As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocksmith] Rocksmith Plus more money

1202122232426»

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    yeah I can almost justify the price if you get full access to the library but, I mean, who are we kidding. I'm not even going to touch 1% of the 8,000 songs.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    I'll at least give it a try, but I have two semi-related concerns at the moment: First, how much of the existing catalog (including DLC) has made the jump to RS+? Second, how many of the 8,000 songs include actual full transcriptions as opposed to just chord charts? (That was one thing I kept running into during the beta -- finding a song, going, "That might be fun," selecting it and just being given a set of chords to strum.)

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    I'll at least give it a try, but I have two semi-related concerns at the moment: First, how much of the existing catalog (including DLC) has made the jump to RS+?

From what I've looked through versus what I mainly play on 2014, very little. No Iron Maiden, no Megadeth, no Skid Row, no Queensryche, no Def Leppard, no Ghost.... This definitely won't replace Rocksmith 2014 for me with the current song list.
    Second, how many of the 8,000 songs include actual full transcriptions as opposed to just chord charts? (That was one thing I kept running into during the beta -- finding a song, going, "That might be fun," selecting it and just being given a set of chords to strum.)

Looking through most of the new songs that I am excited about, it looks like most of them are only chord charts, which is disappointing.

I don't have a lot of hope for Rocksmith+ unless they manage to really ramp up their content and quickly.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    RS+ pricing is finalized. Here are the US rates:
    9j4i5thgy3pk.png

In Canada, it's C$19.99/m, C$49.99 for 3 months (+1 month if you own RS2014), C$129.99 for 12 months (+3 months if you own RS2014)

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    I did the 1 month just to check it out. At least the download is only 1.22GB.

Edit: Well, we're not off to a good start.

8bj6scpcu3pr.png

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    I guess the second time was the charm because it loaded into the game. Initial impressions are mixed, bordering on not great. I had to find the max difficulty setting because I was getting frustrated with the missing notes that it would randomly decide I didn't need to play, even when I set it 100% difficulty before I started the song. Also, maybe I'm just out of practice and was playing harder songs, but the accuracy seemed pretty off. It's pretty rare that I'm below like 70% in 2014, and that's on hard songs that I don't know very well. I was in the 50's most songs I just played. I don't have any of my favorites from 2014 in Rocksmith+ to compare it against. Also, the songs with just chord charts blow. They don't even have tones which would at least give them some utility to use. One of the songs I was excited when I saw in the list turned out to be a huge disappointment: Tyler by The Toadies. It's one of my favorite songs, but not only was it just a chord chart, but it wasn't even the version from Rubberneck but was a "re-imagined" version from a 2015 album that was like clean guitars and a mandolin. I did not care for it. It had none of the emotion of the original version. I also don't know if I need to mess with the settings or if it's just something I need to get used to, but it felt like the notes on the note highway were late. I would hear them in the song before I saw them crossing the fretboard, but it might just be me not being familiar with the new version. I did turn the buffer down to minimum and didn't experience any audio issues, so that's neat.

On the plus side, the Opeth songs from Damnation had full charts, so they were fun at least, even if my hands were not ready for some of those stretches.

I did have a thought. If people somehow figure out how to get existing CDLC to work in Rocksmith+, it should be trivial to also add songs from Rocksmith 2014 that you own as well since they're the same kind of files sitting in the same directory. I don't know how feasible that is, though.

I'll give it a little more time, but currently I can safely say that I won't be subscribing any additional time and will just stick with 2014.

• Options
    Same thing happened to me but it worked fine when I restarted it. My impressions, after only playing three songs, two of which I already knew from RS2014, are kind of mixed -- like, all of the technical stuff (the note highway, etc.) does seem like an improvement, but the song catalog is still underwhelming and seems heavily weighted towards chord charts, not actual arrangements. (Like, there are a couple dozen Triumph songs included, but only one of them has actual lead and rhythm arrangements; the rest are chord chart only.) Fingers crossed that they'll be building those out over time? And very little of the stuff I currently own in RS2014 has made the leap to RS+ -- from what I can see, mostly a bunch of Boston tracks?
    And even when they have bands that I might want to play, the actual track selections are ... iffy. Like, the only Cure is an entire live album's worth of chord charts, and the Deep Purple is a bunch of weird stuff with no Smoke on the Water and no Highway Star. Sigh.

• Options
    Oh, and I also had to be sure to remove the free month of Ubisoft+ from my cart when I was on the checkout screen.

• Options
    but the song catalog is still underwhelming and seems heavily weighted towards chord charts, not actual arrangements. (Like, there are a couple dozen Triumph songs included, but only one of them has actual lead and rhythm arrangements; the rest are chord chart only.) Fingers crossed that they'll be building those out over time?

There is the built in tool to create charts, so I'm sure that will happen slowly but eventually. The question is going to be the quality of said charts. I might play around with the tool to see how intuitive it is, but I really feel like they should reward creating a well-reviewed chart (if that's even possible) for lead and rhythm with a free month or something. I really don't like the idea of basically doing their work for them, while paying them for the opportunity.

• Options
    One thing I was wrong on is that some of the chord charts do actually have tones. They're still lame.

• Options
    Just been doing some side-by-side comparison (using Boston's More Than a Feeling because it's a song that's in both 2014 and +, and because I know it reasonably well) and I continue to be torn -- in a lot of ways, I do prefer the note highway in RS+, and it's really nice to have the actual tablature available (I don't think I'd necessarily want to just play with tab showing 24/7, but it can be very useful when trying to nail something down). Note detection seems to be ... not worse, necessarily, but with different issues? Like, I seem to be doing better with bends in RS+, but it really doesn't like my harmonics.

I also like the detailed post-song feedback, which was something that was seriously lacking in RS2014.

My biggest concern remains the song catalog, though. If I had my full RS/RS2014 catalog in the RS+ engine, I'd happily make the jump, but as things stand, I'm guessing I'll mostly be sticking with 2014 for day-to-day use.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    I was perusing the catalog the other day when it was posted. And today as I was driving somewhere I was thinking on how none of the songs in that catalog were a "Must Play" for me personally. Sure, learning new songs from bands I've not listened to before is nice and way to learn. But... I'm here for the songs that make me want to pick up my guitar.

To me, from all I've read and heard as it was being promo'd, is here is a Guitar Game, with a half assed built in catalog that we are desperately hoping that the community flushes out so we make money. Because why pay the artists when we can get fans to do it for free?

I could be way off base, but it's the way it feels. Hell, it's not even making me wanna give a 1 month trial at this point. I don't know what band I was expecting to see as a new feature, but eh.

Edit: two things I found interesting. Look at the 2 screens, I've not played the new one but I find the 14 to be easier to read.

https://youtu.be/C8bVcn5y4h0

And Regional Catalog?
    https://youtu.be/xjdW8GEDUts

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    As a heads up, they appear to have issued an update on Steam that kills custom DLC (for 2014).

Endaro on
  • Options
    Endaro wrote: »
    As a heads up, they appear to have issued an update on Steam that kills custom DLC (for 2014).

They also included the previous version on Steam as a beta by using the beta code "JustInCaseWeNeedIt" (without quotes). The update was just to add advertising for Rocksmith+. We just need a new version of the CDLC dll to come out, but the beta works just fine in the meantime.