Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[13th Age WM] What Lies Beneath. Adventure Thread!

Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
For August, Taneli, and Varg, the next few days when mostly uneventful. Only the two crossbowmen returned from the Dryad's Grotto, the axemen was still missing. While the Boss tried to get the three arrested for thief, the worst that happened was a guard asked the three a few questions and left it at that. The Boss's Men kept a close eye on them, though, looking for any chance of getting the device off one of them. Varg, however, was smart and never left the device where anyone could get it. After a few days of this, though, the rogue knew that sooner or later he would have to get inside the mines and use the device. After grabbing Shield and explaining the situation, the four decided to try to discover the secret of the device and it's mysterious door.

Just like before, you can buy some stuff you think you might need for the trip. Also, decide what time of day/night you wish to leave.

«13

Posts

  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime Designated Wizard Registered User regular
    90je8bryau2c.gif

    I'd assume we're leaving around dusk. That would make he most sense -- anyone feel free to veto.

    August walked into one of the side rooms in the Guild Hall. There were a hand full of these little alcoves located in the nooks and crannies of the old stone castle. They made a great place for meetings and plannings, and were surprisingly private given the busy nature of the guild now adays. This particular alcove was actually in the Library, at the end of the book stacks. Around this time of day a warm orange light from the setting sun would reflect off the glass cabinets and give the room a somewhat eerie fire glow.

    August is already in his field gear as he approaches into the room, some of his companions were already looking over a map discussing the plan.

    "Hey fellas... what are we lookin' at?"

    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN • MagicPrime | Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)

    Ofnv4jq.gif
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Don't forget to roll Icon Relationship Rolls

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited March 16
    "The kid spilled some details about where in dem mines he found the key. Shoulda been more you ask me." The half-orc grumbled, more interested in his pipe then the sketched out map.

    The thief was already regretting the 12 gold he had payed the child. Charity was all well and good when you're flush, but thanks to some bad luck at dice his purse was already almost empty again. It was a bad omen.

    "I'm all set to go when you lot are. Let's go 'fore the Boss makes another play, map aint gonna draw itself."

    Dusk is fine with me.

    Geth roll 1d6 for The Boss Ambiguous
    Geth roll 1d6 for The Dryad Positive
    Geth roll 1d6 for The Barkeep Ambiguous

    The Boss Ambiguous:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]
    The Dryad Positive:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]
    The Barkeep Ambiguous:
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime Designated Wizard Registered User regular
    Geth roll 2#1d6 for The Guide - Positive
    Geth roll 1d6 for The Captain - Ambiguous

    The Guide - Positive:
    2#1d6 2 # 6 [1d6=6] 1 [1d6=1]
    The Captain - Ambiguous:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]

    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN • MagicPrime | Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)

    Ofnv4jq.gif
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited March 17
    Can somebody give me a quick rundown on what we're trying to do? I skimmed the previous post so I think I got the gist but I just want to make sure I get it.

    Shield has a hard time making sense of the map, but agrees with the rest of the party that there's no time like the present to find some adventure.

    Geth roll 1d6 for The Captain +
    Geth roll 1d6 for The Mayor +
    Geth roll 1d6 for The Desire +
    Geth roll 1d6 for The Dryad ~

    The Captain +:
    1d6 3 [1d6=3]
    The Mayor +:
    1d6 2 [1d6=2]
    The Desire +:
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]
    The Dryad ~:
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]

    Joshmvii on
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited March 17
    Not sure if this is Kosher, but here was our thread (http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/209924/13th-age-wm-tracking-thieves-takes-tricky-tactics-adventure-thread#latest), assume Varg told you what happened. Though he likely embellished his own contributions and left out embarrassing details like initially making a break for it.

