Options

The [Zelda] thread broke! Time to use the good weapons, I guess.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The music in and around Hyrule Castle is the coolest thing

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Summoned epona in zora domain

Whoops

No epona for me =p

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

More on this
    I was not ready to hear the main Legend of Zelda theme and that was a deeply emotional moment

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I was talking with a coworker and fellow Zelda enthusiast tonight about the open-world nature of the game and how so few environment bugs have been found, even with 99% of the planet playing the game right now, at this very second, why are you not playing, sell all of your shit and live in an efficiency, who needs friends?!?

And then I had the thought, "Hey, how badly do you think Bethesda is shitting it's pants right now?"

"Oh, man. Todd Howard is shitting bricks right now. Just great big bricks of pure panic about how they have to meet this new standard."

"Yeah, I'm willing to bet this delays the next Elder Scrolls game a bit."

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    1. That's some nice dedication on trying to make that work.
    2. I still wish Octorock Balloons lasted until popped by an outside force, instead of auto-popping. It would make this trick totally viable for some crazy shenanigans, instead of being largely a janky kind of trick you can do for a few minutes if you have dozens of balloons.
    3. To prevent the thing from tipping over, you could, instead of preemptively adding more balloons, instead Stasis the boat before the balloons pop, let them pop, and add more in the same spot before Stasis fades, if that spot was stable.
    4. Charge your leaf strikes. It is considerably faster going on the boat when you do so.

Enlong on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I was talking with a coworker and fellow Zelda enthusiast tonight about the open-world nature of the game and how so few environment bugs have been found, even with 99% of the planet playing the game right now, at this very second, why are you not playing, sell all of your shit and live in an efficiency, who needs friends?!?

And then I had the thought, "Hey, how badly do you think Bethesda is shitting it's pants right now?"

"Oh, man. Todd Howard is shitting bricks right now. Just great big bricks of pure panic about how they have to meet this new standard."

nah they've never given a shit

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    WHY DID NO-ONE TELL ME YOU CAN CHOP UP TREES TO MAKE WOOD PILES

The first weapon you find is a woodcutting axe!

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Yo, I need a tip on farming something.
    I need 30 topazes to upgrade my lightning-proof suit, but I only have 24 right now and I'm impatient.

Anyone know a vendor that sells them, other than the goron kid at Tarrey Town? Or anyplace that you can reliably get them from?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Running around in the Hebra region.
    It's a very interesting setup, because about a third of it is just a big-ass plain connecting the tower to the stables to a few shrines to the labyrinth in the northeast. I found myself bringing Kokuo with me to ride across the field—which ended up having three silver lynels holy hell. 5000 HP apiece, get bent! But I killed them all, and it was good. I've gotten a lot better at handling the spear moveset, and the club moveset. Their fire attack is still no joke, though.

Riding your horse in this game makes for a very different-feeling experience, especially in an open area that size that has nothing in particular to climb, and doubly especially when you're riding the giant horse. It's the size of a moose, and will occasionally charge in when you're fighting a lynel, and can tank a hit or two from a silver lynel without dying. I'm repeatedly staggered by how tough this damn horse is, and also how beautifully it animates, with Link pulling on the reins in subtle ways to get it to move in different directions.

I took Kokuo down a long path along the northern lip of the region, a narrow almost-road that skirts most of the mountain range. I've left my shrine detector on and got a couple I might have missed otherwise that way, but there are still a few where I have no good idea how to access them.

Eventually I reached the end of the road, and worked my way across a few cliff faces to reach a shrine I saw from a few hundred meters away. Past that, an enormous updraft more or less flung me into the mountains, and I climbed as high as I could. I don't know how long I'd spent in Hebra up to that point, easily two or three hours I guess, but I crested a peak and looked around and realized that the mountain range here was bigger and more layered than the entirety of the Gerudo Highlands, with rocky shelves hiding paths and areas you couldn't really see from above. I'd probably found most of the shrines, but all of a sudden it felt like I hadn't seen anything close to what those mountains had to offer.

I saved the game and turned it off there.

