Options

Gotta get back. Back to the past. Samurai Jack.

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited March 2017 in Social Entropy++
Long ago, in a distant land, I, Aku, the shapeshifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil! But a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now...the fool seeks to return to the past...and undo the future THAT IS AKU!

FtJYGTU.jpg

In 2001, Genndy Tartakovsky, then creator of one of the first original hits of Cartoon Network, made a series called Samurai Jack. It was about a samurai (who is actually not named Jack; it's just a nickname) who was sent to the future by his opponent, Aku, a sort of evil demonic entity that took over the world in the intermittent time between Jack's departure and reappearance in the future. In the original series, the basic gist of the plot was Jack following leads on potential ways back to the past, where he could return home and destroy Aku before the world got fucked up. Of course, something would go wrong and Jack would have to find another way home next week. A basic plot, but the animation top-notch, with minimal dialogue that let the cinematic action scenes speak for themselves. It also helped that Aku provided much of the comic relief, giving a balance to the stoic and usually silent Jack. Yet, after four seasons, the series was ended without conclusion. Tartakovsky had been discussing a movie to provide the conclusion to the story, but after many years nothing ever came to fruition.

Until now.

Now, nearly 13 years after ending, Jack is back on Adult Swim. Season 5 is a small collection of 10 episodes intended to provide a conclusion to the story once and for all. The general premise is that 50 years have passed since Season 4, and Aku appears victorious, having destroyed all known portals back to the past. Despite the passage of time, Jack himself has not aged at all as some side-effect of Aku's initial time travel. Jack is now a shell of whom he was, suffering from guilt over his perceived failure as he hallucinates haunting images of his parents and all the people victimized by Aku's tyranny. Interestingly, Aku is also not the same as before, as his original plan to simply let nature kill Jack for him is no longer an option, and he has slumped into a deep depression as he tries to pretend that his arch-nemesis is no longer a threat.

The show hasn't skipped a beat since it left. The animation is as excellent as ever, and everything runs along with incredibly tight pacing. It also continues the time-honored tradition of Jack ending every fight in his underwear. The one major difference is that Adult Swim ups the show's rating, allowing for Jack to fight humans and that people will bleed and even die! The increased rating isn't that bad, outside of the violence, as nobody is cussing up a storm and Aku isn't making sex jokes. It's very much in the same tone as the original, with the exception that the violence is more realistic as opposed to ALL ROBOTS ALL THE TIME.

The shows airs every Saturday at 11pm EST on Adult Swim. Missed an episode? All the episodes appear here roughly 12 hours after airing on TV. You'll need to log in via your cable provider to watch them, however. So sit back, and enjoy the remaining seven episodes of Jack.
f15vwEl.png
Watch out

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on
«13456

Posts

  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    So I don't have a cable provider. Is there another way to legally watch the new season?

    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    It's been so nice to have this show back without even skipping a beat on the quality end
    Ep 3
    The fucking blood highlighting holy shit

  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    That punch in episode 3...

    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I really hope this ends with a return to the guardian.

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Fig-D wrote: »
    So I don't have a cable provider. Is there another way to legally watch the new season?
    It's twenty bucks for the whole season on iTunes. Episode 3 is already available for download, so you don't have to wait that long.

    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    So I know they had the livestream of the past seasons but is there a more convenient way to watch them? I may have never actually watched Samurai Jack back in the day.

  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    So I know they had the livestream of the past seasons but is there a more convenient way to watch them? I may have never actually watched Samurai Jack back in the day.
    Hulu has the whole series if you want to sub for a month. It's only 13 episodes a season, so it's not that bad.

    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    That punch in episode 3...

    Yeah, just...

    Fuck, that was brutal.

