Options

Nier Auto[chat]a

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Musk is basically the real life version of Tony Stark during his asshole drunk phase. *shrug*

Dude is a dick. He is a bit insane. But he has money and is throwing it into things that should probably be looked at because if they do work out will be a pretty decent social good.

Tesla is a great example. If it works out it is a nice electric car with a good driving range. The battery systems his company is developing will help make solar as a single or majority source really possible in a lot of different regions. SpaceX is neat and at least means we are still shooting rockets. LEO is also something that could probably stay private and let the public try the more expensive farther ranging stuff, if people remembered we get great returns on investment for it because the tech filters to the private sector.

Shit like the neural implant? If they get it working it is world changing. And can do a lot of good for folks with lots of medical issues.

And it is one step closer to me getting a robot body.

Still Musk is a dick and I would refuse to work for him without a big raise no matter how much I want his projects to succeed.

I see that agree "Blameless Cleric"

Are you telling me that if SpaceX wanted you to draw animated rockets for an elementary school video abkut the value of exploration, you would refuse because Musk is personally distasteful?

Come on now.

You act like Musk would pay artists in currency rather than "exposure"

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Stabbing myself with needles is much less terrible than I expected it to be. Assuming I did everything right.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Toukiden suggests the sword as a beginner-weapon, but it's actually pretty fancy.

The naginata is probably the friendliest, happiest weapon to use. It just wants you to mash the button so it can get faster and faster and hit more and more things at the same time with its nice, wide swings that will probably hit the things you want to hit. And if you can't reach something, it has a big jump that just goes up so that you don't need to aim where it goes.

The fanciest thing it has is a little dodgy-dodge stance that seems pretty lenient on timing.

PLA on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    I want to take a nap at work but the help desk area is shielded only by glass walls

We have a "sick room." It's just a room with a bed and no windows.

I think it may have been previously used for pregnant mothers to breastpump, but now it's just called our sick room.

It's fucking great. When I get a migraine I can go lie down in pitch-black quiet room until my medication kicks in. We need to pass a law that every company over X employees should have one of these.

They're also nice places to get a beej

I mean, so I am told

Here is an actual useful post. I strongly encourage everyone to study it closely and identify the........

salient features.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    You doing ok, Neco?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I like the interplay between Antimemetics and Fifthism, but as corny/hammy as SCP-1425 may get, I genuinely got creeped out by some of the book excerpts, as well as the curious usage of Fifthist-toned words that cultists randomly let creep into their vocab

Hear the music now. This is not a metaphor. If your will is strong enough, there will be music now. Remember now that nothing in this post is a metaphor.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    You doing ok, Neco?

Yes! I just recently switched a prescription from pills to injections. Today was my first non medically supervised self stab.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    wazilla wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    I would honestly like to prolong that hesitation and intimacy right before the kiss, that's what I really want from a quickly-becoming-real blindfolded chat makeout session

Just that moment of near-connection...

carbonite freeze me as I am about to kiss a beautiful puppy, for ever

To be suspended at the crest of the wave of anticipation the moment before it breaks ... forever ....

The actual worst

The anticipation so completely surpasses the event though...

I wonder if disliking anticipation is a characteristic of having a lifelong mood disorder like depression or anxiety.

Because what I anticipate is always far worse than reality.

Sometimes I don't even anticipate a catastrophe! I just anticipate that the event will be disappointing. Then when it's actually kinda okay then I feel better.

It has taken a lot of effort to not always anticipate catastrophe. I think Querry's been very helpful in this regard (I feel very secure with her, which is new).

I'd bet it's associated.

For me, it's common for me to anticipate that either:

1) The thing I'm anticipating isn't going to happen at all. This happens a lot when traveling. Once I'm in the airplane seat and in the air, I relax. Beforehand, I'm worried that I'm going to get held up at TSA and miss my flight, or there will be some dumb mechanical problem with the plane and the flight will get canceled.

I don't worry that the plane will crash or anything like that. Just that I'll end up sitting in an airport terminal playing a game on my phone.

2) The thing I'm anticipating won't be fun. This happens a lot when dating and going to parties. I don't want to go because it's going to be stupid and I'm not going to connect with anybody and I'd just have a better time at home listening to Swans playing video games.

Hmm

I worry about the plane crashing, and that's actually been worse lately (I think my fears around catastrophic things have gotten worse since meeting Querry, because now I am VERY NOT AMBIVALENT about death and dying, because there are so many things I have to do and something really, really worth living for).