There's a lot to say about this game, about how it differs from its predecessors, about whether or not shrines are a good alternative to regular dungeons and whether the current suite of dungeons stacks up to the old school (I'd argue that it does, absolutely, though the last one I did was a bit easy). The storytelling mode is very different compared to past Zelda games, and so is the method of characterization, and it's a much less linear, plot-focused game than its forebears going all the way back to LttP.

Yet

I don't think I've ever played a game paced like this one where I have failed to be fatigued at least on some level by my interactions with the world. Maybe I've never thought about it before, but it's true, and I'm only realizing it now because no other game has ever made me look down at a different area of the same zone I've been running around in for hours and say to myself, "Holy shit." The sense of being anchored, of homecoming when you find a new stable, the little thrill of discovery every time you find a new town, the way you can fuck up a labyrinth by just climbing over the walls, I tell you what.

Ain't never felt this way about a game before. I could argue about its design and its relative strengths or weaknesses compared to other Zeldas all day, and I'm sure I will when I'm done, but right now? This is great. This is really, genuinely great in a way I only feel about games very rarely.

Jesus I need to go to bed, SilverWind's been asleep for a minute, but it made me feel real good and I wanted to share.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I think the temples are shorter than I'd like, but not so much that they feel disappointing. They're lengthy enough and challenging enough in pretty creative ways that I came out pretty satisfied.

Except for the boss fights, which were very aggravating. Though that's probably more my fault due to not really getting any good with the combat system.

The first two bosses I fought (Zora/Gerudo) and the last two (Goron/Rito) were so far apart in difficulty it was kind of hilarious.

I'm sure much of that was due to
    Me getting the master sword after the Gerudo temple, but I think having had to practice the combat system a bit more by that point also played a part in it.

That said, the Goron temple boss is a total joke. He was, like, almost literally effortless. I could have killed him easily with regular weapons. He was certainly a lot easier than the Zora temple boss.

Goatmon on

• Options

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

Bethesda basically considers bugs as part of the featured experience at this point.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I think the temples are shorter than I'd like, but not so much that they feel disappointing. They're lengthy enough and challenging enough in pretty creative ways that I came out pretty satisfied.

Except for the boss fights, which were very aggravating. Though that's probably more my fault due to not really getting any good with the combat system.

The first two bosses I fought (Zora/Gerudo) and the last two (Goron/Rito) were so far apart in difficulty it was kind of hilarious.

I'm sure much of that was due to
    Me getting the master sword after the Gerudo temple, but I think having had to practice the combat system a bit more by that point also played a part in it.

That said, the Goron temple boss is a total joke. He was, like, almost literally effortless. I could have killed him easily with regular weapons. He was certainly a lot easier than the Zora temple boss.

Boss difficulty
    I haven't actually gotten around to doing the Goron/Gerudo dungeons yet, but my order was Rito->Master Sword->Zora. Mostly because I chickened out of the Lynel business and just went shopping for Shock Arrows elsewhere as I grabbed all the towers, and decided that I may as well do Vah Medoh while I was in that area since I'd kind of had Rivali's Gale spoiled for me.

Waterblight went down like a punk. The second phase was over in seconds.

Although, granted, most of that was probably because Rivali's bow is ridiculously strong if you get it that early. IIRC it clocks in at 60ish damage when the best I'm currently getting from (non-two handed, non-master sword) weapons right now is more, like, 40. (Also, I prefer to use strength+++ food over defense food because I'm a Swift Carrot man.)

I actually thought the Rito boss was more difficult, believe it or not! Dude had a lot of movement and lasers that I found non-trivial at that point in the game, although he was still fairly easy. I needed to use a lot more healing food than I did for the Zora one.

Hopefully the Gerudo boss lives up to the hype and isn't trivialized by all the stuff I've gotten?

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    earlier today I was in a shrine that wanted you to use magnesis to move some spiked balls out of your way by setting them swinging and then running through
    instead I just tucked the balls up in the rafters

fuck you, game

I did that too. It was very satisfying knowing how many people probably went through hell in that shrine

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

Elder Scrolls 6 could be their buggiest game yet and it will probably still outsell this game 2-to-1

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4w6UJM-TcM
    I can only describe the "you just climbed a tower" music as "ridiculously majestic"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Oh man, I just came across a neat story on twitter. Though this apparently first popped up on reddit.

