As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] 8th ed Incoming! New Profiles, new rules new stats quo.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Interestingly, the flamer weapon profile they previewed said nothing about ignoring cover

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    With cover just being a flat +armor save, I think ignores cover will be very rare.

As for a flamethrower having ignores cover--walls, rocky outcrops, etc. are great for stopping flamethrower napalm, it's just enclosed spaces like bunkers and holes are WAY worse. The lack of open air means the flame ignites everything inside, and the enclosed space turns it into an oven. Realistically, flamers should do MASSIVE damage (As in, basically instant death) to units inside bunkers or vehicles with fire points that you could theoretically fire into? But some dickhead hiding behind a wall would protected pretty well. Tough to properly represent, I think.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Didn't someone do some studies of that? I thought it turned out that the mechanism of action of flamethrowers on bunkers was asphyxiation? Like the fire seldom actually catches inside the structure but instead sucks out all the oxygen and replaces it with carbon monoxide and other exhaust gases…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I think we're envisioning the flamer effect in different ways. Cover would stop a direct jet of gas but I see the 40K flamer as something more along the lines of a thicker liquid fuel spraying in an arc:
    NQy1Gl3.jpg

(5,000 hours in MSPaint)

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Man, that tau's day is ruined and the marine isn't even looking.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Ignores cover is one of those things that was okay when like Armies had limited access to it on units that had their own drawbacks.

And then the levees broke and you had armies that could freely apply it to any squad.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Roboute having 2+ for shooting probably means that without bespokespecial rules the range in ballistic skill is getting reduced. BS 5-10 will all be the same.

Also means less rerolls baked into the core rules though.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

That's what you get for taking your helmet off.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »

I was struck by how smug he looked even though he was wearing a helmet.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    They're going to have to update every army codex. If they push the main rulebook live with some older codices just sticking with their normal stats, I've got a feeling it'll be wonky.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Now I remembered when virus grenades only worked on models that didn't wear helmets in 2nd edition.

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    They're going to have to update every army codex. If they push the main rulebook live with some older codices just sticking with their normal stats, I've got a feeling it'll be wonky.

They're having 5 books with all the rules and all the factions ready at day 1.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

They're having 5 books with all the rules and all the factions ready at day 1.

I'm still curious about how that's getting divided up. Imperium, Chaos and Xenos is the obvious choice based on the website but that still leaves two books missing. Maybe Space Marines and Aeldari getting their own?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    My guess is Imperium, Astartes, Chaos, Aeldari, Xenos.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Imperium, Chaos, Aeldari, Space Skaven, The Rest.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Marines, other Imperium, Chaos, All Eldar, other Xeno Scum.

• Options
    I could also see 2 of the books being something like Armies of the Imperium with Astra Militarum and Astartes and Agents of The Imperium with Inquisition, Sororitas, Assassins, Knights and such. Mechanicus could be in either of those

While there are a lot of Marine codices right now, they also have a lot of overlap. Rest of the Imperium doesn't have such overlap and would be tome in comparison to a pure Marine book.

• Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    They did mention a new faction on launch in the live stream, so who knows what that might be and how that might affect the books.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I'm not sure if they said new faction ready for day one or just that a new faction will get mentioned day one. Also not sure if they mean faction as in a collection of different armies (Imperium, Eldar) or faction as in just some little subgroup (Genestealer Cults, Harlequins), or something inbetween.

Oooh, Maybe Imperium of Terra and Imperium Nihilus are different factions? But that would have sooo much overlap in units, so probably not.

honovere on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if they said new faction ready for day one or just that a new faction will get mentioned day one. Also not sure if they mean faction as in a collection of different armies (Imperium, Eldar) or faction as in just some little subgroup (Genestealer Cults, Harlequins), or something inbetween.

Oooh, Maybe Imperium of Terra and Imperium Nihilus are different factions? But that would have sooo much overlap in units, so probably not.

Imperium Nihlus making deals with Xenos and using advanced, forbidden tech to stave off destruction?

• Options
    New faction will probably be bighuge marines

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    [notserious] It's gonna be Space Skaven so they have something to take over once they write Slaanesh out of future fiction. [/notserious]

• Options

Imperium Nihlus making deals with Xenos and using advanced, forbidden tech to stave off destruction?

Currently the Blood Angels and all their successors are in the Imperium Nihilus area. As we know they are already heretical collaborators with the foul Necrons.[/alsonotserious]

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    First story campaign book title: "Killing Slaanesh: Fuck @Extreaminatus Personally".

EDIT: Second book title "Killing Slaanesh: Tau in Chaos Pantheon: Seriously Fuck this @Extreaminatus Guy".

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    First story campaign book title: "Killing Slaanesh: Fuck @Extreaminatus Personally".

