As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Does humanitarian aid prolong human suffering?

SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
In general terms, I would consider myself a humanitarian. Personally, I think it's a good idea to help people out and relieve suffering where one is able.

Lately though, I've hit upon a paradox, mostly dealing with famine and outside efforts to alleviate that suffering.

It goes something like this:

Faminopia no longer produces enough food to feed its people either at all or at a price the majority can afford.

People are starving, lots are dying.

United Samaritan makes a couple calls, holds a few concerts and photo-ops and collects enough food to feed the starving.

But the problem, the root problem, is still there. This country does not produce enough food, because there is a serious overpopulation problem. So when the aid runs out, people are still going to starve.

The Heartless Bastard Solution: Do not provide food.

The idea being that a harvest comes in cycles. If there is no extra food, people will die off in droves. The food supply will stretch exactly as far as the number of people it can support. The next time around, the harvest will be around the same amount which has been naturally established as enough to feed everyone. No more aid will be required, and that country will be self-sustaining.

So which is kinder? Foreign Aid seems to keep a country in perpetual need of assistance, entrapping the whole population, carrying out starvation conditions for much, much longer. Eventually, because the population base is the same, and there is only a minor change in birthrate, many many children are born only to die a short time later. These deaths will far exceed those brought on by simply allowing a certain number of people to die outright. The recovery from the Heartless Bastard Solution allows regrowth without additional suffering, as all those who are alive would be able to feed themselves and ensure thier own future indefinately.

In terms of starvation deaths, Foriegn Aid has a higher count. In terms of the number of people suffering, Foriegn Aid also has a higher count. In fact it seems like there is more death and suffering for a much, much longer period of time. Can this truly be considered a humanitarian effort when there is more death and suffering as a result? Or is the Heartless Bastard Solution really a greater kindness in the big picture?

Discuss!

Maybe a Ground Rule: Look, there's a lot personal attachments to the view of aid and also to inadvertantly or purposefully killing a whole lot of people, even if it might be for the greater good. So if we could all view this as largely hypothetical, that would be really cool. Discussion around the larger issues in play even with specific countries is great, but lets try to keep it out of the recommendations for actual foreign policy mud. Awesome!

Sarcastro on

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2007
    Why not provide food to solve the short term problem and help solve the long term problem?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    Why not provide food to solve the short term problem and help solve the long term problem?

Very few charities view food aid as a long-term solution.

MrMister on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Foreign Aid should not just be focused at solely relieving the symptoms but also the root cause of such problems. You can make more efficient farming methods or provide irrigation to patches of land that otherwise wouldn't have been farmable. In the interim you feed people so they don't die. I'm afraid I just don't seem to see the dichotomy you're implying.

moniker on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's my understanding that starvation is not typically caused by insufficient food production but more often caused by despotic governments withholding food from the populous in order to control them.

Is this not the case?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah but the point is that the short-term solution just ends up taking steam out of the long-term solution. Just plain giving food allows for the population to grow and put stress on whatever system you're trying to build that would let the people feed themselves. It's not that we should just stop feeding people, but we have to be mindful of holes in the cup before we start filling it with water.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    It's my understanding that starvation is not typically caused by insufficient food production but more often caused by despotic governments withholding food from the populous in order to control them.

Is this not the case?

Yes and no. Some areas can get hit by horrible droughts (mainly sub-saharan Africa, but other areas as well, I'm sure) that last several seasons and screw over grain reserves etc. I'm not aware of there just not being enough food to go around being an issue specifically, but it's not like I pay too much attention to these things.

Also, giving out condoms on every aid cucumber could help solve the overpopulation issue while feeding people. And in a comical way nontheless.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I believe this is often the case. One of the problems that occurs in this situation is that food becomes such a valued commodity there is a great deal of overhead, crime and violence surrounding it's distribution - only a small percentage of donations actually get to the people they are trying to support.