Back in late 2007, a dude by the name of Corey Bunnell was talking about his experience as an exchange student in Japan, and how he really wanted to go back there and eventually become a game designer for Nintendo.

This is relevant to the thread, because look whose name pops up in the end credits of Breath of the Wild, nearly ten years later.
    (skip to 19:40. Also, spoilers)

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Oh man, I just came across a neat story on twitter. Though this apparently first popped up on reddit.

Back in late 2007, a dude by the name of Corey Bunnell was talking about his experience as an exchange student in Japan, and how he really wanted to go back there and eventually become a game designer for Nintendo.

This is relevant to the thread, because look whose name pops up in the end credits of Breath of the Wild, nearly ten years later.
    (skip to 19:40. Also, spoilers)

Also has this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylj8DAeOkhM

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Drascin wrote: »

Bethesda basically considers bugs as part of the featured experience at this point.

On the same note, though, Darth is right that the relative lack of bugs in Breath of the Wild is both noteworthy and laudable

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Final memory
    Can't say I ever expected to see a cutscene in one of these games where Link dies

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Final memory
    Can't say I ever expected to see a cutscene in one of these games where Link dies
    I mean, he almost dies.

After taking out, like, a hundred or so guardians.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Finally got around to unrolling the map that comes with the special and collectors editions

And like, I get that they don't want to give you a full map of the game, since uncovering that map is a huge part of actually playing

But what the fuck, who even thought this was a good idea
    67Nuqgd.jpg

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Ahahaha

Fang and Bone
    Ask what mon is?

"It's a currency I created to destabilize the market and fight the establishment!"

You're alright Kilton.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Can someone give me a hint where the Spring of Courage is

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

Sure!
    You can tell the region just based on its name

More explicit
    You can see it from your map!

More explicit
    Kass tells you about it, you probably haven't been there yet!

More explicit
    It was at the game awards!

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

Its near Akkala and the blue furnace.

Zoom in real close to the quarry listed on the map

• Options

I absolutely love
    The marching part. At one point I'm doing some running around and I think "wow my movements are syncing up really well with the mu- wait that's not me, oh shit."

• Options
    Can I just say Robbie is the new character

They've been toying with a mad scientist since OoT but I think they cracked it. Also
    Its heavily implied he built an electric guitar then a way to record it and play the riff back so he has his own music sting

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular

Its near Akkala and the blue furnace.

Zoom in real close to the quarry listed on the map

That's Power!

Courage is sailable jumping from the plateau

The raddest part of the province of courage

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    OH! and speaking of great music.

(spoiler for when you've done all of Kass's quests.)
    Who else has been able to hear him play his entire song from start to finish?

I uh

I got a little emotional.

And I'm really looking forward to seeing internet people do covers of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP061wI3chs

Goatmon on

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I still haven't been able to find him.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I've seen Kass in two different regions and he just played the same song

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I have no idea what I'm supposed to do for Two Rings
    At first I thought I had to arc an arrow up and downwards through the one up on the high platform near Kass, but honestly after running around the whole area on both sides of the road I have no clue how to solve this one.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I have no idea what I'm supposed to do for Two Rings
    At first I thought I had to arc an arrow up and downwards through the one up on the high platform near Kass, but honestly after running around the whole area on both sides of the road I have no clue how to solve this one.
    The one you're looking for is in the other group of rings away from Kass. There's a ring just behind a large rock formation, and it points at another ring further away.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I just did that one!
    It's in the clump further away from him. Stand by one on a little mound, shoot through and hit at one close to the ridge.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    I think one of my favourite things in this game is looking at the map, seeing some cool looking lake or whatever, and going there to find something

Anything on the map that looks like it should be important probably is

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    Link in the full climbing gear looks like everyone that's ever been to Bonnaroo

well, that plus some of the Snowquill stuff

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Cass has a quest that has two obvious answers and only one of them is valid for no reason

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Oh geez. I don't think I was supposed to fight Stone Talus after only completing the first shrine. He could oneshot me.

Still, I noticed that nice big weakpoint on him and that I could climb his back. I went to some boko camps, grabbed weapons, and went at him. Five minutes later and he's down and now I have a ton of jewels.

This discussion has been closed.