    Long story short is a kid that worked for the Boss found a key in his mine, and decided he would try and sell it for himself instead of giving it to the Boss. He got caught and couldn't fence the key. We heard the rumor and followed the kid, but before we could buy the key off the kid the Boss' men found us and picked a fight. We won, Varg bought the key off the kid for 12 gold that he hopes to recoup, but three of the boss' men got away. Boss has been trying to steal the key back from us and/or get us arrested ever since. So we're off to see what's behind the mysterious door the key probably opens (and hopefully make a profit).
    The kid wrote: »
    The kid disappears for a moment and returns with a small circle device. It's bronze, with three moving rings around a red gem. "I found it while we were digging in an older part of the mine. The Boss been forcing folks to go back to dried up areas because the whole mine is almost dry. I showed it to the Boss's men, hoping for some reward, but they hit me and took it, said that no one gets special treatment, wouldn't be fair." The boy's face goes red in anger. "So later we found a door behind some dirt, seems to be something old. And in the middle of that strange door, was a circle about that size. I wasn't about to let them no good bastards take credit for my find, so I when to steal this from them, but they spotted me and I had to run. Tried to sell it to a few merchants in town, but no one would buy it. Figured I might get a price from one of the Exiled to buy it, then keep heading deeper into the woods. My pa taught me how to hunt and fish, before he died in the mines. I could live out here."

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Apologies for not responding, had some fuckery with my flight and got home a few hours before I had to go to work. I'll post tomorrow when I can; otherwise Taneli walks around casting magic missile and agrees with the majority.

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    @Carnarvon Still need your Icon Relationship rolls

    The group, seeing that time was of the essence, decides to leave before sundown, making their arrival at the mines some time after dark. The road to the mine was the most well used, and as they made their way to the mines they came across workers returning from their shift, the poor souls covered in dirt, tired from a long day of work.

    If you wish to talk to these guys, we'll pause at this point, but I'm going to write on like you guys don't just to keep things moving.

    The road to the mines is uneventful and soon the group reaches their destination. Outside of the mines are a few buildings, most likely holding supplies and raw materials. There are three guards sitting around a fire outside the mines, and the doorway to the mines is closed and locked with a padlock and chains.

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited March 19
    Varg whispered to the rest of the group "Lessee if we can sneak past dem. I'll get dem locks"
    I'll pick the lock once we sneak past/defeat the guards.

    Geth roll 1d20+3+1+5 sneaks (dex level background)

    Edit - welp

    sneaks (dex level background):
    1d20+3+1+5 11 [1d20=2]

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 2#1d6 for The Runes!
    Geth, roll 1d6 for The Demoniac!

    Taneli looks for someone important looking among the mine workers, and scans his face. He'll keep that person in mind in case he wishes to use his Disguise Person spell. Otherwise, he remains quiet, waiting for Varg to pick the lock.

    The Runes!:
    2#1d6 2 # 4 [1d6=4] 4 [1d6=4]
    The Demoniac!:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]

  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited March 20
    Shield motions at her armor and her size and smiles. She doesn't think she's going to have a great shot sneaking past, but follows the group's lead, attempting to sneak past the guards.

    Geth roll 1d20-1+1+0 to try to sneak (dex level background)

    to try to sneak (dex level background):
    1d20-1+1+0 11 [1d20=11]

    Joshmvii on
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    I assumed we would all need to sneak past, or maybe 2 or 3/4 of us to be successful. I assume I failed with an 11 but maybe I'm wrong.
    I'll leave the logistics to @Grunt's Ghosts but I guess there's no harm in making my lock picking roll now...

    Geth roll 1d20+3+1+5 pick the lock to the mines (dex level background)

    to the mines (dex level background):
    1d20+3+1+5 25 [1d20=16]

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Yeah, if stealth, we'll do this as a group stealth roll, so 3/4 of the group passes with a DC 10 then everyone passes. Varg got through with an 11.

  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime Designated Wizard Registered User regular
    Stealth for sure.

    Geth roll 1d20+3+1+5 for Stealth (Scout)

    Stealth (Scout):
    1d20+3+1+5 13 [1d20=4]

    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN • MagicPrime | Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)

    Ofnv4jq.gif
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    We got our three so let's continue.

    The group slips through the shadows, never gaining any noticed from the three men around the camp fire. Varg easily picks the lock on the door and with practiced hands, gets the lock and chain off without making any sounds, allowing the group to slip inside.