Another is that long term solutions aren't always feasable - sometimes, if say half your land is turning into desert, there may be no long term solution. This happens when the reduction rate of agriculturally availible land exceeds production and reclamation increases, something that is actually happening in a great many places.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Hoz wrote: »
    Yeah but the point is that the short-term solution just ends up taking steam out of the long-term solution. Just plain giving food allows for the population to grow and put stress on whatever system you're trying to build that would let the people feed themselves. It's not that we should just stop feeding people, but we have to be mindful of holes in the cup before we start filling it with water.

That's more an issue of the drown then drought in foreign aid as your situation becomes less TV friendly. It's also what foundations, NGO's, and the World Bank (among others) exist to help ease, but it certainly needs tweaking and more structured organization to ensure that a fairly consistent amount comes into the area in need until it's back on its feet enough.

moniker on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hoz wrote: »

People dying of starvation puts a lot of stress on the system you're trying to build. Is famine conducive to stable economies and governments? Furthermore, it's not as if food aid is enabling substantial population growth, because it's generally not long-term. It happens around disaster events, and mitigates the short-term disruption of the food supply.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    If the problem is population growth, then more funding for sex education would be appropriate. A lot better than standing back and watching people starve to death.

Sarcastro wrote: »
    The idea being that a harvest comes in cycles. If there is no extra food, people will die off in droves. The food supply will stretch exactly as far as the number of people it can support. The next time around, the harvest will be around the same amount which has been naturally established as enough to feed everyone. No more aid will be required, and that country will be self-sustaining.

Is there a documented case of famine ever helping a country's economy?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I believe this is often the case. One of the problems that occurs in this situation is that food becomes such a valued commodity there is a great deal of overhead, crime and violence surrounding it's distribution - only a small percentage of donations actually get to the people they are trying to support.

I thought we were contributing to population growth by providing food. How could that be if very little of it reaches its destination?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I thought we were contributing to population growth by providing food. How could that be if very little of it reaches its destination?

Elkamil is made of win and awesome.

MrMister on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sarcastro, this isn't some brilliant insight you've had. Charities haven't been doling out food and happily ignoring the root causes of problems for decades, if ever. Read some charity's webpages about where your money goes.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    MrMister wrote: »

Elkamil is made of win and awesome.

Hey, what about me and my cucumbers with condoms programme?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    If the problem is population growth, then more funding for sex education would be appropriate. A lot better than standing back and watching people starve to death.

I agree this would be more ideal. In practice, birth control methods are startlingly ineffective. One is the cost of the products in play (A day's wage for a condom is pretty steep for some, female BC is another luxury often out of range) and another relates to prioritization. Medication to stop deadly illnessness first, then running water, then food, then stuff to hold off the babies. By the time they hit the end, there isn't much or anything to go around.

Is there a documented case of famine ever helping a country's economy?[/QUOTE]

Heh. Dunno, we didn't really start caring until after the fifties, by which time we had intervention methods in play. Certainly there are cases where a country's famine is exploited by warlords to create a false economy, and many cases where foriegn aid is exchanged for 'favors' cashed in by other countries. I'm thinking specifically of Africa, where a number of countries became heavily in debt by means of trying to improve thier overall quality of life to a minimal subsistance level.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I agree this would be more ideal. In practice, birth control methods are startlingly ineffective. One is the cost of the products in play (A day's wage for a condom is pretty steep for some, female BC is another luxury often out of range) and another relates to prioritization. Medication to stop deadly illnessness first, then running water, then food, then stuff to hold off the babies. By the time they hit the end, there isn't much or anything to go around.

Most of the time those agencies provide condoms for free, not for a day's wage. They aren't available anymore thanks to Bush barring funding for agencies that hand 'em out rather than solely teaching abstinence to the little heathens, but ignoring that idiocy AIDS agencies and similiar have plenty of barrier type birth control methods free and clear to whoever takes them. Making people consider it normal to use is another matter.

Also, these generally don't follow a specific or logical course. Everyone has their own pet issue and they try and promote it/give it aid before they deal with other stuff. AIDS organizations don't give as much of a shit about malaria as 'The Council to Promote DDT Usage in Sub Saharan Africa' does, which really couldn't give two shits about malnutrition outside of all those flies the starving babies seem to attract, etc.

moniker on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The trouble with most food aid is it never get to the people who need it.

