As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Microsoft Exchange Question

deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
I'm upgrading from exchange 2007 to 2013 to 2016. The 2007 server has AD/DC installed. The 2016 will have the AD/DC role. Is it necessary for the 2013 server to have the AD/DC role to make sure all features carry over and/or compatibility with a 2016 exchange with AD/DC?

Trying to save some time on configurations.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    There seems to be some missing info here.

This is all on existing hardware? You're upgrading not migrating?

You're upgrading Exchange 2007 -> 2013 -> 2016?

You're also updating from Server 2008 to 2016? You'll need to step up to 2012 first, then to 2016.

Info on upgrade paths for Windows Server: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/dn527667.aspx

Info on upgrading from 2k8 to 2012 https://technet.microsoft.com/windows-server-docs/identity/ad-ds/deploy/upgrade-domain-controllers-to-windows-server-2012-r2-and-windows-server-2012

Here's a technet thread discussing 2012 - 2016. Some people seem to have had issues. You'll want to see if those are resolved: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/d91e372d-c5dd-46c4-b0bf-88bfa8b05acf/in-place-upgrade-server-2012-r2-to-server-2016-rtm?forum=WinServerPreview

It might seem like a cop out to just post articles, but you have some considerable reading to do before going forward.

As a side note, I'd caution you against running exchange on your domain controller for security reasons.

Here are some more things to consider with your setup: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms.exch.setupreadiness.warninginstallexchangerolesondomaincontroller(v=exchg.160).aspx

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Unless Microsoft has fixed support for Exchange 2016 in Server 2016 you need to run it on 2012 R2 for best results. CU3 of Exchange 2016 added Server 2016 support but it was broken and if you migrate to it you won't be doing anything until MS releases an update that fixes it properly.

I haven't dealt with many Exchange 2007 servers lately so I'm not actually sure you need to go to 2013 before 2016. The two are essentially the same so I would expect the upgrade path to work the same as well for 2007>2013 as it would 2007>2016.

What might be best if you have the resources. Install a fresh VM(you are using VMs right?) with your new OS/Exchange, and migrate to it that way. You will save yourself a ton of headaches by not doing an upgrade route. I did the 2008 > 2008 R2 > 2012 R2 before and it caused a ton of problems.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I'm upgrading from exchange 2007 to 2013 to 2016. The 2007 server has AD/DC installed. The 2016 will have the AD/DC role. Is it necessary for the 2013 server to have the AD/DC role to make sure all features carry over and/or compatibility with a 2016 exchange with AD/DC?

Trying to save some time on configurations.

I'm going to repeat the same question I asked you in a different thread:

Is your old server running Small Business Server?

Your threads suggest that you're putting too many roles on one server. Across your various threads, you've said that your server is running all three of the following roles:

Active Directory Domain Services
    Microsoft Exchange
    Microsoft SQL Server

Microsoft does not support or recommend running any two of these services together on the same machine, let alone all three, except when using Small Business Server. (And to be honest, Small Business Server sucks.)

However, the Small Business Server package was changed in 2012 and replaced with "Essentials." The biggest difference between Essentials and Small Business Server is that Essentials does not include Exchange.

TLDR: Don't run Active Directory Domain Services on the same machine with Exchange. You will have problems. Use separate servers. You can run them on the same hardware if and only if Active Directory and Exchange are each installed in their own respective virtual machines.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Myiagros, I agree with everything you said in your post, but I just want to clarify this:
    Myiagros wrote: »
    I haven't dealt with many Exchange 2007 servers lately so I'm not actually sure you need to go to 2013 before 2016. The two are essentially the same so I would expect the upgrade path to work the same as well for 2007>2013 as it would 2007>2016.

You can't migrate Exchange 2007 -> 2016. The available migration paths are:

2007 -> 2010 -> 2016
    2007 -> 2013 -> 2016 (recommended)
    2007 -> 2010 -> 2013 -> 2016

And I use the word "migration" deliberately instead of "upgrade" because (as Myiagros said) you generally don't want to attempt in-place upgrades of Microsoft server products.

Instead, for each new version of the software, you want to spin up a new server. It can be a physical machine or a virtual machine, but VMs are much easier to work with.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.