As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battlefield] - 2042 - Launches Nov 19th

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Considering it's dsl I guess this is probably as good as it's gonna get.

Played the Prise de Tahure map. It's really cool visually but the action dissolves after a little bit. Most of my time was spent running from objective to objective to clear out one or two guys who were capping only to immediately start losing the flag I had just taken. Lots of people laying down in shadowy corners and under rubble, too, getting cheap kills because you just cannot see them. The bulk of the fighting seems to focus on the town center at C so if your team rushes over there it's not uncommon to suddenly lose every other objective simultaneously.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    so new night map how is it?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    tight

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Battlefield 1 Revolution (BF1+Premium/all DLCs) $59.99 available now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2jerZDvtG8

DHysDI9UIAAkB-A.jpg:large

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Is it just me or is the spacing on the expansions really large? Not that I mind, since its been forever since I've played but still.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    theyve had a few single map updates in between, and the actual 4 map expansions are pretty detailed and well done. But yeah it is big gaps, but it seems to be working in terms of producing quality content. That and the ability to bring friends is making the expansions feel less dead than previous battlefield games

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    The gaps have been huge, it's almost a year since the game came out and we've only had one. I should have paid more attention, because now I feel a sucker for having paid premium just to get 1 pack and now I could have gotten the same for $60 in total.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    What are the odds of next year's BF being 1944? I'm ambivalent about COD but still want a WW2 game.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    What are the odds of next year's BF being 1944? I'm ambivalent about COD but still want a WW2 game.

Pretty good, but I'd say Vietnam, Modern or a curve ball are more likely than WW2. Battlefild wants to be a leader, not a trend chaser.

• Options
    I can't seem to get the damn game to go online on Xbox one the past few days. It does the update, every time I log in, then stays in offline mode and won't go online. So annoying

• Options
    I'm fairly tempted by the BF1 Revolution bundle. Does this game incorporate DLC maps into standard rotation or am I doing what I did in Battlefront and clicking on an entirely separate playlist?

How's the PS4 version/population?

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm fairly tempted by the BF1 Revolution bundle. Does this game incorporate DLC maps into standard rotation or am I doing what I did in Battlefront and clicking on an entirely separate playlist?

How's the PS4 version/population?

It's a separate playlist (broken up by DLC pack). I can't really speak towards the console population.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I played the new DLC map last night, Lupkow Pass, and kind of hated it. It's pretty and different from anything else because of the mix of close quarters and verticality. However, the color palette makes it very hard to see people and it's an absolute sniper paradise. I have never died so much from sniper kills in such a short period of time. Half of the time I'd respawn into instant death or be shot but not killed by a sniper.

To be honest I don't actually like any of the DLC maps very much.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    I've been really amazed at how BF1 caters to the sniper. I really believe it's because they're one of the few "accurate" guns at any distance and they hit hard enough that people are really sticking with them. It just surprises me at how quick some people can pull off a sniper snap shot and it actually hits hard enough to kill me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The whole "sweet spot" one-hit bodyshot kill is what baffles me, how did they think that would not make people flock to the sniper class and just hill hump?

• Options
    Does BF1 run well on a regular hobo PS4?

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Does BF1 run well on a regular hobo PS4?

Yep. It doesn't have all the prettiest graphics enabled...but it runs well enough for the folks I watch stream it.

EDIT - And to cross-post your question from the PSN thread:
    I'm very tempted by this Battlefield 1 ultimate edition. How's the PS4 version performance/population-wise?

Population-wise, it has the highest population on PS4 than on PC and Xbox. If you combine both PC and Xbox populations, they just barely beat out the PS4 player (peak, concurrent) population.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    The whole "sweet spot" one-hit bodyshot kill is what baffles me, how did they think that would not make people flock to the sniper class and just hill hump?

Hill humping doesn't win matches. People inclined to do that were going to do that anyway. Games are won by the teams that press. In my experience, the sniper heavy teams get rolled.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Well I own this now on PS4. That Revolution bundle was too good to pass up.

• Options
    Mulletude wrote: »

Hill humping doesn't win matches. People inclined to do that were going to do that anyway. Games are won by the teams that press. In my experience, the sniper heavy teams get rolled.

That's my point, it's no fun when you're stuck in the sniper team. Making it easy for snipers just makes them more likely to hill hump.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

That's my point, it's no fun when you're stuck in the sniper team. Making it easy for snipers just makes them more likely to hill hump.

Oh yeah, i get you.

I would love to see the sniper role devalued by devs a lot more a game like bf. But we all know that would create a shitstorm of whiners.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    hey turns out this game is real fun

Love the medic and scout, not a huge fan of assault, haven't even touched support yet

I really like this new snowy map that's being promoted on the home screen

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    so, some significant weapon balance changes coming up in tomorrow's patch:

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_live/comments/6xftc8/september_weapon_balance_update/

253J736.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Love the medic and scout, not a huge fan of assault, haven't even touched support yet

As a console battlefielder (the last good pc I had was to run battlefield 2) I think this is my favourite since Bad Company2. Snipers are also a lot less of a bother on console than they are on PC cos its harder to aim

Also im support 4 lyfe

Prohass on
  • Options
    I've put a couple hours into this this weekend and I have to say, this shit is pretty good guys.