Until there's a solution to the depostic government systems of the third world the hunger issue will persist

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Æthelred wrote: »
    Sarcastro, this isn't some brilliant insight you've had. Charities haven't been doling out food and happily ignoring the root causes of problems for decades, if ever. Read some charity's webpages about where your money goes.

No no, it's not really about the situation, as much as I was hoping to explore the morality of a few (possibly) opposing ideas.

One being 'when is it okay to allow a person to die?', another being 'if helping someone puts them in a state of dependancy where they could/can not exist without your help, should you have helped them in the first place?' and with that, 'if your help extends the situation, but the situation itself is [bad], is that extension harmful, and should you do it?'. These are somewhat in conflict with 'I should help whenever I can in whatever way is possible, and indeed may even have an obligation to do so.'

I thought famine as an example grouped these nicely in a collective, as it includes elements of all of these things. Since it deals with a group of people, the tangental effects of the interplay between these ideas show up as portions of the group.

For example, the interplay between the dependancy issue and the allowing people to die issue shows itself as a general willingness to help, but shows many people personally unaffected but aware of the issue who choose not to help. This suggests (to me anyways) that most people feel (not when pressed for an answer but in real life action) that it is quite alright to allow someone to die if you are not personally affected by the issue, and are only minimally aware of thier situation. It also suggests that there are those who feel a strong enough attachment to those outside their local picture that they would give a portion of thier resources to see that person's continuation - even when not directly involved.

I may have erred slightly in choosing an example which holds no real innate conflict for people, but I didn't want a biased representation either. Famine makes a good choice because it's everywhere. There's even ads for it. "Pay me a dollar every day or I kill this random kid." and such. Am I to believe that I am party to murder for not responding to a TV ad? What are my obligations, in real terms? Am I involved in every bad situation I am aware of? Are there opportunities for enmurderment I am unaware of, and am I a bad person for not actively seeking them out?

Where does that line lie? Is awareness obligation, and even if it were obligation, what right does society have to hold me to it? Is there justification in thinking that people should fend for themselves by default? Is standing by and letting the default occur actually evil? Is not intervening the same as being part of the cause?

These are the issues I would hope to see explored, although I admit I am unsure as to how to make that happen.

Edit: Meanwhile, carry on, carry on - World Hunger, totally an important issue. Definately some world wide inequalities going on with that.

What's with these warlords grabbing all the food? Don't we have enough guns to make them stop that?

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Feral wrote: »

Is this not the case?
    Pretty much. Someone - I forget who - has documented that in the 20th century there was never such a thing as a "natural" famine; there were always political factors at play making the situation worse then simply poor crops or a lack of rain.

The only problem with bringing in food aid is that it damages the potential for the country to grow more. Flood the market with a commodity - for free - and it becomes that much harder for the farmers to stay in business. However, in the short term there's often not much else you can do. I guess ideally you dump your sacks of USAID grain on them, as well as stuff like fertilizers, irrigation equipment, infrastructure, etc. that will help offset the costs of the local food producers.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    DieboldDiebold __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007

Ugh, anytime I hear someone say something stupid like this...

Just because there hasn't been a documented case doesn't mean it can't happen.

Diebold on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Diebold wrote: »

There are very good reasons to suppose that famine will almost never help a country's economy, though. What with how starving people go from contributors to dependents, and how significant starvation contributes to political unrest and violence, both of which further destabilize a community.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

There are very good reasons to suppose that family will almost never help a country's economy, though. What with how starving people go from contributors to dependents, and how significant starvation contributes to political unrest and violence, both of which further destabilize a community.

What!?

Diebold on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

There are very good reasons to suppose that family will almost never help a country's economy, though. What with how starving people go from contributors to dependents, and how significant starvation contributes to political unrest and violence, both of which further destabilize a community.

What!?

I forget who said it, but.
    No country is more than three meals away from a revolution.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    What!?

Fixed

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Famine incapacitates healthy adults who could be working, and brings tremendous instability.

