing about that crop is economical.

This is so strange to me! Almonds are not super economical--but cattle farming is horrifically destructive. On a scale that dwarfs almonds. If we want to change something about ag waste it's cattle farming by a hundred miles.

if you want to change something going after a specific type is entirely the wrong way to go about it because it's ineffective and just has really weird solutions

economical incentives - like the biggest part of the reasons acid rain is a problem that's dwindled to nearly nothing compared to what it was in the US - work really well

what you want to change, is water use. So penalize water use. And everything adjusts itself.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Hmm I want to carbonate the kombucha, but not create bombs.

I realized growlers exist.

Is there a way to put a safety valve on one? Or, how would I make such a safety valve? So that I can do fermentation in one without worrying 'bout explosions.

I have no idea what this post is about but I want to report it to homeland security

It is only slightly more disjointed than my normal thoughts. Also the explosions would all be in my fridge.

oh that's good

those things can survive a nuclear blast

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I heard another story on NPR last night about how many bees are trucked into California to help pollinate almond trees. Now, farmers always use outside bees, but we're talking about shipping bees from Louisiana to California. Its like nothing about that crop is economical.

This is so strange to me! Almonds are not super economical--but cattle farming is horrifically destructive. On a scale that dwarfs almonds. If we want to change something about ag waste it's cattle farming by a hundred miles.

almonds are easy to give up tho

You don't even need to give up beef or dairy, just reform the practices and probably reduce consumption! But that will not happen. Cattle is a really powerful industry.

Industrial animal farming is an environmental nightmare in general

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Abdhyius wrote: »

if you want to change something going after a specific type is entirely the wrong way to go about it because it's ineffective and just has really weird solutions

economical incentives - like the biggest part of the reasons acid rain is a problem that's dwindled to nearly nothing compared to what it was in the US - work really well

what you want to change, is water use. So penalize water use. And everything adjusts itself.

yep, hell just reorienting the existing ag subsidies towards this end would make a huge difference

override367 on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    With lawns though, funniest shit I've seen is when me and the wife lived in a basement apartment in a subdivision where the west half of the thing was still being built.

Fucking middle of the summer in the middle of a stupidly hot dry spell and a water restriction warning, they are laying out new sod. I guess that's what the contract paid them to do.

You could literally walk down the streets where they were working and measure their progress. The stuff they did this morning was already wilting. The stuff they did yesterday was mostly dead. The stuff they did more then a day ago was completely dead.

And every now and then you'd find the one person who had moved in early and was also secretly watering their lawn at night.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    I'm not super familiar with what's actually going on with the dwindling water supply grape refers to

but I thought shower/tap water was on an essentially closed loop and using an extra gallon to shower doesn't really waste anything other than the resources to clean it and send it back through the system

Here in Cincinnati, we draw water from the Ohio river and use a combined sewer overflow system.

Turn on a tap, or flush a toilet, and that waste water hits the sewer. In the event of heavy precipitation, storm drains attached to the same system cause overflows that dump into the Ohio river.

If I had my druthers, I'd build an appropriately-scaled marsh system for pre-treating that water before it hit the river. Other effective solutions are implementing permeable landscapes such that water doesn't just hit pavement and immediately make a bee-line for the nearest storm drain.

which is also for the most part avoiding the water supply entirely

or, at least, the water supply we talk about when we say dwindling

a river is really nothing but the water that aquifers can't take.

EDIT: But yeah directing water straight into a stormdrain then means you've made a shortcut for the rainfall to go straight into the river

Yes, though it speaks to the fact that we don't just need water, but rather we need water than can cheaply and safely be rendered drinkable.

Not to mention the impact of pollution on down-river ecosystems. I know I love being down-river from Pittsburgh, PA and Huntington, WV.

• Options
    the gross water usage of livestock is huge but the net usage is way more complicated than that and depends on a ton of factors

Please explain

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

almonds are easy to give up tho

You don't even need to give up beef or dairy, just reform the practices and probably reduce consumption! But that will not happen. Cattle is a really powerful industry.

Industrial animal farming is an environmental nightmare in general

well yeah, reduce consumption is what I meant with my tongue in cheek response

there's not much motivation for that

water usage is p damn cheap tho. if it's becoming a serious problem in the us the gov should probably start putting more of the external costs on the users like abd said.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Couple years back we had a water restriction in place over the summer that explicitly forbid people from, among other things, watering their lawns.