I find it interesting because I sort of have like, the more anxious version of those fears? I'm not afraid things will be not fun, I'm afraid that they'll suck (I way overprepared for the first date with Querry, for example), and I'm way more likely to worry about catastrophic failure than being held up (if it's held up I'm like, whatever? And rarely actually feel anxiety about it).

Going through TSA checkpoints is anxiety producing for separate reasons, but I have my global entry now, so suck it plebes, basically.

omg yes. TSA Pre-check and Global Entry are godsends.

I mean, to a certain degree it feels like a racket. They imposed additional barriers on us, that we know don't do much good, and then charge us money to circumvent those barriers.

But that's the world we live in, and $100-ish every 5 years to deal with significantly less TSA bullshit? Fuck yes.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    "Remember now" is a weird phrase.

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Stabbing myself with needles is much less terrible than I expected it to be. Assuming I did everything right.

I can manage needles but I cannot manage using them myself.

Dunno why.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

My students stabbed crayfish with needles today.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    You doing ok, Neco?

Sex steroids

• Options
    edited March 2017
    PLA wrote: »
    "Remember now" is a weird phrase.

It's a bit of a hint that these are sort of mind control phrases

Some helpful advice that will save you in your coming weeks:

Mirrors are for other people.
    Sit in a dark room by yourself for at least an hour per day. Move around as much as you’re made to.
    If you feel yourself developing a soul, go outside immediately and follow the direction of the smoke until you meet them.
    Always listen for the sound slon of trwoll plr mlgn thei.
    Love the mods. When you hate them, they see you.

Eddy on
  • Options
    I would honestly like to prolong that hesitation and intimacy right before the kiss, that's what I really want from a quickly-becoming-real blindfolded chat makeout session

To be suspended at the crest of the wave of anticipation the moment before it breaks ... forever ....

The actual worst

I wonder if disliking anticipation is a characteristic of having a lifelong mood disorder like depression or anxiety.

Sometimes I don't even anticipate a catastrophe! I just anticipate that the event will be disappointing. Then when it's actually kinda okay then I feel better.

It has taken a lot of effort to not always anticipate catastrophe. I think Querry's been very helpful in this regard (I feel very secure with her, which is new).

I'd bet it's associated.

1) The thing I'm anticipating isn't going to happen at all. This happens a lot when traveling. Once I'm in the airplane seat and in the air, I relax. Beforehand, I'm worried that I'm going to get held up at TSA and miss my flight, or there will be some dumb mechanical problem with the plane and the flight will get canceled.

I don't worry that the plane will crash or anything like that. Just that I'll end up sitting in an airport terminal playing a game on my phone.

2) The thing I'm anticipating won't be fun. This happens a lot when dating and going to parties. I don't want to go because it's going to be stupid and I'm not going to connect with anybody and I'd just have a better time at home listening to Swans playing video games.

Hmm

I worry about the plane crashing, and that's actually been worse lately (I think my fears around catastrophic things have gotten worse since meeting Querry, because now I am VERY NOT AMBIVALENT about death and dying, because there are so many things I have to do and something really, really worth living for).

I find it interesting because I sort of have like, the more anxious version of those fears? I'm not afraid things will be not fun, I'm afraid that they'll suck (I way overprepared for the first date with Querry, for example), and I'm way more likely to worry about catastrophic failure than being held up (if it's held up I'm like, whatever? And rarely actually feel anxiety about it).

Going through TSA checkpoints is anxiety producing for separate reasons, but I have my global entry now, so suck it plebes, basically.

I mean, to a certain degree it feels like a racket. They imposed additional barriers on us, that we know don't do much good, and then charge us money to circumvent those barriers.

But that's the world we live in, and $100-ish every 5 years to deal with significantly less TSA bullshit? Fuck yes.

Tilder suggested that it might be unethical to pay, because of its racketlike nature. Since Global Entry is paid to CBP (I think) it feels less gross, though, and like... I don't really have an option, honestly, without making flying a supremely shitty experience (much more so).

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I love introducing my boss to new people as the OWNER of the company, and I do the NWO wolf pack thing and lean towards him.

Ok, you have to be there

in the yale youtube course on early medieval europe when talking about Bede the prof mentioned that he is p much certainly the most educated, learned person in europe at the time. But the very fact that it is possible to indicate that someone is clearly the most educated is a sign of how much of civilization had broken down. In a well functioning society there would be so many candidates it would be impossible to say.

in much the same way, i think being able to say that X single person owns a company says more about the size of the company than the importance of the person

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    You doing ok, Neco?