If you want to argue that that's good for the economy, be my guest.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Famine incapacitates healthy adults who could be working, and brings tremendous instability.

The logic here is getting circular as hell.

If they really were working hard why would they be in a famine in the first place? To me that implies there is a different problem.

Diebold on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

If they really were working hard why would they be in a famine in the first place? To me that implies there is a different problem.

Famines are from a lack of food, not just effort. Hard work doesn't always pay off.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    And now for some sanity. And by sanity, I mean real economists and numbers.

Destitution not dearth
    “MUCH about poverty is obvious enough,” wrote Amartya Sen, one of the world's best-known and most respected economists, in his 1982 classic, “Poverty and Famines”. “One does not need elaborate criteria, cunning measurement, or probing analysis to recognise raw poverty and to understand its antecedents.” But the thesis Mr Sen propounded in that book was not obvious at all: some of the worst famines, he argued, have taken place without any significant fall in the supply of food.

One of the examples Mr Sen chose to illustrate his thesis was a famine that gathered force from 1968 to 1973 in the Sahel region of Africa. The Sahel, from the Arabic word for “shore”, typically refers to a group of six countries on the western fringes of the Sahara, where the desert sands lap up against the vegetation of Africa's semi-arid zones. The countries worst affected by this disaster 30 years ago were Mauritania, Mali, Upper Volta (now called Burkina Faso)—and Niger.

Niger is once again in the grip of a food crisis, if not a full-blown famine. The distress sales of livestock, the heavy migration and the deprivation the country suffered in the early 1970s have all revisited it again this year. How well does Mr Sen's thesis explain the country's latest encounter with mass hunger?

Much about Niger's current crisis appears obvious enough: the rains last year ended early; the locusts were rampant. Who can be surprised that the country is short of food? But Niger's harvest last November was merely mediocre, not disastrous. Although the rains ended early, the country's cereal production was only about 11% below its five-year average, according to the UN's Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO). It was 22% greater than the harvest of 2000-01, a year that passed without alarm. The locusts did more damage to the region's fodder than to its food, prompting pastoralists and their herds to begin an early migration to greener pastures in Niger's coastal neighbours.

Purchasing powerlessness

Niger's distress shows up most clearly in prices, not quantities. A pastoralist's terms of trade depend on two prices in particular: the price of what he can sell (his livestock) and the price of what he must buy (food). In Niger this year, the latter has soared; the former has plummeted. According to one report, the price of millet and sorghum rose to 75-80% above its average for the last five years. By June, the sale of one goat bought half as much millet as it had six months earlier. It is precisely this kind of cruel twist in the terms of trade, Mr Sen argued, that can bring a community to its knees. These unfortunates will suffer a lack of power to purchase food, even if there is no lack of food to purchase. Why did prices move against Niger's pastoralists so far and so fast?

The spike in the food price may have reflected high foreign demand as much as low domestic supply. Traditionally, during the lean months before their harvest, Niger's farmers import cereals that are cheaper to grow in wetter, coastal neighbouring countries than in their own country. But according to CILSS, an intergovernmental body responsible for the region's food security, significant amounts of grain have this year been flowing in the opposite direction. Ghana, Benin, Côte d'Ivoire and Nigeria have all been buying up grain in the region.

This is partly because these countries' own harvests were disappointing. But in Nigeria's case, the FAO thinks that government policies were also to blame. Nigeria has imposed controls on imports of rice and wheat products; it has also taken steps to protect and promote its millers and poultry farmers. Both of these policies have raised demand in the country for millet and sorghum, which provide alternative sources of flour as well as chicken-feed. As a result, Nigerian cereals that might have found their way to Niger are instead being consumed at home. Nigeria has twice Niger's income per head and more than ten times its population. Its powerful market pull may have helped to undermine the purchasing power of Niger's pastoralists. “In the fight for market command over food,” Mr Sen noted in his book, “one group can suffer precisely from another group's prosperity, with the Devil taking the hindmost.”

Nigeria, with Burkina Faso and Mali, has also restricted grain exports to Niger this year, violating its trade treaties with the country. Such restrictions have often played an ignoble, supporting role in the history of famine. A ban on cereal exports between India's provinces, for example, condemned Bengal to ruinously high prices in its great famine of 1943.