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »

As a console battlefielder (the last good pc I had was to run battlefield 2) I think this is my favourite since Bad Company2. Snipers are also a lot less of a bother on console than they are on PC cos its harder to aim

Also im support 4 lyfe

It's really good.

I have since gotten every class to at least rank 3, though the medic is by far my favorite. I think Monte Grappa, Sinai Desert, and Giant's Shadow are my least favorite maps.

I just really don't like modern settings for stuff like this. I'm very much hoping for BF 1944 next year, since I'm the guy that still really loves WWII. That said, COD WWII just doesn't look very good to me. I much prefer the pacing and openness of the Battlefield games and want to see WWII in current-gen glory.

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    The new maps are a lot of fun, the whiteout effect is a cool take on the sandstorms in other maps. I haven't gotten to try the operations yet, though I have the feeling the Brusilov Offensive one is going to be a real ball buster. The new medic assault rifle style weapon seems extremely good in the limited amount of time I've gotten to use it.

All in all, the russkie themed expansion is off to a great start in my book.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    New maps have a touch of slowdown on base PS4 when things gets nuts, especially in that church, but otherwise great fun. Already unlocked one of the Russian guns and on my way to unlock those other passive perks through the service record.

• Options
    Yeah these new maps are really pushing the Xbox one version. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do on the Scorpio when I get it

• Options
    Played a couple of the maps yesterday and the 3 point map with the church in the middle sucks and I hate it. Each point is pretty good for cqc, but they're separated by sniper's paradise which is super annoying. Add to that the lack of space to flank and the map is a pain in the ass.

You run into similar issues with the giant field maps since they're nothing but open space, but at least you have options as to what point to go for (which admittedly gets limited when you get pushed back). I will say the train behemoth is really dumb though, can't remember which map it's on but it goes in a straight line and only hits objective c so it's basically completely useless for it's incredibly short lifespan.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/czcS9rFvD-8

Good god. The horrors he unleashes with a sniper rifle.

• Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    I'd hope for a sale for the Season pass. The Revolution bundle still remains a bit more expansive than just getting the season pass but still.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    These maps are phenomenal but man did they lock the guns behind some bs. I hate the Cei Regotti and I don't want to grind with it to get that Fedorav. I did unlock the Perino 1908 though and holy shit is that thing absurd. There should be no feasible way for me to carry that thing and fire it but goddamn if I didn't take down a fucking bomber with it.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    It would be super great if literally just once people would vote to play on Ludkow Pass again, so I can get this trophy.

• Options
    Man, shooting down airplanes is dumb.

As is kills with HE Tripmines. Those things can't kill a 100 health foe.

• Options
    Man, shoving a cavalry lance into someone and lifting them off the ground as you charge by never gets old.

• Options
    edited September 2017

Unlock the Perino. I downed two airplanes within like, 45 minutes of unlocking the dumb thing. I don't know the stats but it's got 120 rounds and doesn't seem to overheat until you get down to about 45 or 50 so you can just sit there and hose down straffing planes. You basically turn into mobile AA.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    I did the plane killing with the MG15 suppressive on Monte Grappa in like 5 minutes. The key thing is to remember to keep shooting the plane even if the pilot ejects so you actually destroy it. If you're struggling, you can always disable it with an AA gun and hop off to finish it with the MG.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Is it just me or are the graphics super muddy and aliased on the Xbox? I just hooked my fancy tv up again after a while and don't remember it being this... fuzzy?

Juggernut on
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Juggernut wrote: »

Unlock the Perino. I downed two airplanes within like, 45 minutes of unlocking the dumb thing. I don't know the stats but it's got 120 rounds and doesn't seem to overheat until you get down to about 45 or 50 so you can just sit there and hose down straffing planes. You basically turn into mobile AA.

I haven't used the Perino as AA, but I have used (and would recommend) The MG 15 suppressive, the MG14/17 suppressive and the Chauchat Telescopic.

The MG 15 is a solid all rounder

The MG14/17 is a buzzsaw, but overheats quickly and has a long reload unless you fire only a few shots or empty the gun.

The Chauchat is a bit of an oddball but has the ability to damage the heavy bomber, which is a big slow target. Every other gun I've used just gets hit markers.

But, what really gets me is that DICE doesn't seem to understand the systems they built into the game with these assignments. Tripwires are terrible at killing, but they alert you and give you the ability to pick off a weak foe with your side arm. K Bullets are terrible at destroying vehicles, but are good at harassing them and preventing repairs. LMGs can damage planes, but getting kills is luck.

It should be kill enemies damaged with your tripwire bomb
    Interrupt repairs
    Damage Planes

That's what these weapons and gadgets are for, not outright kills.

Edit: are they actually ever going to fix operations? That game mode is dead, and for good reason. The UI to join is terrible, and it won't load a second operation once the first is done. Its a shame, that mode is great and one of the best things added in BF1.

JusticeforPluto on