Sex steroids

neco is disqualified from the Olympiad of Banging

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    You doing ok, Neco?

Sex steroids

neco is disqualified from the Olympiad of Banging

Only amateurs do that, anyway

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i just reread the plot summary of IT

holy shit hahahahah what a terrible book even beyond the child orgy thing

he was on a lot of coke at that point i bet

i hope the film has been totally rewritten

• Options
    i quite liked this contest entry, actually

http://www.scp-wiki.net/3000contestdjkarethday

it's missing a little something, but it's vague enough to be unsettling

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I like the interplay between Antimemetics and Fifthism, but as corny/hammy as SCP-1425 may get, I genuinely got creeped out by some of the book excerpts, as well as the curious usage of Fifthist-toned words that cultists randomly let creep into their vocab

Hear the music now. This is not a metaphor. If your will is strong enough, there will be music now. Remember now that nothing in this post is a metaphor.

The references to celebrities are already a little dated, but if they're read through the lens of a historical document (like "Ronald Reagan Cut Up While talking" in SCP-1981) then they're not so bad.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

The actual worst

I'd bet it's associated.

Hmm

Tilder suggested that it might be unethical to pay, because of its racketlike nature. Since Global Entry is paid to CBP (I think) it feels less gross, though, and like... I don't really have an option, honestly, without making flying a supremely shitty experience (much more so).

Part of Precheck and Nexus/GE is a background check. It's a fairly extensive one since they pull international data. I had a PI I know give me a rough price for an Interpol check and it was $70 if I did it through him. So the $100 is about in line with what the background check would cost.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    You doing ok, Neco?

Yes! I just recently switched a prescription from pills to injections. Today was my first non medically supervised self stab.

STAB

• Options
    Also at my work we have multiple levels of security and I post from my laptop on our contractor wifi which has the fewest barriers. It's segregated from our production network and has its own firewall and Internet connection.

Yet www.scp-wiki.net is still blocked because our firewall categorizes it as "tasteless/gore."

Lawl.

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »

The actual worst

I'd bet it's associated.

Hmm

Part of Precheck and Nexus/GE is a background check. It's a fairly extensive one since they pull international data. I had a PI I know give me a rough price for an Interpol check and it was $70 if I did it through him. So the $100 is about in line with what the background check would cost.

Ah, didn't realize it was international (though that makes sense).

Good thing I am the most angelic of angels.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I want to take a nap at work but the help desk area is shielded only by glass walls

We have a "sick room." It's just a room with a bed and no windows.

I think it may have been previously used for pregnant mothers to breastpump, but now it's just called our sick room.

It's fucking great. When I get a migraine I can go lie down in pitch-black quiet room until my medication kicks in. We need to pass a law that every company over X employees should have one of these.

@feral yes i have used the one at my office twice, once when i was up early and needed to be out drinking all night, and once when i had blood drawn

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2017

I have been enjoying the 3000 contest entries

good ole weird horror

Eddy on
  • Options
    Feral, have you ever been traveling with someone and they gotten free pre-check because you had it?

• Options
    Feral, have you ever been traveling with someone and they gotten free pre-check because you had it?

Only with minors (my niece and nephew).

Never with adults. (I've never tried it.)

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

This episode affected me as a kid. The concept that BBQ is supposed to be messy probably changed my psychology for life.

• Options

I have been enjoying the 3000 contest entries

good ole weird horror

My favorite is probably the reality warping one

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

They wouldn't because you have it. Sometimes at random airlines will sponsor someone for Pre-check which gives you a one time trip through Pre-check.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I think my least favorite SCP is the one where they manage to bring a guy back from the dead.

SCP-2718

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    However airline status often does carry over if you book the tickets correctly. So if you had access to the priority lane then the person traveling with you gets it too.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Wow, no sign of the older side of Derry in that trailer. Not a bit. Are they cutting it out completely? That seems bad.

@cptrugged apparently it's IT: Part 1 The Loser's Club about the kids. And part 2 is the older side.

• Options

Only with minors (my niece and nephew).

Never with adults. (I've never tried it.)

Ok, just wondering. Querry did both legs of our California trip.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It is pretty odd IT is being remade.

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
  • Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    However airline status often does carry over if you book the tickets correctly. So if you had access to the priority lane then the person traveling with you gets it too.

This is what I meant

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy 14 was free to try, now it is super free to try. The level cap you can putter around with has been raised to 35 out of 60.

This discussion has been closed.