  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I liked the part where Jack adopted a dog a dog adopted Jack

    cdci44qazyo3.gif

  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Crossposting from the TV thread:

    Yeah, this latest ep of Jack is my favorite so far

    This show is so pretty. Just stunning and haunting and emotional
    I'm loving the continued wolf/Jack parallels. My kind of storytelling

    Our first Young Jack flashback of the revival! I love young Jack's design, always a treat

    The warped shouting Jack hallucination reminded me of something out of the ATLA ep "Nightmares and Daydreams"

    I think the most intriguing things about this revival are

    1. Where they might be going with Ashi, whether a redemption or something else

    2. What's up with the ghostly antler samurai? Love the design, very interested to see what it means

  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    This show airs Saturday nights, not Friday. Might want to update the OP

  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Crossposting from the TV thread:

    Yeah, this latest ep of Jack is my favorite so far

    This show is so pretty. Just stunning and haunting and emotional
    I'm loving the continued wolf/Jack parallels. My kind of storytelling

    Our first Young Jack flashback of the revival! I love young Jack's design, always a treat

    The warped shouting Jack hallucination reminded me of something out of the ATLA ep "Nightmares and Daydreams"

    I think the most intriguing things about this revival are

    1. Where they might be going with Ashi, whether a redemption or something else

    2. What's up with the ghostly antler samurai? Love the design, very interested to see what it means
    Hah. I was also reminded of an ATLA episode. But in my case, I was thinking of Zuko's dream sequences in "The Earth King".

    Enlong on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I

    Love

    Scaramouche

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I was never into Samurai Jack as a kid. The idea of a show that was all action all the time with very little in the way of character development and worldbuilding (based on what little I saw, anyway) just kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

    But I cannot deny that the new season is real good. Condensing it all into a single tight arc is definitely making it work for me.

    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Samurai Jack was amazing when I was a kid, but I'm not sure about the new direction they're taking it. The lightheartedness of the original meant it could avoid the heavy stuff, such as if Jack does manage to get back to the past and kill Aku then he is essentially "murdering" the existence of countless lives that live in the future he went to as it's erased.

    The tone in the reboot though, I can't help but shake the idea that it will run into this towards the end. Unless Jack just accepts that time has passed and he can still kill Aku without traveling back in time.

  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I am pretty sure that Jack is being haunted either by his
    destiny, or death, with regards to the ghost Samurai. And that's why he keeps running from it.

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Samurai Jack was amazing when I was a kid, but I'm not sure about the new direction they're taking it. The lightheartedness of the original meant it could avoid the heavy stuff, such as if Jack does manage to get back to the past and kill Aku then he is essentially "murdering" the existence of countless lives that live in the future he went to as it's erased.

    The tone in the reboot though, I can't help but shake the idea that it will run into this towards the end. Unless Jack just accepts that time has passed and he can still kill Aku without traveling back in time.

    Eh there's ways to time travel around this

    Like in dbz when cell gets killed in the past trunks still goes back to his own future and kills him there too

    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure that Jack is being haunted either by his
    destiny, or death, with regards to the ghost Samurai. And that's why he keeps running from it.
    The design of the ghost screams Death to me. It would make sense given his whole not-aging thing. He's being haunted by that which has been denied to him/that which he continues to run from.

    cdci44qazyo3.gif

  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Samurai Jack was amazing when I was a kid, but I'm not sure about the new direction they're taking it. The lightheartedness of the original meant it could avoid the heavy stuff, such as if Jack does manage to get back to the past and kill Aku then he is essentially "murdering" the existence of countless lives that live in the future he went to as it's erased.

    The tone in the reboot though, I can't help but shake the idea that it will run into this towards the end. Unless Jack just accepts that time has passed and he can still kill Aku without traveling back in time.

    Eh there's ways to time travel around this

    Like in dbz when cell gets killed in the past trunks still goes back to his own future and kills him there too

    Parallel timelines was the explanation with that. I suspect Jack's world is just one.