    Behind the door is nothing but darkness. Using what little light the group can get from the opened door, it's a long path that leads downward into nothingness. Near the door is a lantern, with a little bit of oil inside. Using it the group sees that the path heads straight and down. Following that, they come across a room that has been cut to act as some sort of main room. There are boxes of tools, carts on wooden rails, and crates of raw materials everywhere. There is also one steel box that is locked with a duel key lock, one lock on each side, that Varg knows would require him to pick both locks at the same time, a nearly impossible task. From the room there are three paths, one that goes straight ahead of where they came, one to the right, and another to the left.

    Pick your path, pick the box, pick your friends! Or do something else, it's all up to you.

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited March 21
    Varg can't resist the challenge of the dual lock. Could these be the riches he's been imagining?
    Geth roll 1d20+3+1+5 to pick the dual lock (dex level background)

    Edit - ah well had to try...

    (dex level background):
    1d20+3+1+5 13 [1d20=4]

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime Designated Wizard Registered User regular
    "Can anyone remember what the kid said about where this door was?"

    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN • MagicPrime | Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)

    Ofnv4jq.gif
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    "Varg, do you need a special tool to open two locks at once? Seems a difficult task. I wasn't there to talk to that kid, but if you don't remember what they said, I say we go left. I always go left."

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited March 21
    Varg curses under his breath, stumped by the dual lock. "Prolly right, holy woman. We taking dat our way out," the thief said, trying to convince himself the chest wasn't a lost cause.

    "Kid said somethin' bout finding da key in an old, dried up part of the mine. Found the door behind some dirt or somethin'. Said there was a circle about that size of dat key." The half-orc said, eyes still locked on the steel chest.
    Is the box too heavy to just carry now?

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    The chest isn't that big, about two feet long, a foot wide, and half a foot tall. It weights maybe 10lbs. It's the fact of the locks on either side of the long way that makes it hard to pick. But you can pick it up, no problem.

    Heading down the path to the left, the group comes across different places where workers have dug out veins. So far, however, no one has seen anyone in this part of the mine. After reaching the end of this shaft, it seems that this wasn't the right way. As the group nears the room where the box came from, however, they hear voices.
    "We just need the Blasting Elixir, and we can blow the door off."
    "That's what they have been doing all week. What makes you think you can do it better?"
    "I don't know, but they didn't leave a whole box of explosives here for us not to use."
    "They didn't say use it either, numb skull."

    The three guards from before are in the room, searching for something, but they haven't noticed the group yet.

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Varg signaled for the other three to wait. In a low whisper he says to the others "Sounds like they headin' to the door, let's follow 'em."

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Sorry, had a sudden trip out of town, so I've been busy and will be for most the weekend, but let's update this real quick.

    "Hey, do you see a box of blasting liquids anywhere? The metal one with the locks on the side? Could have sworn there was another box of that stuff around here." One of the guards says looking around where Varg found the box.
    "They likely used it or got it at the door. I got a few vials here you could use." Says another guard as he pulls a few bottles of a brown fluid out of a sack on him.
    "That might be enough. Let's head down to the door and see if we can do something."

    Group sheath skill check, 3/4 needed to pass a DC of 10 to succeed in following these guys to the door.

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited March 24
    Varg's eyes widened as he realized the steel box contained explosives. Should he get rid of them? Wonder how much they were worth?
    Geth roll 1d20-1+1+5 how much is blasting Elixir worth (and is is safe to carry around)? (int level background)

    Geth roll 1d20+3+1+5 to follow the guards (dex level background)

    how much is blasting Elixir worth (and is is safe to carry around)? (int level background):
    1d20-1+1+5 20 [1d20=15]
    to follow the guards (dex level background):
    1d20+3+1+5 17 [1d20=8]

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Blasting elixir is worth a lot of money, nearly 100 gold a bottle in the black markets of Havenhold and the Exiles would pay more. Few groups know how to make it, and technically only The Boss and his men can legally have it as it's outlawed in town for obvious reasons. As far as safe, it's safe to carry as it needs a heat source like fire to cause it to explode. But the explosion is pretty strong, one bottle could take down a small farm house. It's use it the mines are limited to only areas that are reinforced or clear of miners.