Yet somehow, the asshole up the road from us had a verdant green lawn. Very suspicious.

we will never have a water restriction where I live now, I don't think

but growing up there was one for a bit in Maryland

and my neighbor was out there washing his car with bottled water he bought at the store

which was a mix of hilarious and wtf

someone needs to start Humans of The Suburbs

• Options
    and of course make the water credits tradeable, so that the stuff that uses very little water has a reason to find a way to use even less

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »

I've just been wasting all the free condos I got from my wedding. Silly me.

This reminds me of something I saw on Reddit two or three days ago talking about the same thing. How this girl paid off $80,000+ in debt (she refinanced her boyfriends in her name too). The secret? Get a $200,000 a year job.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I live right beside one of the largest bodies of fresh water in the world.

Get on my level.

• Options
    Couple years back we had a water restriction in place over the summer that explicitly forbid people from, among other things, watering their lawns.

Yet somehow, the asshole up the road from us had a verdant green lawn. Very suspicious.

https://youtu.be/e6lTl9JIW5Y

the music is perfect for what this says about the fundamentally silly nature of man

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Kruite wrote: »
    Julius wrote: »
    I believe factory cattle farming is by far the worst agricultural water consumption culprit?

as well as being a horrendous blight on the world and an apocalyptic nightmare of tortured flesh that would have us censured by a galactic committee if such a thing existed

nah livestock doesn't cost that much water. there are a lot of cows and pigs and chickens, but they don't drink that much and they don't take 10 minute long showers.

Can't tell if serious.

Those animals all require feed. Where does that feed come from? Mostly corn.

That's not how farming works. Farming is mostly done via microtransactions or logging in at the right time and clicking for a few hours.

Haha these kids today that don't know how farming works. Y'all should be ashamed.

Drez on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    whats goin on in chat oh in depth talks about water usage and agriculture

cool cool i'm just gonna put my head down on my desk until we hit page 99

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    I mean it doesn't matter that cattle farming is an atrocity because people don't care where their stuff comes from even when it destroys human lives, let alone animals or the environment

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I always hate the excuse "The kids love the lawn, so that's why we're keeping it." Have the kids pull out all of the weeds in the lawn. Force them to do it. See how much they love the lawn then.

To be fair, this was one of my chores. I got an allowance for doing it, but between that and cleaning up our dog's poop and mowing the lawn, I was completely disenchanted with the idea of having a lawn by the time I reached my teen years.

The greatest thing about being a homeowner with a fenced in back yard is that I haven't picked up dog shit in four years.

I grew up on a corner lot.

Dog owners are openly mostly terribly inconsiderate dicks in my experience. And don't even seem to realise it.

See outside of my yard I always picked up dog shit. On walks, dog park, etc.

At my house though, eff that.

What gets me is our street dead ends about a half mile down into some lower income houses and the fuckers that live there will walk up and down the street at night and just straight up toss trash in yards.

Like every week at least one day I'll walk outside and there will be a beer can or burger wrapper or cigarette pack or something.

One day I'mma get up on the roof and fucking paintball those assholes.

The problem is generally "I let my dog run around and take a shit on your lawn, but I totally picked it up!" has never been a terribly good excuse for bad behaviour, no matter how often it's used. "Hey this playground for the local kids to play in is just a perfectly fine place for my dog to take a shit, right?" is little better.

And that's like the cream of the crop. Then you get to the people who let their dogs run around in your gardens, who don't pick up or who pick up and then chuck the bag in your garden.

Dog owners man...

• Options
    the gross water usage of livestock is huge but the net usage is way more complicated than that and depends on a ton of factors

Please explain

Every part of the United States has different levels of water and water replenishment and practices involving livestock, from what they are given to eat to how they are kept to how their waste is disposed of can vary a great deal

Often the cheapest beef is the worst environmentally obviously

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    My wife is actively hostile to lawns, as a concept. She considers them wasteful, anti-environment, and only tolerates them at our current house because we're not responsible for them, the building's owner is.

If we were ever to buy our own house (an idea she's against anyway, she'd rather buy a condo), there's a bunch of things that would normally be selling points that for her would be negatives, and a lawn would be one of them.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I live right beside one of the largest bodies of fresh water in the world.

Get on my level.

No. I'd sink.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular

That's great! Very little water usage in this activity

• Options
    i finally started watching Breaking Bad last night

like i've just put it off forever because i knew i'd get sucked into it and i feel like i always have a huge backlog of other shows

jesus that shit was depressing

like halfway through it you're just cheering for him to cook some meth like maybe at least he'll feel fulfilled

Arch,
  • Options

Why would you use gross water on animals? That's abusive. At least use clean water.