  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I dunno, the whole opening monologue is about "undoing the future that is Aku"

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, this is really, really good

  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    I almost thought that the Shadow was
    The silhouette of his father riding off to fight Aku. Which still leaves the impression that it is supposed to be a specter of the past or maybe Death

    8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    I almost thought that the Shadow was
    The silhouette of his father riding off to fight Aku. Which still leaves the impression that it is supposed to be a specter of the past or maybe Death
    Oh man that'd be pretty good too.

    cdci44qazyo3.gif

  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I dunno, the whole opening monologue is about "undoing the future that is Aku"

    OTOH, Jack has given up a lot of time travel opportunities for the chance to help people in the moment. He wants to prevent all the suffering Aku has already caused; yet he can't bring himself to see the current timeline as expendable either. Whether that is because he thinks it's a split timeline deal, or if he's just incapable of ignoring someone in need, is unclear.

    Enlong on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I dunno, the whole opening monologue is about "undoing the future that is Aku"

    OTOH, Jack has given up a lot of time travel opportunities for the chance to help people in the moment. He wants to prevent all the suffering Aku has already caused; yet he can't bring himself to see the current timeline as expendable either. Whether that is because he thinks it's a split timeline deal, or if he's just incapable of ignoring someone in need, is unclear.

    It goes against the code that Jack was raised by to selfishly pursue his own interest and ignore the needs of others.

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I also think that the whole point of the thing with the Guardian is that going back without fixing the future isn't actually possible

    The thematic point being that Jack isn't wrong to consider every instance of suffering as worth alleviating no matter how hopeless it might seem

  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    That sounds about right.

    To be honest, I definitely want to see Jack kill Aku in the present. Heck, if the last episode has him do that, and the last shot is of him entering a time portal, and we don't see his fight with Aku back in the past? I wouldn't mind that at all.

  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Hmm...preview for next ep is interesting.
    "Samurai Jack partners with a deadly assassin in order to escape a gargantuan creature that has swallowed them whole." Both he and the last Daughter of Aku survive the fall perhaps and have to work together?

    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Hmm...preview for next ep is interesting.
    "Samurai Jack partners with a deadly assassin in order to escape a gargantuan creature that has swallowed them whole." Both he and the last Daughter of Aku survive the fall perhaps and have to work together?
    Ashi, by dint of being the only one of a set of otherwise indistinguishable characters to actually have her name spoken on screen and have a character beat run opposite that of the others, is essentially guaranteed to be significant according to the laws of narrative conventions.

    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yes, very much, and I'm stoked

  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am pretty sure that Jack is being haunted either by his
    destiny, or death, with regards to the ghost Samurai. And that's why he keeps running from it.
    The design of the ghost screams Death to me. It would make sense given his whole not-aging thing. He's being haunted by that which has been denied to him/that which he continues to run from.
    Jack would only be about 70 if aging were normal. The not-aging thing hasn't moved into the whole Cheating Death category just yet.

    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Babe,

    I

    Love

    Scaramouche

    l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Fuck Rick and Morty, there I said it. I want my Samurai Jack.

  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    Fuck Rick and Morty, there I said it. I want my Samurai Jack.

    Choose your weapon.

  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    rick and morty is the samurai jack of cartoons

    gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure that Jack is being haunted either by his
    destiny, or death, with regards to the ghost Samurai. And that's why he keeps running from it.
    My money is on the ghost Samurai being the one who made him lose his sword.

    Jack has to go back and defeat him to reclaim it, but he is seriously afraid of that guy

  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    Fuck Rick and Morty, there I said it. I want my Samurai Jack.

    Choose your weapon.

    I lost my sword

  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    Fuck Rick and Morty, there I said it. I want my Samurai Jack.

    Choose your weapon.

    Bare fists because Samurai Jack is god damn amazing.

  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    Fuck Rick and Morty, there I said it. I want my Samurai Jack.

    Choose your weapon.

    Bare fists because Samurai Jack is god damn amazing.

    Okay then ...urp... I choose the belch portal gun.

Sign In or Register to comment.