What of the other term in the terms of trade? Livestock prices have fallen in the past year, partly because northern pastures were damaged and animals were emaciated as a result. But the deterioration in the terms of trade can also generate its own momentum. Higher cereals prices prompt herdsmen to sell more of their livestock. These distress sales drive the price of animals down further, forcing pastoralists to sell still more of their herd. In his book, Mr Sen raised the theoretical possibility that a pastoralist's supply curve might actually bend back on itself: as the relative price of livestock falls, a hungry pastoralist might supply more animals to the market, not fewer as elementary economic principles would imply.

If mass hunger were simply the result of there not being enough to eat, the remedy would be obvious: more food. The emergency rations now being shipped, flown and trucked into the Sahel are indeed necessary and urgent by the time hunger and destitution are acute and widespread. But if mass hunger begins with a collapse in purchasing power, rather than a shortage of food, it does not take an airlift to prevent it. What is needed is a way to restore lost purchasing power by, for example, offering employment, at a suitable wage, on public works. The market respects demand, not need. But give the needy enough pull in the market, and the market will do most of the rest.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

.....O_o

Yeah, those damn lazy farmers and their not controlling rainfall, pestilence, or nature through the sweat of their brows.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Famines are from a lack of food, not just effort. Hard work doesn't always pay off.

Then what does it matter whether or not they are incapacitated because of a famine? There wouldn't be any bullshit work to do anyway even if they were healthy.

Diebold on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Then what does it matter whether or not they are incapacitated because of a famine? There wouldn't be any bullshit work to do anyway even if they were healthy.

...what?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I was going to post that maybe Diebold just doesn't understand economics very well. But I think that's being far too generous.

Anyway, to play along with the madness, one result of a famine is that it's not just farmers dying. In fact, depending on the severity, the farmers may be the least affected - if they manage to eek out some kind of crop, they can take care of themselves, but won't be selling any surplus. Every other person in the community however is out of luck - teachers, shop owners, labourers, etc. etc. etc.

Now, if Diebold can make a case of how that could be a good thing, I'm all ears.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Now, if Diebold can make a case of how that could be a good thing, I'm all ears.

The lack of food at home means there will be a greater need to import food from other places, making the currency stronger by comparison.

Diebold on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The lack of food at home means there will be a greater need to import food from other places, making the currency stronger by comparison.
    Importing food on such a scale requires sufficient foreign currency reserves, like U.S. dollars, Euros, British Pounds, or even South African Rand - people don't do business internationally in third-world currencies.

Buying up the necessary foreign currency will devalue the local currency.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Importing food on such a scale requires sufficient foreign currency reserves, like U.S. dollars, Euros, British Pounds, or even South African Rand - people don't do business internationally in third-world currencies.

Buying up the necessary foreign currency will devalue the local currency.

At which point, what you do is you set the value of your currency at a 1 to 1 ratio internally in your own country. So for each dollar your third world government recieves, you give 1 credit to your citizen worker. In reality, 1 dollar may be able to purchase many credits because your currency is so worthless, but only on inbound exports. The result is that the government hordes a lot of cash, and the citizens get less cash than the government.

But the cash the citizens are using on the streets is enough for their everyday needs.

Diebold on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

How, exactly, do you solve a problem of supply and demand and the effect of the global economy on both by working harder?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

How, exactly, do you solve a problem of supply and demand and the effect of the global economy on both by working harder?

After you pull yourself up by your bootstraps you can sell them to other developing nations at a permium.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

That is your position?

What are you implying? That they should work less? If you want them to work less then a famine is right up your ally.

Diebold on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

That is your position?

What are you implying? That they should work less? If you want them to work less then a famine is right up your ally.

I'm suggesting that it's a supply and demand problem that has nothing to do with how hard they've been working.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

That is your position?

I'm suggesting that it's a supply and demand problem that has nothing to do with how hard they've been working.
    Famine incapacitates healthy adults who could be working

Then what the hell was the point of that?

Diebold on