• Options
    Like the real long term solution to meat in this country is double its price (or more) and correspondingly eat significantly less of it

alternatively some crazy scientists and engineers vat grow some edible meat on an industrial scale

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    a

like i've just put it off forever because i knew i'd get sucked into it and i feel like i always have a huge backlog of other shows

like halfway through it you're just cheering for him to cook some meth like maybe at least he'll feel fulfilled

porp and I made it thru the first couple eps

but it didn't really grab us and idk if we'll ever go back to it

kinda felt like we were just waiting for it to get good

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    navgoose wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »

I've just been wasting all the free condos I got from my wedding. Silly me.

This reminds me of something I saw on Reddit two or three days ago talking about the same thing. How this girl paid off $80,000+ in debt (she refinanced her boyfriends in her name too). The secret? Get a $200,000 a year job.

I love this

LIFEHACK
    HOW TO: PAY OFF DEBT

1. EARN MONEY
    2. USE THAT MONEY TO PAY OFF THE DEBT

THIS WILL BE FASTER IF YOU EARN MORE MONEY IN POINT 1

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    States rights will forever be linked with calls for slavery, ain't no taking back that one.

The idea is spreading that states rights and laws supercede federal law due to the 10th amendment.

This is absolutely hilarious to me. Welcome to the party, progressives! We thought you hated this stuff!

When have the left in the US not been for state level power? Or the right not been for federal level power?

Like, let's be serious here, both sides views on state vs federal power has always been about the policy in question, not the level of government.

Ok this is true. Both sides like ignoring the 10th when it serves their interests.

• Options

The best episode is when Malcolm is in the middle

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Julius wrote: »
    I believe factory cattle farming is by far the worst agricultural water consumption culprit?

as well as being a horrendous blight on the world and an apocalyptic nightmare of tortured flesh that would have us censured by a galactic committee if such a thing existed

nah livestock doesn't cost that much water. there are a lot of cows and pigs and chickens, but they don't drink that much and they don't take 10 minute long showers.

Can't tell if serious.

Those animals all require feed. Where does that feed come from? Mostly corn.

That's not how farming works. Farming is mostly done via microtransactions or logging in at the right time and clicking for a few hours.

Haha these kids today that don't know how farming works. Y'all should be ashamed.

KSOntXS.jpg

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hmm I want to carbonate the kombucha, but not create bombs.

I realized growlers exist.

Is there a way to put a safety valve on one? Or, how would I make such a safety valve? So that I can do fermentation in one without worrying 'bout explosions.

I just use swing-top glass bottles and put the lot in a leak-proof box. If you were worried, you could put a balloon over the opening of one of them to judge the relative amount of pressure being generated?

I'm irrationally afraid of explosions, and love to overengineer things. I am thinking of putting a pressure relief valve into a cap (I am looking at valves now..).

• Options
    a

porp and I made it thru the first couple eps

but it didn't really grab us and idk if we'll ever go back to it

kinda felt like we were just waiting for it to get good

meanwhile porp is secretly on the 2nd season already

Arch,
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Finally started to find my feet in Ultimate or true vault hunter, whatever the highest difficulty is in BL2. Basically I had to abandon the idea of mitigating damage and go for the highest dps I could. So I still get killed, but not nearly as often. Plus I got that ridiculous mirv grenade from boom boom so I can really drop some fire in an area.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

That's great! Very little water usage in this activity

How do you not use water in this scenario?

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    EM is right and our omnivorous nature is the most horrible thing ever, also tilder I refuse to use balloons specifically because I don't want balloon juice dripping into my junk.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    just FYI the whole "trucking bees across the country to pollinate almonds" is not only one of the weirdest outcomes of humans growing non-native crops, it is extremely taxing on the environment, and is also a large contributing factor in colony collapse disorder lol

• Options

we will never have a water restriction where I live now, I don't think

but growing up there was one for a bit in Maryland

and my neighbor was out there washing his car with bottled water he bought at the store

which was a mix of hilarious and wtf

someone needs to start Humans of The Suburbs

Basically, this
    "Wouldn't it be great to replace those exotica images with those of middle class American/Australian Caucasians doing stuff, maybe even using stock photos?"

So, I would ask you to select a cover from a cultural anthropology textbook and replace the "exotica" image with an image equivalent of "white women eating salad."

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Like the real long term solution to meat in this country is double its price (or more) and correspondingly eat significantly less of it

alternatively some crazy scientists and engineers vat grow some edible meat on an industrial scale

We'll just start eating poor people.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    https://studentloanhero.com/featured/success-story-89000-debt/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social-pd&utm_campaign=slh-&utm_content=sa-success-story-89k

Ah here it is

yes

Getting incredibly lucky by chancing on a job where your employer will pay for you to get your degree for while making $200k a year, does help one pay nearly $100,000 in debt!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.