Hey now.

• Options

EDIT: Second book title "Killing Slaanesh: Tau in Chaos Pantheon: Seriously Fuck this @Extreaminatus Guy".

I'm sure if someone ever gets copies of their business plan, it'll just be titled "Fuck Extreaminatus Personally, Because God Damn Do We Hate His Money."

And it will contain items such as:

- Buff Tau to unbeatable levels of power
    - Make plastic sprues for all Chaos armies besides Slaanesh.
    - Kill Slaanesh in the first paragraph of 8th edition rule book.
    - Replace Slaanesh with Space Skaven.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I could also see 2 of the books being something like Armies of the Imperium with Astra Militarum and Astartes and Agents of The Imperium with Inquisition, Sororitas, Assassins, Knights and such. Mechanicus could be in either of those

While there are a lot of Marine codices right now, they also have a lot of overlap. Rest of the Imperium doesn't have such overlap and would be tome in comparison to a pure Marine book.

Not that I'm not a special snowflake, but honestly Marines could really easily just go back to a trait system. Ultramarines are base rules. Space Wolves are +X -Y. Blood Angels are -X +Z. Also, here's A-Z to build your own.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    In this case I could see all the shared marine units being allowed to choose a chapter keyword and the heroes/special units synergizing with that.

Sort of like how Chaos works in AoS.

Guilliman as 40k Archaon confirmed.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Psyker rules are posted! Looks whole sale from AOS magic again, which is cool. Psyker profile says it can cast X many powers, powers have a casting value on 2d6 (I assume snake eyes are perils).
    Also mortal wounds that go through invul saves, which is sorta weird?

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well with the Eldar/Aeldari book I am very curious about since the Ynnari are really what I have always wanted in the elder

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    In this case I could see all the shared marine units being allowed to choose a chapter keyword and the heroes/special units synergizing with that.

Sort of like how Chaos works in AoS.

Guilliman as 40k Archaon confirmed.

He rides a three headed codex astartes into battle

• Options
    McGibs wrote: »
    Psyker rules are posted! Looks whole sale from AOS magic again, which is cool. Psyker profile says it can cast X many powers, powers have a casting value on 2d6 (I assume snake eyes are perils).

Well everyone knows smite and they are getting away from loitering to actually being a real part of the game

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I'm sure if someone ever gets copies of their business plan, it'll just be titled "Fuck Extreaminatus Personally, Because God Damn Do We Hate His Money."

Well, yeah, your money has like, babypoop on it. I wouldn't want to touch it either.

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »

Basically just gave the "no saves of any kind" rule a shorter name.

• Options
    Well I don't mind that mortal wounds is a killer as it's probably a one shot per round or game thing and the whole bodyguard thing comes back into play

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Now I remembered when virus grenades only worked on models that didn't wear helmets in 2nd edition.

My Space Marine chapter is primarily Mephiston Red and my painting style is kind of muddy, so big groups of my dudes tend to blend together. Because of that I model all of my tactical squad sergeants without helmets to make it obvious to my opponent who is who.

I do question the wisdom of sending higher ranking dudes out into battle wearing literally zero face/head protection, but I assume that the morale boost given to the rest of the squad compensates for this.

The thing that gets me is when Terminator units don't have helmets on though. In lore the reason Terminators are used so often in Space Hulks (as opposed to standard marines that are faster, more maneuverable, and can lay down overlapping fields of fire due to them not taking up an entire hallway) is because areas deep inside hulks tend to have extremely high levels of radiation, so Tactical Dreadnought Armor is required because it's the only stuff the Imperium has that can withstand it. What's the use of having armor that is extremely radiation resistant if you're just going to walk around constantly getting blasted in the face with radiation?

• Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    See, the mistake you've made there is trying to apply logic to the 40k universe. It doesn't make any sense, and it's not supposed to. It's supposed to look badass.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    Although to be fair I've always assumed that sergeants etc do have helmets that they could wear, they just choose not to most of the time for the above reason.

"I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    fray wrote: »
    See, the mistake you've made there is trying to apply logic to the 40k universe. It doesn't make any sense, and it's not supposed to. It's supposed to look badass.
    No, the basic mistake is thinking that an abstract modeling detail to make discrete models stand out on the tabletop has any bearing at all on what's going on in the background.

You see it on models and in artwork so that certain models like sarges, commaders, whatever stand out, and lets you portray all the 'grrts,' 'arghs!' and 'oh noes' expressions in art that would be lost under a helmet.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I'm pleased with what I'm seeing of 8th ed so far, though I am a big fan of AoS and it looks to be taking the best elements from that, so grain of salt on my opinion I suppose, maybe I'll even dust the old Tyranids off again, it's been a while...

This discussion has been closed.