  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Stealth check to try to follow the guards

    Geth roll 1d20-1+1+0 to try to sneak (dex level background)

    to try to sneak (dex level background):
    1d20-1+1+0 6 [1d20=6]

  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Did Taneli see anyone who looked important when we came in? Important enough that I disguise myself to go in there and tell them to knock it off.

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    No, these guys look like low ranked guards, nothing special about them.

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    @MagicPrime @Carnarvon
    You guys want to make stealth roll to follow, attack the guards, something else?

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime Designated Wizard Registered User regular
    I am fine for following them and incapacitating them. But I would rather not kill them unless they escalate.

    Geth roll 1d20+3+1+5 for Stealth (Scout)

    Stealth (Scout):
    1d20+3+1+5 15 [1d20=6]

    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN • MagicPrime | Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)

    Ofnv4jq.gif
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Taneli follows along with the group, stating he doesn't want to harm any non-combatants.

    Geth, roll 1d20+1 Stealth

    Stealth:
    1d20+1 17 [1d20=16]

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    The guards headed towards the right path, and the group followed behind them without issue. It seemed that the guards knew the path to the door well, as they would turn down one vein or another without hesitation. Soon, the guards and the group came into a massive room. It seemed that the miners have broken through the wall to come into this room, which had been buried over the years. Along the walls still standing were two massive columns, made to look like massive golems in the image of Dwarves. Between the columns was a massive door, twice as tall as the guards who were lighting torches around the room to give them more light.

    "Ok, so see if you can find a hinge or something. If we can blow them off, we can get inside." Said one guard and the other with the sack started looking at the door, trying to find a place to put his explosives.

  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited March 30
    Shield whispers to the party, "We just waiting on them to blow open the door for us? Gonna be noisy."

    Joshmvii on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime Designated Wizard Registered User regular
    edited March 30
    If we want to jump/incapacitate these guards without killing them, what kind of attack or roll would that involve?

    MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN • MagicPrime | Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)

    Ofnv4jq.gif
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Maybe @Carnarvon could use some Cantrips to convince the guards the place was haunted and to never come back? I could see a lot of shenanigans with sound, light, mage hand, prestidigitation, etc.

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    If we want to jump/incapacitate these guards without killing them, what kind of attack or roll would that involve?

    To attack, just roll your attack like you would normally do in combat. This will, of course, call for initiative so everyone would roll for that then. And if you don't want to kill them, just say that you are attacking in a non-lethal way, the attack works the same but you aren't going to kill them when their HPs hit 0.

  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime Designated Wizard Registered User regular
    @Carnarvon

    August looks over to Taneli - "Taneli... do you have anything to get rid of those guards? Or are we going to have to do this the hard way?"

    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN • MagicPrime | Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)

    Ofnv4jq.gif
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Taneli pops his knuckles and stretches his neck, preparing for his magic. "We'll certainly find out."

    Taneli uses his Cantrip Mastery to cast Arcane Mark to put a glowing symbol of The Runes on the door, and on each of the miners. Using Ghost Sound Taneli throws his voice to come from the newly affixed rune on the door. "Your trespass displeases me. Run for your pitiful lives, before you burn as you would dare burn me." The half-elf finishes with Spark, setting one of the miner's shoe on fire. "Run! Leave your foolish weapon and return to your homesteads, lest my mark become permanent."

    Let me know if I have to roll something.

    Boozer
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Yeah, roll me an intimidation check (Intelligence + Magical Backgrounds vs. DC 15).

  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+3+1+4 for Magical Intimidation!

    Magical Intimidation!:
    1d20+3+1+4 17 [1d20=9]

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    The guards when into a panic, screaming at the top of their lungs, dropping their weapons and rushing out of the room. If they even saw the group, they didn't let on as they ran pass them and out of the mine.

«13
Sign In or Register to comment.